Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the reason his career in the VFL was a short one. He ended up playing in the VFA for Camberwell.
VFA was still a very high standard of football until the VFL takeover. Loved the Willy / Port rivalry in the 80s, and of course the games against Coburg were always a treat too.

That's actually true - Kosi in an interview post-retirement mentioned that he hadn't enjoyed playing a game of football since about age 20.

An ex-Melbourne player (managed a respectable 60 games or so in his career) said playing at the top level is not enjoyable and he loves football again - and life - since returning to suburban football.
Mitch Brown (former Eagle) who's now at SKOBs said pretty much the same thing:

“Being outside the AFL bubble has taught me a lot of things, one of them take the pressure away so you can actually enjoy what you are doing,” Brown said.

“Enjoy the challenge of playing good footy because when I took the worry and stress out of it, you’re amazed how much better footballer you become.

“And I fell in love with footy again. I liked watching it and going to games, listening to it on the radio, reading articles. That’s how it should be, and that’s how it was as a young kid.”

VFA was still a very high standard of football until the VFL takeover. Loved the Willy / Port rivalry in the 80s, and of course the games against Coburg were always a treat too.

I don't know the relative standards of VFL:VFA football in the '50s but in the '70s and '80s, watching it on TV on Sundays, there was a clear drop in standard from VFL. VFA players just couldn't do what VFL players did and the pace of the games was noticeably slower.

I read that Peter Box coached Camberwell. That might explain why a Brownlow Medallist Premiership Centre Half Forward didn't continue with another VFL club if he was disenchanted with Footscray,

I expect most people at any elite level will from time to time struggle with motivation. The challenge to perform at this level is more mental than physical.
The struggle is entirely normal. AFL is now fully professional - talent alone does not cut it.

Its impossible to place an old head on young shoulders. No amount of cliches or motivational thinking alone will do it.

Each player needs to ask and answer for themselves - why they are there? what they want to achieve? what they are prepared to do to get there?
To me - if you have talent to compete at an elite level - that is why you are there and why you should be there. To get there - you had to enjoy it at some point and for some time.

To struggle to doubt is normal. Overcoming the mental downers is a normal part of achieving elite performance.

Whatever you face in one pursuit will not be any different anywhere else. Finding and retaining your Mojo is no different than maintaining your skill and fitness.

I don't know the relative standards of VFL:VFA football in the '50s but in the '70s and '80s, watching it on TV on Sundays, there was a clear drop in standard from VFL. VFA players just couldn't do what VFL players did and the pace of the games was noticeably slower.

I read that Peter Box coached Camberwell. That might explain why a Brownlow Medallist Premiership Centre Half Forward didn't continue with another VFL club if he was disenchanted with Footscray,

The VFA / VFL comparison is pretty pointless. The VFA was not meant to be a competitor of the VFL based on the standard of footy, it was providing an alternative, a more localised and different type of footy (e.g.played on Sundays, 16 men-a-side). Some enjoyed aspects of it more, others like me enjoyed both VFL / VFA and enjoyed the differences, particularly the rivalries. Still miss it.

That's actually true - Kosi in an interview post-retirement mentioned that he hadn't enjoyed playing a game of football since about age 20.

An ex-Melbourne player (managed a respectable 60 games or so in his career) said playing at the top level is not enjoyable and he loves football again - and life - since returning to suburban football.
I don’t blame them, especially with things like Instagram and twitter so prevalent. They can’t even have a beer without people getting a photo and making it seem like they’re doing something wrong. I’ve been told by a former ESS player that he couldn’t even go to KFC without people staring at him like he’s doing something wrong.

There’s a lot of benefits, but if you don’t love footy and “the grind” then it’s a pretty strenuous gig.

It’s a lot different to even ten years ago, you’re gonna have to be close to a robot soon enough.

As someone who loves footy it’s hard to get your head around at first.

I don’t blame them, especially with things like Instagram and twitter so prevalent....
...not to mention the game itself, the discipline of zone defence, other players barking at you where to stand, the constant tackling, packs and diving on the ball and being dragged to the ground, arms pinned, every time you grab the ball. Where's the exhilarating run out of defence, the bounces, big drop kicks, curving the torp for angle shots at goal, flying for marks, one-on-ones for everyone but the centremen and rovers, stab passes to the fast leading decoy full forwards, having a ping on the run, ruckmen jumping at boundary throw ins, the joy of judging the time and space of the ball in flight ? I don't think I'd enjoy playing AFL footy either.

...not to mention the game itself, the discipline of zone defence, other players barking at you where to stand, the constant tackling, packs and diving on the ball and being dragged to the ground, arms pinned, every time you grab the ball.

Sounds like you watch a lot of footy at the SCG. Know how you feel.

Sounds like you watch a lot of footy at the SCG. Know how you feel.

I haven't been to the SCG for 30 years. It's when you imagine yourself, mid game, being out there, particularly at stoppages. It may not bother Libba, Morris, M Boyd, Smith too much but surely it's not love of the game or playing that keeps Johannisson, Stringer, McRae, Wood, Murphy, Bont, Hunter, McLean, perhaps Wallis motivated.

I haven't been to the SCG for 30 years. It's when you imagine yourself, mid game, being out there, particularly at stoppages. It may not bother Libba, Morris, M Boyd, Smith too much but surely it's not love of the game or playing that keeps Johannisson, Stringer, McRae, Wood, Murphy, Bont, Hunter, McLean, perhaps Wallis motivated.

I wouldn't believe that to be too true. All the negitive stuff you mentioned in previous posts are actually the great things about playing the game.
It's changed over the years but it's still the greatest game to play. I only just finished playing after 20 years and I still miss the smell of the rooms after a game, the sore body you wake up to on a Sunday morn, the sprays you cop from the coach and the hard, tough battles you'd have with oppo teams and players. That was the case with all bar a few of the blokes I played with too.
I couldn't disagree more on the majority of players only playing for the money and not the love of the game. I'd say it's the opposite, there's players that dislike the game their whole careers, including at lower levels, but they'd be the lower percentage.

Of the players you mentioned above I couldn't see any them not loving the game. That includes that bloke who's gone to the Bombers...I can't remember his name ;)

I dare say what keeps most players motivated is not letting their teammates down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't believe that to be too true. All the negitive stuff you mentioned in previous posts are actually the great things about playing the game.
It's changed over the years but it's still the greatest game to play. I only just finished playing after 20 years and I still miss the smell of the rooms after a game, the sore body you wake up to on a Sunday morn, the sprays you cop from the coach and the hard, tough battles you'd have with oppo teams and players. That was the case with all bar a few of the blokes I played with too.
I couldn't disagree more on the majority of players only playing for the money and not the love of the game. I'd say it's the opposite, there's players that dislike the game their whole careers, including at lower levels, but they'd be the lower percentage.

Of the players you mentioned above I couldn't see any them not loving the game. That includes that bloke who's gone to the Bombers...I can't remember his name ;)
Agree completely.

So bored....watching cricket but not the same as seeing the usual suspects on this Board go from smart speculation or even borderline insight one minute to 5 years old insults in the playground the next - so many differences with one thing in common - we love the doggies.

So this has been done before but I am speculating what our team will look like in 5 years.

FF - Dalhaus Boyd Greene

HF - Lipinski Schache Adams

RR - English Bonti Libba
C - Dale Macrae Hunter

HB - Naughton Young Richards

FB - JJ, Collins Cordy

Int - Wallis, McLean, Smith, Dunkley

I reckon we are in a good position if this team is at our disposal with 5 years to develop them.

?? I am happy with these in the team

Daniel - the team always seems better with him in it especially later in quarters - so while one on one I think Smith offers more - for the team this may not be the best. Mighty’s decision making is elite and in 5 years he will nugget up like Boomer and be a pit bull and team favorite. Boomer had Speed and skills - Daniel has Smarts and endurance

Williams - Definitely good enough and could go into his original midfield- his size and kick could seem him as a star - if Dunkley doesn’t continue to improve (as he has) this door might open

Webb - he should take the spot on the HB line after Shiggsy but before Richards but has not yet clicked and will need to show something soon

LJ - he tries and is reasonable but needs a stable position as a flanker forward or back. Could Pip Lipinski but there is just something slick about Lippy that I am betting will come through

So bored....watching cricket but not the same as seeing the usual suspects on this Board go from smart speculation or even borderline insight one minute to 5 years old insults in the playground the next - so many differences with one thing in common - we love the doggies.

So this has been done before but I am speculating what our team will look like in 5 years.

FF - Dalhaus Boyd Greene

RR - English Bonti Libba
C - Dale Macrae Hunter

FB - JJ, Collins Cordy

I reckon we are in a good position if this team is at our disposal with 5 years to develop them.

Daniel - the team always seems better with him in it especially later in quarters - so while one on one I think Smith offers more - for the team this may not be the best. Mighty’s decision making is elite and in 5 years he will nugget up like Boomer and be a pit bull and team favorite. Boomer had Speed and skills - Daniel has Smarts and endurance

Williams - Definitely good enough and could go into his original midfield- his size and kick could seem him as a star - if Dunkley doesn’t continue to improve (as he has) this door might open

Webb - he should take the spot on the HB line after Shiggsy but before Richards but has not yet clicked and will need to show something soon

LJ - he tries and is reasonable but needs a stable position as a flanker forward or back. Could Pip Lipinski but there is just something slick about Lippy that I am betting will come through

Just a moment of :eek: when I saw Greene there. Fergus, the Good Greene. :thumbsu:

aflpbwb17-greene-fergus.jpg

FF - Dalhaus Boyd Greene

RR - English Bonti Libba
C - Dale Macrae Hunter

FB - JJ, Collins Cordy

You probably need to take out 10 to 15 players from that side who in 5 years (2 to 3 per year on average) have either lost form, gone home interstate, traded, have gambling problems or are caught with younger girls while married with 2 kids, moved on and delisted etc and replaced by Buku, Riley West and other draft picks plus players traded in

What we do have is a good solid young side for the future though if we can keep them together

FF - Dalhaus Boyd Greene

RR - English Bonti Libba
C - Dale Macrae Hunter

FB - JJ, Collins Cordy

Trade out Collins for Adams (will be like 29 in 5 years) and Greene for West. Even if its not Adams at full back, I don't see Collins making it.

Last edited:
If a player comes 7th in the BnF in a premiership year at age 20, then follows it up with 5th at age 21, then he'd need a substantial and completely unexpected drop off to find himself anywhere near the edge of the best 22, let alone outside it. The likes of Greene and Collins (in a team with five key defenders) would be doing extremely well if they ever became half as good as Caleb was when he was 20.

Adam Saad.

I would be interested in the thoughts of those who have seen Hayden Crozier play on whether you think he improves our team greatly. I ask because I have been wondering why we recruited him (nothing against him but i think we are well covered with HBFs).

I support the recruitment of Trengove as I see the need for a KPD and think he instantly makes us a better side and meets a real need. So that recruitment I get. With Crozier I think we have any number of HBFs - JJ, Biggs, Williams, Suckling, Webb, Lynch, Smith even Richards now - so I don't get the recruitment unless he is a gun. I would appreciate any comments.

I would be interested in the thoughts of those who have seen Hayden Crozier play on whether you think he improves our team greatly. I ask because I have been wondering why we recruited him (nothing against him but i think we are well covered with HBFs).

I support the recruitment of Trengove as I see the need for a KPD and think he instantly makes us a better side and meets a real need. So that recruitment I get. With Crozier I think we have any number of HBFs - JJ, Biggs, Williams, Suckling, Webb, Lynch, Smith even Richards now - so I don't get the recruitment unless he is a gun. I would appreciate any comments.
I agree. Especially because I always thought he was a forward and it seems we are trying to turn him into a back when we have a surplus a backs and derth of forwards

From the games I have seen he is definitely not best 22. Depth player unless he improves significantly.

From the games I have seen he is definitely not best 22. Depth player unless he improves significantly.

Not sure why we recruited him. I would have chased a small forward, another mid or a ruckman (probably in that order ) as i see those as greater need. Maybe we tried and couldn't land one. Having said that i hope Hayden Crozier goes on to have an excellent career with the Dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back