Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kelly and Enright are exactly the type who would normally be underrated, but since they play for Geelong their efforts have been highlighted and well documented.

Usually a player gets underrated if his weakness is glaringly obvious and stands out (Eg. Occassional bad kick mixed with mostly good kicks) and his strength is usually less obvious (Eg. An elite handball, inside work, etc)

Also, player ratings are commonly exaggerated according to club ladder position.

From other clubs, I'd select Nathan Jones, Carrazzo, and Jobe Watson (some will argue that Jobe is rated, but I still think he's better than popular opinion).

From Richmond, by this criteria, I'd probably select Shaun Grigg, as he has an obvious deficiency that everybody sees, while his strengths are good without being eye-catching.

It's all about strengths and weaknesses and how obvious they are to the average fan.

From Carlton, I'd say Simpson, Robinson, Carrazzo and Scotland are all players who are rated far higher by our fans/ coaches than by the general footy public.

Some from other clubs: Bolton, Moloney, Clint Jones, Hocking, Hurn, Merrett, Lonergan, Ben Johnson, Leigh Adams, Mackie.

Shows that inside midfielders who do the hard stuff but aren't flashy are generally the type to be underrated (except by a clubs own fans).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson is called underrated by so many it probaly makes him rated. Very good player. Think he is underrated by the media and some people outside of Carlton.

Mackenzie is very underrated. Beat Cloke in the qualifying final. Didn't have players cutting off the ball much either. He out muscled Cloke the whole game when he really isn't a big looking player. Harry Taylor couldn't even stop Cloke. Far to big for him. Lonergan did and I feel he is underrated.

Scott Selwood is underrated by alot even our own supporters. There is more to the kid than just tagging. Very good offensively.

Kerr is a player who is underrated because of injury preventing him from showing the world how good he is. I feel like Ablett is underrated somehow. Gets hyped up like crazy from the media but I feel he doesn't get the acknowledgment he deserves.

Houli, Moloney, most the Geelong team, Merret, Scotland are all players who I feel are also underrated. There are so many underrated players it's not funny. Maybe you have to watch every game of the year to realize just how good they are.

Keep seeing Mackie getting thrown up, is he not rated?
I was under the impression he was held in high regard by most of the football world.

I am of the opinion he is overrated and Bomber was more than justified in dropping him towards the end of '10.

Andrew Swallow
Kennedy from swans

Sidebottom from pies ( u dont notice him, but his stats speak for themselves, basically top 5 for possesions goals and tackles at pies)

Simon Black (by victorians)

Luke Ball

J.Blair

The fact that you (and many others) don't know who Nick Smith is, is part of the reason he is so underrated.

Apart from Smith

Sam Butler
Matt Rosa
Jordie McKenzie
Josh Kennedy (Syd)
Danny Stanley
David Mackay
Matt Thomas
Stewart Crameri
Liam Shiels
Ryan Hargrave
A great call on Rosa.

Butler I would agree with but it is probably down to injury. Strings some great form together then gets injured. I think a few on the WC board feel lucky if we get 16 games out of him in a season. Very good when fit though, solidly better than Waters.

Danny Stanley
Stephen Milne
Sean Dempster
Eric MacKenzie
Brent Guerra
Kade Simpson
David Zaharakis
Agree with Mackenzie. Doesn't get much attention but he consistently beats his opponent.
Getting more reliable in his disposal and confident with the ball in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back