List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but you can't just assume we're going to pick up someone that's going to make your argument valid.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's a troll making the statement painting doom and gloom bleating over and over it will take the Eagles 10 years to rebuild through the draft.

It's a dumb, stupid statement and position to take because no-one uses JUST the draft to rebuild do they?

Feel free to show us where that has happened EVER.

That was / is Britoons trolling at his best. And he admitted as much on the Lions board. He likes stirring up Eagles supporters here. Once I read that on ignore he went.

So no matter what you think he's on about to me he is a troll. A more subtle troll than most because he sprinkles in elements of logic now and again.

Anyway. He hasn't changed and he's back on ignore.

End of discussion. Let's just stop feeding trolls.

Last edited:
So who do we reckon we'll go for at 12?
  • Hotton has to be a possibility. Talent wise I think he'd be a steal there. Sure he's coming off an ACL but so do lots of guys. Petracca did one in his first couple years IIRC.
  • Not that keen on Allan as he appears a low-production mid.
  • Lindsay seems a safe pick but ceiling wouldn't be as high as Hotton's.
  • do we reach for a Hynes.
  • Hope Murphy slides?
  • Berry seems a talent but a half forward is one of our lowest priorities.
  • Tauru likely not there by the sounds. Likewise TT.

Hotton could well be the Hail Mary let's
" put all our chips on red 5 and hope for the best".

Start him at halfback like Sheezel until he regains full confidence in the knee.

If the likes of TT, Lindsay, Allan and Trainor are gone.

Regarding delisting Witherden, Culley and Burgeil, I am also most surprised about Culley and Burgeil.

Following my initial disappointment, Culley came across as a bloke that will do anything to get the most out of himself but his limitations probably leave him with a low ceiling and a poor fit in the modern game. I hope he proves me wrong and goes on to be a good player somewhere.

I was disappointed at delisting Burgeil based on what I initially thought he projected to be. I heave watched most of our WAFL games over the last two years and he unfortunately could not get on the park for a lot of it and looked more and more disinterested when he did. That is on him cause I think he still has a lot to work with in the modern game if he gets his body and attitude right.

Ultimately, this board has collectively complained about holding players (list cloggers) too long. Hopefully this is now a sign that West Coast is ready to cycle through players more quickly to hopefully unearth more late and rookie gems than we have over the last decade or so.

If we managed to snag Tauru at 12 after all this I'd be pretty happy, id call the drop from 3 to 12 a success if it happened. Less need to throw him in the side in a forward or mid role round 1 means we have less of a queue for one of those forward spots, especially when bringing Hewett in already.

Great option to replace Gov.
I'd be rapt to snag Tauru at 12. I don't see it happening when Richmond, St Kilda and Melbourne all have multiple picks in front of us.

So who do we reckon we'll go for at 12?
  • Hotton has to be a possibility. Talent wise I think he'd be a steal there. Sure he's coming off an ACL but so do lots of guys. Petracca did one in his first couple years IIRC.
  • Not that keen on Allan as he appears a low-production mid.
  • Lindsay seems a safe pick but ceiling wouldn't be as high as Hotton's.
  • do we reach for a Hynes.
  • Hope Murphy slides?
  • Berry seems a talent but a half forward is one of our lowest priorities.
  • Tauru likely not there by the sounds. Likewise TT.
I hope their was an agreement which sees Travaglia slide to our pick although that's naive on my behalf to think we are capable of that

I'd say it's between Lindsay and Allan.

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Regarding delisting Witherden, Culley and Burgeil, I am also most surprised about Culley and Burgeil.

Following my initial disappointment, Culley came across as a bloke that will do anything to get the most out of himself but his limitations probably leave him with a low ceiling and a poor fit in the modern game. I hope he proves me wrong and goes on to be a good player somewhere.

I was disappointed at delisting Burgeil based on what I initially thought he projected to be. I heave watched most of our WAFL games over the last two years and he unfortunately could not get on the park for a lot of it and looked more and more disinterested when he did. That is on him cause I think he still has a lot to work with in the modern game if he gets his body and attitude right.

Ultimately, this board has collectively complained about holding players (list cloggers) too long. Hopefully this is now a sign that West Coast is ready to cycle through players more quickly to hopefully unearth more late and rookie gems than we have over the last decade or so.
Yeah really harsh IMO on culley ...ACL injury deserved another year on the list for me

That was / is Britoons trolling at his best. And he admitted as much on the Lions board. He likes stirring up Eagles supporters here. Once I read that on ignore he went.

So no matter what you think he's on about to me he is a troll. A more subtle troll than most because he sprinkles in elements of logic now and again.

I'm surprised Britoons hasn't been banned from the board. He came across okay for a while and despite saying he is only here for the rebuild, also turns up on the Oppo thread and clearly trolls.

It's a troll making the statement painting doom and gloom bleating over and over it will take the Eagles 10 years to rebuild through the draft.

It's a dumb, stupid statement and position to take because no-one uses JUST the draft to rebuild do they?

Feel free to show us where that has happened EVER.

Assuming Richmond will only use the draft is dumb and stupid. We all know its a process. They will reach a stage when they are ready to trade in and the like but to suggest they should have done it this year like we were dumb enough to do is what we are arguing. I like most think we should have simply waited til 2025 to get the Liam Baker and Matt Owies types. Not just do it during the deepest draft in recent memory.

My plan would have been simple

Tell Liam Baker we are not interested. Tell Matt Owies the same. Take Jack Graham as a FA only
Throw a nuclear offer at Riley Garcia. Use F2nd from Hawks to get it done. If that fails trade for Dev but only use future picks (not F2nd but like F2nd for Dev + F3rd type deal)
Take 14 + F2nd for Barrass + F3rd type deal
Trade 14 + 61 with Sydney for 19 and 22
Go into draft with 3,19,22,26,68
Use 68 on Champoion and dont be dumb shits
In 2025 we go all out for Chad Warner.

What ive said above was very easy to achieve and common sense also. Not doing it was done for 1 reason. Prioritising winning now over rebuilding.

Anyway back to living in the dreamland where the club can do no wrong

Clarke stated that we are not done trading and we are trying to get back into the draft... What options does anyone think we have? I know Norths pick 2 is up for grabs, will we go after that?

Last edited:
Clarke stated that we are not done trading and we are trying to get back into the draft... What options does anyone think we have? I know Norths pick 2 is up for grabs, will we go after that?
I doubt we can offer enough to entice North off pick 2. Theyll want picks this draft to take some talls surely, theyll prefer to split it down or if they cant then theyll just use it themselves on a tall id guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt we can offer enough to entice North off pick 2. Theyll want picks this draft to take some talls surely, theyll prefer to split it down or if they cant then theyll just use it themselves on a tall id guess
I was thinking 12 and the F1 we got from Hawthorn ( they might bite at that) . They'll still have access to a good tall at 12. and go into next year with 2 first round picks, and we can get access to one of the guns.

I am starting to hone in on the 2025 prospects to get an understanding on really rough rankings and what clubs might be looking to do with future picks

View attachment 2146664

View attachment 2146675
I am a visual person so fully colour in where a player is tied to a club and the name coloured just indicates where they are from (I should probably put the Sandy Dragons in a real mummy's colour of candy pink).

This is not about arguing the exact rankings as this is far from right but indicative I have taken from HUN and BF and alike. I have not had time for the rough ordering yet and will cover better closer to the draft.

Looking at the top end, there are loads of Norther Academy prospects (Suns x 3, Swans x 2 GWA x 1). It will b every important to see what the matching rules will be once the AFL releases more information.

Early days but I see the Suns have already got their 3 x F1 picks in place to get their potential 3 x top 10 prospects.

The Swans have 2 mid to late R1 prospects which is why they may be prepared to take a couple of F2 picks for one of their later R1 this year.

And here is my 2025 Future picks situation (obviously this will be being worked now and on draft night
View attachment 2146685

Our goal at this stage should 100% be to bring in a Sharp/Rodriguez, Warner then Match our NGA's.

can't imagine there is any way we end up with warner AND a top 5 pick next year
I think this would be possible depending where Hawks land and whether we would be willing to trade out some senior talent to help. If we were to finish last next year and Sharp remained a standout then it would be pretty easy to trade back a bit (remaining in the 5) and generating more capital for Warner.

However, assuming same ladder positions, we would end up with 3, 12, 21, 30, 39, 48.

Use 3 on a Rodriguez/Sharp/Duursma.
Trade 12, 21, F1 to Sydney for Warner (being generous to cover Hawks finishing higher)
Still leaves us with 30 (454), 39 (257), 48 (102) or 813 points for matching, which would enable us to match with the 84 point discount bids at 27, 33, 43 before trading back or combining picks.

The key here would be to try and turn that F1 into an F2 through better negotiation or offering pick 30 (with more points coming from trading out a senior player like a Kelly/Ryan/petch/B williams.

Risk of compo picks/hawks rising might be offset somewhat by chance of PP's.

1729294486611.png

I was thinking 12 and the F1 we got from Hawthorn ( they might bite at that) . They'll still have access to a good tall at 12. and go into next year with 2 first round picks, and we can get access to one of the guns.
12+hawks f1 for 2? They might do it if theyre desperate to split it.
Tbh id prefer to just use the hawks f1 on a pick closer to 20(or wherever it gets us), or our own f1 on a top 10 pick.
Dont really want to trade up the order this year

Our goal at this stage should 100% be to bring in a Sharp/Rodriguez, Warner then Match our NGA's.

I think this would be possible depending where Hawks land and whether we would be willing to trade out some senior talent to help. If we were to finish last next year and Sharp remained a standout then it would be pretty easy to trade back a bit (remaining in the 5) and generating more capital for Warner.

However, assuming same ladder positions, we would end up with 3, 12, 21, 30, 39, 48.

Use 3 on a Rodriguez/Sharp/Duursma.
Trade 12, 21, F1 to Sydney for Warner (being generous to cover Hawks finishing higher)
Still leaves us with 30 (454), 39 (257), 48 (102) or 813 points for matching, which would enable us to match with the 84 point discount bids at 27, 33, 43 before trading back or combining picks.

The key here would be to try and turn that F1 into an F2 through better negotiation or offering pick 30 (with more points coming from trading out a senior player like a Kelly/Ryan/petch/B williams.

Risk of compo picks/hawks rising might be offset somewhat by chance of PP's.

View attachment 2147317
Keeping our f1 next year AND getting Warner should be the ultimate goal, if we dont think we can accomplish it then we just have to move our f1 into this year for the best deal possible.

I dont trust Clarke to be able to negotiate his way into keeping our f1 at this stage unfortunately for obvious reasons

Assuming Richmond will only use the draft is dumb and stupid. We all know its a process. They will reach a stage when they are ready to trade in and the like but to suggest they should have done it this year like we were dumb enough to do is what we are arguing. I like most think we should have simply waited til 2025 to get the Liam Baker and Matt Owies types. Not just do it during the deepest draft in recent memory.

My plan would have been simple

Tell Liam Baker we are not interested. Tell Matt Owies the same. Take Jack Graham as a FA only
Throw a nuclear offer at Riley Garcia. Use F2nd from Hawks to get it done. If that fails trade for Dev but only use future picks (not F2nd but like F2nd for Dev + F3rd type deal)
Take 14 + F2nd for Barrass + F3rd type deal
Trade 14 + 61 with Sydney for 19 and 22
Go into draft with 3,19,22,26,68
Use 68 on Champoion and dont be dumb shits
In 2025 we go all out for Chad Warner.

What ive said above was very easy to achieve and common sense also. Not doing it was done for 1 reason. Prioritising winning now over rebuilding.

Anyway back to living in the dreamland where the club can do no wrong

Graham only came because Baker was too, so can cross him off too

But doing it this way (if the rest was at all possible) we end up with

3, 19, 22 and Garcia/Dev instead of 12, Hawks F1, F2, F3, Baker, Graham and Owies

Tbh I'm happy we have Baker and think he is exactly what our young team needs, a guy who cracks in all the time, but I think we overpaid undoubtedly and that's what screwed us mostly.

But I also don't think the difference in net result above is worth non stop melting and sooking about particularly as the draft is still to come and we really have no idea how it will all end up

Graham only came because Baker was too, so can cross him off too

But doing it this way (if the rest was at all possible) we end up with

3, 19, 22 and Garcia/Dev instead of 12, Hawks F1, F2, F3, Baker, Graham and Owies

Tbh I'm happy we have Baker and think he is exactly what our young team needs, a guy who cracks in all the time, but I think we overpaid undoubtedly and that's what screwed us mostly.

But I also don't think the difference in net result above is worth non stop melting and sooking about particularly as the draft is still to come and we really have no idea how it will all end up
Graham took a risk then, Baker was not locked in when he signed on

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back