Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

If word is true the offer was poor , a team offers 800k , the lions get a first round consolation pick. Think they will be happy with that.
But don't understand why they will not pay him what he wants , they would still have a lot on the salary cap.
They'd rather have the compensation pick.

Would say so, 19 for Rocky is not on. Trade would need to be a top 10 pick

haha you shopped him around last year and not many clubs were keen, the currency was said to be a second/third rounder. Not sure that much has changed.

Rocky (along with plenty of other stars) would be quietly fuming with an offer of 500-550, knowing that Mayne, Vickery and other shit-kickers are pulling that cash in the twos...

From his comments on radio yesterday, Damien Barrett seems to believe that the Lions have already submitted an initial offer to Rockliff's management between $500,000-$550,000 per year for three years and in terms of salary cap space have plenty in reserve.

I really don't believe that figure, even disregarding the "Barrett"ness of the source.

haha you shopped him around last year and not many clubs were keen, the currency was said to be a second/third rounder. Not sure that much has changed.

I'd say clubs were keen but wisely waited until he was a FA. Also Rocky has cleaned up his act and had a great year football wise. To avoid having to trade though they will have to offer enough to trigger a band 1 comp pick

Depends on the mother and the relationship.

Its plain dumb assuming that grown adults need mummy to come and provide constant support. When we had kids my mother in law used a thing called an aeroplane and used this amazing machine to fly 2800 km to Darwin and stayed for a couple of weeks. My wife was thankful for the support but was even more thankful when her mother flew back home.

Now if I had a job offer that paid me $200k a year more and for a year longer than my current job offer I could pay for a couple of plane tickets every year for mum to visit.

People need to just stop bullsh!ting about family relationships of players unless they actially know the situation.

Some families are close, others like independence and families make sacrifices to gain financial benefit. Thats life people.

Saying that I really dont mind what Rocliff decides but people need to stop acting like they know the situation.......unless they do.;):p

I said it was compelling reason why that possibly wont happen before going off on a self indulgent tangent... it is possible.. ask why Mrs Bryce Gibbs wants to go home? Sorry if that doesn't suit your way of thinking!

Does the AFL's bullshit compo formula allow them the freedom to determine that a player is worth band 1/band 2 compo based on their club's ladder position?

I.e. Team offers 3 x $600k for 27 year old Tom Rockliff, band 1 would give Brisbane pick 2
I.e. Team offers 3 x $600k for 27 year old Jackson Trengove, band 1 would give Port pick 13

Assuming both players end up in the top 25% bracket at their new club, can the AFL make one band 1 and the other band 2?

Does the AFL's bullshit compo formula allow them the freedom to determine that a player is worth band 1/band 2 compo based on their club's ladder position?

I.e. Team offers 3 x $600k for 27 year old Tom Rockliff, band 1 would give Brisbane pick 2
I.e. Team offers 3 x $600k for 27 year old Jackson Trengove, band 1 would give Port pick 13

Assuming both players end up in the top 25% bracket at their new club, can the AFL make one band 1 and the other band 2?
It'd be the same band for both. Their intent was to give crappier teams better compensation because presumably they would be more in need of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it was compelling reason why that possibly wont happen before going off on a self indulgent tangent... it is possible.. ask why Mrs Bryce Gibbs wants to go home? Sorry if that doesn't suit your way of thinking!

The Gibb's position has been reported and Gibbs himself quoted, so that's a known situation.

The point I was making was that people who don't actually know what is going on in someone's personal life shouldn't pretend that they do know. Especially when bias is involved.

Is it the top 25% bracket at the club or the league?

I think it would be the league and clubs top 25% would vary from club to club.

Did you miss when Buddy netted the Swans pick 19?

Do you think Hawthorn are in the mix for Rockliff?

I think we would be silly to not consider Rockliff; he is a RFA and would add more grunt to our midfield. That being said, I doubt we would offer him what some have suggested, he would also require a pretty decent medical.

The Gibb's position has been reported and Gibbs himself quoted, so that's a known situation.

The point I was making was that people who don't actually know what is going on in someone's personal life shouldn't pretend that they do know. Especially when bias is involved.

Like yourself?.. I know what the point you were trying to make was...It doesn't gel, you've added a situation from your life as if that has some bearing on the situation...

Article saying that Carlton has stepped up talks with Rockliff.

Anyone know the situation for Carlton to get him? Will they try and ring even if Gibbs stays? If not its hard for them as they'd have to wait to unload Gibbs. Which could take the whole 2 weeks we know how stubborn Carlton were and now they want 2 first rounders.

Free agency starts before the trade period so example if west coast wanted him also they'd have an advantage over Carlton. They could sign him when free agency starts where Carlton has to wait till Gibbs leaves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back