Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely agree on Milne. I think it's just the hatred from other clubs supporters that mean he is not rated as highly as he should. Managed to perform consistantly at a high level for the best part of the decade and his finals record suggests he does not deserve the choker tag at all.

Sloane from Adelaide is another one. Just a very tough footballer, who does his role very well. Wouldn't say he is a star, but he's certainly outperformed a lot of so called stars from his draft.

Another from St Kilda is Sam Fisher. This guy is bloody good. Could be right up there with the best contested marks in the competition, and is arguably the best utility in the competition. Very Chad Cornes circa 2004/05 when he was one of the best in the comp. Just about kept St Kilda in the 2010 Grand Final when Collingwood were peppering their defence.

Brent Stanton is a very good player, but cops a lot. Elite endurance and a very good midfielder.

Another from St Kilda is Sam Fisher. This guy is bloody good. Could be right up there with the best contested marks in the competition, and is arguably the best utility in the competition. Very Chad Cornes circa 2004/05 when he was one of the best in the comp. Just about kept St Kilda in the 2010 Grand Final when Collingwood were peppering their defence.
A big +1 here. I don't think he gets anywhere near the credit he deserves and many on here still reckon he's overrated. :eek:
I've been following us closely for over 20 years now and we've made the finals 11 of those years and the prelims 6 times over that period and he's been one of our very, very best in that time. Would probably be in our all-time best 22, I imagine. Our defence over the past 3 years has been one of the best in recent times, collectively and he is the rock it's built around.
Just does an outstanding job for us so often and with very little fuss or fanfare. Takes contested marks from the opposition kicks like he's picking an apple from a tree and has held us together under heavy fire on so many many occasions, including early this year, when our team was going very poorly. He stood up like a beacon for us down back and deservedly won his second B&F (he's also been placed twice, out of his 6 full seasons). And as you said, his game in the drawn GF last year was outstanding, where he was clearly our next best behind Goddard and Lenny Hayes.
He's beaten the likes of Jonno Brown convincingly one-out, has done good jobs at FB and also plays that quarterback role brilliantly, often resulting in him needing to be tagged and dragged out of the play, which is a very fair effort for someone playing CHB. In the last year or so he's also done some excellent jobs in the midfield, on the likes of Pavlich and Goodes, to show just how versatile he is. He does have some quiet games, when he's being tagged down back, but almost never gets beaten overall.
Probably the best measure of his quality would be his 42 possession, 16 mark performance in a final against Collingwood at the MCG, in 2009. A remarkable effort for someone playing in a key position, in a final, or any game. Just dominated. And that was a year after taking 17 marks against them in the 2008 Semi Final. :thumbsu:

Gibbs isn't underrated, in fact he's a tad overrated, certainly did not deserve all those brownlow votes this year.

In fact, I'd say Bryce Gibbs has had a dissapointing career to date, I think considering his talent, he has underachieved

Best* small defender in the comp

*subjective, but if not the best then one of the top couple.

I'd disagree, I think he is fairly well rated as a ball winning machine.

If you want to look at under-rated Swans, I'd look more at that backline, LRT/Mattner, in addition to Richards + Smith

I think over the length of his career, LRT is definitely underrated. People watched one or two Swans games a year, saw LRT loping around and thought he was a dud. He was a quality KPD for quite a while.

Not so much now though. That injury he got towards the end of last year right when it looked like he'd taken his game to the next level, just killed him. His last game in 2010 (round 15) was probably statistically his best game - 23 disposals and 15 marks. But with the resurgence of Teddy and the unearthing of Johnson, he got overtaken as a tall defender.

But I agree in general about our backline. Probably one of the most stingy in the league over the last 5-6 years and no one gave them much credit.

Carrazzo from the Blues. Does his job week in, week out. Has averaged 22+ disposals for the last 5 years and won the B&F in 2007.

As a Carlton supporter I have to disagree....does a role in the sense that he can he relieves Judd, Murphy & co at times with a good chop out BUT his poor decision making and poor disposal almost negates that.

The guy just cannot kick...seriously it has not improved over 7 or 8 years or so when it really should have.

He is also extremely prone to U-turning and kicking around corners without looking at his target...something that really sh*ts alot of Carlton supporters.

For some unknown reason he is often the last link in a chain of handballs and really he should never be that designated kicker.

He's the kind of player you'd rather see get 5 kicks and 20 handballs than the other way around.

I really like the guy and could never fault his endeavour, he just doesn't have the polish that's needed as a midfielder in 2011.

He provides handy midfield depth to our rotations but underrated is something he is definitely not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offence, but some of these are just laughable.

So in that spirit i'm going to nominate Luke Breust, Michael Osborne and Buddy Franklin.

P.S Beau Dowler too ;)

But in all seriousness, Hawthorn's would probably be Lewis and Sewell

Scott Selwood
Robbie Grey
Josh Kennedy (Swans)
Greg Broughton
Matt Rosa
Leunberger (spelling)
James Gwilt
Rory Sloan
Scott Thompson
Kade Simpson

Just to name a few.

I think Rutten is the most underrated player going around, absolute gun, he has destroyed nearly every KPF for the past 8 years and hardly ever gets a mention.

Adelaide: Graham Johncock
Brisbane: Jack Redden
Carlton: Kade Simpson
Collingwood: Ben Johnson
Essendon: Jason Winderlich
Fremantle: Greg Broughton
Geelong: Andrew Mackie
Gold Coast: Danny Stanley
Hawthorn: Brad Sewell
Melbourne:
Nathan Jones
North Melbourne: Leigh Adams
Port Adelaide: Travis Boak
Richmond: Nathan Foley
St Kilda: James Gwilt
Sydney: Nick Smith
West Coast: Beau Waters
Western Bulldogs: Dale Morris

Agree on Milne.

Although he is fairly highly rated by the media IMO. It's really only fans that underrate him. I don't like him and i'm probably guilty of letting his reputation cloud my judgement of him as a player but he has played over 200 games, will play over 250 and could possibly get to 300, has kicked just a shade under 500 goals and will get to 600 if he can keep pushing on. All this playing as a small forward, if Eddie or Garlett could boast his output by the time their careers are over they will go down as Carlton legends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back