Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be really bad of the Eagles to chase out a contracted player, put him on ice for a buyer and then back out. I doubt the Eagles recruiting team would do that. They will take what they can.
Barrass has asked for a trade because we weren't willing to renegotiate his contract .

We would be happy to for him to stay if he was to commit to the contract he signed .

Hawks are offering him 5 years on big dollars . Of course he will want out . He wants the 2 extra years

I have heard nothing that we are pushing him out just we won't renegotiate his contract .

It would be really bad of the Eagles to chase out a contracted player, put him on ice for a buyer and then back out. I doubt the Eagles recruiting team would do that. They will take what they can.

Not as bad as approaching a player under a long term contract, offering big dollars and an extension, then baulk at the price.

Dont write cheques you cant cash.

Barrass has asked for a trade because we weren't willing to renegotiate his contract .

We would be happy to for him to stay if he was to commit to the contract he signed .

Hawks are offering him 5 years on big dollars . Of course he will want out . He wants the 2 extra years

I have heard nothing that we are pushing him out just we won't renegotiate his contract .

Sure, so you're semi-pushing him out...

What are you even on about?
triple treat is 100% correct, pick 13 gives us access to the 13th best talent in the open pool.

It is irrelevant how many academy kids are taken before that 13th pick.
So based on this theory, if in 2026, Gold Coast/Swans/Brisbane take the first 10 players with academy picks, and in 2025 there is 2, then pick 15 is worth the same in both years yeah? If Hawks offered 2025 1st rounder or 2026 you wouldnt care which one we got?

Its going to be bad form if Tom Barrass is forced to play for WC when he's told them he wants to play elsewhere.
Laughable.

It's bad form to sign a long term contract you were happy with, then want out a couple of years in.

See Petracca.

Last edited:
It would be really bad of Hawks to whisper and chase a contracted player, and then back out. I doubt the Hawks recruiting team would do that. They will pay what they need to.
This isn't completely true, the onus isn't on Hawthorn to pay whatever WC demand. It's a negotiation.

Using your own argument against you, it would be bad for WC to nudge Barrass to look for opportunities and to then price him out of the market. Forcing him to then return with his tail between his legs. Other players and managers will see that. If Hawthorn were to back out it's not good for anyone.

Anywho thats unlikely to happen because WC and Hawthorn see the bigger picture and will come to a fair deal for all parties.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to be honest, I like to think I'm pretty good at understanding trade suggestions but I'm struggling a bit there I think because you are basically proposing getting other clubs involved where they don't need to be? I can't quite tell haha.

In a vacuum I'd have both similar value to be honest. Both very very good at their role without being the best, Barrass being from WA and extra miles on the legs, older by a 18 months and injury history but a harder position to get quality in. Probably Barrass ahead a little bit but not much.
A little late to reply but my apologies. This wasn't meant as a genuine trade suggestion but more a remark on the absurdity of the respective player valuations.

This isn't completely true, the onus isn't on Hawthorn to pay whatever WC demand. It's a negotiation.

Using your own argument against you, it would be bad for WC to nudge Barrass to look for opportunities and to then price him out of the market. Forcing him to than return with his tail between his legs. Other players and managers will see that. If Hawthorn were to back out it's not good for anyone.

Anywho thats unlikely to happen because WC and Hawthorn see the bigger picture and will come to a fair deal for all parties.
All clubs would be putting feelers out on players they want, I'm sure WC do the same and I'm sure Hawthorn and WC would of had some dialogue (so they can determine a range for value) before a contract with terms were offered to said player so that the receiving team knows what they would be likely to cough up...if WC want two first as a miminum I doubt it would of progress to where it is now...doubt Hawthorn would og been comfortable in putting TB around the 2 first range...

He's worth a top 10 pick. 16 is not enough.
There was a suggestion on our board to request a top 10 pick and leave Hawthorn to figure out the 'how'. I don't think it happens but it makes sense. That is what we should be getting from this trade rather than simply top 10 value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back