Thoughts on the Essendon Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
First let me say that we were playing a team that for all intents and purposes wasn’t a finals standard team. They got there because seemingly everyone else fell over and couldn’t take their chances while Essendon did in Round 22. However credit to them for getting there and they certainly had a first quarter that showed they came to play.

I thought our first quarter was really underwhelming, we turned the ball over too often and they hurt us on the rebound and time and time again seemed to create loose men on the wing. Our tackles weren’t sticking and so often they had loose men in their forward line, not sure how it happened but it seemed like 1 or 2 guys found themselves free every time they went inside forward 50. Towards the end of the quarter the possession count was 30 in favour of Essendon and in many ways we did well to be in front. At least we fought our way through a slow start and went to the break ahead.

From then on it was all one way traffic; we absolutely dominated proceedings and played sensational, direct football. :thumbsu: Our players are always picking the right option; we know when to switch play and when to link up by hand. Again our use of the handball was a feature and our ability to run them off their feet from quarter time onwards. We seem to have no concerns about putting players into apparent danger by hand so long as we have numbers nearby that we can release and then get our run going. Our forward line functioned well after the first break and Tippett was a huge factor up forward presenting such a strong target.

Already excited for next week but the standard of opposition will be a million times better than it was tonight. Not sure who I’d prefer to face, the Saints who would come into the game having lost 3 of 4 matches or the Pies who I think we have a better chance of winning. Either way the odds will be against us as how often does a team outside the 4 even make a Preliminary Final? Not often. However this team has won 4 in a row, is full of confidence and is playing amazing attacking football.

Lastly, hats off to the crowd, 50k is a terrific result. Great atmosphere and the 19th man had quite a few assists. ;)

Player review:

McLeod: Winding back the clock! Doesn’t he love September! Once he gets a sniff of finals footy he lifts his game a few notches and wasn’t he absolutely superb tonight. It’s been a pleasure watching his career and the past 2 months have been some of McLeod’s very best, ever! BOG tonight, well either him or Vince. What a legend.

Otten: Loved his game. Took the game on, took a few solid marks, made the right decisions, had a successful first final.

Rutten: Not sure his opponents managed a kick.

Vince: How good is this guy? :eek: Wow, I’m shocked at what a complete footballer he’s become. Now a contested footy winning machine as well as being a super dangerous outside player. How about some of those spearing passes into the forward line? Has 10+ contested possessions, drilled a goal, had nearly 30 touches in a night where he was targeted all night. Gun.

Symes: Didn’t think it was his best night actually, coughed up a goal with a poor bit of indecision in the third term. However as usual he went in extremely hard and took a couple of strong grabs so it was another solid performance.

Reilly: CLASS. :) ‘Only’ had 18 touches but would’ve surely been at near 100% for disposal efficiency. Every time he touched the ball he made the right decision. What a superb user of the ball he is and surely any doubt about his spot in the side (even questioned by me) should be quashed now.

Burton: Got to admit I thought he looked real rusty in the first half and he was struggling to run at full pace and his chasing in particular was being exposed. However in the second half he looked more dangerous and took some wonderful contested marks and ended up with 3 goals, can’t complain about that. Quiet last week, better tonight, next week he should be hitting top form.

Knights: Extremely quiet first term; don’t think he had a touch. However he really lifted thereafter and had 17 touches, 5 marks and 3 goals in another strong performance from the forward line with the occasional run on the wing. His first goal was a gem, only 5 minutes prior he had a shot from the exact same spot and came up short so he had his sighter and drilled the next. The second was another ripper, 50 out on a tight angle and one that goes against a left footer but he got beautiful reserve swing. ;) Hopefully he won’t be in any trouble for a kneeing incident, slight brain fade.

Mackay: Started slowly and had an uncharacteristic turnover in the first term which eventually resulted in a goal. First half was ineffective but his second half was outstanding. Finished with 19 possessions and a lovely goal in the last from a great half volley pick up. Love watching him play.

Johncock: How he didn’t make All-Australian is beyond me, he is an absolute gun! How good was that play in the third quarter where he beat his opponent and then fisted the ball to a teammate. We went down the other end and I think scored a goal. He’s a ripper.

Maric: Admittedly up against no ruckmen but he had his career high in hit-outs and I liked his influence around the ground. Had some superb taps and went forward to kick a goal and good to see he was pumped! Loving his willingness to run hard from the ruck contest to the wings to make himself an option, his confidence is clearly growing.

Sellar: Continues to develop as a player and I joined in the huge chorus of applause when he went off after a courageous act and then the reception when he came back on. Good to see he got a goal at the end, he deserved it.

Porplyzia: 5 goals from 9 kicks and he also applied 6 tackles, what a little champion. :thumbsu:

Tippett: Re-sign him for life please! Probably the most important player in our team, without him our forward line wouldn’t be a shadow of what it is now. 11 possessions, 17 hit-outs and 4 goals. Some tremendous grabs up forward and he pretty much destroyed the somehow AA squad member Fletcher when they went head to head.

Doughty: Slaughtered Watson, another tremendous tagging job.

Dangerfield: The kid is gold and what a fine showing in his first final. In a stat that says it all about Danger, of his 11 possessions 8 were contested. Kicked his customary two goals and had a few clearances when he used his great speed to burst clear of the pack.

Douglas: Absolutely loved his first half and he looked like the player he promised to be in his first year. Kicked two goals and had some wonderful precise field kicks that hit teammates on the chest. Went missing a bit after half time and unfortunately for him, despite his good form would probably be first out for VB.

Stevens: Didn’t do a whole lot but really didn’t need to. A few courageous acts running back with the flight of the ball but I thought his man got away on the lead a bit and he looked a bit slow on occasions.

Thompson: Stats only show 20 touches but I thought he was very good. Strong around the contest and to me provided a real leadership role out there. Thankfully it was only cramped because I thought our chances were diminished with the possibility of him missing next week.

Goodwin: Solid as a rock, didn’t make a poor decision all night and used the ball well when he had it.

Hentschel: Didn’t do a whole lot, in a few ways in a similar boat to Burton. I really liked his chasing and harassing of the opponent though.

Edwards: Better than a 17 possession game would indicate and see Goodwin’s comments.

Great write up Drum. Touch harsh on Symes made, but apart from that you're right on my line of thinking!

PS - Rutten had an opponent?

I though a big training cone wearing #1 was being attended by him?

I can't wait to tell my Grand kids how lucky i was to watch a fella named McLeod play 327* games (and counting) for the AFC

We have been blessed by some wonderful talent

Riccuito- All time great
McLeod- see above, could go past Roo IF we go deep into September. Could nickname him Mr September. Or Norm. Or they could name a medal in his honour.
Edwards- Doesn't get the accolades he deserves
Goodwin- Injury cruelled what could have been another 300 gamer
Hart- another champion of the AFC and the AFL

Seriously how good has it been watching these guys. Hopefully we can watch a couple of them for a few more weeks this year ;)

Now if the Saints and Pies can belt the shit out of each other, it would be most appreciated.

Good report Drummond. Spot on with your player analysis.

In the first quarter when we were struggling a little it was noticeable that Goodwin and McLeod were providing the steadying influence. Both played excellent first quarters. They just have that assuredness about them. Take a fraction longer to dispose of the ball and as a result choose the right option.

Eventually our younger players settled and started playing some excellent footy but it was the two champs who showed the way when we needed it.

It was interesting at the clearances that the Bombers basically set up to tackle. Getting the ball was not an option because of the ruck dominance. Vince, Edwards and Thompson usually got first look at it. What was surprising was that this was actually somewhat effective for the Bombers. Quite often we got first hands on the footy, were tackled immediately and they got the clearance. Not sure what the final numbers were on clearances but I got the impression that they weren't as lopsided as the scoreboard would suggest they should be.

Good write up Drummond and I agree with most of it. I was at the game sitting under the old scoreboard and really need to watch it on TV as well to assess it properly. However, I thought the Hentschel's work in defence was quite good tonight. Admittedly I am basing this on work that was performed at the northern end of the oval so I may have mix some players up.

I have to give a special mention to two incidents that Drummond has mentioned already but these were both right in front of me and were just brilliant.
1st - Knight's goal from 50m right along the boundary after playing on from a mark. Superb! :cool:
2nd - Johncock's contest, spoil and then tap on to a team mate that resulted in a goal. I value Johncock so highly as he can stand and defeat all small forwards in the AFL. It would be interesting to see Stiffy v Porps at training. :D

With Bock & VB hopefully coming back the Crows will be near full strength. Bring on the Vics!

Hope you don't mind me posting my thoughts, they shouldn't be offensive.

Oh man, you guys dominated us. To be honest, a few years ago I thought you were good and well-disciplined, but lacked the flair and skill to be anything special. How things have changed for you in those few years. Your forwards were terrific, defense was solid possibly excluding the first quarter where there was alot of space, and your midfield gelled really well. Lots of youth and experience combining must be great for you too.

I felt the game really was set up from the clearance work. Having our first four choice ruckman all unavailable certainly didn't help, but double-teaming Watson was a good move as well. Hitouts were a joke, an IIRC we were smashed in the clearances too. Quinn and 3/4 others who really should not be playing at AFL level being forced into the side through a large list of outs certainly hurt the margin, but I've no doubt that even with our whole team fit that if you guys played like you did tonight you'd be a safe bet to win.

Well done guys, the better team won, and good luck in the next few weeks!

the opposition notwithstanding, this is best form I've seen from the Crows since mid 2006.

three 70+ point beltings in a row = a team chock full of confidence. we have next to no injury worries and plenty of selection headaches - just who do you drop for Bock and VB?

I expected Essendon to maybe perform above expectations and really push Adelaide hard against the odds. Then they dropped BellChambers and started Lovett-Murray in the ruck. Game over. Hookers (or Knights) gameplan of not contesting in the ruck really was awful as well....as all he was doing was getting in the way of his teammates. This gave Adelaide first use of the ball all night long and when you dominate the middle like that, its very hard to lose.

One thing for sure is that Adelaide definitely have a premiership quality forward line. They have everything there a premiership FL shoul have. Big contested marking tall, marking smalls who can crumb, blokes who can kick from outside 50, blokes who have x factor. Add in a premiership quality defence and a quality midfield and you guys are on fire at the moment.

Vince has turned into a great player. Not sure id have him as a true elite yet, but hes better than the likes of Pendlebury and Murphy who seem to get more plaudits than he does. Certainly on the verge of being an elite midfielder.

I expected Essendon to maybe perform above expectations and really push Adelaide hard against the odds. Then they dropped BellChambers and started Lovett-Murray in the ruck. Game over. Hookers (or Knights) gameplan of not contesting in the ruck really was awful as well....as all he was doing was getting in the way of his teammates. This gave Adelaide first use of the ball all night long and when you dominate the middle like that, its very hard to lose.

One thing for sure is that Adelaide definitely have a premiership quality forward line. They have everything there a premiership FL shoul have. Big contested marking tall, marking smalls who can crumb, blokes who can kick from outside 50, blokes who have x factor. Add in a premiership quality defence and a quality midfield and you guys are on fire at the moment.

Vince has turned into a great player. Not sure id have him as a true elite yet, but hes better than the likes of Pendlebury and Murphy who seem to get more plaudits than he does. Certainly on the verge of being an elite midfielder.
That's a pretty good analysis, and from a Port supporter too! :eek:

Although I think Vince is "elite" already.

Good report Drummond.

If Douglas can find a way not to go to ground so often and double grab at the ball he will be a handy player. I'm not sure he should be an automatic dropping for Van Berlo. I would give VB another weeks rest.

A bit of a slow start and our disposal was a bit poor in the 1st quarter, however this was rectified and it was all one way traffic after quarter time. We dominated play after that. I love how accurate we have become this year.

Vince was superb all night, handled the targetting very well and went on about his game, while the big man Sellar is developing very nicely him coming back on bought a look of suprise and a smile to my face, Porps is recapturing that form from last year, Maric dominated ruck (not much opposition) but it will give him more confidence, While our defence superb as usual Rutten crushed his opponent, while Johncock is one of the best small defenders in the game.

First let me say that we were playing a team that for all intents and purposes wasn’t a finals standard team. They got there because seemingly everyone else fell over and couldn’t take their chances while Essendon did in Round 22. However credit to them for getting there and they certainly had a first quarter that showed they came to play.

I thought our first quarter was really underwhelming, we turned the ball over too often and they hurt us on the rebound and time and time again seemed to create loose men on the wing. Our tackles weren’t sticking and so often they had loose men in their forward line, not sure how it happened but it seemed like 1 or 2 guys found themselves free every time they went inside forward 50. Towards the end of the quarter the possession count was 30 in favour of Essendon and in many ways we did well to be in front. At least we fought our way through a slow start and went to the break ahead.

From then on it was all one way traffic; we absolutely dominated proceedings and played sensational, direct football. :thumbsu: Our players are always picking the right option; we know when to switch play and when to link up by hand. Again our use of the handball was a feature and our ability to run them off their feet from quarter time onwards. We seem to have no concerns about putting players into apparent danger by hand so long as we have numbers nearby that we can release and then get our run going. Our forward line functioned well after the first break and Tippett was a huge factor up forward presenting such a strong target.

Already excited for next week but the standard of opposition will be a million times better than it was tonight. Not sure who I’d prefer to face, the Saints who would come into the game having lost 3 of 4 matches or the Pies who I think we have a better chance of winning. Either way the odds will be against us as how often does a team outside the 4 even make a Preliminary Final? Not often. However this team has won 4 in a row, is full of confidence and is playing amazing attacking football.

Lastly, hats off to the crowd, 50k is a terrific result. Great atmosphere and the 19th man had quite a few assists. ;)

:thumbsu: ...Fantastic post and not much I can add........but I will ;)

Firstly I have been critical of Adelaides finals support .......but hats off to a fantasic crowd and such a great atmosphere

The win was great and our gamestyle whilst under continula development has shown that we are far superior than 11 teams ........however the first qtr fumbles and apparent panis under pressure has been a feature of recent weeks ......and whilst we get away with it against the 11, Im not confident the top 4 sides will be as forgiving.

We're still not sticking tackles .....I'd love to know what last nights tackle count was ?

IMO we really struggle against clubs who play one on one against our zone play ......and St Kilda and Collingwood are the best at it

So great effort .......but we have to be much much better next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is it to have close to our best kit on the park for the finals though? Giving ourselves the best chance to do something special.

Mathew Knight and Fletcher say that the Bombers will not be Adel's only victim in finals series and said all sides will be hoping to avoid the crows

Firstly the decision to not play a ruckman by essendon was completely bamboozaling (although "hooker is a ruckman"- essendon supporter friends), more confusing is the interview with craigy when he said we expected that might happen :confused:??

I thought as everyone we played fantastic last night and think that Essendon were really dissapointing in their gameplay and their conduct once they started to get thumped, always going the man (lovet murray is a hack), would love to especially know what happened to vince when he was left on the ground nowhere near the ball, and "froffies McVeigh" also started swinging.

Bring on next week I'll be there!!

What a great win and a great match to have been a part of:thumbsu: I must admit I was a touch worried pregame, just with the whole "un-loseable" tag which the match had, as in the past we've often made a complete meal of games such as this, however, losing the un-loseable appears to be a thing of the past with this side, over this last half of the season we have really developed a killer instinct. The question mark is, whether or not we can not only take it up to a top 4 side, but beat them as well. I think we can, we have continuously improved throughout the year and are peaking at exactly the right time, instead of stumbling into the finals like 06/07/08.

To the game, one of my biggest criticisms of our forward line over the past 8-10 years and IMO one of the big reasons why, despite so many finals appearances, we have ultimately failed in every single one, is that for our forward line to function, it required absolute silver service from the midfield, as such when we dominated games it often looked very good(eg see various games in 05/06), however when the pressure was on and the chips were down, ie the delivery was not perfect, it went missing. Now however, our forward line can create its own luck, it makes the most of "half-chances", which often in finals is all you'll get, due to their high pressure nature.

To our "poor" first quarters. The way I see it at the moment, we have one slight "weakness" and that is pace, we're not slow, but we do have a slight vulnerability to sides with a bit of pace and this is why we've been slightly down in first quarters of late. Fortunately though, we have one massive strength, that by about 3/4 of the way through the first quarter, kicks in and that is that we are SUPER fit. The issue that quite often seems to be the case with super quick players, is that they tire the quickest and for a side to maintain this advantage over us, they must continue to run at their fastest, which as has been the case with Carlton and Essendon especially, they couldn't. By the second quarter they were already tiring and suddenly our blokes look quick. Have they gained an extra yard in pace? No. They're just still "plodding" away at the same pace they were at the beginning of the game. If a side wants to beat us, they're going to want to have us done by the end of the first quarter or just be prepared to run and run and run and run...

This ability to out run sides was signature of our 97/98 premiership sides come finals time, they were still running hard well into the final quarter when the other more skillful and talented sides were run off their feet. From what I've seen in the past couple of weeks, Craigy appears to have managed to recreate this advantage in this current side. Now to the players:

McLeod: What a great vein of form he's unearthed in the past month or so, I think he along with the rest of our older brigade may have realised that this could be their last chance to nab a premiership and it seems to be driving them to play some pretty outstanding footy. It was like watching the McLeod of the early 2000's, just making the opposition look like second class citizens with the way he moved and disposed of the footy. Will be a massive asset in the next couple of weeks and will have a couple of sides shaking in their boots.

Vince: Most certainly has come of age in the past couple of weeks and developed into a truely "elite" midfielder, watching him last night, I think he's even developed that "strut" or even "presense" that elite players tends to have that just says "I'm better than you". Could have been forgiven for letting all of the media "adulation" over the week get to him, but instead just took his game to a complete other level and handled the attention paid to him with aplomb. GUN, plain and simple.

Symes: Another solid game from Brad, love his attack on the ball, my only worry for his long term position in the side is that, whilst he isn't a bad disposer of the ball, he isn't a particularly damaging one. Players like McLeod, Edwards, Vince, Mackay, Reilly etc. can really hurt opposition with the ball, Symes not so much, there are similar issues with players such as Doughty(although he's improved), Shirley and Kornes from Port, they can get a lot of the ball, but the damage factor is minimal. Love Symes as a player, but unless he can really find that "hurt" factor, will always be one poor game away from being dropped.

Goodwin: Perhaps a touch quieter than recent weeks, but certainly a steading influence early and helped us hold our own against a fired up Bombers side early in the first, still just shows that extra bit of class when he has the ball, again will be a major asset in the next couple of weeks.

Thompson: Another solid game from Thommo, not up to his usual disposal count, but as per usual his work around the stoppages was just first rate, just wish his eyes wouldn't light up quite so much when inside the forward 50, would instead of trying to kick a 45 meter left foot goal, which sprays 30 rows back out on the full, and just put the ball to the goalsquare to Trent Hentschel 20 metres on his own. :D

Otten: His offensive game was quite good tonight, however got caught on the rebound by Mcphee a few times, with Mcphee often sl**ing off in the goalsquare. Will be an absolute gun player for the future, with his strong marking being a massive weapon in us transfering the play between defence and attack.

Mackay: Pure class, nothing else. Will be a gun winger for us for many years to come, delivering the ball on a silver platter to the likes of Tippett, Porplyzia and Walker. His goal, following Porps' clearly intentional butter fingers moment, was just pure gold.

Reilly: Another quality game from Reilly, is one of those players who doesn't require much of the ball to really hurt the opposition. Players of his quality disposal are worth their weight in gold come finals.

Doughty: What a great effort on one of the best clearance machines in the comp, with each performance like that and the one of Judd last week, Robert Shirley's chances of getting another contract, just take another massive hit.

Douglas: Extremely good first half, this is the kind of footy he should be producing week in week out and have had many of us standing up for him over the past couple of years in the face of some pretty severe criticism. Although I must say my faith wore out about round 5 this year. Showed a solid turn of pace, agility, composure and skill, despite the odd faceplant in the slippery footy park turf. IMO though needed to put in a full 4 quarter performance to cement his spot in the side and with VB looking to come back next week, will likely be the one to drop out.

Knights: Another vital cog in our reformed forward line, is dangerous anywhere within 60 metres of goal and has clearly been given a license to just unload. His hard work and devastating left foot will certainly come in hand come next week and beyond.

Johncock: Well, what more can be said, other than was robbed of an AA berth. Is clearly the "elite" small defender of the comp, with his composure, pace, agility, inventiveness and clean disposal a feature again last night.

Edwards: Another good game from Tyson, whilst not geting a heap of the footy, was still instrumental around the stoppages and his cool head in a crisis will be a must in the coming weeks.

Rutten: Was pretty much unsighted, but in a good way, absolutely carved up young Neagle and was rarely put under much pressure, stark contrast to last week when he was up against the best FF in the comp.

Stevens: Was OK, but as that 2nd key tall was really exposed at times by Hurley for his lack of pace off the mark and unlike Rutten lacks the body strength to make up for this as well. Works well as a 3rd tall defender and can get away with his lack of pace/strength against younger/lesser forwards, but if we come up against the Kosi/Riewoldt, Brown/Bradshaw(unlikely), or even Cloke/Anthony/Rocca and Mooney/Ottens/Hawkins, we may be exposed. So am really hoping Bock can come up, whilst Stevens is a cunning player, I'd be much more comfortable with him as a 3rd tall defender.

Hentschel: Still working his way into form, but is just one of those players, who can so easily punish you in a 5 minute burst, that you just can't leave him alone or attended by a "lesser" defender. Is never truely kept out of a game, by virtue of his ability to keep his feet, dance on a dime, his uncanny ability to read the flight of the ball better than everyone else and his innate goal sense.

Porplyzia: Well, is just hitting form at the right time of the season, with bags of 3,2,6,4 and 5 in his past 5 games, he'll be striking fear into opposition players and coaches alike. Is our modern day answer to Darren Jarman, simple as that.

Tippett: Please Tippett, please don't go up to the Coast, I know its nice and warm and sunny with great beaches, great lifestyle etc. and you wouldn't need to offer me lots of money to move up there again, but please don't go:eek: In the past half a season has really developed into one of the "power" forwards of the comp, his potential is just scarey. Last year, when it was Tippett vs Fletcher, Fletcher was the Master and Tippett the mere Apprentice, this time round (bit like the 4th Star Wars movie, with Obi Wan and Vader) Tippett was now the Master, and Fletcher the old fart who should have just stayed back on Tatoo... no wait I mean Melbourne.:eek: Anyways, yeah, will kick 70+ goals next year, very little doubt about it.

Dangerfield: Well, just putting it out the now, I want to be Patty Dangerfield. What a gun this kid will be with those Judd like centre clearances, just wait till he develops a half decent tank. IMO it is as important that we sign this bloke up long term, as it is to sign Tippett long term, both are future super stars of the comp.

Burton: Slowly working his way back into form, similar to Hentschel, whilst he hasn't been contributing heaps on the scoreboard/in terms of possessions, what he does do is take attention away from Tippett, Porplyzia and Knights, he just demands a quality defender and anything less would be disastrous too the opposition.

Maric: This bloke has grown as a ruckman in the past couple of months IMO, is really starting to stand up both in the ruck and around the ground, creating contests and even taking the odd mark or two(remember when we had a ruckman who could take a grab?), has teamed up really well with Sellar and together are combining to make a really solid ruck division.

Sellar: Hasn't this bloke come along in leaps and bounds. Still unsure where his long term future lies, but at least its looking more and more likely that he will have one:thumbsu: IMO could quite easily make it as a 2nd ruck/utility type who can fill in as a KPP around the ground as well as back up a Maric/Moran in the ruck. However, I also feel that this run in the ruck could help him develop the KPP side of his game, similar to the way Hentschel's run as a defender helped him develop as a forward. Just give him the confidence that he can play at this elite level, as well as understand what is required to not only compete, but to be successful.

Anyways, think that's enough of me typing for now:eek:

Glenno, we have an amazing ability to generate high game playing champs.

We've have more 300 gamers than the doggies in their history.
Not quite, they have Johnson,West,Smith and Grant. so its 4 all atm

Interesting that all of their 300 gamers played together for most of their careers, same with ours but we have not been around as long

To our "poor" first quarters. The way I see it at the moment, we have one slight "weakness" and that is pace, we're not slow, but we do have a slight vulnerability to sides with a bit of pace and this is why we've been slightly down in first quarters of late. Fortunately though, we have one massive strength, that by about 3/4 of the way through the first quarter, kicks in and that is that we are SUPER fit. The issue that quite often seems to be the case with super quick players, is that they tire the quickest and for a side to maintain this advantage over us, they must continue to run at their fastest, which as has been the case with Carlton and Essendon especially, they couldn't. By the second quarter they were already tiring and suddenly our blokes look quick. Have they gained an extra yard in pace? No. They're just still "plodding" away at the same pace they were at the beginning of the game. If a side wants to beat us, they're going to want to have us done by the end of the first quarter or just be prepared to run and run and run and run...

This ability to out run sides was signature of our 97/98 premiership sides come finals time, they were still running hard well into the final quarter when the other more skillful and talented sides were run off their feet. From what I've seen in the past couple of weeks, Craigy appears to have managed to recreate this advantage in this current side. Now to the players:

Agree with all of this. The injection of Dangerfield into the middle on a more permanent basis will make a big difference down the track, we immediately looked quicker whenever he was in there last night. Add Sloane in, hopefully Cook as well, and that relative weakness will be out the window.

Also not to go off topic but as far as quality young players go, how bloody good is Daniel Rich seriously? :eek:

He has just pinged a goal from 50 to put the lions within 4 points, clinch moment in the game. He is something very special, and will no doubt push Danger for his half a dozen brownlow wins as time goes on.

Glenno, we have an amazing ability to generate high game playing champs.

We've have more 300 gamers than the doggies in their history.

not sre about the Bullies but we definitely have more 300 game players than Melb and they are a foundation club

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on the Essendon Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back