Top 3 for 2008 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We have two young defenders in Bower and Austin and traded a young CHF called Josh Kennedy to the WCE. I think we'll have to draft a tall forward early in the next draft if Hartlett and Edwards don't develop and play decent footy next year.

And that's why you're not a recruiter. :)
What?!

I thought Edwards >>> Swallow lollmaorofl!!!111?

Or were you being stupid again?

Are you saying we should have taken Hansen ahead of Gibbs?

LOL.

Or are you knocking Austin?

Austin>>>>>>>>>Aaron Edwards.
I thought Edwards >>> Swallow lollmaorofl!!!111?
Let me know when Swallow's kicking even approaches Walker's for accuracy. ;)

Swallow was overlooked in 2004 before "sliding" to pick 46 in a weak draft because he can't kick over a jam tin.

And nothing has changed.

Swallow wouldn't even get a game in our side ahead of Judd, Hadley, Murphy, Gibbs, Scotland, Carrazzo, Houlihan, Walker, Simpson, Bentick and an up and comer such as Grigg. A bottom age player like Edwards was a good choice for pick 36 in a weak draft and has more upside than Swallow with his speed off the mark.
Or were you being stupid again?
The irony of that comment is hilarious when it's coming from a fan of a club that thinks they can survive in Melbourne.

Where is Trotter playing in 2008?

LOL.

Has any one had a look at the book out from champion data prospectus they have named the top 20 draft picks for this draft can any one post it ?It would be interesting who they rate !!

I have heard and red a lot about Rich and Natunai in the posts on big footy and have an idea what they are capable of. But I have also heard of Hurley name but not much about him as far as the type of player he is. Is he a key position player or a midfielder? What is his height? What are his strenghs and weaknesses?

Are you saying we should have taken Hansen ahead of Gibbs?

LOL.
Hansen is a better player then Gibbs. Time will tell though.

Austin>>>>>>>>>Aaron Edwards.
Gee for your sake i hope this Austin kid turns out.

Let me know when Swallow's kicking even approaches Walker's for accuracy. ;)
How about you come back to me with Walker's first two seasons compared to Swallows. :rolleyes:

Swallow was overlooked in 2004 before "sliding" to pick 46 in a weak draft because he can't kick over a jam tin.
You can also say that the bloke is too small, didnt have much upside in him, blah, blah, blah. The kid isn't a athlete, hes a footballer. Period.

Swallow wouldn't even get a game in our side ahead of Judd, Hadley, Murphy, Gibbs, Scotland, Carrazzo, Houlihan, Walker, Simpson, Bentick and an up and comer such as Grigg. A bottom age player like Edwards was a good choice for pick 36 in a weak draft and has more upside than Swallow with his speed off the mark.
Wheres all this Hadley love coming from?? And you would prefer Houlihans bitchness over Swallow's guts work? Oh and do i sense Stevens is missing out? Your midfield is good. Real good in fact... but don't pump up your tires too early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have heard and red a lot about Rich and Natunai in the posts on big footy and have an idea what they are capable of. But I have also heard of Hurley name but not much about him as far as the type of player he is. Is he a key position player or a midfielder? What is his height? What are his strenghs and weaknesses?
Hurls is a 192 KPP can play back or forward and was AA Full Back last year as a bottom ager. His stregth is his ability to read the play and he has thumping long kick, needs to work on his aerobic capasity is not quick and not top endurance play lacks very little in pure football ability.

I'm a tassie guy and trust me when i say there are some decent players in this years draft from Tasmania...

Aaron Cornelius & Tyson Mihocek are both absolute guns...i would be happy to suggest now Mihocek will definitely be a 200+ player, with the skills, strength and attitude to become the next Ben Cousins - speaking of football achievements here guys - so look out from Tassie!

But Sinepari the WCE supporter is the man to listen to? :rolleyes:

No offence, but Wayne Hughes would have forgotten more than you or Sinepari know.

And Hughes also praised Rich in that article, so I guess he's been reading Bigfooty.

I think you're a bitter WCE fan.
mate, if you had watched Natanui, even once, you'd know exactly what he's talking about, and you'd agree. The kid has only been playing footy a couple of years, so he's very very raw. What he does have though is amazing athletic ability (speed off the mark, vertical leap, strength etc) and he really attacks every contest, not one that comes in and out of the game like some
What he doesn't have yet is good skills, or a footy brain, that's why he is a risk. He's a risk worth taking because his upside is incredible, but he's a risk none the less. Hughes obviously thinks his upside outweighs the safe bet the Kreuzer is, but it's a matter of opinion. Personally I'd take Rich over all of them, every day of the week

If Rich wasnt picked up top 3 it would be an absoloute joke he has it all safest bet for next year.
Also dont count out Tom Swift if he recovers well from injury he will be right up there tall strong midfielder. Looks like Embley and weould play pretty similar as well.

mate, if you had watched Natanui, even once, you'd know exactly what he's talking about, and you'd agree. The kid has only been playing footy a couple of years, so he's very very raw. What he does have though is amazing athletic ability (speed off the mark, vertical leap, strength etc) and he really attacks every contest, not one that comes in and out of the game like some
What he doesn't have yet is good skills, or a footy brain, that's why he is a risk. He's a risk worth taking because his upside is incredible, but he's a risk none the less.

Based on what I saw of Natanui last year I agree with this completely. He may be drafted in the top 3 based on potential alone, because he has plenty of it and hell, most ruckmen take a few years to develop anyway and he'd be worth waiting for, but whichever side does take him better be pretty confident in their track record for developing young players to fulfill their potential.

From The Prospectus, Predicted top 25 picks

Sam Blease Midfielder 182cm
Eastern 19/02/1991 70kg

Blease was one of the leading midfielders at the 2007 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships, averaging 19 disposals per game. His disposal efficiency of 83% was elite and he showed an ability to read the play by winning the equal third-most loose ball gets of any division one player. He scored 5 goals at the carnival and also averaged 3 clearances and four inside 50s.

Matthew Broadbent Midfielder 187cm
Woodville-West Torrens 1/08/1990 77kg

Broadbent is a midfielder who is damaging as both an inside and outside player. His best performances as a junior came in the 2006 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships where he ranked third in division one for handballs, equal fourth for hardball-gets and equal sixth in the handball-receives. In 2007 he played two games for South Australia in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and also made seven appearances in the SANFL reserves for Woodville-West Torrens.

Ayce Cordy Ruckman 200cm
Geelong 6/08/1990 72kg

Cordy is eligible to be taken by the Western Bulldogs under the father son rule in 2008 after his father, Brian, played 124 games for the club from 1981-88. He spent most of 2007 playing school football, but appeared 3 times for Geelong in the TAC Cup where he showed his mobility by averaging 14 disposals per game. He was strong in the air with an average of two contested marks in those games and despite standing over 200cm he was also good at ground level where he averaged 5 hard ball gets.

Aaron Cornelius Key Forward 191cm
Tasmania 29/05/1990 81kg

Cornelius has proven in his junior career to date to be one of the best marks for his age. Since taking nine contested marks for Tasmania in the opening game of the 2006 NAB AFL Under 16 Championships, Cornelius has continued that form to average more than three per game in 14 games of under-age football for his state in the past two years. At age 17 he made his debut for Tasmania in the VFL late last season and took the equal most marks of anyone in the 2007 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

Tyson Davis-Neale General Forward 184cm
South Adelaide 20/03/1991 74kg

Davis-Neale averaged 12 disposals and scored four goals in the 2007 NAB AFL Under 16 Championships for South Australia. While not a huge ball winner, he showed signs across half forward that he could potentially be a high selection in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft. He booted 20 goals in 13 games at SANFL Under 17 level for South Adelaide last season.

Matthew DeBoer Midfielder 183cm
Claremont 10/3/1990 77kg

DeBoer bypassed the 2007 NAB AFL Draft despite being one of the leading junior midfielders in 2007. In 17 games at WAFL colts level for Claremont he averaged 25 disposals, 5 hardball gets and 3 clearances per game and had a kicking efficiency of 73% which was in the average category. At the 2007 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships DeBoer averaged 17 disposals and five hard ball gets per game.

Steven Gaertner Utility 196cm
Dandenong 2/01/1990 83kg

Gaertner played 11 games for Dandenong in the 2007 TAC Cup but was surprisingly overlooked in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft. He averaged only 13 disposals per match for the stingrays after starting the season well before struggling towards the end. He averaged 16 disposals in his first six games, but that average dropped to less than 10 per game in the final five rounds. In a sign of his ability he had 27 disposals, took 14 marks and scored 4 goals in the round 5 game against Tasmania, but struggled to settle in one position throughout the season which hindered his development.

Hamish Hartlett Midfielder 181cm
West Adelaide 14/08/1990 67kg

Hartlett is the younger brother of Adam who has been on Carlton's list for three years. But Hamish is a completely different player. While his brother is a key position type, Hamish is a midfielder who was prominent for South Australia in the 2006 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships. In that carnival he averaged 31 disposals and ranked No.1 for hardball gets and uncontested marks. He averaged 17 disposals in last years NAB AFL Under 18 Championships and made his senior SANFL debut late last season.

I'll type some more up tomorrow.

The other in the predicted top 25 are

Tom Hill
Michael Hurley
Lewis Johnstone
Kieran King
Tom Lynch
Shaun McKernan
Nicholas Naitanui
Daniel Rich
Steele Sidebottom
Ashley Smith
Nick Suban
Tom Swift
Jackson Trengrove
Tyrone Vickery
Michael Walters
Chris Yarran
Jack Ziebell

I will type up the profiles over the next few days.

What he doesn't have yet is good skills, or a footy brain, that's why he is a risk. He's a risk worth taking because his upside is incredible, but he's a risk none the less. Hughes obviously thinks his upside outweighs the safe bet the Kreuzer is, but it's a matter of opinion. Personally I'd take Rich over all of them, every day of the week

Based on what I saw of Natanui last year I agree with this completely. He may be drafted in the top 3 based on potential alone, because he has plenty of it and hell, most ruckmen take a few years to develop anyway and he'd be worth waiting for, but whichever side does take him better be pretty confident in their track record for developing young players to fulfill their potential.

Thank you. People that have actually seen the kid play, commenting. :thumbsu:

From The Prospectus, Predicted top 25 picks

Sam Blease Midfielder 182cm
Eastern 19/02/1991 70kg

Blease was one of the leading midfielders at the 2007 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships, averaging 19 disposals per game. His disposal efficiency of 83% was elite and he showed an ability to read the play by winning the equal third-most loose ball gets of any division one player. He scored 5 goals at the carnival and also averaged 3 clearances and four inside 50s.

Matthew Broadbent Midfielder 187cm
Woodville-West Torrens 1/08/1990 77kg

Broadbent is a midfielder who is damaging as both an inside and outside player. His best performances as a junior came in the 2006 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships where he ranked third in division one for handballs, equal fourth for hardball-gets and equal sixth in the handball-receives. In 2007 he played two games for South Australia in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and also made seven appearances in the SANFL reserves for Woodville-West Torrens.

Ayce Cordy Ruckman 200cm
Geelong 6/08/1990 72kg

Cordy is eligible to be taken by the Western Bulldogs under the father son rule in 2008 after his father, Brian, played 124 games for the club from 1981-88. He spent most of 2007 playing school football, but appeared 3 times for Geelong in the TAC Cup where he showed his mobility by averaging 14 disposals per game. He was strong in the air with an average of two contested marks in those games and despite standing over 200cm he was also good at ground level where he averaged 5 hard ball gets.

Aaron Cornelius Key Forward 191cm
Tasmania 29/05/1990 81kg

Cornelius has proven in his junior career to date to be one of the best marks for his age. Since taking nine contested marks for Tasmania in the opening game of the 2006 NAB AFL Under 16 Championships, Cornelius has continued that form to average more than three per game in 14 games of under-age football for his state in the past two years. At age 17 he made his debut for Tasmania in the VFL late last season and took the equal most marks of anyone in the 2007 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

Tyson Davis-Neale General Forward 184cm
South Adelaide 20/03/1991 74kg

Davis-Neale averaged 12 disposals and scored four goals in the 2007 NAB AFL Under 16 Championships for South Australia. While not a huge ball winner, he showed signs across half forward that he could potentially be a high selection in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft. He booted 20 goals in 13 games at SANFL Under 17 level for South Adelaide last season.

Matthew DeBoer Midfielder 183cm
Claremont 10/3/1990 77kg

DeBoer bypassed the 2007 NAB AFL Draft despite being one of the leading junior midfielders in 2007. In 17 games at WAFL colts level for Claremont he averaged 25 disposals, 5 hardball gets and 3 clearances per game and had a kicking efficiency of 73% which was in the average category. At the 2007 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships DeBoer averaged 17 disposals and five hard ball gets per game.

Steven Gaertner Utility 196cm
Dandenong 2/01/1990 83kg

Gaertner played 11 games for Dandenong in the 2007 TAC Cup but was surprisingly overlooked in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft. He averaged only 13 disposals per match for the stingrays after starting the season well before struggling towards the end. He averaged 16 disposals in his first six games, but that average dropped to less than 10 per game in the final five rounds. In a sign of his ability he had 27 disposals, took 14 marks and scored 4 goals in the round 5 game against Tasmania, but struggled to settle in one position throughout the season which hindered his development.

Hamish Hartlett Midfielder 181cm
West Adelaide 14/08/1990 67kg

Hartlett is the younger brother of Adam who has been on Carlton's list for three years. But Hamish is a completely different player. While his brother is a key position type, Hamish is a midfielder who was prominent for South Australia in the 2006 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships. In that carnival he averaged 31 disposals and ranked No.1 for hardball gets and uncontested marks. He averaged 17 disposals in last years NAB AFL Under 18 Championships and made his senior SANFL debut late last season.

I'll type some more up tomorrow.
thats great thnaks for doing it I hope you can post the rest of the summaries very interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 3 for 2008 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back