Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news. Id like Barrass but you can cover defensively with a good system. You can't cover a sh1t midfield and as good as ours is atm the cupboard is too thin to be throwing away draft picks for a 29 year old with a cooked back.

I'd package up the smith picks to get up the draft higher for that classy mid
I deffinetly wouldn't be trading up I'd prefer multiple teen picks this year the top 20 is so even, whilst there is no clear cut stand out pick one the depth is the best I've seen in my time following the draft by quite a long way.

Great news. Id like Barrass but you can cover defensively with a good system. You can't cover a sh1t midfield and as good as ours is atm the cupboard is too thin to be throwing away draft picks for a 29 year old with a cooked back.

I'd package up the smith picks to get up the draft higher for that classy mid

I’d package them up for someone in the profile of Callaghan that contribute now & in the future, not in 2-3 years maybe.

But it’s a little doomsday if we are losing English & Smith, and not getting someone like Barrass lol

I’d package them up for someone in the profile of Callaghan that contribute now & in the future, not in 2-3 years maybe.

But it’s a little doomsday if we are losing English & Smith, and not getting someone like Barrass lol
He would be my number 1 trade target. He moves like a certain bloke wearing the number 4

We only need to match the years and total dollars.
Indeed however it is far heavier risk for us because we can’t move the money forward as freely. The new concussion mitigation payments built into contracts means that for a three year period you’re very heavily covered if they succumb. Any time after this is fraught with danger.

Indeed however it is far heavier risk for us because we can’t move the money forward as freely. The new concussion mitigation payments built into contracts means that for a three year period you’re very heavily covered if they succumb. Any time after this is fraught with danger.
Is it the first 3 years of a contract or the next 3 years at any point in time. If a player signs a 5 year deal, plays 3 years and then medically retires do you get coverage for years 4 and 5 or does the AFL say that’s the risk you took?

I wonder also if they consider front/back loading or just look at the average salary across the contract. I hope it’s the average otherwise it’s massively open to manipulation. I’m imagining a scenario where we sign English to $4m over 5 years ($800k average) but we set the payments as $800k, $1.4m, $1.4m, $200k, $200k setting the payments beyond 3 years at the AFL minimum. You have a handshake deal with English to restructure the contract after the first year to $800k, $1.1m, $1.1m, $200k, and again after the next season to 3 x $800k. Essentially you load as much as you can into the 3 year concussion concession period but keep restructuring it to not actually front load. It’s obviously a nonsense but the AFL loves a loophole.

I have been told by a trusted source that Barrass has officially told the Eagles that he'd like to be traded to the Hawks.

Hawthorn have offered Barrass somewhere around 800k per year over four years with triggers for a fifth season.
Barrass's management told the Eagles he would stay if they got to within 20% of the Hawks offer but they refused.
Others might be disappointed but I’m more than happy with this news

Hopefully dodged a bullet.
Barrass is 30 next year and his body has already copped a lot of injuries. His body will fall off a cliff as quick as Alex Keath’s did.

We need to keep the first round pick we get from Geelong to replenish the midfield stocks.

Lobb has been both surprising and really impressive. It’s not just his ability to make but his defensive aggression. Looks natural - if you saw the Lions try with Hipwood the difference is huge. A credit to him.

Also changes the resilience of the defensive unit - early this year the feeling was if Jones was out we are cactus now now so much and we can effectively develop our future back three more slowly and strongly.

With his flexibility we can move a lot of players around and have very few really big holes in our list.

Having: Naughty, Jamarra and Darcy up front - they are a couple of years into development and will just get better. West and Weightman benefit from their consistency. If held together this can be the best forward line in the comp for a decade. We may well find that if we lose English then Darcy and Lobb will share duties and Croft may stay forward. Plenty of options.

Just need to finalise the small forward role - McNeil has played much better but isn’t a star. VDM does a job but likewise. Clarke and Jones have talent but haven’t yet strung enough games together or have a killer instinct. Rypstra is a lotto ticket chance we don’t know will work out. We need genuine speed but having only one uncertain position of brilliant work by List Management. Will be some turnover this year as we keep searching.

Are any of the Father sons coming up small forwards? Only know Cooney, Eagleton, Lake - all much bigger. How far away is young Robbin’s? Certainly looks the parts.

For the backs Jones, Lobb and Keath are here very experienced solid players (yes I still believe we need Keath but he is behind Jones and now Lobb and JOD so writing is in the wall for a great servant who got into a grand final. This experienced group allows us to properly develop our future back three - Buss looks a star, JOD has the best start of a young tall defender I have seen at the Bulldogs - we can easily forget how good he is - and Croft developing with coverage from Gardner possible gives us good options.

Bramble has been able to cover the loss of JJ incredibly well. We tried VDM - that didn’t work and we thought Gags might go back but now not needed. Have also tried Baker but Bramble has great contested no panic natural talent. So covered there.

Coffield is a very very good player if he can stay fit. If not Khamis has him covered (and is in front in some ways). But think this will make it hard for Clearly but he is still needed. If Dale goes down we either have to move Trelor back (as we did before) or Coffield becomes more attacking and a mid defender like Cleary is needed.

Small traditional defender is our biggest hole now - and the fact not defensive post we don’t have covered. - Duryea has found his form but at 33 he can’t go for much longer. This player has to be fast, chunky and very good in the air. They can often play on the oppositions best forward - Papley, Elliot, Cameron/mcCarthy, Green etc. Can’t see anyone on our list with the attributes. Harmes may be able to go back - don’t know if he has defensive intuition though? I am a big Scott fan and think he could do it but he has had a could of very good and bad games in defence - I believe id you left him there he would own it and become the next Bramble? maybe…an option is to go for Jed Bewa - he is thirty but that can be three years to develop someone that we don’t have the n the system. Would love to get Long back from GC.

Mids we have discussed- are in transition but this looks really well managed from

Bont, Trelor, Macrae and Libba and Smith from last year

To today a league leading: Bont, Trelor, Red, Libba and Sanders.

In three years it will still be league leading with Bont, Smith (still holding out hope but would add to us) Red, West and Sanders - all here with real growth still and hopefully with Garcia taking West’s role as a forward rotating mid.) Harmes will also play a forward mid role and is 28 so still has four years.

Future will also see Cooney and co as a big mid coming just as Bont goes forward.

Wings are slowly building: Truck is not a star but is very solid, Gallagher has potential but may go more inside - split a bit ATM. Friejah looks an absolute star of the future and will move forward as he builds his tank. Bedendo looks unlikely now unfortunately- has the perfect attributes but has been passed by both Poulter and Baker which isn’t great for him.

Ruck is probably a risk and likely an offseason target - Lobb is too
Valuable now in defence but if we lost English would rather he played and JOD or Buss player than bashing up Darcy too early.

Lobb has been both surprising and really impressive. It’s not just his ability to make but his defensive aggression. Looks natural - if you saw the Lions try with Hipwood the difference is huge. A credit to him.

Also changes the resilience of the defensive unit - early this year the feeling was if Jones was out we are cactus now now so much and we can effectively develop our future back three more slowly and strongly.

With his flexibility we can move a lot of players around and have very few really big holes in our list.

Having: Naughty, Jamarra and Darcy up front - they are a couple of years into development and will just get better. West and Weightman benefit from their consistency. If held together this can be the best forward line in the comp for a decade. We may well find that if we lose English then Darcy and Lobb will share duties and Croft may stay forward. Plenty of options.

Just need to finalise the small forward role - McNeil has played much better but isn’t a star. VDM does a job but likewise. Clarke and Jones have talent but haven’t yet strung enough games together or have a killer instinct. Rypstra is a lotto ticket chance we don’t know will work out. We need genuine speed but having only one uncertain position of brilliant work by List Management. Will be some turnover this year as we keep searching.

Are any of the Father sons coming up small forwards? Only know Cooney, Eagleton, Lake - all much bigger. How far away is young Robbin’s? Certainly looks the parts.

For the backs Jones, Lobb and Keath are here very experienced solid players (yes I still believe we need Keath but he is behind Jones and now Lobb and JOD so writing is in the wall for a great servant who got into a grand final. This experienced group allows us to properly develop our future back three - Buss looks a star, JOD has the best start of a young tall defender I have seen at the Bulldogs - we can easily forget how good he is - and Croft developing with coverage from Gardner possible gives us good options.

Bramble has been able to cover the loss of JJ incredibly well. We tried VDM - that didn’t work and we thought Gags might go back but now not needed. Have also tried Baker but Bramble has great contested no panic natural talent. So covered there.

Coffield is a very very good player if he can stay fit. If not Khamis has him covered (and is in front in some ways). But think this will make it hard for Clearly but he is still needed. If Dale goes down we either have to move Trelor back (as we did before) or Coffield becomes more attacking and a mid defender like Cleary is needed.

Small traditional defender is our biggest hole now - and the fact not defensive post we don’t have covered. - Duryea has found his form but at 33 he can’t go for much longer. This player has to be fast, chunky and very good in the air. They can often play on the oppositions best forward - Papley, Elliot, Cameron/mcCarthy, Green etc. Can’t see anyone on our list with the attributes. Harmes may be able to go back - don’t know if he has defensive intuition though? I am a big Scott fan and think he could do it but he has had a could of very good and bad games in defence - I believe id you left him there he would own it and become the next Bramble? maybe…an option is to go for Jed Bewa - he is thirty but that can be three years to develop someone that we don’t have the n the system. Would love to get Long back from GC.

Mids we have discussed- are in transition but this looks really well managed from

Bont, Trelor, Macrae and Libba and Smith from last year

To today a league leading: Bont, Trelor, Red, Libba and Sanders.

In three years it will still be league leading with Bont, Smith (still holding out hope but would add to us) Red, West and Sanders - all here with real growth still and hopefully with Garcia taking West’s role as a forward rotating mid.) Harmes will also play a forward mid role and is 28 so still has four years.

Future will also see Cooney and co as a big mid coming just as Bont goes forward.

Wings are slowly building: Truck is not a star but is very solid, Gallagher has potential but may go more inside - split a bit ATM. Friejah looks an absolute star of the future and will move forward as he builds his tank. Bedendo looks unlikely now unfortunately- has the perfect attributes but has been passed by both Poulter and Baker which isn’t great for him.

Ruck is probably a risk and likely an offseason target - Lobb is too
Valuable now in defence but if we lost English would rather he played and JOD or Buss player than bashing up Darcy too early.
I need chat gpt to summarise this post

I have been told by a trusted source that Barrass has officially told the Eagles that he'd like to be traded to the Hawks.

Hawthorn have offered Barrass somewhere around 800k per year over four years with triggers for a fifth season.
Barrass's management told the Eagles he would stay if they got to within 20% of the Hawks offer but they refused.
Sounds very fair of Barrass to say he'd stay for 20% less.

What does their refusal mean? That they know how bad his prospects are with his injured back?
Or that they see an opportunity to sell "high" in order to turbo-charge their re-build (eg getting someone like English) knowing that Barrass might only have 2-3 really good years left in him?

Like others I'm happy that we may now be out of the hunt for Barrass. Would have loved him on the list but not at that price when we have a range of other viable KPD options.

Barrass seems like a deeper, Bevo type of bloke so he might have fitted well. I wonder how he'll fit in with the yobbos at Hawthorn?

What does their refusal mean? That they know how bad his prospects are with his injured back?
Or that they see an opportunity to sell "high" in order to turbo-charge their re-build (eg getting someone like English) knowing that Barrass might only have 2-3 really good years left in him?

Like others I'm happy that we may now be out of the hunt for Barrass. Would have loved him on the list but not at that price when we have a range of other viable KPD options.

Barrass seems like a deeper, Bevo type of bloke so he might have fitted well. I wonder how he'll fit in with the yobbos at Hawthorn?
He had a similar deal worked out with the old heads at the Eagles but when they got their marching orders the verbal agreement got thrown out with them.
From the Eagles perspective he signed his contract and is still on the books for 3 more years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking the exact same thing today actually
That said, WCE's list doesn't exactly seem full of philosophers either

If Barrass is out of the Eagles you can bet your bottom dollar they’ll up their offer to Tim. Who else are they paying? They can front load the living fuuuuurg out of his contract and give up no assets to get him.

6 years at a mil a year is very doable for WCE.
They do 1.8 a year for the first two years followed by 600k a year the 4 after that. Protects them from a concussion stand point and limits the risk drastically.
Would think that would guarantee us tier 1 compo as well?

He had a similar deal worked out with the old heads at the Eagles but when they got their marching orders the verbal agreement got thrown out with them.
From the Eagles perspective he signed his contract and is still on the books for 3 more years.
Agree with the (current) Eagles perspective here. Firstly, his currently rumoured $700k per year deal is within 20% if the Hawks are at 4 x $800k. He can’t compare total contract value adding 2 more years to the Hawks column.

Secondly, he took the security of a 5 year deal (2023-2027) at the end of 2022. He didn’t need to do that. He could have done a Jamarra and signed for 2 years and backed himself in to get a bigger next contract but he didn’t. Also would have given the Eagles the option to get pick 3/4 as free agency compensation. Why should the Eagles give him what he wants other than to be nice guys?

Agree with the (current) Eagles perspective here. Firstly, his currently rumoured $700k per year deal is within 20% if the Hawks are at 4 x $800k. He can’t compare total contract value adding 2 more years to the Hawks column.

Secondly, he took the security of a 5 year deal (2023-2027) at the end of 2022. He didn’t need to do that. He could have done a Jamarra and signed for 2 years and backed himself in to get a bigger next contract but he didn’t. Also would have given the Eagles the option to get pick 3/4 as free agency compensation. Why should the Eagles give him what he wants other than to be nice guys?
He wants within 20% of 3.2Mil (the hawks deal not including the extra year trigger) wether that be over the three years or by adding on an extra year.

Personally I agree that the Eagles are well within there rights to hold him to the original deal and if it were me I wouldn't even entertain trading him given Gov is essentially done and they have no maturity in defence without him. I'd be too scared to cut too deep and have a North style dive.

The only part where I feel for Barrass is that he had worked out to renegotiate his deal before a regime change.

Definitely wasn’t thrilled at the idea of using another first round pick on a KPP. To add to Naughton, Jamarra, Darcy, Busslinger and Croft. Plus trading second rounders for Bruce, Keath and Lobb. Hopefully we use it to have a throw at the stumps for a midfielder/wingman.

I an all for trading for Barrass as I do think he’d be of use to us as we move on from Jones and eventually Lobb as well in seasons to come but no way I’d give up so much for him.

Definitely wasn’t thrilled at the idea of using another first round pick on a KPP. To add to Naughton, Jamarra, Darcy, Busslinger and Croft. Plus trading second rounders for Bruce, Keath and Lobb. Hopefully we use it to have a throw at the stumps for a midfielder/wingman.
Only a few low profile targets left on the board now if Eagles can work out a deal with the Hawks. Looks like it will be off to the draft.

Is it just me, or do Hawthorn make a point of muscling in on any trades we are doing?

I mean I don’t mind if they keep saving us from busts like Winguard.
Seems a bit that way doesn't it. Seems the dogs have the early interest and then Hawthorn gets interested and when that happens they always go there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back