List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
The players we got over the trade period would have been good if we had a chance of playing in a GF, but as we are in a rebuild and near the bottom of the ladder wasting picks on these players was madness.
Worried about Baker saying his old team needed to be compensated adequately, he should be letting the trading team work that out. So if they didnt get compensated adequately would he have stayed at Richmond.
That probably would have been a better outcome for WCE.
I reckon the WC powers to be have bought in players who know how to develop a winning attitude, which we badly need.
They know how to prepare for finals and will develop winning attitudes in the younger brigade, who have not had the chance to develop it.
I don't mind our strategy at all.

Dees have said they are open to anything with picks 5 and 9.

Pick 5 turns to live pick 6.

Tigers will trade 6 plus 18 for 2 or some such IMO.

See North wanting one of Trainor or Tauru.

And people better brace for Trainor at our 12 sliding to 14 if Lindsay and Travagalia are gone.

Or Tauru.

A very nice player of need will slide to 14. Just don't control which one.
Yep and I reckon we would be hoping to come back in at 11 for Hawks F1 and our F2.

We go to the draft with 11 and 12.

Tigers 1,2, 10, 20,23,24 and likely 4 picks inside 22 again next year.

The TB trade helped.

the Barrass trade was a win.
I thought that Barrass trade was the worst of the trades.

We valued him at two first rounders and settled on picks that could be 20, 40 and 60 if the Hawks live up to their hype. To make it worse those picks are next year.

I spent over 20 years in sales and if I had brought those kinds of deals back to my employers I would've been mocked and then sacked.

We valued him at two first rounders and settled on picks that could be 20, 40 and 60 if the Hawks live up to their hype. To make it worse those picks are next year.

I spent over 20 years in sales and if I had brought those kinds of deals back to my employers I would've been mocked and then sacked.

"Could be" in the absolute worst case scenario

Hawks could also get a bit found out or cop some injuries and miss the 8

The we just got a top 10 pick, a pick in the 20s plus steak knives for a 29 year old with a bad back 😉

A clubs full draft hand is pretty decent result for a 29yo ect.

Was never going to get 2 x first.

Picks could be 4, 22, 40 as well. No guarantees in this game. Premiers of the last 2 years have missed finals the year after.

Agreed, no point having futures when we need picks (young elite players) now with our current win-loss record. It’s great to have futures if you have elite 20-25yo to help get deals done or keep going to the draft ect. We will be trading back in and might even have to sell our soul and trade for 14 from Freo again.

They definitely could but they're 2nd favourites for 2025 for a reason. Young team, 2024 form, great recruiting etc.

I just can't compute the risk/reward. I would rather have just kept Barrass. If he was so pissed off then throw some extra cash his way, not like we're tight for it.

If McGovern picks up injuries next year, we're in a spot of bother.

"Could be" in the absolute worst case scenario

The we just got a top 10 pick, a pick in the 20s plus steak knives for a 29 year old with a bad back 😉
I think we won the Barrass trade. F1 f2 f3 for a player who did not want to play for us anymore and would have not given a 100%.
How could we possibly lose from that?
We need positive attitudes at the club, not negativity.

Asking for 2 first rounders at the trade table doesn't mean that is what we valued him at.

Barrass has been a great player and still has a few good years in him I think, but I think you would agree that his best is behind him. The limited shelf life is obviously why a player's value decreases drastically as they get older. Let alone one who has never managed to play a full season. And who wanted to leave.

And if you look at where the clubs sit; Hawks are better off with Barrass and we are better off with the picks. Just makes sense.

That’s an interesting take and goes against the grain, a 30yr old key defender who’s one back injury away from never playing again, gets WC a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.
I actually think it’s fits very well, especially considering we’ve got Banfield and a couple of very promising NGA picks next year that we’ll need picks for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No shit. My posts are all about how we need to add Warner to make it all make sense.

Without Warner we are meh.
But the "we traded in Baker/traded out #3 because we're thinking the long game (Warner)" is a myth. I've seen it said in the media multiple times and it doesn't make sense.

We traded Barrass for an F1. We'll need 2x Firsts for Warner. The Baker deal has nothing to do with it. We traded Barrass to put us in a position to get Warner. Warner isn't going to be thing, "Baker is at West Coast, let's go!". He's going to be thinking, "Harley and Draper are at West Coast, this could get real big".

I'm all for Warner, but we've left ourselves short with the Baker deal. We need to pick someone at the top of the draft this year, take Warner next year, then go to the draft again where if we're bottom 5, go another mid, if we're 5-10, we can choose SF, maybe gun KPD, maybe gun HBF etc.

I feel we're likely leaving ourselves short.

I reckon the WC powers to be have bought in players who know how to develop a winning attitude, which we badly need.
They know how to prepare for finals and will develop winning attitudes in the younger brigade, who have not had the chance to develop it.
I don't mind our strategy at all.
I agree, and Baker brings that. Just not at the expense of #3.

We are only have pick 12 and pick 26. For people like to split draft picks did you really want pick 12 and 26 in this year's draft.

People that have a hard on for splitting want multiple go at the pies. We only get two goes this year rofl

I did not want to split picks, but I also don’t get a hard on from having a bunch of 18 year olds who I don’t know can play against men yet.
The club clearly sees that winning a few more games and being ultra competitive is more important in keeping Harley Reid and adding Chad Warner. There may be some method in their madness? Time will tell.
Now pick 3 maybe could have got a good player? Could be a dud also. Pick 12 might get us something decent also?
I don’t have the answers, I just don’t ever think it’s as bad as people think and the obsession that people have with 18 year olds is ridiculous. Go watch colts footy if that’s your obsession.

Reading through the Fox/ESPN etc. news articles regarding winners/losers of the draft and none have us as losers.

What am I missing?

Solid C- tends to be the consensus.

Take the TB gained picks out of it (who was never staying and his draft picks gained are not a result of any genius on our part), its a solid D (loss) in pretty much everyone's books.

Hopefully the club spends a little time studying up on List Management, Draft Strategy & Free Agents 101 over the summer and it will be happier times ahead.

I think we won the Barrass trade. F1 f2 f3 for a player who did not want to play for us anymore and would have not given a 100%.
How could we possibly lose from that?
We need positive attitudes at the club, not negativity.
This is what I think too

In fact I would've been 100% fine with a TB for Baker swap (via pick 14 I assume)

Would've got Baker and kept 3.

But we get 3 extra picks next year now plus we can DEATH RIDE!!!

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would rather try use our future 3rds to get picks in the 40s on an extra player or 2 and keep 2x 1sts and 2x 2nds for next year

Someone like Hugh Boxshall or Luke Urquhart

A developing key defender like Clancy Dennis

It is supposedly a deep draft so finding gems in the late draft should be more than possible

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back