Top 15 players 07 - 09 Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, and I wasn't exclusively referring to you in that regard, it just seems strange that Watts cops so much criticism for one so young and with so much obvious ability.

Ziebell, however, is definitely overrated, at least from my perspective. I really don't understand why he seems to generate so much attention.

Do you think it's a bit hypocritical for you to pot Ziebell after complaining about people daring to criticise one of Melbourne's players?

I think that supercoach points are a very good indication of how players play, and show their true worth to the team and how they perform. Just for some interesting stats, these are just the leading names from the '07 - '09 draft periods in question with some very surprising results. (**note: I have probably missed players but feel free to research them and show me how they fit in with it all**).

Any ways: Name: Career Supercoach Average:
1.Michael Barlow 116.0
2. Greg Broughton 98.6
3. James Podsiadly 91.8
4. Liam Anthony 90.1
5. Luke Ball 89.6
6. Jack Grimes 88.0
7. Rhys Palmer 70.6 ('08 ave: 87.4)
8. Harry Taylor 82.0
9. Tom Rockliff 82.2
10. Daniel Rich 81.9
11. Dayne Beams 80.9
12. Steele Sidebottom 79.1
13. Cyril Rioli 75.7
14. Dan Hannebury 73.3
15. Matthew Kruezer 72.9
16. Dustin Martin 77.9
17. Jordie McKenzie 75.1
18. Jack Trengove 74.7
19. Leigh Brown 74.5
20. Michael Hurley 73.5
21. Jack Redden 73.3
22. Andy Otten 71.8
23. Stephen Hill 71.2
24. Tom Scully 71.1
25. Ryan Bastinac 70.5
26. Trent Cotchin 70.5
27. Shane Mumford 69.5
28. Ben Stratton 68.9

*I put in Rhys Palmer as his debut '08 season saw him average 87, something unheard of in 18 y.o debut season's. You can mix and match names to take into account premierships, games played, age, impact on games, but like I said, supercoach points give a fair indication of their output in games.

Bias (towards me) I know, but I still think this is the best list in this thread!

Think about it, will go through each player if you would like a reasoning why they are their, I will go through it.

Ask away?

Colyer or Howlett will be the ones who nobody rates now, and will think where the hell did they come from, they are the 2 most under rated players who have been drafted in 09, Colyer could well end up top 5 drafted players for 09. maybe I will be way off, just what I have seen Colyer best is better then most of these players every1 raves on about.

Any of these lists without Nathan Grima are wrong.....

did you all forget about him????

do you not have Foxtel????

nobody listed him....

Bias (towards me) I know, but I still think this is the best list in this thread!

Think about it, will go through each player if you would like a reasoning why they are their, I will go through it.

Ask away?

i like the list too, but you left out Nathan Grima who averaged 91.6

Did Matthews really say that? I know he said he hadn't seen anything special yet from Watts to justify the #1 status, but I don't recall the fringe player statement.

Watts tests quick over 20m but he can look slow on the field. Being quick from a standing start to 20m is more important for a full-forward than a CHF I'd say. Watts projects as a CHF more than a FF, so repeat sprinting, long leading and endurance running will be more important for him.

Yeah, he said it on radio after one of our matches earlier this year, think it was after the West Coast match.

On his other attributes, I know his repeat sprint was the same as Stephen Hill's, so it was pretty impressive, not to mention the fact that his 20m time was better than Hill's. His endurance is still a question mark, though, but luckily it isn't one of those abilities that you either have or haven't got, he can work on it over time and should become more than capable in that area.

He can also look slow on the field, and I think that's to do with the fact that he has been able to cruise through the juniors and dominate with little effort, and as such, he needs to come to terms with the pace of AFL football to a greater degree and realise that his intensity needs to be a lot higher than it was at times last season.

Like I said, he has everything required to succeed, he just needs to improve on some very improvable facets of his game and he should become a very good footballer.

Do you think it's a bit hypocritical for you to pot Ziebell after complaining about people daring to criticise one of Melbourne's players?

I have no real problem with criticising players, I have a problem with a bottom-aged draftee who was horribly under-sized in his first couple of seasons copping it from all angles. He just didn't deserve all of the negative attention placed upon him, and Melbourne's handling of him in the first year didn't help him in that regard.

Moreover, it's quite clear to me that Watts has a number of elite attributes, but the same can't be said about Ziebell. His hardness is second-to-none, but aside from that, I don't really see anything that stands out to an excessive degree. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a very good player, but I'm not sure he'll reach the heights than many North supporters are expecting him to reach.

All of this is just my opinion, and you're free to either agree, disagree or feel indifferent about it.

Ask away?

As I said in my previous post regarding SC points, it is a midfielders game, thus why 28 mids averaged 100+ while only 1 ruckman, 4 Defenders (x2 of which were MPP playing midfiled aswell) and 5 Forwards (again x3 MPP) scored over 100 last year.........

IF you want to use SC points then standardise them against say the top 5 players in each position (maybe 3 for Ruckman considering they are a minor group of players) and then come back with a list ;):thumbsu:

If it's a midfielder's game; and there's more midfielders who've done anything, why would you want to exclude a bigger chunk of them purely to include more rucks or tall forward etc - none of whom have done much???

If it's a midfielder's game; and there's more midfielders who've done anything, why would you want to exclude a bigger chunk of them purely to include more rucks or tall forward etc - none of whom have done much???

SC, not AFL, is purely a midfielders game. As Essendon supporters will tell you, Hurley a KPP is more valuable than most midfielders recruited in this period, yet won't score ANYWHERE near as much in SC because he is a KPP.

Also the thread is about a players career, not their ability to rack up posessions in the first couple of years in the AFL. Most KPP/Ruckmen won't play much football during the beginning of their career, let alone score well in SC, let alone be able to compete with SC midfielders scores.

As I said, x6 more midfielders score +100 points/game last year than defenders, and half those defenders were MPP midfielders.

Harry Taylor was AA CHB last year, yet only scored 87.10 points/game. That would put him in at the 64th best scoring mids :eek::eek::eek:. That puts the AA CHB behind great mids of the game such as Winderlich, Staker and Travis Johnson (you know, the guy who was just delisted from the Lions).

Hurley already averages more super coach points then Kreuzer, that is something.

Last year Hurley averaged 69.42 points (#84 for defenders), Kreuzer averaged 82.00 (#7 for Ruck and it would have put him in at equal #37 for defenders), and that includes his 6 point game where he did his knee early on (1st qtr iirc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point I was making was that, SuperCoach points are actually quite a good guide on where players rank.

Of course they are weighted heavily towards midfielders, but then again, they are always in the game.

You look at the top 10 scorers of last year (Total Points):

Dane Swan 2,791
Brendon Goddard 2,735
Gary Ablett 2,727
Leigh Montagna 2,526
Daniel Cross 2,507
Joel Selwood 2,474
Luke Hodge 2,446
Scott Pendlebury 2,432
Nick Dal Santo 2,362

Probably wouldnt argue with that.

However, you look at it for Points Per Game and it gets really interesting.
Brendon Goddard 130.24
Gary Ablett 129.86
Dane Swan 126.86
Chris Judd 118.53
Joel Selwood 117.81
Luke Hodge 116.48
Paul Chapman 116.43
Michael Barlow 116.00
Leigh Montagna 114.82
Aaron Sandilands 114.00

Pretty happy with that as a list of ranked players. Guys like Daniel Cross (11), Scott Pendlebury (14), Nick Riewoldt (15), Lance Franklin 17) and even the premier defender Brian Lake (21) out of the top 10 for points per game, really showing how much you have to work to be regarded as elite.

1 - Rioli
2 - Naitanui
3 - Taylor
4 - Sidebottom
5 - Hill
6 - Scully
7 - Kruezer
8 - Hurley
9 - Beams
10 - Dangerfield

Always a danger rating the kids in a premiership team higher than actually deserved.
Same happened with the Essendon side of 2000 where every player was an absolute superstar, until....

top 15 players i would pick to have in my team from these drafts. (best players im trying to ignore positional needs)

1. Martin - rate best young mid in the comp (excluding swallow damn he's good)
2. Scully - rate great young mid
3. Hill - so much to improve on still. thats whats scary coz he's already pretty good. similiar to nic nat in this regard.
4. Trengrove - a little vanilla for my liking but a very promising prospect
5. Cotchin - injury has held him back otherwise would be a proven gun already great pace and disposal
6. Rioli - has already proven himself to be very damaging but an occasionally inconsistant player
7. Dangerfield - reminds me a bit of ricciuito
8. Hurley - great kpp potential already shown a bit.
9. Morabito - injury is bad but still very promising if he recovers fully.
10. Taylor - proven kpb. only reason he aint higher is he has already fulfilled his potential and kpb's are not as important as mids or forwards to a team
11. Rich - good player may not have much more potential though
12. Watts - really has shown little at afl but does have some pretty serious talent
13. Kreuzer - i have never rated him particuliarly high but is undoubtebly a very good young ruck. The knee could be a bit of a concern though depending how well he recovers.

With Naitanui and Shuey to round out the 15. i didnt rank these 2 due to possible bias but i would have them both in the top ten. To all the shuey haters get over it i rate him more than nic nat you dont just coz he hasnt been on the park and you havent seen him. You may see what all us eagles supporters see eventually. all he needs to do is get on the park and his class will be evident.
And to all you collingwood supporters im sorry i just dont rate sidebottom and beams they are not that great and will not be that great in my oppinion. very good maybe but these are players who are worthy of top 5 picks only and it is just opinion and there are many unlucky players in lists like this cunnington, fyfe, jetta, rohan, hanneberry blah blah blah list goes on.

Taylor Walker anyone? Has outperformed, or equalled, the output of players such as Brown, Riewoldt, Pav etc at the same point in their career's. And we got him dirt cheap! (thanks NSW Scholarship system:))

Also talked about on here and in the media as part of the best up and coming fowardline duo (with Tippett of course).

It seems this thread is just comparing the first round players, when many decent players were taken well after that.

Taylor Walker anyone? Has outperformed, or equalled, the output of players such as Brown, Riewoldt, Pav etc at the same point in their career's. And we got him dirt cheap! (thanks NSW Scholarship system:))

Also talked about on here and in the media as part of the best up and coming fowardline duo (with Tippett of course).

It seems this thread is just comparing the first round players, when many decent players were taken well after that.

Might make a top 30. but defs not a 15. he aint anything spesh. and he has definetely not outperformed either riewoldt at the same age. cant speak for the other two i cant really remember there first few years.

Can you tell me how many 19 year olds in the last 20 years have performed to such a level in a Grand Final. It's not that only Sidebottom had the ability to influence such a game at such an early age, you could probably count on less than 1 hand youngsters that have the composure & touch to influence such a game.
He was just a little bit older, but Mcleod says hello. Sidebottom will be lucky to get close to a quarter of the career Macca had.

Sidebottom will be a good player, but he is also quite pedestrian. And what I mean by that, is that he'll never go down as a great or whatever, just remembered as a solid player.

Might make a top 30. but defs not a 15. he aint anything spesh. and he has definetely not outperformed either riewoldt at the same age. cant speak for the other two i cant really remember there first few years.
He actually has outperformed Riewoldt, but hey, whatever suits your arguement.

This is a look at their first 3 year's (including the others I've mentioned):
Riewoldt: 50 games, 727 disposals, 374 marks, 53.37
Pavlich: 61 games, 918 disposals, 316 marks, 52.36
Brown: 47 games, 700 dispoals, 301 marks, 57.38
Walker: 32 games, 323 disposals, 141 marks, 58.47

Has also kicked more goals than Buddy in his first 2 seasons playing, and can have far more impact on a game, with fewer disposals, than the other 3 players. Never been an overly high possession foward (as yet, may well turn this around). Kicked 4 on Scarlett last year too, which isn't a bad achievement for such a young player.

At least have some evidence before such a baseless arguement.

Walker is clearly the best KP prospect of those drafts, but never seems to be brought up as he wasn't a high profile pick. At least the media are starting to recognise his talent, and GWS certainly know how good this guy will be.

Walker is easily in the top 15 potential wise, an absolute gun forward! Not many people seem to watch many crows games, they will be the surprise packet in 2011 and will do alot of damage in september in my opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 15 players 07 - 09 Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back