Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

certainly not Kelly and Enright - both All Australians and Enright multiple B&F. Stokes is the most underrated player at Geelong.

Totally agree. Look at how many times he has kicked goals to kickstart us when the game is going against us. 2nd q of GF a prime example.

^ Varcoe is definitely more talented.. Stokes is more consistent however don't think he can blow games open like Varcoe did against the Blues and in the GF.

Anyway:

I like these guys.. just quietly go about it without fanfare.

Rance. Good defender and still young.
Matty Leuenberger (Spelling?). Gun ruck, fairly good on his feet.
Shaun Hampson. Stuggles when used as a forward but he is a genuinely good ruck.
Trent West. This guy would be best 22 at a lot of clubs.
Alex Silvani. Great back, and has gone forward to effect also.
Don Cassisi. As good as a Luke Ball and as good a inside mid as J. Watson imo (not as versatile, however).
Justin Westoff. Yeah he is actually decent. Not close to a spud and extremely versatile.
Jeremy Laidler. Good defender in the Dustin Fletcher mold.
Lachie Hansen. Actually a decent defender (WHICH IS WHERE HE SHOULD BE PLAYED)

Trent Dennis-Lane

What a strange call. I'd say TDL is rated about right, he has the potential to be a very handy small forward but he hasn't got enough presence about him.

Another nom for Nick Smith here, he also has the most boring name ever which can't help.

What a strange call. I'd say TDL is rated about right, he has the potential to be a very handy small forward but he hasn't got enough presence about him.

Another nom for Nick Smith here, he also has the most boring name ever which can't help.
I don't think Horse gave him much of a go last year. Takes a good mark and a really good kick at goal. One thing the Swans were lacking last year was accuracy in-front of goal. I do agree with you about his lack of presence though, definitely needs to work on his pressure and tackling.

Who do people think is better out of Stokes and Varcoe out of interest?

If you were ranking our 22 in order, Varcoe's name would appear first. But Stokes had a better year in 2011. Varcoe's finished both of the last two seasons with a bang, but yet to really string a consistent season together from start to finish.

Stokesy just goes about his game without fanfare and always stands up when needed.

I think Varcoe is the cats most skilled player. Fast, big tank, great tackler and great foot skills. Just lacks that instinctive footy brain to get himself into the right position and keep himself in the game for longer periods. Lacks self belief also but this has improved a lot this year.

I don't think Horse gave him much of a go last year. Takes a good mark and a really good kick at goal. One thing the Swans were lacking last year was accuracy in-front of goal. I do agree with you about his lack of presence though, definitely needs to work on his pressure and tackling.

Wasn't fit enough last year to warrant more games than he got. Even the couple he played he didn't really contribute much. He has admitted (in a post season interview on the Swans' website) that he didn't grasp what was expected of him last year during the off-season and that he wasn't fit enough at the start of pre-season. A couple of niggling ankle injuries throughout the season further hampered his ability to achieve / maintain the necessary level of fitness.

1. Scott Pendlebury, the best mid in comp 2011, very efficient contested ballwiner
2. Matt Priddis - contested ball hog, very consistent
3. Jack Redden - goalkicker inside midfielder
4. Josh P Kennedy - hard ball get machine
5. Greg Broughton - big numbers for inexperienced player
6. Cyril Rioli - most damaging small forward in the game
7. Ashley Smith - speed, clasy rebounder, can kick a goal
8. Scott Selwood - gun tagger and now ballwinner
9. Clint Bartram - same as above, slightly less a tagger maybe
10. Luke McPharlin - only player i know who can consistently match franklin, roo, and their like

Tom Lonergan rarely lowers his colours these days as a key backman.

Agreed. Picks up the oppositions best key fwd, does the job and allows Taylor and Scarlett to do what they do best. Over the last 2 years he has taken the honours over Riewoldt, Cloke & Franklin more often than not when matched up on them. Not the most skilled defender going around, but definitely one of the best "shut-down" players there is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Picks up the oppositions best key fwd, does the job and allows Taylor and Scarlett to do what they do best. Over the last 2 years he has taken the honours over Riewoldt, Cloke & Franklin more often than not when matched up on them. Not the most skilled defender going around, but definitely one of the best "shut-down" players there is.

which games besides the grand final has he shut down cloke?

don't remember him closing down franklin except for that game in Rd 4 or 5 this year.

Riewoldt's been poor this year so it's hard to tell if he's been beaten or he's just not playing well.

1. Scott Pendlebury, the best mid in comp 2011, very efficient contested ballwiner
10. Luke McPharlin - only player i know who can consistently match franklin, roo, and their like

I dont see how Pendles, Rioli or McPharlin could be considered under rated. Everyone knows how good they are.

Rioli is not the most damaging small forward in the comp by a long shot

1.James Kelly (Geelong)
2.Travis Boak (Port)
3.Shannon Hurn (West Coast)
4.Nick Smith (Sydney)
5.Richard Douglas (Adelaide)
6.Corey Enright (Geelong)
7.Jordie McKenzie (Melbourne)
8.Alan Toovey (Collingwood
9.Scott Thompson (Adelaide)
10.Heath Hocking (Essendon)

Anyone You would Change? :footy::footy::footy:

Enright??? 4 AA's, 3 Flags and 2 B&Fs. Does anyone under-rate him???

I'd throw Boyd, Thompson, Cross, Joey Kennedy, Priddis... in the mix.

Rioli is not the most damaging small forward in the comp by a long shot

this is the view of ppl who look only at his goal tally, but in terms of setting up goals + goals he's the best.

I dont see how Pendles, Rioli or McPharlin could be considered under rated. Everyone knows how good they are.

pendlebury had an amazing year yet was ovelooked for the mvp for a player who didn't even win his club bnf. his grand final was hudge but he didn't win the norm smith. etc.

rioli's game gets wrongly assessed purely in terms of goal output by a lot of ppl when it's his ability to set up and create goals in the f50 that is overlooked. just creates goals for his team out of nothing.

McPharlin well, he's a freak of an athlete, great mark who never gets beaten. a state champion 400 metre runner who is about the only player who can match up on franklin. shouldve had aa honours again this year ahead of scarlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back