8. S. Sidebottom
9. C. Rioli
10. T. Cotchin
11. H. Taylor
12. M. Hurley
13. J Grimes
14. P. Dangerfield
15. D. Hannebery

Call it bias or call it blind faith but IMO Watts will still be the best player to come out of the recent drafts.

I suppose it's admirable that you're not listing a particular Melbourne player, but you've absolutely no footy talent spotting ability whatsoever if you don't have Trengove in your top 10.

Some are so ridiculous when it comes to Watts, it's as if the football community wants him to fail.

Is it because he's a little bit cocky or because he's generated a lot of hype? Maybe some don't like the fact that he was a private school boy?

Who really knows?

The fact is that he was never going to be an overnight sensation, given that he came into the league as an underage draftee/rake who was always going to be a part-time footballer in his first year due to schooling commitments. As such, last year was basically his first full year of football, and it was an interrupted one due to an injury in pre-season.

Looking at his attributes, he's really got it all apart from weight on his frame and perhaps endurance, both of which are easy to improve over time when compared to the other attributes one requires to succeed at AFL level.

I just don't see him failing personally, he is simply too talented to end up on the scrap heap. With this in mind, I look forward to him proving many people wrong over the next decade.

If I was a new team and the AFL would let me steal any 10 players from these drafts I would probably take them in this order...

1. Stephen Hill
2. Nic Naitanui
3. Matt Kreuzer
4. Trent Cotchin
5. Cyril Rioli
6. Dustin Martin
7. Patrick Dangerfield
8. Nat Fyfe
9. Jack Watts
10. Jack Trengove

This is about as close as I'd like to see.
1. Hill
2. Rioli
3. Kreuser( knee huge if )
4. Cotchin
5. Trengrove
6. Taylor
7. Naitanui
8. Martin
9. Rich
10. Jetta or Beams

I appreciate all the hype over Sidebottom and his ability in big games awareness etc. etc.
But there are plenty who have had his body shape that have very short careers.
Martin and Rich are in the same boat ?
I think Beams/ Jetta can be something special ?

So much bias in this thread... Can someone please explain the hype associated with Cotchin?? From my perspective, Martin is a much more accomplished player. He has played exactly half the football of Cotchin, a year younger and far more valuable to Richmond.
There would not have been many players tagged as often as Cotchin has been so early in their career.
Don't think he warrants to be called a champion, or potential champion, elite etc. but he has shown ability above average !;)

Sidebottom is a super talent and would sit very comfortably in a top 15 in my opinion.

In a somewhat self-serving question, have people just forgotten about Andy Otten? Or is he simply being left out of most people's top 15 (and even some people's top 25!) on merit? I know he only played one full season before he went down with the knee injury, but he was superb despite playing out of his natural position.

I reckon he'll creep up in many people's estimations before this year is through.

I suppose it's admirable that you're not listing a particular Melbourne player, but you've absolutely no footy talent spotting ability whatsoever if you don't have Trengove in your top 10.
You cant make definitive statements like that at this stage of their careers.

Any Trengove, Grimes, Dangerfield, Hanners, Cotchin and Sidebottom could all be argued to have claims on any given position. However at this stage of their respective careers i say Hanners is JUST ahead of Trengove.

That said Barlow might be done and they all feature in the top 15.

It's one or both. Watts has ability, but he has played 18 games for 12 goals. At the exact same age Matthew Richardson had played 33 games for 87 goals. People argue that KPP take longer but the best ones shine almost immediately. Look at Brereton - five goals on debut - in a final - at 17. Longmire kicked 98 and won a Coleman at 19. Dermie, Royce Hart and Jon Brown were premiership CHFs as teenagers. Watts is a lovely kick who makes good decisions with ball in hand but he'll need more than that. A pack mark would be a good start.

Haters gunna hate.

How does he compare to Jack and Nick Reiwoldt? Answer. Poorly.

Players all develop at different rates. Watts has all of the tools to be one of the games great players. But only time will tell if he will be able to apply them in the AFL at the level it’s expected.

Cotchin is the most overrated player in the league ATM his output has been average at best to be fair he has had alot of injuries but that's life same goes with ziebell I'm getting sick of the overating of these players.

Cannons, my comments are based on what I have seen on the field, nothing more.

Fair enough, and I wasn't exclusively referring to you in that regard, it just seems strange that Watts cops so much criticism for one so young and with so much obvious ability.

I mean, he's quicker than almost every player in the league over 20m, he's incredibly skilful and athletic for his size and his vision, decision making and creativity is really good as well.

The talent is there, he just needs to add some bulk and stamina to the mix and then he should be unbelievably well equipped to succeed at AFL level.

When you get people like Leigh Matthews saying he'll only ever be a fringe player at best, you really have to wonder how he and others saying similar things have arrived at succ outlandish conclusions.

On Cotchin, I do, from time to time, think the kid to be a touch overrated, but that's mainly due to the hype surrounding him. Other times, however, I think that hype is totally warranted, as he is just such a talented unit. I remember watching him play against Essendon (I think) and it left me in awe of his abilities. I normally hate this saying, but he could be anything if he avoids injury.

Ziebell, however, is definitely overrated, at least from my perspective. I really don't understand why he seems to generate so much attention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's one or both. Watts has ability, but he has played 18 games for 12 goals. At the exact same age Matthew Richardson had played 33 games for 87 goals. People argue that KPP take longer but the best ones shine almost immediately. Look at Brereton - five goals on debut - in a final - at 17. Longmire kicked 98 and won a Coleman at 19. Dermie, Royce Hart and Jon Brown were premiership CHFs as teenagers. Watts is a lovely kick who makes good decisions with ball in hand but he'll need more than that. A pack mark would be a good start.

Practically everyone is putting their own player at number one so far be it from me to buck the trend:

1. Cotchin
2. Rioli
3. Hill
4. Martin
5. Kreuzer
6. Trengove
7. Jurrah
8. Fyfe
9. Morabito
10. Hurley
11. Scully
12. Sidebottom
13. Hartlett
14. Dangerfield
15. Naitanui

But as has been said, we're all guessing. And realistically there will be a handful above the rest, then a blanket over 30 or more.

Lloydy also wasn't playing for a side as bad as Melbourne have been over the past few years.

Cotchin has an advanced inside game but needs to get fit to improve the outside game. Could end up like Luke Ball (no not the premiership player part, you smart ass Collingwood supporters, the slow and one-dimensional part) if he doesn't get the body right

So much bias in this thread... Can someone please explain the hype associated with Cotchin?? From my perspective, Martin is a much more accomplished player. He has played exactly half the football of Cotchin, a year younger and far more valuable to Richmond.

Telling you without a doubt Cotchin will be a better player than Martin... needs to get a good run with injuries and he will shine

Heres my effort (sorry for the Melbourne bias - it was a real tossup for the first 3)..

1. Scully
2. Hill
3. Kreuzer
4. Hurley
5. Grimes
6. Rioli
7. Hannebury
8. Zeibell
9. Martin
10. Jurrah
11. Sidebottom
12. Rich
13. H. Taylor
14. Barlow
15. Trengove

You cant make definitive statements like that at this stage of their careers.

Having seen quite a lot of Hannebery as a junior and now in the AFL I can.

It's no slight on Hannebery, but imo he's not in Trengove's league.

Do you realise that the OP's question is based upon who'll end up the best 15 players and not what they've done to date ?

Brent Macaffer (rookie 07), very underrated, very very strong overhead for his size, im betting he turns into a very good player.

Sharrod Wellingham (rookie 07), i rate him higher than beams and sidebotton at this stage, will be a better player than daisy IMO and is my favourite player.

Jarryd Blair. (rookie 08), has the ability to be a real pest, very low centre of gravity and is tough, has the ability to cement his spot in our team IMO (if he hasnt already)

We've heard enough about beams and sidebottom, my point is if you rate sidebottom/beams you must rate wellingham, as i said i rate him higher than those 2 ATM (he is older though), id have wellingham in the top 10/15 from those 3 drafts.

Update:

I have done a tally to show what has been voted as the best 15. Players voted # 1 receive 15 points, # 2 get 14. # 3 get 13, through to # 15 which get 1 vote.

1. Hill: 132
2. Rioli: 115
Kreuzer: 115
4. Sidebottom 77

Martin 77
6. Hurley: 72
7. Barlow: 68
8. Taylor: 67
9. Scully 66

10. Natanui: 58
11. Cotchin: 43

12. Hannebery: 34
13. Rich: 31
14. Watts 30
15. Dangerfield: 29

Trengove: 26
Morabito: 19

Grimes 14
Ziebell: 13

Ward: 11
Beams: 10
Davis: 9

Jurrah: 9
Hartlett: 9
Fyfe: 8
Pears: 8

Shuey: 3

Lloydy also wasn't playing for a side as bad as Melbourne have been over the past few years.
I didn't mention Lloyd.

Fair enough, and I wasn't exclusively referring to you in that regard, it just seems strange that Watts cops so much criticism for one so young and with so much obvious ability.

I mean, he's quicker than almost every player in the league over 20m, he's incredibly skilful and athletic for his size and his vision, decision making and creativity is really good as well.

The talent is there, he just needs to add some bulk and stamina to the mix and then he should be unbelievably well equipped to succeed at AFL level.

When you get people like Leigh Matthews saying he'll only ever be a fringe player at best, you really have to wonder how he and others saying similar things have arrived at succ outlandish conclusions.
Did Matthews really say that? I know he said he hadn't seen anything special yet from Watts to justify the #1 status, but I don't recall the fringe player statement.

Watts tests quick over 20m but he can look slow on the field. Being quick from a standing start to 20m is more important for a full-forward than a CHF I'd say. Watts projects as a CHF more than a FF, so repeat sprinting, long leading and endurance running will be more important for him.

Haters gunna hate.

How does he compare to Jack and Nick Reiwoldt? Answer. Poorly.

Players all develop at different rates. Watts has all of the tools to be one of the games great players. But only time will tell if he will be able to apply them in the AFL at the level it’s expected.
Nick Riewoldt missed his first AFL season through injury. In his second (really his first) he won the rising star, playing 22 games for 22 goals, averaging 14.5 disposals and 8.1 marks. The praise for him was unanimous. Jack Riewoldt played 18 games for 18 goals in his second season, compared with Watts' 18 games for 12 goals. So I would say neither compares poorly to Watts and the only hating is yours, of any suggestion Watts might not be the messiah.

As I said, he has a lot of talent, but as a key forward I want to see him take some big marks. I can't recall one yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 15 players 07 - 09 Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back