List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Herald Sun

AFL trade news: Melbourne Demons urged to find a way to secure Harley Reid​

Harley Reid is a generational talent, and Brock McLean has urged his old club the Melbourne Demons to put together a package deal in a bid to secure the budding star.

Melbourne has been urged to do everything in its power to secure the No. 1 draft pick from West Coast in the race for Harley Reid.
Former Demons midfielder Brock McLean – who played alongside Reid at Tongala this year – said the 18-year-old was undoubtedly a “special talent” who looked set to have a glittering “15-year career” at the top level.

While McLean said suggestions that Reid did not want to move west to join the Eagles were “categorically wrong”, he believed that it would be in Melbourne’s best interests to trade a raft of first-round selections in exchange for West Coast’s pick one.
“If you’re a club with multiple first-round draft picks, you’d definitely be looking at packages that you can trade up to West Coast to get him into your club,” McLean said.

“He’ll put bums on seats and I think once he gets a few pre-seasons under his belt, he’s just going to be an absolute gun. He can play anywhere on the ground, he’s good overhead, strong, a good size and a great kick.

“Regardless of whatever club that he ends up at, I’d love to go and watch him play, particularly in his first year in the AFL. If he ends up at the Dees, I’d be absolutely stoked.”
Melbourne offered picks 6, 11, 42 and a future first-round selection to the Eagles as part of a trade for the No. 1 pick late last month.

However, the Eagles are continuing to hold the selection, amid other rival offers from North Melbourne and Hawthorn.
Clubs are able to complete live trades of picks on draft night if deals are unable to be reached before the close of the trade period at 5pm on Friday.

McLean, who played 157 with Melbourne and Carlton across an 11-year career at the highest level, said Reid was as good an 18-year-old prospect as he had seen.

“When Dusty (Richmond’s Dustin Martin) burst onto the scene, he was pretty amazing,” McLean said.
“Sam Walsh comes to mind. I didn’t get to spend any time with him at Carlton, but talking to people who were at Carlton at the time, they said he was one of the most special kids they’d seen come through the system.

“I certainly think Harley’s right up there with those types of guys. Just from what I’ve seen and knowing the kid that he is, he’s really special and he’d be a great addition to any footy club.

“We had a few chats and you could just tell he’s got a really good head on his shoulders.
“He’s going to be a really class player for a long time.”
Great case put for us to JTR.

Melbourne simply don't have the draft capital. Are they going to pull picks from Santa's bag?

Not to stop the shitting on the Hawks offer, the Demons board is not to be outdone, they are curently saying they wouldn't want our future first and pick 23 for their pick 6 if Daniel Curtin falls there....
I'm so confused about this dumb rationale from other clubs' supporters.

"If you don't trade away the best player int he draft, we'll pick the 6th best. Take that!!"

Not to stop the shitting on the Hawks offer, the Demons board is not to be outdone, they are curently saying they wouldn't want our future first and pick 23 for their pick 6 if Daniel Curtin falls there....

Even know they’d win that deal, I understand why they wouldn’t want to do it. Their window is now, makes sense to get talent in the door right now, especially talent that can be best 22 next year.

Vicbias is getting to the point of

Eagles need to Reid the room
Jon Ralph
November 10th 10:00AM

Cmon guys. trade him to North ffs! He doesnt even want to join you. He told his uncles plenty of times. All you are going to do is draft him and in 3 years time have him leave in the PSD for no return. You would be much smarter to just use pick 3 and 6 on Daniel Curtin and Lance Collard.

Anyway I dont care, its your loss not mine

SUBSCRIBE TO READ NOW

Where was James Hirds best position?

When you are elite no matter where you play that gets you in pick 1 discussions. Curtin is effective without showing elite traits as a mid.
Still rate Hird as one of the best players I have seen play the game.
If Dons were needing some urgent goals he would go forward and bang, bang a couple of goals.
If they were getting scored against he would go back and shore up the defense.
If they were getting beat out of the middle he would go in there and they would end up winning the next half a dozen clearances, close to.
And that all in the same game 😂😂

To see him live was just awesome, except when he tore us a new one on occasion.

Now if Reid can have that level of versatility.......nuff said
JTR
DTR
WTR

As many have said already, it is so amusing hearing what the other clubs are saying with regards to getting our pick 1 so they can take a once in a lifetime 250 game gun who will put bums on seats and is the best of the best of the best.
It's like they think we are way over west and don't realise how good he is and can be so are more than prepared to pass on him as long as we get the WA boy Curtin.
Yes I am sure we would love to get Curtin, but at the expense of Reid I think not.

As many have said already, it is so amusing hearing what the other clubs are saying with regards to getting our pick 1 so they can take a once in a lifetime 250 game gun who will put bums on seats and is the best of the best of the best.
It's like they think we are way over west and don't realise how good he is and can be so are more than prepared to pass on him as long as we get the WA boy Curtin.
Yes I am sure we would love to get Curtin, but at the expense of Reid I think not.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've ever had a non-WA player drafted in the first round be traded out of the club since Chris Judd. Scott Selwood was pick 22 (officially second round) and was on the downhill anyway - was he set to be delisted? Maybe Brad Ebert counts?

Heck, we made a couple of them captain (Hurn, Shuey) and one of them is getting married and having kids to a WA woman (Venables).

It’s a bit like walking into the pub with the best looking girl in the whole joint on your arm, all the other guys are looking over to you and your babe, with green jealous eyes, their mouths wide open and their tongues hanging out the side of their gobs.
Salivating at the forbidden fruit that they won’t get to indulge.

So suck sh1t, other Clubs.

Jealousy and envy are incurable diseases.

Last edited:
Bicycling Tour De France GIF by LCL

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've ever had a non-WA player drafted in the first round be traded out of the club since Chris Judd. Scott Selwood was pick 22 (officially second round) and was on the downhill anyway - was he set to be delisted? Maybe Brad Ebert counts?

Heck, we made a couple of them captain (Hurn, Shuey) and one of them is getting married and having kids to a WA woman (Venables).
I think the Vic media nuffies mix us up with Freo and their revolving door squad.

Hardly any leave WC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demon 16 was pretty on the money with the proposed F1 trade if Curtin slides.

No point getting your panties twisted over it fellas. And yes I think it's something we should consider doing.

Get the tall utility from WA now
Back ourselves to improve and not be pathetic next season with Harley and Curtin playing
Nothing suggest Curtin wouldn't be able to play round 1, given how he plays in the WAFL
Potentially finish 15-16 rather than 18th

That means ponying up what, pick 3-4 next year for pick 6 this year and a F2 or something coming back to death ride a team with. That's always fun.

Worst worst case we finish last and it costs us pick 1 for Curtin and change, but at least we'll have the player the club might just rate high enough to cop that risk.

A lot of it comes down to how we view other downward trending clubs in 2024 and ask the question, who would be worse than us? We only need to leapfrog a couple teams.
Those teams dropping....

My $ is on

Cats
Dees

Last year we traded 2 for 8 13?

Why not our F1 and for 6 11. Dee's take the risk we don't get the spoon but have the number one pick if we do. Then we take reid Curtin and best available at 11.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% this...
IMO our best expectations next year is we finish 17th, would be gutted if we handover pic 2 to another team, especially Melbourne, can you imagine gary lyons smug face and comments
We'd probably get credited with keeping them at the pointy end of the season for a few more years!
Take HR this time round and maybe look at splitting next years.
Build for long term success, not just climb to the middle of the table quickly and stay there for years, rebuild our way, not the media's way!
What if, shooting the shit, we have a fully fit list come round one and an easy draw and win 4 of our first 8 with little carnage. Still 15 rounds to go and say we win another 5 out of 15 and limp home. 9 wins. About 13-16th in last few years. Pick 3-6.

I think we underestimate the possibility of a small but meaningful bounce. I sure as hell hope we have one.

Those teams dropping....

My $ is on

Cats
Dees

Last year we traded 2 for 8 13?

Why not our F1 and for 6 11. Dee's take the risk we don't get the spoon but have the number one pick if we do. Then we take reid Curtin and best available at 11.

Minor correction:

(It was for 8 & 12 that turned into 9 & 14 on draft night)

Anyone see the reports that we are trying to get GC’s pick 24?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Given our picks after 24 are worth less than 24, we'd have to throw in future picks (most logically our F2nd by itself), which would give GC less points in this draft which is where they need the points so unless others were involved I don't see this happening.

Anyone see the reports that we are trying to get GC’s pick 24?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What would we give up? How are GC's points looking? If GC can afford to go into deficit I could see us getting it done with 37, 58 & a future pick. If they're still chasing points, the best I can see us getting from them is pick 32. It would also have to be the first trade of the draft.

I'm the Eagles rep for the gosaints mock draft over on the main draft board. Just did the following trade with Gold Coast. The trade is points neutral but included a promise not to bid on Walter at 1.

West Coast trade 23, 37 and 58 to Gold Coast for 24, 27 and 74.

What would we give up? How are GC's points looking? If GC can afford to go into deficit I could see us getting it done with 37, 58 & a future pick. If they're still chasing points, the best I can see us getting from them is pick 32. It would also have to be the first trade of the draft.
If we are desperate to get into the middle of this draft which I presume would only happen if 3 of ZZ, Tholstrup, Collard, Hardeman (or another clearly identified talent) are available at pick 23 (29):

IN: 24,26 (1514 points)
OUT: 37,58,F2(21) ,F3(39) (1977 points)

Walk away with Reid and 3 of these guys is a great result but leaves us VERY skinny next year. I’m actually quite happy not to trade into the second round but the first round is a different matter.

Given our picks after 24 are worth less than 24, we'd have to throw in future picks (most logically our F2nd by itself), which would give GC less points in this draft which is where they need the points so unless others were involved I don't see this happening.
Maybe GC have a another team willing to trade them a couple of later second round picks, who want to tap out of this draft. GC trade 24 & F3 to WC for 58 and F2, said team trades 30 & 39 to GC for two F2's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back