Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel like Ballard should be the higher priority rather than the back up.

24 so in a close age bracket to our younger defenders, doesn't have a history of back injuries. He's the one who I'd target instead of Barass.

Borlase would also basically be a free hit if he's a DFA, if we're keen on him then I can't imagine he'd be too expensive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, for sure. With both, Milesi spoke about their speed/endurance combo. Hopefully Rypstra has the game to go with his athletic profile.
He is going to need to do a full preseason to show his potential IMO
This year would be about learning our system, and proving he is worth keeping on to develop

Some interesting changes regarding concussion related salary cap relief that will have some clubs baulking at offering long contracts to players with issues. Highly relevant to us given English’s history. That’s a huge risk for a club to take.

If there's an AFL official panel recommending retirement, the entire amount should be outside the cap

How can they recommend someone never play again, but then at the same time say you need to keep paying them in your cap

AFLPA and clubs should be massively against this

Some interesting changes regarding concussion related salary cap relief that will have some clubs baulking at offering long contracts to players with issues. Highly relevant to us given English’s history. That’s a huge risk for a club to take.

Tinfoil hat feeling is that the AFL is using these concussion payment rules as an unofficial ‘answer’ to the recent popularity of 6+ year deals that used to be quite rare. Makes it quite difficult to justify in some cases - if this wasn’t already known there’s no way we should be offering Tim anything more than 5 years at most.

It's not 100% clear but I took it to mean the club pays all the retirement salary itself. The "relief" they refer to is that the payment to the retired player is not deemed to be part of the TPP (100% of which the AFL pays anyway while the player is on our list).

So hypothetically say we signed English to a 5 year contract at a flat $800,000 for each of 5 years and he suffered a career ending concussion in Round 6 next year (ratified by the AFL's concussion panel). Here's how it would look:

YEARSALARYAFL PAYSWB PAYTPP PENALTY
2025$800,000$800,000$0$0
2026$800,000$0$800,000$80,000
2027$800,000$0$800,000$200,000
2028$800,000$0$800,000$400,000
2029$800,000$0$800,000$800,000

What's the story with Jed Bews?

Seemed like one of the better small lockdown defenders in the league just a couple of years ago.

Had some injury concerns last year, hasn't featured at AFL level yet this season.

He's 30, however, with Ed now a midfielder our clear best player in this role is currently 33, I wonder if he's worth considering as a stop gap option for a couple of years whilst we develop/recruit players in this role.

What's the story with Jed Bews?

Seemed like one of the better small lockdown defenders in the league just a couple of years ago.

Had some injury concerns last year, hasn't featured at AFL level yet this season.

He's 30, however, with Ed now a midfielder our clear best player in this role is currently 33, I wonder if he's worth considering as a stop gap option for a couple of years whilst we develop/recruit players in this role.
I think Bews would be a handy pick-up. He seemed to be one of those role players who got a lot better in his mid-late 20’s and still underrated.

Age-wise, it might not be the right for our list, especially given all of our 30+yo’s are likely to push on next year.

2-3 years too old for us imo.

A little off topic but with Richard's move into the midfield I'm concerned about how we manage our backline moving forward. Took away one of the best ground ball defenders to play on ball, and while he's been terrific in there it leaves a gaping hole at half-back. On the current list, the only apt replacements to my mind are Cleary or Freijah. Freijah defensively lacking but has very good acceleration and is a beautiful ball user, whereas Cleary is very strong in his defensive positioning, and is a lovely kick, but lacks pace and struggles in contests.

Coffield I can't really comment on as I've seen so little of him, but it seems to me he was drafted in the Richards mould but through his injuries may have lost a large amount of his pace. Is the long term plan to use him as an intercept marker or does he still possess enough speed to either play a shutdown role on small forwards or replace Richards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back