List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

ESPN phantom draft is up.

Has us taking Archie Roberts despite Ollie Murphy still being on the board and then Clay Hall over the likes of Mitch Edwards who Dockers ended up matching outside the top 40. Would be annoying if they somehow landed Edwards as a sliding NGA whilst we miss out on Collard as a late riser!
I don't mind Roberts but would prefer others, whilst Hall should be our final pick or even rookie draft. Not fussed if we miss out on him over a higher potential player like Freijah, particularly considering he and Harley seem to play well together!...

Not sold on how they let most of the bids slide down the order.

Has us taking Archie Roberts despite Ollie Murphy still being on the board and then Clay Hall over the likes of Mitch Edwards who Dockers ended up matching outside the top 40. Would be annoying if they somehow landed Edwards as a sliding NGA whilst we miss out on Collard as a late riser!
I don't mind Roberts but would prefer others, whilst Hall should be our final pick or even rookie draft. Not fussed if we miss out on him over a higher potential player like Freijah, particularly considering he and Harley seem to play well together!...

Reid, Hastie and Freijah for mine.

Hall has very poor disposal and will be completing for game time with Reid.

Hastie smooth moving half back.

Freijah, outside mid to complement Reid and Ginbey.

Reid, Hastie and Freijah for mine.

Hall has very poor disposal and will be completing for game time with Reid.

Hastie smooth moving half back.

Freijah, :whitecheck: outside mid to complement Reid and Ginbey.

Would be very pleased if we were able to pick Freijah up, as you say he would very much compliment the mids that we currently have.

Perfect modern day wingman, is this lad.

Hastie's disposal worries me as he rarely hits his target he gets the line right, but not the length, he has a bad habit of either having his passes drop short, or sail over the head of his target.

If the Club thinks that they can teach him to develop some poise, to settle for two to three steps, after a long run and carry sprint, then kick he may have some chance.
It is always difficult to kick with good accuracy when running at full tilt, Peter Matera was a master at the slow poise to straighten up, before the long roost - Matera sets sail for home.

Hall gets a bit of a bum rapt on here, he has some very good footballing qualities, sure he a a couple of queries, but then again most of the kids have some too. Never dismiss the ability to find the ball, win the one on ones contests and then distribute the ball to abetter user.

They already have Darcy, Jackson, Reidy, and Knobel who are on the young side.
Getting Edwards as well would just create a log jam of rucks for them

They already have Darcy, Jackson, Reidy, and Knobel who are on the young side.
Getting Edwards as well would just create a log jam of rucks for them
Agree with you on that assessment.
I also don’t think he makes it out of the first 40, so The Violet Crumbles won’t get him regardless of list needs.

So, since the end of the season we’ve had posters crapping their daks that we might trade pick 1 and that the agenda was being driven by the Vic media.

Just have to say that if you look at it another way, we had pick 1 and told the world we’d trade it for a godfather offer. At no stage did we ever take it off the table. We then sat back and watched the Vic teams scramble to make offers.

We batted away each and every one of them, and told them to call us when it was worthwhile, all likely with the intention of never trading the pick!

There’s been three clubs that have wasted time and resources chasing the unattainable, and we’ve watched laughing, while we complete our list of 55 draftable players.

They may even come back again, but only North really has the currency to make a head turning offer of 2 & 3 or 2/3 & F1, and after everything that has gone on with jumper numbers, interviews, etc. I really can’t see pick 1 going anywhere. Maybe if it was done during the trade windows, but not now, not when everything is indicating he wants to be here and we want him.

We have been in the media nearly every single day since the end of the season. Some may view the subject matter as a negative, but the exposure has kept us in the spotlight. I’d much prefer this to the focus Freo has on losing players every year.

Surely the club is that calculated. Playing mind games with other sides, the media and league HQ, showing we’re no pushovers and won’t cave to agendas. I know this is just opinion, but I’d prefer to believe this than that we’re weak and have been used by the AFL and Vic clubs/media to drive their agenda.

Aside from all of this, commercially, the club will know that having Reid in blue and gold will increase national exposure, build an even greater supporter base and most importantly, add bucks to the coffers. High draftee’s sell jumpers, superstars sell jumpers, the hope is Reid will bloom from one to the other. Won’t be too long before the Reid #9 is selling as well as or better than Nic’s, as there’ll be a heap of Vic kids idolising him due to the media saturation he’ll receive.

Just wait for the stories each week or so about him training, playing, etc. the AFL site will not be able to help itself, he’s a massive story. He’ll be the one on the protein ads, he’ll be the face of the rising star, he’ll be in banner ads for the AFL on websites, he’ll get us better match times (albeit they’ll undoubtedly scheduled for the Vic audience) and through all of this, he’ll be wearing wings. Maybe a clean version of Bailey Smith.

He adds more value to the club than solely on field, Cant say the same for really any other player in this draft.

So maybe, just maybe, the club knows how to play the game when the stakes are high.

Just a thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard some talk that N.M could offer us 2,3 and FF for #1. We'd take that surely I think North would be a bit mad giving all that up.
Best for your health you stop listening to Sam McClure and John Ralph.

Put your Norf hat on - they realise they have a massive rebuild ahead of them and they have the picks to start doing it right.

That said, I believe they need to get busy doing trades for moving their 4 late to mid teens picks up the table and look at trading their pick 2 or 3 to Melbourne.

Looking at their list, midfielders are not high on their priority list. They cannot afford to take their current 5 x first rounders and go best available.

I love me some Judd but I don't want him anywhere near Reid on draft night. It's bad enough that the Victorian media are going to start the 'how long' stories the day after the draft without having a picture to attach to it.

I would love to see Cousins give Harley the #9 but garlic munchers makes a really good point about Cousins. I do wonder if we keep it simple by having Shuey present the jumper on draft night as a recenty retired Victorian boy spending his entire career at West Coast before the Cuz/NN pic at MRP when Harley gets to Perth.

So the Suns are holding
24 = 785 points
26 = 729
27 = 703
32 = 584
36 = 502
38 = 465

Likely clubs pursuing the picks are us plus

Lions with
30 = 639
39 = 446
51 = 259
54 = 220
67 = 69

Tigers with
29 = 653
41 = 412
5 = 90
68 = 59

Freo with
34 = 542
46 = 331

Drug Rats
31 = 606
35 = 522
61 = 135

Looking at a mix of points this year and future points (Suns love to bank the points) hence plenty of competition.

In terms of future picks, the Tigers and Frockers are best armed in that department

It will be very interesting to see how we go. Not being vindictive, I would have no problems if we get ignored to just bid on Walters with 1. It has not hurt Daicos to not be pick 1. We will be in a position next couple of years to be dealing with the Suns and there is no point being nice if you do not get the reward.

As a reminder, the benefit for not bidding at 1 means a savings of 386 points or pick 44

How do you balance the father son inequities?

That's what has caused this mess.
I'm okay with father son, northern academies matching I do have a problem with as it's not equal for all teams.
PP and compo picks pushes everyone's picks back prior to the draft, but the matched bids obviously push them even further during the night, so that's a different/additional problem.
It can be restorable as long as either no team can match within the top 40 or every club can.
Father son will often be based on luck, but every club will have the same opportunity in time.
Who would've been able to guess that Peter Matera's wouldn't even be WAFL quality.

Last edited:
So, since the end of the season we’ve had posters crapping their daks that we might trade pick 1 and that the agenda was being driven by the Vic media.

Just have to say that if you look at it another way, we had pick 1 and told the world we’d trade it for a godfather offer. At no stage did we ever take it off the table. We then sat back and watched the Vic teams scramble to make offers.

We batted away each and every one of them, and told them to call us when it was worthwhile, all likely with the intention of never trading the pick!

There’s been three clubs that have wasted time and resources chasing the unattainable, and we’ve watched laughing, while we complete our list of 55 draftable players.

They may even come back again, but only North really has the currency to make a head turning offer of 2 & 3 or 2/3 & F1, and after everything that has gone on with jumper numbers, interviews, etc. I really can’t see pick 1 going anywhere. Maybe if it was done during the trade windows, but not now, not when everything is indicating he wants to be here and we want him.

We have been in the media nearly every single day since the end of the season. Some may view the subject matter as a negative, but the exposure has kept us in the spotlight. I’d much prefer this to the focus Freo has on losing players every year.

Surely the club is that calculated. Playing mind games with other sides, the media and league HQ, showing we’re no pushovers and won’t cave to agendas. I know this is just opinion, but I’d prefer to believe this than that we’re weak and have been used by the AFL and Vic clubs/media to drive their agenda.

Aside from all of this, commercially, the club will know that having Reid in blue and gold will increase national exposure, build an even greater supporter base and most importantly, add bucks to the coffers. High draftee’s sell jumpers, superstars sell jumpers, the hope is Reid will bloom from one to the other. Won’t be too long before the Reid #9 is selling as well as or better than Nic’s, as there’ll be a heap of Vic kids idolising him due to the media saturation he’ll receive.

Just wait for the stories each week or so about him training, playing, etc. the AFL site will not be able to help itself, he’s a massive story. He’ll be the one on the protein ads, he’ll be the face of the rising star, he’ll be in banner ads for the AFL on websites, he’ll get us better match times (albeit they’ll undoubtedly scheduled for the Vic audience) and through all of this, he’ll be wearing wings. Maybe a clean version of Bailey Smith.

He adds more value to the club than solely on field, Cant say the same for really any other player in this draft.

So maybe, just maybe, the club knows how to play the game when the stakes are high.

Just a thought.
Needs to be grounded through all the coming hype, dare say he is...like NN.
But imagine how our young brigade feel, knowing he's arriving in their midst, what it does to their confidence. Invaluable. (presuming there's no plot twist)

I would like a fast tall defender in the Dylan Grimes mould please

Needs to be grounded through all the coming hype, dare say he is...like NN.
But imagine how our young brigade feel, knowing he's arriving in their midst, what it does to their confidence. Invaluable. (presuming there's no plot twist)
Reid and Ginbey on their first day together:

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back