Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's put this shit in perspective shall we people?

If we were lower down the ladder we would have got NOTHING for the players weve traded, as the players at the bottom end of our list would have been delisted and unwanted.

To lay it out simply, with the exception of Hamling, they are uncontracted and we didnt want to give them another contract. That fact alone makes them have no value whatso-*******-ever. This is despite the fact that they can play football. That's true, but our list is really, really good and they are surplus to our requirements.

Hamling is the only meaningful loss.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Well stated, you have to consider our bargaining position when assessing trade period performance.

Just look at other clubs.
Jarryd Lyons got a pick 43 in same situation. He was out of contract.
Id argue Stevens and Hvorat are just as good as him.

Nothing wrong with the deal for hamling.
But gee the deals for Hvorat and Stevens were very light on - just 2 pick upgrades for Hvorat and 1 Upgrade 1 Downgrade for Stevens
I think it made a difference that they were dealing with Gold Coast. If Hrovat had picked Gold Coast as his destination club then I think we would have got a better deal. They had an abundance of picks and were desperate for some established players which gave Adelaide a better bargaining position. Much harder dealing with fellow Melbourne clubs.

I think it made a difference that they were dealing with Gold Coast. If Hrovat had picked Gold Coast as his destination club then I think we would have got a better deal. They had an abundance of picks and were desperate for some established players which gave Adelaide a better bargaining position. Much harder dealing with fellow Melbourne clubs.

Exactly. If Hrovat was happy to go to GC rather than us take him, I'd imagine the Dogs would have squeezed a late 2nd, early 3rd. Same with Stevens.

Once an un-contracted player nominates a single club with limited trade assets, you're snookered.

I still would like us to move Prudden to the Rookie list and sign either Litherfield or O'Shea as a delisted free agent. They might not be great but then either was Hammers when we signed him as a delisted free agent. You would think Litherfield would easily adapt to our defensive structure. Gives us a bit more depth in a needs area. We can cover a setback to Prudden much easier than say if Adams and Roberts are injured in 2017

Oh dear, in this day and age of clickbait and dumbed right down 'journalism' designed for mouth breathers, the Hun love picking 'winners' and 'losers'. Apparently, the Lions, Crows and us are losers.

Three things:

1. We traded out three VFL players. One happened to snag a flag, but he was a predominately VFL player. Stevens and Hrovat - meh. Good on them.

2. We got a proven goal kicker and added EVEN MORE options to our forward line. Remember Kingy's premiership quadrant? 'The Dogs just don't kick enough goals'.

3. We won the f***ing flag. We don't need to get involved in the media circle jerk that is 'winning and losing' this period by trading in average, chronically injured and hack players.

We could 'win' the next 30 trade periods, but without a flag it means squat. So, well done Tigers, Dees and Saints, we'll cry ourselves to sleep watching our premiership win.

What's that? You don't have a flag? That's sad.

Last edited:
Oh dear, in this day and age of click bait and dumbed right down 'journalism' designed for mouth breathers, the Hun love picking 'winners' and 'losers'. Apparently, the Lions, Crows and us are losers.

Three things:

1. We traded out three VFL players. One happened to snag a flag, but he was a predominately VFL player. Stevens and Hrovat - meh. Good on them.

2. We got a proven goal kicker and added EVEN MORE options to our forward line. Remember Kingy's premiership quadrant? 'The Dogs just don't kick enough goals'.

3. We won the f***ing flag. We don't need to get involved in the media circle jerk that is 'winning and losing' this period by trading in average, chronically injured and hack players.

We could 'win' the next 30 trade periods, but without a flag it means squat. So, well done Tigers, Dees and Saints, we'll cry ourselves to sleep watching our premiership win.

What's that? You don't have a flag? That's sad.
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much. If you've read Bigfooty and the media around this time for the past 8 or so seasons, Melbourne have somehow won every single trade and draft period yet somehow haven't made the 8 in that time. Shuffling depth players never amounts to much either way.

Biggs now can be considered a win for sure. We got him for a two pick downgrade on a second rounder. Definite win in hindsight.
But he only played 6 games over 2 years at Swans. He was off the rookie list. He hardly had massive trade value. No doubt he has blossomed, but when he was picked up I remember many bagging him and club.
Remember we were on our knees then. Who really expected him to be as handy as he is?
I reckon Koby to St Kilda for 50 is ok, it's the shuffling of other picks that ruins it for me. Hrovat to Nth , I see that as trading player for an overall loss. The picks again are confusing, we are banking that Nth bottoms right out.
Maybe those picks are there for a crack at a gun next year, I don't know.

We need to make sure we play a home final against them this year. It was a stroke of luck that cement head got knocked out, and SJ didn't play, and that was the difference in the end.

However we were so determined to win that final we would have found a way I think. Also that game showed a crack in GWS, they can't clinch the close ones, whereas with the exception of Hawthorn, we have every time.
I think GWS would want to secure a home final against us next year. GWS were lucky to get as close as they did with Crameri, Murphy, Adams, Wallis and Suckling all missing.

And who were GWS missing? Stevie J? Pretty sure they had their best best team named that day bar SJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggs now can be considered a win for sure. We got him for a two pick downgrade on a second rounder. Definite win in hindsight.
But he only played 6 games over 2 years at Swans. He was off the rookie list. He hardly had massive trade value.
Why are you applying this logic to Biggs and not Hrovat/Stevens? We didn't even offer them a contract, they had zero value. You're way overrating their worth.

Don't be surprised to see O'Shea at the Dogs next year, has struggled for motivation in the sinking Port ship this year. From what I'm hearing it is only a matter of if we want him and have the list spots available obviusly. Loves our zone defence.
There were rumours of a late three-way trade that would get him to the Dogs so I wouldn't be surprised either. Prudden would have to go to the rookie list though.

Don't be surprised to see O'Shea at the Dogs next year, has struggled for motivation in the sinking Port ship this year. From what I'm hearing it is only a matter of if we want him and have the list spots available obviusly. Loves our zone defence.
We'd have to take him in the ND is we wanted him, only three spots to fill.
I wouldn't be upset if we took him with our last pick, and went best available with our first two.

Who to replace, Hunter or Johannisen ? Reckon Bont and Toyd should
worry about their own games and leave the list to the appropriate
people. ( Not Peter Gordon )
Josh can play at almost every spot, perks of GWS early development a lot of kids moved spots so he wouldn't be out of place.
He would replace Murphy off half back

AFL is slowly becoming the NBA with friends talking about joining teams etc

I think Prudden might have to go on as a rookie. It's harsh, but we need to strike while the iron is hot and if we see a DFA that Bevo likes or if we want Long, then we go for it.

There were rumours of a late three-way trade that would get him to the Dogs so I wouldn't be surprised either. Prudden would have to go to the rookie list though.
I don't think anyone would have any qualms with Prudden on the rookie list. We are only keeping him around because we want to do the right thing by him. This is the Daniel Pierce move all over again.

We need to make sure we play a home final against them this year. It was a stroke of luck that cement head got knocked out, and SJ didn't play, and that was the difference in the end.

However we were so determined to win that final we would have found a way I think. Also that game showed a crack in GWS, they can't clinch the close ones, whereas with the exception of Hawthorn, we have every time.
Let's not forget that we were without some pretty handy players as well, all of whom will be available in 2017. Our "ins" will be better than theirs in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back