List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Because two can play defense. Darcy and Croft. And the father son bonus forced their hand and it may have unbalanced their list a tad. Drafting Busslinger was a simewhat strange move knowing these kids were coming up.

Dogs may look to hitting the draft for mids in 2024 drafts. They could have multiple 1sts if Smith moves and Busslinger gets a low 2nd.
Smith will command a late 1st
Buzz a late 1st
IF English comes the $$ deal will give band one compo..another late 1st.

All three leaving this time next year will give them 3 plus their own first rounders in a midfielders draft.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Buzz a late 1st

All three leaving this time next year will give them 3 plus their own first rounders in a midfielders draft.

English isn't going and GC has their 2024 first rounder

So question is when and how would you split which pick?

If North offer or we can manufacture either of -
• 2 and 3
• 2 and F1
• 2, another top 10 and another top 20
• 2 and another 2x top 15

then I’d trade pick 1 this year albeit I don’t really see North doing any of the above

I’m reluctant to trade our F1 this year but would be open to it if a really good opportunity arises on draft night - say Curtin bizarrely slides to Adelaide’s pick and we trade our F1 for 10,20 and Adelaide’s F1

I’m more keen on us using either our F2 or F3 to get another pick this year in the 15 to 40 range if there’s someone we like that we could get by trading

Next year might be like 2022 where splitting a high pick into 2 slightly lower picks makes sense and I’d definitely be looking at what we could get using our 2025 R1. Then doing the same in 2025 with our F1 that year

Last edited:
Buzz a late 1st

Lol. Even with smith being a bit of a dickhead he’s worth far more than Busslinger.

And yet here we are with McKay, a s**t injury prone key defender commanding as much money as some of the best mids in the comp.

Its a bit different. With the free agent mechanism clubs are willing to pay way over market value to get the player for free in draft capital.

Mackay and his management played this to perfection .

If Mackay wasn't a free agent the deals on offer would have been considerably less

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That you Melbourne media ?

Building a flag winning list is more than just high draft picks.
There sure is more to it mate I agree but I tell you what, the more kids you can bring in that are likely to play 150+ games, the more likely you are to win one. I think I read on here that there are only 2 WCE players in history that played 150+ games and retired without winning a flag. No idea if it’s true or not but sounds about right.

There sure is more to it mate I agree but I tell you what, the more kids you can bring in that are likely to play 150+ games, the more likely you are to win one. I think I read on here that there are only 2 WCE players in history that played 150+ games and retired without winning a flag. No idea if it’s true or not but sounds about right.
Well look no further then Carlton gws gc etc that first round picks don't necessarily result in success.

Even eagles 2018 wasn't high in top draft picks. No way is splitting picks a requirement to building a flag winning list.

Gaff, Sheppard, Naitanui, Phil Matera, Rosa, Priddis. However, they were all on the list at some stage when we made a grand final

Gaff, Sheppard, Naitanui, Phil Matera, Rosa, Priddis. However, they were all on the list at some stage when we made a grand final
Great stat. So not a single 150 game player has missed the club playing a GF in their time and only Matera missed a flag being won and also didn’t play in a GF (last minute withdrawal with injury)…

explosive

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, amazingly he may be available at our fourth selection (currently pick 58) once it comes in due to the matched bids.
Simpson was consistently good all season at Talent League with really only one quiet game (round 8, 11 disposals, no goals).
But outside of that game he consistently hit the scoreboard and averaged mid-20s.
full
full

cooper-simpson-2-of-2-jpg.1781111

Last edited:
Get that, but you’re splitting for picks 10, 14 and pick around 10 next year. Is that better then splitting for what you could get next year. What would #1 get next year? A top 5 and another top 10?
Not against splitting, just not sold that the teens picks this year is worth it.
I don’t know what offers you might receive next year.

You may not have pick one next year for a start.

Trading your future first is a gamble, both for you and the team trading for it.

Next year, it’s a known quantity, and may not hold the same value as what it holds today.

As for next year’s top end candidates. There is no potential Harley Reid in next year’s draft. If there was, we’d already be talking about him.

There are a number of players comparable to Colby McKercher, Ryley Sanders, George Wardlaw, Cameron McKenzie, etc.

It’s looking like a deep top end for midfielders.

A team potentially holding picks 5 and 10 next year might not have any interest trading up, because they’d much rather draft Josh Smillie at 6 and Toby Travaglia at 11, than just getting Finn O’Sullivan at 1.

The supposed interest of Adelaide in your future first round pick is Sid Draper.

Is he better than what Adelaide is likely to draft at picks 10, 14 this year and 10 next year, potentially.

But Adelaide are looking for that final piece for their midfield, and they are motivated to probably trade out their future first round pick, as they potentially lose it to a bid on father son prospect Tyler Welsh.

I might be wrong and HR might end up becoming the next James Hird or Chris Judd. But if that is regarded as what the par or most likely expected outcomes is, and the trade value is in alignment with that assessment, then i would rather be short those expectations and take the trade rather than be long and hold the pick and draft him. There is much more scope and likelihood for him ending up being significantly less of a player than what people are expecting, and what his trade value suggests, than there is of him being significantly better and exceeding those expectations.

I might be wrong and HR might end up becoming the next James Hird or Chris Judd. But if that is regarded as what the par or most likely expected outcomes is, and the trade value is in alignment with that assessment, then i would rather be short those expectations and take the trade rather than be long and hold the pick and draft him. There is much more scope and likelihood for him ending up being significantly less of a player than what people are expecting, and what his trade value suggests, than there is of him being significantly better and exceeding those expectations.
Do you hate succeeding in life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back