List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Neither does Harley… that said I agree with your point. Curtin isn’t worth a 2 or 3, and that’s what our F1 will be.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The difference is Harley is elite in multiple positions so yes, knowing exactly what his “best” is is difficult.

Curtin is an elite defender but he wants to be a midfielder. He’s not shown himself elite there yet

Trading future pick 1 for curtin would be an absolute disaster - list manager would need to go. This obsession with Curtin should stop. He's in the same range as ginbey was. Nobody in their right mind would give up pick 1 for ginbey
Like trading for Reid, it would depend what we'd be getting back. There's also the context of how we perceive next year's draft against this year's draft. If Curtin at 6 this year is equivalent to pick 3 next year, it's not a huge jump.

Ideally, splitting a pick 1 nets us two top 10 picks so even Melbourne would struggle with that. The best they can do is 6 & 11 this year or 6 and F1, which should be about 14.

Norf aren't giving up both 2 and 3
Which is great, because it means we keep pick 1
Prefer you don't post media fantasy about pick 1 swaps
My apologies - just thought it might be of general interest as it’s not the worst one I’ve seen floated about the place!

You guys are gonna have to put up with another 3 weeks of hypothetical discussion about by pick 1 unfortunately, but I’ll head off now so as to not overstay my welcome.

All the best with the draft and with next season guys :thumbsu:

Herald Sun

AFL trade news: Melbourne Demons urged to find a way to secure Harley Reid​

Harley Reid is a generational talent, and Brock McLean has urged his old club the Melbourne Demons to put together a package deal in a bid to secure the budding star.

Melbourne has been urged to do everything in its power to secure the No. 1 draft pick from West Coast in the race for Harley Reid.
Former Demons midfielder Brock McLean – who played alongside Reid at Tongala this year – said the 18-year-old was undoubtedly a “special talent” who looked set to have a glittering “15-year career” at the top level.

While McLean said suggestions that Reid did not want to move west to join the Eagles were “categorically wrong”, he believed that it would be in Melbourne’s best interests to trade a raft of first-round selections in exchange for West Coast’s pick one.
“If you’re a club with multiple first-round draft picks, you’d definitely be looking at packages that you can trade up to West Coast to get him into your club,” McLean said.

“He’ll put bums on seats and I think once he gets a few pre-seasons under his belt, he’s just going to be an absolute gun. He can play anywhere on the ground, he’s good overhead, strong, a good size and a great kick.

“Regardless of whatever club that he ends up at, I’d love to go and watch him play, particularly in his first year in the AFL. If he ends up at the Dees, I’d be absolutely stoked.”
Melbourne offered picks 6, 11, 42 and a future first-round selection to the Eagles as part of a trade for the No. 1 pick late last month.

However, the Eagles are continuing to hold the selection, amid other rival offers from North Melbourne and Hawthorn.
Clubs are able to complete live trades of picks on draft night if deals are unable to be reached before the close of the trade period at 5pm on Friday.

McLean, who played 157 with Melbourne and Carlton across an 11-year career at the highest level, said Reid was as good an 18-year-old prospect as he had seen.

“When Dusty (Richmond’s Dustin Martin) burst onto the scene, he was pretty amazing,” McLean said.
“Sam Walsh comes to mind. I didn’t get to spend any time with him at Carlton, but talking to people who were at Carlton at the time, they said he was one of the most special kids they’d seen come through the system.

“I certainly think Harley’s right up there with those types of guys. Just from what I’ve seen and knowing the kid that he is, he’s really special and he’d be a great addition to any footy club.

“We had a few chats and you could just tell he’s got a really good head on his shoulders.
“He’s going to be a really class player for a long time.”
Tell him he's dreaming

Herald Sun

Harley Reid is a generational talent, and Brock McLean has urged his old club the Melbourne Demons to put together a package deal in a bid to secure the budding star.

Melbourne has been urged to do everything in its power to secure the No. 1 draft pick from West Coast in the race for Harley Reid.
Former Demons midfielder Brock McLean – who played alongside Reid at Tongala this year – said the 18-year-old was undoubtedly a “special talent” who looked set to have a glittering “15-year career” at the top level.

While McLean said suggestions that Reid did not want to move west to join the Eagles were “categorically wrong”, he believed that it would be in Melbourne’s best interests to trade a raft of first-round selections in exchange for West Coast’s pick one.
“If you’re a club with multiple first-round draft picks, you’d definitely be looking at packages that you can trade up to West Coast to get him into your club,” McLean said.

“He’ll put bums on seats and I think once he gets a few pre-seasons under his belt, he’s just going to be an absolute gun. He can play anywhere on the ground, he’s good overhead, strong, a good size and a great kick.

“Regardless of whatever club that he ends up at, I’d love to go and watch him play, particularly in his first year in the AFL. If he ends up at the Dees, I’d be absolutely stoked.”
Melbourne offered picks 6, 11, 42 and a future first-round selection to the Eagles as part of a trade for the No. 1 pick late last month.

However, the Eagles are continuing to hold the selection, amid other rival offers from North Melbourne and Hawthorn.
Clubs are able to complete live trades of picks on draft night if deals are unable to be reached before the close of the trade period at 5pm on Friday.

McLean, who played 157 with Melbourne and Carlton across an 11-year career at the highest level, said Reid was as good an 18-year-old prospect as he had seen.

“When Dusty (Richmond’s Dustin Martin) burst onto the scene, he was pretty amazing,” McLean said.
“Sam Walsh comes to mind. I didn’t get to spend any time with him at Carlton, but talking to people who were at Carlton at the time, they said he was one of the most special kids they’d seen come through the system.

“I certainly think Harley’s right up there with those types of guys. Just from what I’ve seen and knowing the kid that he is, he’s really special and he’d be a great addition to any footy club.

“We had a few chats and you could just tell he’s got a really good head on his shoulders.
Petracca, Oliver, pick 6, pick 11 and F1 or GTFO.

Cycling only increases your endurance for cycling.

Doesn’t increase your endurance for running or swimming.
That's no true. I do distance running and do a swim each week to build my aerobic fitness while giving my legs a rest. My mates that do triathlon only do 1 or 2 runs a week because they need 2 cycles and a swim as well. Doesn't mean they can't tear it up on the track.

If you only swam or cycled you'd struggle to run as your legs don't have the conditioning.

When it comes to our injury prone players, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing a mix of low impact cardio to get everything out of their legs before retirement.

My apologies - just thought it might be of general interest as it’s not the worst one I’ve seen floated about the place!

You guys are gonna have to put up with another 3 weeks of hypothetical discussion about by pick 1 unfortunately, but I’ll head off now so as to not overstay my welcome.

All the best with the draft and with next season guys :thumbsu:
2 weeks today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun

Is Brock unaware Melbourne already offered 3x first rounders?

Yep. Steaming. If Melbourne offered the same offer they gave for Reid for our F1 instead then I’d take it. Otherwise Foxtrot Oscar.

Haha I put question marks on it, was hoping for more constructive trade options!

You've made your point many times that you would only accept the same Melbourne offer for this year's pick 1, for our F1. This is extremely unlikely, given the uncertainty our F1.

Herald Sun

Sounds like an amazing prospect. We should just draft Reid then.

DTR

AFL is looking at clubs being able to trade picks up to 2 years into the future. I don't have the full details yet or what exactly the rules will be, I do however expect it to be reasonably restrictive on the second year. (on top of a potential mid season trade period next year)

It is however at this stage a high likelihood of being in place by the time of next years trade/draft period and for that reason I really don't want to be trading out our future first under any circumstances this year now.
Is that so they can gift North picks further in advance?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's no true. I do distance running and do a swim each week to build my aerobic fitness while giving my legs a rest. My mates that do triathlon only do 1 or 2 runs a week because they need 2 cycles and a swim as well. Doesn't mean they can't tear it up on the track.

If you only swam or cycled you'd struggle to run as your legs don't have the conditioning.

When it comes to our injury prone players, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing a mix of low impact cardio to get everything out of their legs before retirement.
I cycle, between 175km and 225km a week. I used to cycle a LOT.

I walk a lot now. 10km on my non cycling days. I used to run a LOT (cross country & half marathons) as well.

As you mentioned, you use different muscles walking compared to cycling.

If you’re doing the amount of running AFL players do, cycling isn’t going to improve your endurance or cardio. Well it shouldn’t, because you should already have pretty good endurance, unless you’re Cam Rayner.

Swimming would definitely improve cardio. Not sure about endurance.

This is this morning, and my last week on the fitness app on my phone. Haven’t figured out how to tie in my weekly walking in to the same app, so it shows both walking and cycling.
IMG_2267.jpeg

The difference is Harley is elite in multiple positions so yes, knowing exactly what his “best” is is difficult.

Curtin is an elite defender but he wants to be a midfielder. He’s not shown himself elite there yet
Don't know if curtin is an elite defender , he was beaten soundly in the first 2 games before being moved to the midfield.

Even in the wafl seniors he played that intercept/ accumulator role .

Haha I put question marks on it, was hoping for more constructive trade options!

You've made your point many times that you would only accept the same Melbourne offer for this year's pick 1, for our F1. This is extremely unlikely, given the uncertainty our F1.

The only way we get fair or overs value for our F1st is Adelaide if they have the appetite to trade for it.

Even then (10, 14, F1st) we need a willing party to slide back from 6/7/8 to 10 (using pre bid #s) and that would cost at least a F2nd.

Our F1st and F2nd for Adelaide’s F1st, 6 & 14 isn’t overly appealing in the end.

Trading our F2nd to grab an extra pick in the 20-30 range is our best bet

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only way we get fair or overs value for our F1st is Adelaide if they have the appetite to trade for it.

Even then (10, 14, F1st) we need a willing party to slide back from 6/7/8 to 10 (using pre bid #s) and that would cost at least a F2nd.

Our F1st and F2nd for Adelaide’s F1st, 6 & 14 isn’t overly appealing in the end.

Trading our F2nd to grab an extra pick in the 20-30 range is our best bet

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is the best F1 trade for us (include a swap of 20 and 23 and send back 37) but I’d be very comfortable doing this and actually using pick 10 and preserving our F2 rather than trading up for Curtin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back