Strategy Trade and List .Management thread 5 (...the post coitus cigarette. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Position Players- 14 Players
#12 Zaine Cordy
#13 Travis Cloke
#15 Tom Campbell
#17 Tom Boyd
#18 Fletcher Roberts
#23 Jordan Roughead
#25 Marcus Adams
#32 Kieran Collins
#33 Lewis Young
#38 Dale Morris
#40 Nathan Mullenger-McHugh
#43 Jack Redpath
#44 Tim English
#?? Jackson Trengove
Backs- 7 Players
#1 Matthew Suckling
#10 Easton Wood
#24 Shane Biggs
#34 Bailey Williams
#36 Brad Lynch
#37 Roarke Smith
#39 Jason Johannisen
Midfielders/Forwards- 20 players
#3 Mitch Wallis
#4 Marcus Bontempelli
#6 Luke Dahlhaus
#7 Lachie Hunter
#8 Stewart Crameri
#9 Jake Stringer
#11 Jack Macrae
#14 Clay Smith
#16 Toby McLean
#19 Lukas Webb
#20 Josh Dunkley
#21 Tom Liberatore
#22 Mitch Honeychurch
#27 Patrick Lipinski
#29 Tory Dickson
#30 Fergus Greene
#31 Bailey Dale
#35 Caleb Daniel
#42 Liam Picken
#46 Lin Jong

Think that shows our most glaring need might be a few small defenders
Yeah I'm a bit surprised at how well-stocked a lot of peole appear to think we are here? I prefer Suckling elsewhere, Williams is not yet established, who knows with Lynch/Smith, and a lot of people still want to move Johannisen forward? I don't think it's a desperate need but I certainly don't think we're deep enough there.

McCartney on Impey: We like him as a player, but him being in contract means there's a lot to play out still
#NABTradeRadio
McCartney: There is interest in getting Hayden Crozier across to us. He's a player rated highly by our recruiting team #NABTradeRadio

McCartney on Stringer: It's all about getting the right deal. That's the key. We know his talent. We're not giving him away
#NABTradeRadio
Cooney: Would it take a first rounder for you to trade Stringer

McCartney: That's fair to say. And not a late first-rounder either
In other words "Up yours, Adam". :D

Yeah I'm a bit surprised at how well-stocked a lot of peole appear to think we are here? I prefer Suckling elsewhere, Williams is not yet established, who knows with Lynch/Smith, and a lot of people still want to move Johannisen forward? I don't think it's a desperate need but I certainly don't think we're deep enough there.

I like Webb there. Hope they can develop him for the M Boyd role this pre season. His leg on the kick ins would be awesome. Good overhead. Has learnt contested footy. More time to kick in the backline. Has all the tools to be a very good HBF like Gilbee.... if he can defend.

Yeah I'm a bit at how well-stocked a lot of peole appear to think we are here? I prefer Suckling elsewhere, Williams is not yet established, who knows with Lynch/Smith, and a lot of people still want to move Johannisen forward? I don't think it's a desperate need but I certai don't think we're deep enough there.
To be fair that is interesting analysis.
I figure Jong, Picken Dale Webb, Dunkley could all play back. I reckon Dunkley may become a defender, his size now is good. His disposal not good enough for mid or forward really. I know Picken and Jong are better suited elsewhere but they can pinch back for sure. Dale looks like a perfect alternative for a hbf/wing role. If we get Impey he could be used off half back where his pace will be awesome.
Most half backs are blokes that have developed in the role, they aren’t generally recruited for that role.

I like Webb there. Hope they can develop him for the M Boyd role this pre season. His leg on the kick ins would be awesome. Good overhead. Has learnt contested footy. More time to kick in the backline. Has all the tools to be a very good HBF like Gilbee.... if he can defend.
Gilbee wasn’t a super defender though was he? My thoughts were he was an elite kick but poor defensively. A bit like Suckers you just wanted him to get the ball in his hands. More consistent kick than Suckers but not as freakish with it. Is that fair you think BWRB ?

To be fair that is interesting analysis.
I figure Jong, Picken Dale Webb, Dunkley could all play back. I reckon Dunkley may become a defender, his size now is good. His disposal not good enough for mid or forward really. I know Picken and Jong are better suited elsewhere but they can pinch back for sure. Dale looks like a perfect alternative for a hbf/wing role. If we get Impey he could be used off half back where his pace will be awesome.
Most half backs are blokes that have developed in the role, they aren’t generally recruited for that role.
Jong and Dunkley scare the hell out of me down back, they just turn the ball over far too easily. I've said enough on Webb on here so suffice to say I don't think he's a defender. Dale and Picken are best 22 in other roles - if a defender goes down with injury I'd rather just bring in a defender than pull players out of other positions and then have to replace them.

As I said, I don't think it's a desperate need - there are guys who could play there in a pinch. I definitely think we need to add depth in that area though.

Trade radio just said again that they think Impey has nominated hawthorn
They say a lot. :p
Jong and Dunkley scare the hell out of me down back, they just turn the ball over far too easily. I've said enough on Webb on here so suffice to say I don't think he's a defender. Dale and Picken are best 22 in other roles - if a defender goes down with injury I'd rather just bring in a defender than pull players out of other positions and then have to replace them.

As I said, I don't think it's a desperate need - there are guys who could play there in a pinch. I definitely think we need to add depth in that area though.

Hunter?

Gilbee wasn’t a super defender though was he? My thoughts were he was an elite kick but poor defensively. A bit like Suckers you just wanted him to get the ball in his hands. More consistent kick than Suckers but not as freakish with it. Is that fair you think BWRB ?

Gilbee was a gun mid at VFL level - like Webb. Overhead Gilbee was a good defender - I think he was competent defensively otherwise. Did he make AA as a defender? Rare that defensive spuds are AA.

Gilbee was a far better defender than Suckling who IMO is poor aerially and on the ground in the backline.

Webb is a more consistent kick and I reckon he has just as good vision and execution as Suckling. Not sure on Webbs speed - might be even slower than Suckling. And may be even poorer than Suckling defensively at present.

Would like to see Webb tried there. IMO he has the tools and there is opportunity down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gilbee was a brilliant defender - we'd back him against opposition resting rucks and he was still rarely beaten.
His defensive work often overshadowed by his rebound ability.

Gilbee Shaggy and The Bald Eagle going long down the line or sprinting down the boundary. I miss the wings. If you sit by the wing some days you rarely see the ball now

Gilbee was actually a very good defender, he used to frequently play well above his size on KPFs while offering us great rebound. He was a genuine weapon for us.

He played a lot on the resting ruckman right? Memory isn't great but I'm pretty sure that he'd run off of them all the damn time.

I do wonder whether Roberts might make sense as a cheapie for Collingwood, Geelong or freo.
He'd be a classic "goodwill" trade if he wanted to go elsewhere. We'd facilitate him I'm sure.
Trengove clearly our no 1 defender for the gorillas now and all his off-field reports of character are glowing.

Gilbee Shaggy and The Bald Eagle going long down the line or sprinting down the boundary. I miss the wings. If you sit by the wing some days you rarely see the ball now
On the rare occasion I go to games they always seem to play mostly on the far side of the ground :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back