List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

That F1 could potentially turn into pick 6 in this hypothetical trade.

I'm not sure how the top end of next years draft looks, how many F/S academy bid would be in the top 5, but Norf are going into the season with a pretty stacked list full of high draft picks and potentially Harley Reid. Also, Clarko won't be disappearing for half the season like this year.

They could climb off the canvase and show some improvement. Definitely prefer to keep pick 23.

That proposed 23 to 18 upgrade is not that great for us. Not that 2, F1, 17 isn’t overs on its own.

But if nth are that far in then 17 should be 15 and we 18 is swapped for 37. Seriously why not Geelong them and keep asking for more

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reid will leave mckercher will leave. Everyone will leave.

Just fold the club.

How can people live in perpetual fear is something I do not understand of something that’s not certain.

Let them leave. So what? Perhaps people need to work on not taking it personally. If you feel you personally will be hurt by it, then grow a pair.
Why are you freaking out?
McKercher is going to Tassie due to AFL interference.
Notice I never mentioned Reid being the same risk to leave.
Kerch can be loyal all you like. No one is turning down being the highest paid player in the afl by going to tassie.

With our list management, apparently we don't tie the future CBA increases with the player contracts.

This means in the coming years our salary cap effectively increases

30% over the next 4 yrs? Who is our resident actuary?

Pick purchases are coming.

The way I see it the club down the bottom will usually have a bunch of kids in a rebuild and rather than pay them overs to satisfy 95% spend on the cap, you will be able to buy a few high picks to speed that process up.

As your high end picks develop, and start commanding more $, you'll have less capacity to achieve this.

Then, when youre in a flag window the likelyhood is your cap is maxed out...as it should be.

Next year might be a good opportunity, and for that matter our only opportunity, to use some of the freed up cap we will have on a couple of high end picks.

Imagine Brisbane briztoon needing to pay mcgluggage the Ashcroft boys etc to stay in the window.

We sell them 500k over 2 yrs for their 2025 F1....I have no idea on what the formula will be....I suspect noone will

I like it though.

'Pick purchasing' still on the table amid review into Trade Period - 'Pick purchasing' still on the table amid review into Trade Period

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is a very good chance "pick purchasing" doesn't happen.
The unions/AFLPA will have the final say and the fact most clubs aren't owned by the AFL, combined with the 95% TPP floor, this muddies the waters far too much.

I kind of like Twomey/Beveridge, but they are a bit embarrassing sometimes thinking they are more important than they are and getting obsessed with taking credit for "coining phrases" like "gettable" and "pick purchasing" and pushing the idea just for the sake of another novelty..

That proposed 23 to 18 upgrade is not that great for us. Not that 2, F1, 17 isn’t overs on its own.

But if nth are that far in then 17 should be 15 and we 18 is swapped for 37. Seriously why not Geelong them and keep asking for more

Geelong really pumped Rawlings good , I presume he may not want to get his pants pulled down again ..

So who would you be looking at/ hoping for, with 17 & 18?

Do you keep 23 in this deal?

Depending on a slider I'd say Collard and Tholstrop at 17 and 18 that slid into the early 20's.

McKercher, Tholstrop and Collard. Plus Norths F1st.

For Reid and 23.

Trade 37, 58 and F4th for a late pick in the 20s to land a tall.

Last edited:
Depending on a slider I'd say Colkard and Tholstrop at 17 and 18 that slid into the early 20's.

For Reid and 23.

We are pretty well on for small forwards. Ryan, Long, Brockman, Cripps. Cripps getting there so would be happy to take one or the other but not both. If we nabbed hardeman there that would be ideal.

Food for thought:
2024 top end is midfielder heavy. We take Mckercher then that leaves us with Hewett, Ginbey, Kerch, Culley, Chesser on top of the mids we already will be prioritising games to in Kelly, Sheed. Be happy to take another mid next year but two would be overkill.
Factor in the fact there’s been talk of us trading a future to get back into the top 10 this year i’d bet money we’d be looking to do that to grab Curtin.
End up with:
Mckercher, Curtin, Tholstrup/collard, Hardemann this year and retain a top end pick for next year where we can grab Finn, a real Vic country boy with little worries about going home unlike Harley.

I cant see how that eventuates with out any genuine KPD.

One of the major problems with The Beggars List ( even with their many first round picks ), is that it's shallow on KPP, in general and KPD, in particular.

Even if they took O'Sullivan and Murphy, those selections don't help them next year.

North will be bottom three next year.

As for the top end talent goes for next years draft, and granted thats a long way off, but with a crystal ball :crystalball: as it stands now, the pointy end next year looks chock with quality midfielders.

Right Now I would have these five in pole position for pick one contention.

Jagga Smith. 181 Midfielder. Sandringham

View attachment 1841760

Fin O'Sullivan. 180 cm Midfielder ( Sam Walsh's cousin ) Oakleigh - from Koroit - Vic Cty

View attachment 1841761

Sid Draper. 180 cm midfielder (brother of Arlo ) South Adelaide

View attachment 1841762

Joshua Smillie. 194 cm Midfielder. Eastern Rangers.

View attachment 1841763

Christian Moraes 182 cm. Midfielder. Eastern Rangers.

View attachment 1841764

:arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup::arrowup:

If we could get two of these kids then our midfield would be set.

Then the first rounders that are off limits to us.

Levi Ashcroft. Brisbane FS ( Brother of Will ) - brizkent will be telling all who will listen, that this kids the best in the draft cohort.

View attachment 1841765

Sam Marshall. Midfielder. Brisbane Academy.

View attachment 1841766

The Camporeale Twins Lucas & Sam. Midfielders. Carlton FS

View attachment 1841767

Serious question. Not a JTR post but do any of them add that dynamic mid/fwd with X factor like Reid or are they more traditional ball winning mids?
Would two of them with McKercher add enough spice to our midfield or would one of them and Reid be a better pairing?

You do understand its not historically who was taken with those picks but who was AVAILABLE at those picks.

Too bad if you are a club who cant pick decent talent in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Yes probabilities go down the later in the draft.

But if you want to use that argument then you also need to acccept that pick 1 rarely ends up the best player in the draft.
it's just a bit of fun mate.

what wouldn't be fun was the 1993 4+19+22 pick haul of glenn gorman, robert stevenson and dion myles who managed only 21 games and 1 goal between them lol.

We are pretty well on for small forwards. Ryan, Long, Brockman, Cripps. Cripps getting there so would be happy to take one or the other but not both. If we nabbed hardeman there that would be ideal.

Food for thought:
2024 top end is midfielder heavy. We take Mckercher then that leaves us with Hewett, Ginbey, Kerch, Culley, Chesser on top of the mids we already will be prioritising games to in Kelly, Sheed. Be happy to take another mid next year but two would be overkill.
Factor in the fact there’s been talk of us trading a future to get back into the top 10 this year i’d bet money we’d be looking to do that to grab Curtin.
End up with:
Mckercher, Curtin, Tholstrup/collard, Hardemann this year and retain a top end pick for next year where we can grab Finn, a real Vic country boy with little worries about going home unlike Harley.

I would say there is 0 chance we get Curtin if we strike a deal with Nth unless one of 2 things happens:

Nth trade with Melb first and we get 2+6

We take Curtin at #2 (seems unlikely).

Nth will 100% do what we are talking about and split 3 if they hold it. Melb are all in on Duursma (assuming they can’t get Reid and that seems decided). Nth are keen on a combo of Reid/McKercher + Curtin.

WB won’t take a tall, Hawks possible, but I think Watson is more likely.

And none of those teams will push their rebuild back 12 months even for a suspected high F1st.

GWS may entertain it, and O’Sullivan should be there, but pick 9ish for Nths F1 seems uneven.

Take Reid, back ourselves to find a decent tall late as usual, pick purchase or take a salary dump player next trade period, keep taking young improvers in the MSD, possibly leave a train on spot open. Our rebuild may be slower than the clickbait media would like but we are going OK, stay the course and build a list that can hopefully compete for 3-7 years rather than 2-3 as others have done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When will this trade happen .....
If we supposedly interviewed McKercher in Tassie very recently , then we are looking at our options .

Club will improve in 2024 whichever way we go .

The problem with any trade for North's F1 means it becomes more likely North will receive even more compensation next year.

After the blatant shenanigans this year, if North finish bottom in 2024 (which is likely looking at their defence), I wouldn't put it beyond AFL House to hand them picks 1, 2 & 3 at the head of the draft, which in association with academies, would effectively lock out the top tier of that year's talent that is driving interest.

Call me a cynic, but I do not trust the league administration in regard to any picks that can become further compromised.

Hence why I'm not disinclined to trade our own F1 this year on draft night should a slider become available.

Serious question. Not a JTR post but do any of them add that dynamic mid/fwd with X factor like Reid or are they more traditional ball winning mids?
Would two of them with McKercher add enough spice to our midfield or would one of them and Reid be a better pairing?

Jagga Smith, would be the player from that list, that I would most want for our midfield balance.

Smith is very much in the Josh Kelly likeness, very good skills but also very high footy IQ, Smith IMO sees the game open up before him as well as any kid I have seen for quite some time.

He would pair up well with either Reid Or Mckercher.

As much as I don't want to loose Reid the combination of :

Option 1.

McKercher
Ginbey
Hewett
Smith
O'Sullivan

Would see our midfield set for the next decade, as I can see that group collectively becoming an A grade midfield.

If we keep Reid then :

Option 2.

Reid
Ginbey
Hewett
Smith

Still needs another player or two, to complete the midfield.

* If I am being totally honest : Option 1, probably makes a more compelling case.

Either way I really doesn't matter, because the total team rebuild, after next years draft, is only at the midway point, of the reboot, we still have three more drafts / trade periods to do that.

With the drafts now being so badly compromised, the five year rebuild notion, is now more like a seven year task.

I am expecting the number of compo picks that are added to the first round of subsequent drafts to only grow ( lowly finishing teams will have learnt from the McKay fiasco and will not match bids... I mean FFS pick 3 for McKay .... which Club would pass up on that upgrade ? ) and I definitely see the number of Northers State Academy kids doubling, if not tripling, in the next four years.

By which time the vAFL will become under fire ( from those Clubs that don't have academies ) to halt the rort, that it currently is.

Gold Coast have the past two seasons or so, been tanking and trading picks forward, knowing for well, that they have an enviable stream of kids already in their system.

FFS: They have three top 15 rated kids coming onto their list this year; Walter, Ethan Reid and Rogers.

And "Laura Kane the Clown" , has the audacity to say that the draft isn't compromised, thats amazing in itself, as she has gifted North three more first round picks and manipulated the compo ruling to give her beloved Shinbeggars a leg up with the McKay, secret herbs and spices mix.

Apologies a long and somewhat "ranty" reply, but I hope that sheds some light on the points that you have raised.

Jagga Smith, would be the player from that list, that I would most want for our midfield balance.

Smith is very much in the Josh Kelly likeness, very good skills but also very high footy IQ, Smith IMO sees the game open up before him as well as any kid I have seen for quite some time.

Option 1.

McKercher
Ginbey
Hewett
Smith
O'Sullivan

Would see our midfield set for the next decade, as I can see that group collectively becoming an A grade midfield.

If we keep Reid then :

Option 2.

Reid
Ginbey
Hewett
Smith

* If I am being totally honest : Option 1, probably makes a more compelling case.

Either way I really doesn't matter, because the total team rebuild, after next years draft, is only at the midway point, of the reboot, we still have three more drafts / trade periods to do that.

With the drafts now being so badly compromised, the five year rebuild notion, is now more like a seven year task.

I am expecting the number of compo picks that are added to the first round of subsequent drafts to only grow ( lowly finishing teams will have learnt from the McKay fiasco and will not match bids... I mean FFS pick 3 for McKay .... which Club would pass up on that upgrade ? ) and I definitely see the number of Northers State Academy kids doubling, if not tripling, in the next four years.

By which time the vAFL will become under fire ( from those Clubs that don't have academies ) to halt the rort, that it currently is.

Gold Coast have the past two seasons or so, been tanking and trading picks forward, knowing for well, that they have an enviable stream of kids already in their system.

FFS: They have three top 15 rated kids coming onto their list this year; Walter, Ethan Reid and Rogers.

And "Laura Kane the Clown" , has the audacity to say that the draft isn't compromised, thats amazing in itself, as she has gifted North three more first round picks and manipulated the compo ruling to give her beloved Shinbeggars a leg up with the McKay, secret herbs and spices mix.

Apologies a long and somewhat "ranty" reply, but I hope that sheds some light on the points that you have raised.
Of course Laura Kane can’t say the draft is compromised - it was her decision to taint it with very little precedent.

The problem with any trade for North's F1 means it becomes more likely North will receive even more compensation next year.

After the blatant shenanigans this year, if North finish bottom in 2024 (which is likely looking at their defence), I wouldn't put it beyond AFL House to hand them picks 1, 2 & 3 at the head of the draft, which in association with academies, would effectively lock out the top tier of that year's talent that is driving interest.

Call me a cynic, but I do not trust the league administration in regard to any picks that can become further compromised.

Hence why I'm not disinclined to trade our own F1 this year on draft night should a slider become available.
Not that I trust the AFL, but I'm pretty sure they said "Norf have had enough help" with the last batch of handouts.

They received a lot of flack this time from the clubs.

I would be genuinely surprised if they got anymore help next year.

Of course Laura Kane can’t say the draft is compromised - it was her decision to taint it with very little precedent.

Agree.

She came up with an alternative C word = complexed, what C word actually describes it best is corrupt.

Option 1.

McKercher
Ginbey
Hewett
Smith
O'Sullivan

If we keep Reid then :

Option 2.

Reid
Ginbey
Hewett
Smith

Thanks appreciate the insight 👍

Depending on a slider I'd say Colkard and Tholstrop at 17 and 18 that slid into the early 20's.

For Reid and 23.

Those selections aren`t very appealing JTR ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back