Strategy Trade and List .Management thread 5 (...the post coitus cigarette. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone tell me how Stringers value drops.
Does that mean you don't use a first rounder on a axe murderer but a fourth rounder is ok ?
Just can't get my head around the crap that these dills are going on about.
Remember Bev said " clubs need to respect Jakes ability" or he stays.
I am taking him at his word , and that means for me a low first rounder.
Agree after hearing the allegations a club has two choices to still pursue Jake or not to. If they decide to still purse then you take out of the equation the off field stuff and it back to being mid first round pick.

Does that mean you don't use a first rounder on a axe murderer but a fourth rounder is ok ?

I can't work out why Jakes infidelity is an issue for us but not for other teams??

Honestly sick of people wanting every player to be choir boys.

I'd rather a team full of Martins Stringers Swans and Fevs to spuds like Jong who are quality humans but simply rubbish footballers but hey let's play the choirboys and see how hot making the 8 again next year sits with fans.

The lemmings have jumped all over Jake and blamed him for this years debacle but we are miles off on a lot of aspects and imo won't make the 8 agin next year

Can't be true.

Even if you include Motlop/Lang etc - who are they getting in ?

Stringer, Ablett, Smith and then what ? 7 kids in a weak draft ???

They would be ridiculously top heavy, any injuries and you are playing a bunch of 17/18 year olds....

Geelong have some pretty crappy players on their list, I don't think they will win a premiership by just holding on to them and trading for a couple others. They need to hit the draft reasonably hard as well IMO. This year's draft isn't horrible by the way, I rate the depth as better then last year's myself and you can always find a few good ones tucked away in any draft.

Hawthorn for instance delisted 13 players at the end of 2010. They drafted 9 players in a Gold Coast compromised draft and were 3 points off making the grand final in 2011. The year after that, they drafted 7 in a GWS compromised draft and then made it to a grand final. Then of course after that, they won 3 grand finals. Worked out alright for them.

Geelong have some pretty crappy players on their list, I don't think they will win a premiership by just holding on to them and trading for a couple others. They need to hit the draft reasonably hard as well IMO. This year's draft isn't horrible by the way, I rate the depth as better then last year's myself and you can always find a few good ones tucked away in any draft.

Hawthorn for instance delisted 13 players at the end of 2010. They drafted 9 players in a Gold Coast compromised draft and were 3 points off making the grand final in 2011. The year after that, they drafted 7 in a GWS compromised draft and then made it to a grand final. Then of course after that, they won 3 grand finals. Worked out alright for them.

Fair comments, I just feel the last thing they need when their depth is poor is to further expose the gulf between top 6/8 and the rest.

For example, T Campbell - you aren't likely to find a kid who could step up and compete if needed. He is no superstar, but he is better than an 18 year old in the same circumstances. Yes, by all means grab English - but don't go all Josh Fraser on him by discarding a backup that is currently better suited physically.

Any injuries under their plan and they are screwed. And as we showed, you can overcome injuries with more even contributions.

I can't work out why Jakes infidelity is an issue for us but not for other teams??

Honestly sick of people wanting every player to be choir boys.

I'd rather a team full of Martins Stringers Swans and Fevs to spuds like Jong who are quality humans but simply rubbish footballers but hey let's play the choirboys and see how hot making the 8 again next year sits with fans.

The lemmings have jumped all over Jake and blamed him for this years debacle but we are miles off on a lot of aspects and imo won't make the 8 agin next year
It depends whether his infedility is negatively affecting the group as a whole. There's reports of how numerous players reacted when they heard the news which could still have profound lasting effects.

Keep in mind it's probably not the reason we've turfed him. We're all aware of the other issues surrounding Jake and the club may have come to a decision that it's no longer benefiting the club to have these multitude of issues a part of the team.

I'm absolutely positive the club has explored every avenue over the past couple of years to rectify these problems and come out the other side better for it. Unfortunately, it seems to have no happened.

The club would not have made this decision lightly or hastily. They would be aware of public backlash that it may bring.

The reality is that you, me and most likely everyone on this board don't know the full story. We only hear little tidbits and quite frankly have no clue what's actually going on behind the scenes.

It depends whether his infedility is negatively affecting the group as a whole. There's reports of how numerous players reacted when they heard the news which could still have profound lasting effects.

Keep in mind it's probably not the reason we've turfed him. We're all aware of the other issues surrounding Jake and the club may have come to a decision that it's no longer benefiting the club to have these multitude of issues a part of the team.

I'm absolutely positive the club has explored every avenue over the past couple of years to rectify these problems and come out the other side better for it. Unfortunately, it seems to have no happened.

The club would not have made this decision lightly or hastily. They would be aware of public backlash that it may bring.

The reality is that you, me and most likely everyone on this board don't know the full story. We only hear little tidbits and quite frankly have no clue what's actually going on behind the scenes.

This is the issue with the world now.

If Jake was my team mate his life outside footy is none of my business whether I agree with what he does or not. If he does what is required at the club his life outside is none of my business. Unless he is breaking some law who the hell am I to judge someone else's morals?

Chances are Jake is not the only guy at the club who has cheated or will cheat. Do we kick them out also? Where does it end?

If Jake was my team mate his life outside footy is none of my business whether I agree with what he does or not. If he does what is required at the club his life outside is none of my business. Unless he is breaking some law who the hell am I to judge someone else's morals?

Chances are Jake is not the only guy at the club who has cheated or will cheat. Do we kick them out also? Where does it end?
It's not as simple as that unfortunately. This is clearly not 'just' Jake's issue. There are players within the side that have direct relationships with his ex along with many players who have partners who are very close to her.

It's not as simple as that unfortunately. This is clearly not 'just' Jake's issue. There are players within the side that have direct relationships with his ex along with many players who have partners who are very close to her.

Actually mate I'm sorry but that's wrong.

Abby is a country girl and was hardly ever at the club. She was close with Jj and the closest female friend she had is Cooneys wife.

After the breakup Pickens wife became closer with Abby and they now have a small group of friends that all play footy at Caro.

And sorry mate but are we now list managing based on who the WAGS like or don't like?

SuperFooty Podcast: Scott puts up to 10 Cats on notice as Stringer’s value plummets
Michael Randall, Herald Sun
October 2, 2017 6:07pm
GEELONG has reportedly told up to 10 players to look for new clubs as teams cross controversial Bulldog Jake Stringer off their lists.

Stringer’s ex-partner Abby Gilmore made damning ‘sex, lies and gambling’ allegations in a tell-all Herald Sun interview about the star Dog’s off-field problems.

Herald Sun Chief Football Writer Mark Robinson said the revelations had damaged Stringer’s trade currency, but he believed the talented Dog would find another club.

I spoke to a coach on Friday and he said ‘no, we’re out of Jake Stringer, we’ve done our homework, we’re out’,” Robinson said on the SuperFooty Podcast.

“It decreases his value, there’s no doubt it does, but it’s not going to stop clubs trying to recruit him,” he said.

“Essendon are pretty keen. He’ll go.”

Robbo also revealed a major clean-out could be on the cards at Catland.

“I was told on Saturday night that Chris Scott told up to 10 players in their exit meetings ‘start looking around for a new club’,” Robbo said on the Podcast.

One of those players could be Steven Motlop, with the out-of-favour speedster on the radar of both on the radar of Adelaide or West Coast.

Anthony Hudson said there was no doubt the Geelong coach had told a number of players their time at the club could be up, with the Cats eyeing Gary Ablett’s return.

“Ablett will happen,” Huddo said.

“I think they’re pretty close already ... I was told they’re not that far away.”

Mitch Duncan, Darcy Lang, Rhys Stanley have been mentioned in trade chatter and Lang’s manager Scott Lucas said on AFL Trade Radio Lang was considering his options.

“Right now we are prepared to consider all the options that he has,” Lucas said.

“That includes Gold Coast and there is certainly some interest from Victorian based clubs in him as well.

“We will sit down and have those conversations over the next week or two.”.

“If I was Gold Coast, I would absolutely just knuckle down on this trade, and say ‘no, no, we want a really good player or he’s not going — if you don’t get him, so what, he retires’,” Robbo said.

“This football club has got to stand up at some stage for itself.

“If players keep leaving, everyone will just keep raiding them.

“They should stand up and say ‘No, we want him, we want him or you’re not getting him, Geelong’.”

The futures of Jake Lever, Shane Mumford, Heath Shaw, Steven Motlop, Jack Watts, Bryce Gibbs and Tom Rockliff.

And which ex-Collingwood star is a late bolter for the Suns’ coaching job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no inside knowledge aside from what has been discussed here and reading between the lines but there is no way a sporting club like the Western Bulldogs is kicking him out because of his infidelity. That stuff happens at every club in any code whether amateur or professional. I can only assume it is his application to training/rehab and other vices that appear (from abby's account) to be spiralling out of control. That is the only way I can rationalise Bevo's decision. Unfortunately I don't believe we'll ever find out

I have no inside knowledge aside from what has been discussed here and reading between the lines but there is no way a sporting club like the Western Bulldogs is kicking him out because of his infidelity. That stuff happens at every club in any code whether amateur or professional. I can only assume it is his application to training/rehab and other vices that appear (from abby's account) to be spiralling out of control. That is the only way I can rationalise Bevo's decision. Unfortunately I don't believe we'll ever find out

I'm sure it's not the main reason why but it is definitely part of the reason and that should not be.

Regardless he is going and will bite us on the a$$ bigtime

Plus 50 goals and AA next year where ever he plays.

He hasn't been kicked out for cheating on his wife / girlfriend.

SuperFooty Podcast: Scott puts up to 10 Cats on notice as Stringer’s value plummets
Michael Randall, Herald Sun
October 2, 2017 6:07pm
GEELONG has reportedly told up to 10 players to look for new clubs as teams cross controversial Bulldog Jake Stringer off their lists.

Stringer’s ex-partner Abby Gilmore made damning ‘sex, lies and gambling’ allegations in a tell-all Herald Sun interview about the star Dog’s off-field problems.

Herald Sun Chief Football Writer Mark Robinson said the revelations had damaged Stringer’s trade currency, but he believed the talented Dog would find another club.

I spoke to a coach on Friday and he said ‘no, we’re out of Jake Stringer, we’ve done our homework, we’re out’,” Robinson said on the SuperFooty Podcast.

“It decreases his value, there’s no doubt it does, but it’s not going to stop clubs trying to recruit him,” he said.

“Essendon are pretty keen. He’ll go.”

Robbo also revealed a major clean-out could be on the cards at Catland.

“I was told on Saturday night that Chris Scott told up to 10 players in their exit meetings ‘start looking around for a new club’,” Robbo said on the Podcast.

One of those players could be Steven Motlop, with the out-of-favour speedster on the radar of both on the radar of Adelaide or West Coast.

Anthony Hudson said there was no doubt the Geelong coach had told a number of players their time at the club could be up, with the Cats eyeing Gary Ablett’s return.

“Ablett will happen,” Huddo said.

“I think they’re pretty close already ... I was told they’re not that far away.”

Mitch Duncan, Darcy Lang, Rhys Stanley have been mentioned in trade chatter and Lang’s manager Scott Lucas said on AFL Trade Radio Lang was considering his options.

“Right now we are prepared to consider all the options that he has,” Lucas said.

“That includes Gold Coast and there is certainly some interest from Victorian based clubs in him as well.

“We will sit down and have those conversations over the next week or two.”.

“If I was Gold Coast, I would absolutely just knuckle down on this trade, and say ‘no, no, we want a really good player or he’s not going — if you don’t get him, so what, he retires’,” Robbo said.

“This football club has got to stand up at some stage for itself.

“If players keep leaving, everyone will just keep raiding them.

“They should stand up and say ‘No, we want him, we want him or you’re not getting him, Geelong’.”

The futures of Jake Lever, Shane Mumford, Heath Shaw, Steven Motlop, Jack Watts, Bryce Gibbs and Tom Rockliff.

And which ex-Collingwood star is a late bolter for the Suns’ coaching job.[/QUOTE]

Ffs.......

Robbo is talking down Stringer but at the same time promoting Essendon as the fait accompli....

Can the guy stop being so nakedly pro- Essendon here. He and Cooney are really pissing me off- using the words of the ex- to help get him to Essendon as cheap as possible.

If I were McCartney it would be 1st and second rounder or piss off.....

All the background noise here is HUN BS...

His value is rock bottom if we arent prepared to keep him. Guess we will see but i have little faith of getting even pick 11 now which at the start i thought was not enough.

Well it’s like a tin of soup KH. In perfect condition it’s worth $2.50.

Drop it on a shelf and dent the can and it’s worth 75c.

His value is rock bottom if we arent prepared to keep him. Guess we will see but i have little faith of getting even pick 11 now which at the start i thought was not enough.
We're not unprepared to keep him. There's a difference between shopping him around and refusing to keep him at the club. Bevo has said that if no trade can eventuate, we will find a way to reintegrate him into the club and try to get him back to his best. It's not as if we're hanging him out to dry.

The fact that there are so many plausible reasons why the club is looking to offload him says everything.

Poor form, poor training, poor injury maintenance, apparent relationship breakdown with coach, personal relationship and gambling issues affecting his performance, his co-workers and his employer, those issues now being made public...

Maybe you could retain a bloke responsible for one or two of those issues in isolation, but all of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back