List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be on the low side IMO. With all the retirements most likely at end of next year, plus the trades going this year
and Clark coming to us cheaply, I'd say we have a bit more up our sleeves than that.

I missed the plus at the end of 1.2.
but correct we could front end his contract but I'd be very surprised if over the 5 years or so it would be much more than 1.2-1.4 a year.

some people need to get a grip. We have lost 4(?) players that have wanted to leave the club in the last decade. FOUR. Ablett for cash, Prismall for more games, Mumford for cash, and now Bundy..

Carrying on like we just lost our captain and coach.

Lonergan not requesting a trade just goes to show how good the club actually is.

So given that we are accepting 30-40% of Christensen's market value because he is out of contract, the questions is...

Are we going to apply the same reasoning on Clark and give Melbourne our pick 55?

I doubt it. Because that would mean we 'win' the trade. Instead, we are giving up a best 22 player (varcoe). Laughable

So given that we are accepting 30-40% of Christensen's market value because he is out of contract, the questions is...

Are we going to apply the same reasoning on Clark and give Melbourne our pick 55?

I doubt it. Because that would mean we 'win' the trade. Instead, we are giving up a best 22 player (varcoe). Laughable
For two thirds of the year a pocket of this board has bemoaned his continued selection and that he should be dropped. Now he's being traded he's best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Running away has never resolved any problems, not sure why he couldn't man up and take a stand at Geelong and force any negative influences out of his life, whatever they are.

Pick 21 for him is a really poor result, I wouldn't be happy with 21 for Greenwood and Christensen is a better player.

some people need to get a grip. We have lost 4(?) players that have wanted to leave the club in the last decade. FOUR. Ablett for cash, Prismall for more games, Mumford for cash, and now Bundy..

Carrying on like we just lost our captain and coach.

Lonergan not requesting a trade just goes to show how good the club actually is.

How many of those have been in our favor?

I take the opposite implication - that discussions have taken place and that's the basis for him bringing up pick 21. It would be pretty absurd for him to bring it up without having any inkling from Brisbane that this was going to be on the table.
I had a feel it had been a prelim discussion but not a formal offer , which is not unusual I suspect. Nothing's final till its in the papers but I agree it sound almost done..infact it sounded like Balme wanted it doe aqap just in case 21 got drawn into the Beams thing.

Last edited:
For two thirds of the year a pocket of this board has bemoaned his continued selection and that he should be dropped. Now he's being traded he's best 22.

So some idiots on our board are a reflection of how good he is? Come on.

He has been unfairly targeted and is most certainly a best 22 player. I'd say starting 18, and a one of the few players with his skillset on our list.

Given we let bundy go for peanuts because he was out of contract, we should not be paying the price of Varcoe to Clark who is in the same boat (if not worse) than christensen. But we will.

Remember when Michael Mansfield left for pick 28 and there was an uproar. Wells then went and picked Paul Chapman. Just trust the club, they have been pretty good to us.

Im sure we can find plenty of wins and loses. The fact MM was how old etc when it happened not sure its a great example. What did we get from Williams going? Some may say the club cause the transfer money kept us afloat but I cant remember any players...
What about Ablett. 2 picks in the R1. That we have on trade for Caddy and Smedts. Caddy is good get but he is still yet to be a solid contributor. Smedts....next
Mumford ...thats a good one. Got Duncan so thats a win...

How many of those have been in our favor?
Ablett was out of our control, compensation wise, so it's unfair to include that. Still eventually gained Caddy and Smedts for it, the former being very good value.

Prismall (who only played 61) games netted us 39 in 2008, which we used for S.Motlop (65 games already) who looks to have a bright future at the club.

Mumford was traded in '09 for pick 28, which resulted in M.Duncan, now I like Mumford but I think we did better out of that personally, especially given Sydney have since traded him for 35 (after establishing himself at Sydney and becoming a premiership player).

Bundy to early to tell yet.

So out of the 3 deserters who's compensation we could control we've won the first 2 imo and the 3rd can't be judged yet. No doubt we lost out on Ablett though.

Ablett was out of our control, compensation wise, so it's unfair to include that. Still eventually gained Caddy and Smedts for it, the former being very good value.

Prismall (who only played 61) games netted us 39 in 2008, which we used for S.Motlop (65 games already) who looks to have a bright future at the club.

Mumford was traded in '09 for pick 28, which resulted in M.Duncan, now I like Mumford but I think we did better out of that personally, especially given Sydney have since traded him for 35 (after establishing himself at Sydney and becoming a premiership player).

Bundy to early to tell yet.

So out of the 3 deserters who's compensation we could control we've won the first 2 imo and the 3rd can't be judged yet. No doubt we lost out on Ablett though.

Again, I'm not asking who we got. I'm asking do you think we got value for those picks in the trade?

And for the record, Mummy vs Ducan I think is a debate.

A domiante number 1 ruck (which we haven't had since 2011). If we had him,then we would not have all stuff with orren,Hmac, Vardy, Blitz, Walker and Simpson shenanigans. (pretty much failures since) And we could concentrate on Midfielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back