Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why hasn't he signed? Yea he really wants to stay.

It's quite obvious why Rockliff hasn't re-signed. Rockliff is a restricted free agent and wants to test the market and see what other clubs are prepared to offer him. Brisbane have last right of reply, so if they value him at what other clubs do they'll match any official or unofficial offer. If they don't then Rockliff will go. Whatever the case and whatever the state of their list, Brisbane still has to pay a minimum 95% of the existing salary cap.

From his comments on radio yesterday, Damien Barrett seems to believe that the Lions have already submitted an initial offer to Rockliff's management between $500,000-$550,000 per year for three years and in terms of salary cap space have plenty in reserve.

I don't think he said that at all. He didn't mean, not to use draft picks on Rocky at all.
Merely that he's the wrong age demographic for your playing group (list spot and salary) and to use your draft picks to continue bringing in younger players to add to what you have.
That's the way I took it anyway
Logically that's the right way to go. Unfortunately while we wait the club is dying a slow death.

Weve had two awesome years at the draft the last two years. It's a group we can really build around. That will have to be it.

No....But he is from Victoria, a mere 200km's up the Hume highway.....And as he has stipulated himself: His first priority will be his family.

Which pretty well ruless all S/A, W/A & NSW teams chances out of the equation.

Port are after Motlop & will likely get him.....With Rockliff you are no chance.

His first priority is family.

How does that rule out interstate teams?

It could just as well mean he will move to the highest offer with the best opportunities after football.

I bet he wont turn his back on $600k extra over 3 years to play interstate or a 4 year deal instead of a 3 year deal.

People move families interstate all the time for better paid jobs.

It could just as well mean he will move to the highest offer with the best opportunities after football.

I bet he wont turn his back on $600k extra over 3 years to play interstate or a 4 year deal instead of a 3 year deal.

Simple....Because having a young family entails having a support network around you.....Both of which are in Brisbane & Victoria.

You're welcome.

Another poster pointed out a compelling reason why that possibly wont happen..

His first priority is his family he has just completed a new family house build.

His partners family are from Brisbane they have just had their first child

That would be a massive call to move away from her family and give up that support and move to a new State ...that would be very challenging.

New mothers tend to seek their own mothers support...

There are man y clubs Rockliff could play elite footy at but I don't think Geelong is one of them, presuming Ablett, Dangerfield, Selwood and Duncan will all be there, I don't think Rocky would play his usual role.

Carlton should cash in on Gibbs and jump on Rockliff - it's a net loss but they get a first round pick most likely to spend on another young mid or forward.

Unless Brisbane are certain that they're getting band 1, then there's SFA chance that Rocky will be leaving via an un-matched RFA offer.

It's quite obvious why Rockliff hasn't re-signed. Rockliff is a restricted free agent and wants to test the market and see what other clubs are prepared to offer him. Brisbane have last right of reply, so if they value him at what other clubs do they'll match any official or unofficial offer. If they don't then Rockliff will go. Whatever the case and whatever the state of their list, Brisbane still has to pay a minimum 95% of the existing salary cap.

From his comments on radio yesterday, Damien Barrett seems to believe that the Lions have already submitted an initial offer to Rockliff's management between $500,000-$550,000 per year for three years and in terms of salary cap space have plenty in reserve.

That is an insult to the player Rockliff is. No wonder he hasn't signed that. Stupidity from Brisbane.

That is an insult to the player Rockliff is. No wonder he hasn't signed that. Stupidity from Brisbane.

If it is correct.

Brisbane may be prepared to pay market price, but what that market price is not yet determined. Rockliff is a restricted free agent and the Lions have the option of matching any FA bid.

Does anyone think Rockliff could actually get a contract triggering band 1 compensation?

As of two years ago:

"CLUBS will only receive a first-round compensation pick after losing a free agent in 2015 if the player's new contract ranks them among the top five per cent of AFL wage earners aged 25 and older"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...-to-earn-firstround-free-agency-compensation-

For the record I really want Rockliff to stay, but would be pretty happy with pick 2 as compensation, but reading this article if would have to be a pretty damn good deal.

5% is 2 players per list and you'd think that $800k would put a player around the mark to be amongst the top 2-3 paid players at each club. I don't think that he's going to be far away from band 1.

Another poster pointed out a compelling reason why that possibly wont happen..

His first priority is his family he has just completed a new family house build.

His partners family are from Brisbane they have just had their first child

That would be a massive call to move away from her family and give up that support and move to a new State ...that would be very challenging.

New mothers tend to seek their own mothers support...

Depends on the mother and the relationship.

Its plain dumb assuming that grown adults need mummy to come and provide constant support. When we had kids my mother in law used a thing called an aeroplane and used this amazing machine to fly 2800 km to Darwin and stayed for a couple of weeks. My wife was thankful for the support but was even more thankful when her mother flew back home.

Now if I had a job offer that paid me $200k a year more and for a year longer than my current job offer I could pay for a couple of plane tickets every year for mum to visit.

People need to just stop bullsh!ting about family relationships of players unless they actially know the situation.

Some families are close, others like independence and families make sacrifices to gain financial benefit. Thats life people.

Saying that I really dont mind what Rocliff decides but people need to stop acting like they know the situation.......unless they do.;):p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would say so, 19 for Rocky is not on. Trade would need to be a top 10 pick
Which is a situation that Rockliff probably wants anyway.

Carlton offer him 3 years at $800,000. Brisbane matches and demands a top 10 pick. Carlton move on because we can't afford to pay Pick 3 for a 28 year old given our list position.

Rocky stays, gets his pay raise and gets to enjoy his new home with his family.

Which is a situation that Rockliff probably wants anyway.

Carlton offer him 3 years at $800,000. Brisbane matches and demands a top 10 pick. Carlton move on because we can't afford to pay Pick 3 for a 28 year old given our list position.

Rocky stays, gets his pay raise and gets to enjoy his new home with his family.

That actually makes sense.

Calm down big fella

Restricted FA which means if Bris match the offer the other team has to trade.
Sorry too lazy to change cap lock , If word is true the offer was poor , a team offers 800k , the lions get a first round consolation pick. Think they will be happy with that.
But don't understand why they will not pay him what he wants , they would still have a lot on the salary cap.
Cats and Hawks have no first round draft picks and would love the guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back