List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

If live on draft night absolutely, as I’ve said multiple times there’s no way we should live trade on draft night unless a club approaches us for that exact reason. Deal has to be done before draft night and our F1 should be valued at pick 1. Dees have showed us what they value pick 1 at with their offer this year.
You won’t know if Curtin has made it to our pick prior to draft night so I doubt you guys would be interested in the trade unless you knew you could get him.

You’re also presuming we value next years (maybe) pick 1 (who can’t identify yet), in the same manner as we value Harley Reid specifically.

Anyway sorry, I’m not badgering - was just interested to come over and see if this was being considered/discussed by you guys and if there was a consensus on a value for any potential trade.

Behind the ball with a bit of license to move off his man without necessarily being the main interceptor.

Looks like he is very versatile though, so certainly could end up forward or even in the middle at times.

I hope he gets settled in a position either way though - it’s kind of rare for the real guns to get thrown all over the place as a utility type.

Where do you see him?
A gun utility. Think we're picking that up with pick 1 anyway mate.

Behind the ball with a bit of license to move off his man without necessarily being the main interceptor.

Looks like he is very versatile though, so certainly could end up forward or even in the middle at times.

I hope he gets settled in a position either way though - it’s kind of rare for the real guns to get thrown all over the place as a utility type.

Where do you see him?
Much the same, not a midfielder like he thinks he is though.
Not sure giving up a likely top 2 pick for a tall defender who thinks he's a midfielder is the way to go

You won’t know if Curtin has made it to our pick prior to draft night so I doubt you guys would be interested in the trade unless you knew you could get him.

You’re also presuming we value next years (maybe) pick 1 (who can’t identify yet), in the same manner as we value Harley Reid specifically.

Anyway sorry, I’m not badgering - was just interested to come over and see if this was being considered/discussed by you guys and if there was a consensus on a value for any potential trade.
Very happy with a few other options at 6, Curtin would be nice but not be all and end all. I’m personally very happy to trade F1 provided it is valued at pick 1 so for me it would have to be a similar deal to the one you presented for pick 1 this year done in the next week.

It’s not badgering, trade options are why we’re on this thread. 👍

I agree, you guys wont value our F1 at pick 1 or 2 if we come asking for a trade for pick 6 for Curtin. I think valuing the pick at 3-4 is fair however, but really depends how your club values the guys available vs next years top few.
I do think 6 and your F1 for our F1 is probably about right if we come asking on draft night

Very happy with a few other options at 6, Curtin would be nice but not be all and end all. I’m personally very happy to trade F1 provided it is valued at pick 1 so for me it would have to be a similar deal to the one you presented for pick 1 this year done in the next week.

It’s not badgering, trade options are why we’re on this thread. 👍
I cant see us getting a similar deal to what was offered for pick 1 this year for our F1. Theres no Harley Reid next year, and as much we'd like it to be, its not actually pick 1 or 2 yet. Other clubs arent the media, they can see that our injury list was atrocious this year, and creeping up 3-4 slots isnt completely out of the question.

Really depends who does the asking though

I cant see us getting a similar deal to what was offered for pick 1 this year for our F1. Theres no Harley Reid next year, and as much we'd like it to be, its not actually pick 1 or 2 yet. Other clubs arent the media, they can see that our injury list was atrocious this year, and creeping up 3-4 slots isnt completely out of the question.

Really depends who does the asking though
I agree with you, but when we are talking about IF we are trading F1, the only way I’d trade it is if it is assumed to be pick 1 and a deal reflecting that worth is agreed on that benefits both clubs.

Seeing only four draftees and only 2 picks in the top 30 just shouts not enough picks for me.

If we dont improve our draft hand to something better than that I'll be very disappointed in our inability to do what so many others are willing to risk.

Again, our inability to turn players over for picks hurts us, especially in a rebuild.
How do we realistically improve this years draft hand though?

The best way is the most obvious by giving up pick 1 this year but half the supporter base could riot if we gave up Reid. Would you take 2,15,17,18 for 1 & 23 if offered? It's obviously a risk but it gives us those extra picks.

You could trade future picks but with the midfield being a major concern & next years draft looking strong in the first round for mids is that a smart move when the pick is likely to be in the top 4.

Our future first is 1 or 2. More likely pick 1. So unless we are compensated accordingly I would rather hold it and get value next year should be we decide to split or trade.
Future first round should be completey off the table. If Curtin wants to play for west coast, then he can demand a trade after his first year like everyone else

Seems to have great vision and disposal by hand as well as game sense of when to go in contested situations. Let’s just casually turn him into GAJ I say

He's the same height & weight as Lachie Neale so no reason he can't move into the midfield. I would say he's more than a longshot at making it.

Clay Hall sounds a lot like Ainsworth back in the day. Honest toiler that accumulated a lot but wasnt that good with it. Stood out due to lack of WA midfield talent

What were the main reasons Ainsworth couldnt make it?

To start with he had a hand issue that required surgery to correct and it took him two years to rehab and re-learn his ball drop. And then for some reason (genetic in the end I recall) he simply couldnt put on size to match it at AFL level.

Clay Hall physically can step into an AFL midfield next season. He has some areas to improve without doubt with his kicking and decision making under pressure top of the list. Thats why he likely falls in the 30's. Kid sounds focused and willing to learn from experience.

Our 37 is about right however we have a knack of drafting quality talls around that spot.

Another pick around 33 would be nice.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we realistically improve this years draft hand though?

The best way is the most obvious by giving up pick 1 this year but half the supporter base could riot if we gave up Reid. Would you take 2,15,17,18 for 1 & 23 if offered? It's obviously a risk but it gives us those extra picks.

You could trade future picks but with the midfield being a major concern & next years draft looking strong in the first round for mids is that a smart move when the pick is likely to be in the top 4.

Feel it can only happen on draft night.

Pre arranged of course.

If the target is Curtin and if he falls to live pick 7 or 8 after Gold Coast bids.

Would need to be live pick 8 plus 13/14 and Dees F1st (15 -18 before they slide).

For Eagles F1st plus either 23 or 37.

Dees would obviously have a top 3 target for next draft and not see Curtin as a priority.

The perfect use of our 2024 1st IMO would be to land Curtin, Wilson or Winsor and the 2024 1st we trade for Busslinger.

Add Reid, Curtin, Wilson in 2023 and Busslinger next year. Thats some nice talent and leadership in that group.

Imo, if Eagles think Curtin is a top 3 player in this draft, WC would definitely consider trading out our future 1st for him.

They would look at it like this, he’s a top 3 WA talent that we could get 200+ games out of and not worry about go home factor and thus wouldn’t have to overpay to keep here.

Also they would like the fact that we could develop him earlier than a F1. The deal would need to be reasonable though as something like this would be heavily scrutinised.

I don’t necessarily agree but they would definitely look at it that way

People need to get over Curtin… there is no point trading out F1 just to have him on the list now. Let him go east, develop, and bring him back with a first rounder when we climb back up the board a bit. He might be a bust anyway
People post as if he is guaranteed to come back home. If you listen to him speak, he sounds likes more than looking forward to going East. If he goes, he's unlikely to be coming back at any stage.

Someone at Collingwood posted exactly the same about Markov Im sure. At least they played him in his natural position. Came in round 4, played every game and now a premiership player and earned another contract.

Unlike Clark who never got a chance to play on ball.

So sure. If we are looking for a big bodied winger dont bother with Hately.

If we need a big inside mid to help the kids over the next 3 years Hately makes sense......if he passes the character test.
Difference is Markov had some elite AFL traits .
Elite pace , long kick and great overhead for his size . But he isn't the best defender and can be soft when it comes to physicality.

What are clark' s elite afl traits ?

I do think clark should have got an extended run in the guts but by the end of the season even sheed had been shifted from the middle due to lack of pace and sheed is a much better player than clark .

We are moving in the right direction with our on ball brigade .

It seems that the coaching staff have finally identified our problem of foot speed in the middle and are trying to fix it.

Next year I would like to see gaff and sheed used on the wings exclusively.

On ball Kelly, duggan , petch , Jones as seniors but I can see sheed used on ball because we have no other options .

Culley and ginbey as young on ball defensive mids / inside bulls 😋 with ginbey spending time back and culley rolling forward

Hewett and Reid 🤞 swapping between mid and forward whilst they work on their match fitness .

Yeah maybe but the WA boys tend to slide a little, so we tend to get good WA prospects in the middle rounds of the draft. Maybe someone slides for the 23 pick and ZZ slides to our 3rd if we’re lucky.
I think we pick more WA guys especially talls in the middle of the draft because they need development and they are more likely to be happy to play wafl and wait for their chance .

An interstate guy may just pull the pin after 2 years and go home .

Obviously their are exceptions to this with long Bwilliams and Ledwards more recently but guys like barass , Rotham and bazzo spend extensive stints in the wafl

People post as if he is guaranteed to come back home. If you listen to him speak, he sounds likes more than looking forward to going East. If he goes, he's unlikely to be coming back at any stage.
No big deal we don't need to spend high picks on key defenders when our midfield is in dire need .

Norf would be smart to trade 3 back to 6 + Melbourne F1st and grab Curtin.

Difference is Markov had some elite AFL traits .
Elite pace , long kick and great overhead for his size . But he isn't the best defender and can be soft when it comes to physicality.

What are clark' s elite afl traits ?

I do think clark should have got an extended run in the guts but by the end of the season even sheed had been shifted from the middle due to lack of pace and sheed is a much better player than clark .

We are moving in the right direction with our on ball brigade .

It seems that the coaching staff have finally identified our problem of foot speed in the middle and are trying to fix it.

Next year I would like to see gaff and sheed used on the wings exclusively.

On ball Kelly, duggan , petch , Jones as seniors but I can see sheed used on ball because we have no other options .

Culley and ginbey as young on ball defensive mids / inside bulls with ginbey spending time back and culley rolling forward

Hewett and Reid 🤞 swapping between mid and forward whilst they work on their match fitness .

Sheed has an unwillingness to chase it ain’t just pace

What were the main reasons Ainsworth couldnt make it?

To start with he had a hand issue that required surgury to correct and it took him two years to rehab and re-learn his ball drop. And then for some reason (genetic in the end I recall) he simply couldnt put on size to match it at AFL level.

Clay Hall physically can step into an AFL midfield next season. He has some areas to improve without doubt with his kicking and decision making under pressure top of the list. That why he likely falls in the 30's. Kid sounds focused and willing to learn from experience.

Our 37 is about right however we have a knack of drafting quality talls around that spot.

Another pick around 33 would be nice.
If you look at other shallow drafts the likelihood of snagging a decent players after pick 25 is extremely low like 30% chance from 25 to 35 and 15% chance after pick 35 .

It is why teams tried so hard to trade up this year giving up bountiful amounts of later picks to move up .

Clubs obviously see this draft as very shallow.

This is the year to have highly rated NGA or F/S .

GC have pretty much turned pick 4 into 3 first Round academy players probably 4 after draft night trading .

Dogs and hawks will both get first round F/S for a hand full of rubbish 3rd rounders that wouldn't have a 10% chance of landing a reasonable player .

If we are going to try snag another pick it would have to be late first round to be even worth the risk IMO.

But it would probably take our future 2nd and 3rd to get a late teen / early 20s pick.

Meh, I just don't see him being that good at the next level
At pick 37 does he need to be that good or just a bloke that’s good enough to fit in a best 22. That’s how I see it at the moment we don’t need to find the best player in the draft at pick 37 we get him at pick one.

We need role players and blokes that possibly play 100-150 games with the later picks, guys that will get everything out of themselves to carve out an AFL career. I guess the question would be could Hall fit that bill?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back