Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROK no, great player in his day but is 34 next season.
Gwilt maybe as a rebounder, PSD only.
McKernan yes, PSD or rookie draft only

Should be able to pick these guys up as delisted free agents if we want them.

Doubt we'd be keen on any of these players. Perhaps we'd think of giving McKernan a shot to see if he can have a Stefan Martin like turnaround.

I think Murph and Boyd probably only have 1 more year in them. Maybe Morris too. If Murph keeps the drive to play maybe 2 more. But he's a smart cookie, if his passion wanes he'll step aside for the younger gen, plus he's pretty well assured of big career in the media afterwards.Cooney will hopefully have a couple more if we can manage his body.

I'm hoping Murph becomes our next 300 gamer but he needs to go on til 2016 to make that happen, if we somehow develop top line breaking rebounders next year then he might step aside but currently no one is at his level down there, hopefully Johanissen can be more of an accumulator.
I actually wonder where Murph will go in the media, he's really quirky in his own way with his writing, dunno if he'll just be a Journo or if he'll go onto talkback radio, can't really see him being a commentator though.

I am pretty divided on the whole Wil Minson trade. I love his attack on the ball and his aggression. I get frustrated with some of the lack of discipline he shows and the number of free kicks he gives away. He is also dreadful when it comes to covering the opposition ruckman when he drifts into their forward line. The latter is why he and McCartney come to blows...there is the expectation that he plays his role for the team and doesn't allow others to pick up the slack.

His loss of form from last year suggests there may be a personality clash.

If Ryder heads to Brisbane, they'll put Luenberger on the trade table.

I wonder about the future of Cordy. Will 2015 be make or break for him? Seems to have put on some bulk and improved his tap work, but isn't a KPP. Campbell is a potential KPP but is too slow and his tap work isn't as good.

Perhaps I might start agreeing with Wayne Carey's thoughts on ruckmen?

For Cameron, I would offer $10m over 10 years in a heartbeat. Got the runs on the board, 60 plus goals in a bottom side with obvious brilliance. Best young player by a mile.

After 7 or so years $1m a year would be massive unders. Dogs need to really think outside of the square and go in hard with big dollars if they expect to attrach anyone good. It would be like th Brisbane Alister Lynch deal, massive unders by the end of his contract.

I'd prefer Cameron over Carlisle

I keep hearing that Carlisle still considers himself a backman and would rather be down there. Still, a great CHB.

Cameron vs Shaw in my mind. One is a great lead up forward with good hands, the other takes a great pack mark and just as good by foot. Lets face it...there are some days our ball movement is so slow we don't leave any room for a forward to lead and any FF is going to have to beat at least two players who have dropped back.

I am pretty divided on the whole Wil Minson trade. I love his attack on the ball and his aggression. I get frustrated with some of the lack of discipline he shows and the number of free kicks he gives away. He is also dreadful when it comes to covering the opposition ruckman when he drifts into their forward line. The latter is why he and McCartney come to blows...there is the expectation that he plays his role for the team and doesn't allow others to pick up the slack.

His loss of form from last year suggests there may be a personality clash.

If Ryder heads to Brisbane, they'll put Luenberger on the trade table.

I wonder about the future of Cordy. Will 2015 be make or break for him? Seems to have put on some bulk and improved his tap work, but isn't a KPP. Campbell is a potential KPP but is too slow and his tap work isn't as good.

Perhaps I might start agreeing with Wayne Carey's thoughts on ruckmen?

3AW were saying last night that Will "stormed" out of his coaches meeting.

To be honest, for a player of his calibre, finishing in the mid teens in your teams B and F is not good enough and the same goes for Higgins.

If they don't like being told to perform to a higher standard, then look elsewhere. Can't accept mediocrity forever.

Regarding the Minson thing he has had to slog the whole season out basically by himself with little to no backup, he is an AA standard ruckman, yeah he does the odd stupid thing and is a little undisciplined but I'm not too keen on letting him go

I asked the GC trade discussion what's Matt Shaw worth, seems to be a perennial sub player, i'd have thought something like a mid 2nd/early 3rd. We need rebounders after KPPs, I'd be interested in him, 1 of Hawthorns lot in Suckling/Duryea (Birchall would be untouchable), Aaron Mullet, Cam O'Shea etc

I was just looking back at Geelong's trading and list management history:

In 1999 Leigh Colbert and #53 was traded to Nth for Cam Mooney, #15, #17 and #47 (Enright). I see this trade similar to our 2012 Lake trade.

They pretty much went to the draft every year after this until 2004, when it became obvious they needed a tall (ruck/fwd) and acquired Brad Ottens in 2004 for picks #12 and #16. They had to trade Moloney for pick #12. They finished 4th in 2004 and have played finals every year since (expect 2006).

BMac has only just completed his 3rd year. Maybe the KPP doesn't need to be landed this trade season. Just putting it out there...

In 1999 Leigh Colbert and #53 was traded to Nth for Cam Mooney, #15, #17 and #47 (Enright). I see this trade similar to our 2012 Lake trade.

They pretty much went to the draft every year after this until 2004, when it became obvious they needed a tall (ruck/fwd) and acquired Brad Ottens in 2004 for picks #12 and #16. They had to trade Moloney for pick #12. They finished 4th in 2004 and have played finals every year since (expect 2006).

BMac has only just completed his 3rd year. Maybe the KPP doesn't need to be landed this trade season. Just putting it out there...

Remember the last round of the season against GWS.

Remember a bloke called James Stewart, 195cm forward that kicked 3 goals against us.

He was pick 27 in the 2012 draft. The same draft pick we sent to Hawthorn with Lake who then traded pick 27 to GWS.

So really it's Lake and James Stewart for Hrovat and Stevens.

Rumour that Taylor Hunt is looking away from the Cat. I've rated him in the past but I don't know what's gone wrong there. I think of him as a half back flanker but that might not be the case. I'd consider if he was a half back flanker only.

And another one I'd ask questions about is Shoenmakers. Yep, I don't rate him as the number 1 defender either but he's the perfect age, size and position for us. If Morris or Roughead get injured next year we're ****ed. And they will. Morris is old and I just saw Roughead in South Melb in a sling carrying x rays or something. Obviously price permitting and remember:

Shoenmakers will hit his peak at 28-29 years old(23 now!). If he can get 5%-10% better than he'll be good enough to play in our premiership team.

Anyway food for thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a real life example of what I was saying last night, if....................a gun KPF was up for grabs and a quality youngster like Hrovat was a makeweight that had to be used in acquiring the KPF then you'd do it. Geelong got their ruckman they desperately needed and he was a key cog in their era of dominance by trading a quality kid at the time in Moloney, we have been saying for years that we need a KPF, we have had a pathetic record of developing KPFs since Chris Grant's time.

We were blessed back in the 50s, 70s and 80s with quality talls but we didn't hold onto them all the time etc Templeton, Round, Quinlan and even Dempsey left and most of the 1954 side were lured away to wealthy rural leagues or interstate not to long after the premiership.

By the way, what the hell was Norf thinking 15 years ago? Massive overs :D

Rumour that Taylor Hunt is looking away from the Cat. I've rated him in the past but I don't know what's gone wrong there. I think of him as a half back flanker but that might not be the case. I'd consider if he was a half back flanker only.

And another one I'd ask questions about is Shoenmakers. Yep, I don't rate him as the number 1 defender either but he's the perfect age, size and position for us. If Morris or Roughead get injured next year we're ******. And they will. Morris is old and I just saw Roughead in South Melb in a sling carrying x rays or something. Obviously price permitting and remember:

Shoenmakers will hit his peak at 28-29 years old(23 now!). If he can get 5%-10% better than he'll be good enough to play in our premiership team.

Anyway food for thought.

I'd be happy with RS as long as he took the 2nd defender and we got a Jaksch/Reid in to play forward.

I can confirm that there is truth to this rumour. It will be a little more than the Patton deal we were preparing. Worse case, he stays at Essendon on Big bucks and puts pressure on their cap.
Reliable source?
Wasn't Patton offer about 900k a year?
more than that? I reckon he be worth more than that offer, but to see the dogs pay that much would be a first.
If we could pay big bucks and get Carlisle through the clause where we don't have to trade for him, as he becomes a free agent, and then trade for Jaksch somehow. The next thing will be "who plays where"? lol. Jaksch and Carlisle will have a chat to each other about which position they prefer. Or maybe they Jacksh might be getting beaten by his man in the game, and Carlisle goes up to him and goes "alright my turn, let me have him".
It would be a nice problem to have. To have the flexibility for your Key position players to swap positions. And we know Macca loves versatility in his team. Would cause nightmare matchup problems.

And another one I'd ask questions about is Shoenmakers. Yep, I don't rate him as the number 1 defender either but he's the perfect age, size and position for us. If Morris or Roughead get injured next year we're ******. And they will. Morris is old and I just saw Roughead in South Melb in a sling carrying x rays or something. Obviously price permitting and remember:

Anyway food for thought.
Like the Hunt thought process, and he has $#@% in him, don't be surprised if already being mooted, Cats looking for leg speed will be looking at Tutt, and Wood as a replacement for Mackie, Kelly etc. Leave me out of" looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" Shoenmakers Fletcher Roberts already has him covered, and in time we'll be comparing him with Lake

Reliable source?
Wasn't Patton offer about 900k a year?
more than that? I reckon he be worth more than that offer, but to see the dogs pay that much would be a first.
If we could pay big bucks and get Carlisle through the clause where we don't have to trade for him, as he becomes a free agent, and then trade for Jaksch somehow. The next thing will be "who plays where"? lol. Jaksch and Carlisle will have a chat to each other about which position they prefer. Or maybe they Jacksh might be getting beaten by his man in the game, and Carlisle goes up to him and goes "alright my turn, let me have him".
It would be a nice problem to have. To have the flexibility for your Key position players to swap positions. And we know Macca loves versatility in his team. Would cause nightmare matchup problems.
I don't want to say too much of where I get my information from. All I can say that it is legit and Macca is feeling a little pressure during this trade period as he needs results next season. I actually said they we were making a big play for Cameron or Patton in a deal that would be our highest ever player 2 months before it came out through the media (Patton). The Carlisle situation is complexed, however we are willing to part with pick 5 and a player (Higgins or Jones).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back