For me, the ones who will go:

Dawson.
Thompson.
M. Westhoff (I have hope).
Krakouer.
Carr.
Tredrea.
Logan.

I dont think we will make 'too' many changes this year imo.

Why would we delist broadbent and banner? They are 2nd year players who have both played AFL.

IMO petters will go.

I think it was sarcasm :)

There's a host of players I think should go. But perhaps with the draft as it is, there will be alot of lucky players.

I would let go Carr, Tredders, Chad (alot of experience there), Choco, Harding, M Westhoff, Krakouer. exc rookies.

I think Pettigrew is worth keeping and Logan is defeintely worth keeping for emergencies, but I wouldn't play him more than 3 games in a row :)

Trengove has said he has no intention of leaving though for anyone worried. Wants to repay the faith the club showed in him during his injury.

really? i hope like hell he stays - i just had his number put on my jersey too!

There are far too many quality players coming out of contract this year and no word on contract negotiations.. .....

Get on with it Rohde!
Yeah Rohde what are you doing? If a player is refusing to negotiate a new contract until the end of the season you need to get a couple of heavies to put the pressure on. You can't have the players doing what suits them.

My worry on this front is Peter Rhode was a football person first and foremost, a negotiator second. His negotiation skills are not going to be in the same ballpark as a player agent. ....
So all AFL player agents are highly skilled negotiators and not former AFL players :confused:

So all AFL player agents are highly skilled negotiators and not former AFL players :confused:

Not at all. But not all people are skilled negotiators. When I go to buy a TV I walk in, find one I like and ask the salesman how much it is, that's about the extent of my negotiation. I know lots about TV's but I'm shit at beating them down for a price.
Whereas I know people with less knowledge of TV's that are good at walking in and beating them down on price much lower than I can do.

I'm simply asking whether Rhode has good football knowledge, but isn't as skilled at sealing the deals ?

(its a question rather than an accusation based on how hard it seems to be to get the deals done - admittedly we dont know how far these things are progressing behind closed doors)

From what we are hearing, Port are well under their salary cap, so Rohde's not throwing wads of cash away - not that he could without final board approval I wouldn't think anyway.

And according to 10 news last night, Boak's manager said that the money Port is offering is not an issue. Rohde can't sack the coach or build better rehab facilities if those are the issues. He can't make Boak's mum be from Adelaide if that's an issue.

I guess the simple question to ask is, how many players do you think we've lost since Rohde took over that were due to his negotiations? I couldn't name one.

..... I'm simply asking whether Rhode has good football knowledge, but isn't as skilled at sealing the deals ?

(its a question rather than an accusation based on how hard it seems to be to get the deals done - admittedly we dont know how far these things are progressing behind closed doors)
Sorry, I read your earlier post as an accusation. :eek:

Who really knows how good Rohdes is as a negotiator? If the board aren't happy with the job he's doing then surely they will replace him just as they did with Choco ...... oh, wait ..... :mad:

From what we are hearing, Port are well under their salary cap, so Rohde's not throwing wads of cash away - not that he could without final board approval I wouldn't think anyway.

And according to 10 news last night, Boak's manager said that the money Port is offering is not an issue. Rohde can't sack the coach or build better rehab facilities if those are the issues. He can't make Boak's mum be from Adelaide if that's an issue.

I guess the simple question to ask is, how many players do you think we've lost since Rohde took over that were due to his negotiations? I couldn't name one.

What's wrong with our recovery facilities? Is Semi and West beach not good enough? Perhaps a personal spa and sauna would help!

Failing to close Jamar is one that springs to mind. Sounds a classic case of leaving the door open and leaving money on the table instead of doing what was required to close a deal. Yes Burgergate was in full swing then, so he may not have been in a position to do more than one thing at a time. But if we keep chasing Boak, ignoring any signals sent and queueing others behind him, we leave the gate open for them as well.

IMO Boaks manager saying money is not an issue is actually helpful, we can offer a longer contract, we can present our plan for facilities (if there is one), and that's pretty much it, nothing else really left on the table. If Boak has the shits with Choco he's not going to sit around to see who's next. The club is not going to sack Choco to keep Boak. Seriously, it ought to trigger a rash of signings from those who are no longer in a queue and we can avoid losing someone or two this year just because we get too busy late in the day trying to clean up spilt milk and we can get on with working on who we need to and CAN keep and who we need to get over here. If Burger or the club had announced mid last season he wasn't staying (ideally before Choco's re-signing, but that's another thread) I think we'd be a different and better place already - after going through additional 'trauma' at the time.

Boak is not the type of player that would be concerned with the length of his contract (at least not at his current age). If his concerns are based on our training and recovery facilities then the club really needs to emphasise how these are/will be improved. We have recently opened our indoor training facility, we are building new infrastructure as we speak. We've made a committment to spend more on the football department, etc.

Failing to close Jamar is one that springs to mind. Sounds a classic case of leaving the door open and leaving money on the table instead of doing what was required to close a deal. Yes Burgergate was in full swing then, so he may not have been in a position to do more than one thing at a time. But if we keep chasing Boak, ignoring any signals sent and queueing others behind him, we leave the gate open for them as well.

I haven't heard any nuts and bolts of the Jamar deal, the only rumour in that regard was that he had agreed to come over, then changed his mind. Maybe Melbourne upped their bid and Port couldn't match it - again that's not a call Rohde can make.

Do you know what our salary cap space is? It would appear that we are deliberately trying to keep it down - altho the injection of SANFL/AFL money should be available to crank that up a bit now.

Even so, Jamar was never our player to begin with, and speculation on acquiring a player from another club is probably even vaguer than that concerning players within the club.

IMO Boaks manager saying money is not an issue is actually helpful, we can offer a longer contract, we can present our plan for facilities (if there is one), and that's pretty much it, nothing else really left on the table. If Boak has the shits with Choco he's not going to sit around to see who's next. The club is not going to sack Choco to keep Boak. Seriously, it ought to trigger a rash of signings from those who are no longer in a queue and we can avoid losing someone or two this year just because we get too busy late in the day trying to clean up spilt milk and we can get on with working on who we need to and CAN keep and who we need to get over here. If Burger or the club had announced mid last season he wasn't staying (ideally before Choco's re-signing, but that's another thread) I think we'd be a different and better place already - after going through additional 'trauma' at the time.

Rohde is in Melbourne this week trying to get a commitment one way or the other via Boak's manager. If it is a definite 'no' - assuming Port can't meet his requirements apart from the $$$, and those would have to happen at a level beyond Rohde anyway - then that may trigger activity on other fronts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An answer would be good.

I can't believe it's another year and I am already looking forward to next pre season, hum bug

I feel so mediocre it ain't funny waaaaaa

For me, the ones who will go:

Dawson.
Thompson.
M. Westhoff (I have hope).
Krakouer.
Carr.
Tredrea.
Logan.

I dont think we will make 'too' many changes this year imo.

Agree pretty much with your thoughts but mine will be:

Harding, (Del)
Logan, (Del)
Dawson, (Del)
Thompson, (Del)
Pettigrew, (Del)
M Westhoff, (Del)

Tredrea (Ret)
Carr (Ret)

Krak, (Trd)
Boak, (Trd)...hate to say but if gonna go anywhere, it will be for family reasons and back home to Geelong for a swap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many "good" players still unsigned

Remove this Banner Ad

Back