Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just on 3 AW that we almost got Lobbe for pick 11 but Lobbe was os and he couldn't do a medical otherwise he was coming to us

Just on 3 AW that we almost got Lobbe for pick 11 but Lobbe was os and he couldn't do a medical otherwise he was coming to us
Thank ****.

I'd put all my money on whoever we get at 20 and 21 being better for us than Lobbe would have been.

Last edited:

There are associated benefits (trading reputation etc) to the Boyd deal that are difficult to quantify. My initial comments a few pages back where just of interest, in that the two player types we need now (mobile ruckman, KPD) were both available to us (in Lever and Wright) if we hadn't pursued the Boyd deal. And I just thought it was an interesting discussion point.

I agree that in being aggressive in our pursuit of Boyd was a good thing, as I think it also adds some further self confidence to the club, which seemed to rub off this year. It's another of the intangible benefits that came from the deal.
In JMac's defence, 12 months we were in need of more than just a ruck and defender. Boyd was a statement that enough was enough. It was our line in the sand IMO.

Scoop's mail is usually dogshit, but if he's got it right, I'm glad Lobbe was overseas.

Thanks for the link, interesting 2 other things out of that was that it was Lake who approached Beveridge to play on for another year, which was considered, but decided against in the end, and the Liam Jones was close to being delisted and paid out on the last 2 years of his contract, but was saved by last minute meeting with Bolton.

In JMac's defence, 12 months we were in need of more than just a ruck and defender. Boyd was a statement that enough was enough. It was our line in the sand IMO.

Not criticising anyone for the deal, just commenting. And I agree with the list assessment, although it's interesting how quickly things can turn around.

Thanks for the link, interesting 2 other things out of that was that it was Lake who approached Beveridge to play on for another year, which was considered, but decided against in the end, and the Liam Jones was close to being delisted and paid out on the last 2 years of his contract, but was saved by last minute meeting with Bolton.
Another fool who thinks he can turn him around...

Would the world be a better place for Key Forwards if only they could play
on Aidan Corr every week.
You see what he's getting at, though.

When Boyd is physically developed to the point that he can monster the likes of Talia, Brown, Hooker, Hurley, Frawley, Thompson, Rance & Mackenzie, and he realises it, we're in for the ride of our lives.

The Dees and Stains fans are only salting up the joint because key forward depth was all they had over us, and their midfields will never go toe-to-toe with ours, even sans Libba.

Young Tom will be a sensation, and anybody who disagrees will be dealing with a very smug Honeybadger in 2-3 years.

When Boyd is physically developed to the point that he can monster the likes of Talia, Brown, Hooker, Hurley, Frawley, Thompson, Rance & Mackenzie, and he realises it, we're in for the ride of our lives.

The Dees and Stains fans are only salting up the joint because key forward depth was all they had over us, and their midfields will never go toe-to-toe with ours, even sans Libba.

Young Tom will be a sensation, and anybody who disagrees will be dealing with a very smug Honeybadger in 2-3 years.
Put me down for investing in some future smugness also, please. I'm backing him in for sure.

I said earlier Badger i like Tom Boyd, i just don't like the contract. I think
you can comment on the contract without bagging the man himself. I
hate pedestal contracts as they rarely go hand in hand with team
success, but the football landscape is changing i just refuse to like it.

I said earlier Badger i like Tom Boyd, i just don't like the contract. I think
you can comment on the contract without bagging the man himself. I
hate pedestal contracts as they rarely go hand in hand with team
success, but the football landscape is changing i just refuse to like it.
Of course :) Wasn't having a go at you (I don't miss a chance to air my disdain for the Stains), and I share many of your sentiments, but I firmly believe the contract simply goes hand-in-hand with poaching a contracted prodigy.

I'm glad the club had the balls to stump up that sort of cash and security rather than hesitating and watching Tom waste his career away at GWS or Carlton, while we trip up in another preliminary final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone does realise that if we didn't make the Boyd trade/contract we would be going into this draft with pick 11 without even a half-decent KPF available at that pick? And looking at trying to get a star KPF without any really high picks for the foreseeable future?

This place would be melting down with fear of wasting the next 3-5 years without a KPF, like 08/09.

I know the grass is always greener, but heck me it was only 5 years ago that most of us would have given our first born son for Tom Boyd, let alone an above-market-rate contract.

I think looking back on it it definitely should have been 750 instead of 1mil and even that should have been big for the kid tbh. But agree with your last paragraph wholeheartedly.

We didn't draft him so we had to pay the big bucks to get him here. 750 would not have got the deal done

I know the grass is always greener, but glory be me it was only 5 years ago that most of us would have given our first born son for Tom Boyd, let alone an above-market-rate contract.

We got him cheap by getting in last year. He would have been on bigger money at the end of this year when his 2 year contract ended and multiple clubs started a bidding war

Of course :) Wasn't having a go at you (I don't miss a chance to air my disdain for the Stains), and I share many of your sentiments, but I firmly believe the contract simply goes hand-in-hand with poaching a contracted prodigy.

I'm glad the club had the balls to stump up that sort of cash and security rather than hesitating and watching Tom waste his career away at GWS or Carlton, while we trip up in another preliminary final.

I remember Carlton's list manager David MacKay on SEN just after we got Boyd and when asked about the Boyd deal he didn't try and hide his disappointment at all. They thought they'd have him next year and were totally blindsided

I remember Carlton's list manager David MacKay on SEN just after we got Boyd and when asked about the Boyd deal he didn't try and hide his disappointment at all. They thought they'd have him next year and were totally blindsided

Gotta give it to the Blues they are still following through with that 3 plan they set in 2013...

Finish last in 2016.... Tick
First pick in PSD.... Tick
Get Boyd for nothing in PSD.... Oh No Bulldogs did what!??!

Well we'll show the Dogs how we can operate on the fly.... GWS rejects come this way... We'll also grab Grant in the PSD and have a forward line of Jones, Everitt, Tutt and Grant. Surely 4 ex Bulldog players on the equivalent of Boyd's salary is a better situation to be in... Surely...

Gotta give it to the Blues they are still following through with that 3 plan they set in 2013...

Finish last in 2016.... Tick
First pick in PSD.... Tick
Get Boyd for nothing in PSD.... Oh No Bulldogs did what!??!

Well we'll show the Dogs how we can operate on the fly.... GWS rejects come this way... We'll also grab Grant in the PSD and have a forward line of Jones, Everitt, Tutt and Grant. Surely 4 ex Bulldog players on the equivalent of Boyd's salary is a better situation to be in... Surely...
Liam Jones 7 goals, Jason Tutt 4 goals, Andrejs Everitt 31 goals = 42 goals
Tom Boyd 16 goals = 16 goals
You should have stopped with Jones and Tutt Gghippo, but you had to
get greedy and include Everitt. Everitt had a good year in a wooden
spoon team, it's not like they finished sixth or anything. I would let
you count VFL goals, but a warning Jones tore it apart.;):D

Last edited:
Liam Jones 7 goals, Jason Tutt 4 goals, Andrejs Everitt 31 goals = 42 goals
Tom Boyd 16 goals = 16 goals
You should have stopped with Jones and Tutt Gghippo, but you had to
get greedy and include Everitt. Everitt had a good year in a wooden
spoon team, it's not like they finished sixth or anything. I would let
you count VFL goals, but a warning Jones tore it apart.;):D
Have no fear L Jizz only kicked 13 for the year in the VFL [tho there was one match he kicked 6]

I don't think people realize what we were asking Tom Boyd to walk into. We were asking him to forsake other clubs in favour of a club who just were 5th last, just had their captain (and a bunch of other players) walk out and didn't have a coach. The contract had to be enticing because we were a worse prospect than the Blues at that point (just let that sink in).

I don't think people realize what we were asking Tom Boyd to walk into. We were asking him to forsake other clubs in favour of a club who just were 5th last, just had their captain (and a bunch of other players) walk out and didn't have a coach. The contract had to be enticing because we were a worse prospect than the Blues at that point (just let that sink in).
Maybe immortalmike deep down knew he was going to struggle to be
in a GWS star studded forward line ahead of Patton, Cameron and
McCarthy and bailed out at the first opportunity once he knew the
great and all powerful Liam Jones wanted out.;)

Stop it i am having too much fun.:D

Bang on. People talk as if we were in a position to negotiate. We were trying to land a blow and poach a player, we needed a yes and we utilised one of the most unique salary positions a teams had in years.

What shits me to tears about all this talk is no one floats the alternatives.

Bending over and receiving picks for Griff like some submissive dog club was NOT an option and the fan base would've found that off season extremely hard to swallow.

It also ignores that we were throwing around money at bog average / old players before the event anyway, it's not like we weren't exploring the ways we could put our money to good use. Damn us for grabbing one of the highest perceived prospects in the land! Even one that we'd researched and liked for years!

All this and we had no trouble convincing Lobbe to come over, suckling to come over, signing up our future stars to get out of the woods for the Boyd window.

And better yet in the last twelve months we've had a star emerge that'll make boyds role an easier one!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back