List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Jackson Hately 23 another DFA that on paper fits our needs very well. Big inside mid who needs opportunity who was playing very well in the 2nds but couldnt get a crack on ball same as Crouch. And now he's back in vogue.
Personally don't see the logic behind replacing Greg Clark with a worse version of Greg Clark but that's JMO.

It is almost impossible for the club to significantly improve next year in regards to wins and losses. Strong years from senior players in the forward line and defence will help % but the club will likely get destroyed almost every week through the middle.

Almost no second year player has the ability or body to compete and improve such a weak midfield. Ginbey has the size and athletic capability but I don't think he really moves the needle as he still has a lot to learn in regards to stoppages, setups, movement.

Most of the second year players will likely improve but not enough to swing things very far at all, they may go from performing admirably but losing to their opponent on field to coming close to breaking even but it's really your 3rd to 6th year players that can drive improvement as they have hardened bodies, increasing experience and make better decisions.

Someone let me know our class inside or balanced 3rd to 6th year midfield options?

The club is banking a lot on Kelly not getting injured, Sheed and Gaff and being able to perform close to their max capacity this year even for us to hold the level we are at through the midfield. The only way it improves significantly is if Yeo is able to come back from his overseas trip, perform an outstanding preseason and then delivers a top shelf year through the midfield all year. That happening is highly unlikely.

To try and even this up the club needs to try and tie the ball in and work for secondary stoppages where we can get more players around the ball.

6 wins and a % of 75 could very well be considered a great result compared to the last 2 years but could also still leave the club with the spoon. It's more likely to result in 17th but a spoon is still a chance with that level of improvement.
I agree 100% with your comments, Yeo is the only player who could lift us higher, when he is on song he’s one of the best players in the comp and the only really hard campaigner on our team. In a perfect world where Flynn, Yeo and Kelly play every game as midfielders, with a young support cast WC goes ok.
In the real world Simpson plays Gaff as an inside mid, and claims the players just need Synergy, I’m am a non believer leading into the 2024 season.
It’s great that we’ve got a new CEO, now let’s move on other big changes.

I’m am a non believer leading into the 2024 season.
It’s great that we’ve got a new CEO, now let’s move on other big changes.

Wow that is a surprise, didn't know you thought the club was rubbish and that we need to also sack the coach.

/s

Personally don't see the logic behind replacing Greg Clark with a worse version of Greg Clark but that's JMO.

Someone at Collingwood posted exactly the same about Markov Im sure. At least they played him in his natural position. Came in round 4, played every game and now a premiership player and earned another contract.

Unlike Clark who never got a chance to play on ball.

So sure. If we are looking for a big bodied winger dont bother with Hately.

If we need a big inside mid to help the kids over the next 3 years Hately makes sense......if he passes the character test.

Last edited:
Yes Dev was one.

Mathieson has been floated around for a couple of years and is free to a good home. A bit unsure on this guys onfield antics being a bit OTT. Reportedly a great clubman and would look after the kids in the Beagles

Clarke 26 from the Swans is another mature body ready to go coming out of an elite program.

Jackson Hately 23 another DFA that on paper fits our needs very well. Big inside mid who needs opportunity who was playing very well in the 2nds but couldnt get a crack on ball same as Crouch. And now he's back in vogue.

Not a mid but half back Trey Ruscoe has a bit of presence about him. Attacks the contest with the intensity needed. 193cm not a small lad and again coming out of an elite program.

If our reserves start playing in the national comp we will need to bring in extras and the WAFL wont be policing the cap, it will be the same as the other teams.
The best part of a national reserves side will be pinching wafl players and the wafl being able to do **** all about it .

It would be a massive blow to the wafl financially and they may have been wishing they were more accommodating .
I doubt it ever happens with West Coast licence being owned by the WAFC

View attachment 1846255

According to the Melbourne board we won’t even get that!

The Melbourne board have NFI.

so a2024 pick 1 or 2 PLUS another F1st 2025 for 6 and a pick in the teens that slides into the early 20's AND a 2nd rounder

Two top 3 picks and low 2nd rounder for 7 and 20?

Why even bother posting that here. Its one of the most lopsided trades Ive ever read.

The best part of a national reserves side will be pinching wafl players and the wafl being able to do * all about it .

It would be a massive blow to the wafl financially and they may have been wishing they were more accommodating .

It will happen.

Cant have WAas the only state not included. Funny that thought.

Our reserves and development program is a shambles. And we will need to fix that because we wont win another flag before we do IMO. It just provides too big an advantage to others if we dont.

Good story on young Clay Hall. Comes across as pretty switched on and nice to see Ginbey has been helping him out a bit

Also this re the WA v Vic country game is topical

“After the first quarter the coach told me to man up Harley Reid at all the stoppages and it was really cool to go head-to-head with him and see how he handled himself through the game," Hall said.

“I have a notebook I take with me everywhere and after a game I'll write down a page of notes on what I did well and what I didn't. Then when I'm a bit more clear-minded I'll reflect on those and see what I can put into place for the next game.

"I wrote down straight away a few things he did that got the better of me in close around stoppages.

"If I was matched up on him again, I probably wouldn't have stood so close to him so he couldn't use his power on me, and I also wouldn't have worried about him so much."

Not much love for him on this board but as an inside mid we could do worse with our 3rd pick if he’s still there. Or gamble on him still being there with our 4th which will be about 10 picks later

It may actually not be as outlandish as it first seems.

Considering how trash 2023 was for West Coast, it is interesting to note that for matches where Petruccelle had more than one stoppage clearance and 40% or more of his possessions were contested, the Eagles went 1-2 with those three matches separated by just 14 points in total.

In a season of 3-20, with an average margin of 55 points in favour of the opposition, that does stick out somewhat.

I like the idea of Petch playing more midfield from what he has shown but surely you are taking the piss on this one. Way too small sample size and way too specific on the stats, to gain any meaningful data analysis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a spud
Which one mate...Heaps out there with different uses and benefits.
Asking for a friend.

tony%20galati.jpg

Good story on young Clay Hall. Comes across as pretty switched on and nice to see Ginbey has been helping him out a bit

Not much love for him on this board but as an inside mid we could do worse with our 3rd pick if he’s still there. Or gamble on him still being there with our 4th which will be about 10 picks later

I like him. Thought the first couple of WA games where we were getting smashed, he was one of the few who really stood up and busted his gut. Shows character.
He performed well for Peel in the seniors and has a good mix of traits.
Does scrub kick a few which everyone tends to notice but also does some nice kicks. So has the skills just needs to work on kicking under pressure.
I’d be happy with him after the first two picks.

I would be delighted if we can get him at 58 (or what it becomes) but I reckon we’ll pick him at 37 and take O’Driscoll at 58.

The best part of a national reserves side will be pinching wafl players and the wafl being able to do * all about it .

It will happen.

Cant have WAas the only state not included. Funny that thought.

Our reserves and development program is a shambles. And we will need to fix that because we wont win another flag before we do IMO. It just provides too big an advantage to others if we arent competing at the same level with the same access to reserves players.

Wouldn’t be unhappy with a draft hall of
Reid
ZZ
Hall
O’Driscoll
Agreed. That’s exactly what I posted a day or two ago and I think that’s what the recruiting team would have in mind. The only consideration is whether we package up 37 and 58 to GCS for 32 or add in a F3/4 and have a crack at one of their picks in the 20s

Is ZZ worth pick 23? most of what ive heard seems to indicate he will be 35+? The rookieme guide has him picks 30-50 area

Our first pick will be 28 at best after academy and father/son bids

Depending on who else is available at that pick, ZZ might not be much of a reach

Hall just strikes me as the kind of guy who's absolute ceiling is a fringe best 25 guy, a player who can find a heap of ball in the WAFL but it doesn't translate to the AFL. A Kane Mitchell, Shane Nelson, Clark type.
I guess fine to have on the list for a bit as depth but do you deliberately draft that kind of player or do you go for someone riskier, who has a higher ceiling and may ultimately end up as a better AFL player?

You can't do it now so why do you think it will happen in the future. Will reserves players be compensated enough to disrupt their lives and their real jobs.There are reasons that some really good players are playing in the wafl, country and ammos and not for the Eagles.
Playing Afl reserves i suspect will not be all it is cracked up to be.

Is ZZ worth pick 23? most of what ive heard seems to indicate he will be 35+? The rookieme guide has him picks 30-50 area
Our second pick will be pick 29 which is about where i’d rank ZZ. If we’re confident he’d slide to pick 37 then I’d love another bite at the cherry depending on who is available. I think we’ll see some real sliders who we rate highly given how even the draft is from about 23-40.

Wouldn’t be unhappy with a draft hall of
Reid
ZZ
Hall
O’Driscoll
I suspect there will be better interstate talent available at our latter picks. WA weren't that impressive in the Champs from memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back