List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

For the draft watchers, are you comfortable giving up Pick 1 for Curtin at 7?

Sid Drapper, Jagga Smith, Josh Smillie

Looking at you Monocle, AsterixTheGaul

I could live with it, however I believe we we are every chance to finish bottom four next year, maybe even hold pick 1 again, so it would be a decision not taken lightly.

There is however, something to be said for getting a group in early and bring them through together, I rate Curtin as a very good footballer and if we traded our F1, I would like something else back even if that meant giving this years current, second pick into the package.
Our F1 and 23 for GWS 7 pick and 16. ( Thats because many of the kids that I prefer in this cohort, rank between the 16-22 range)

Next year, we would also have the option of trading the following years F1, to get back into the first round.

At this point in time I have:

Smith
O'Sullivan
Smillie
Draper

As all being worthy top quality mids to open up the 2024 draft with.

Yeah curtain would be talked about as a mid for sure, who knows if it'd be in talks about the draft tho?
And we might be into busslinger but its a long bow to draw to say if we don't draft a kpd then we're into him.
And why is WA talent at the top end of the draft relevant to who the eagles will take next year?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If a highly rated WA player was rated top 5 next draft the Eagles would factor that into any decision.

You don't think it would?

I could live with it, however I believe we we are every chance to finish bottom four next year, maybe even hold pick 1 again, so it would be a decision not taken lightly.

There is however, something to be said for getting a group in early and bring them through together, I rate Curtin as a very good footballer and if we traded our F1, I would like something else back even if that meant giving this years current, second pick into the package.
Our F1 and 23 for GWS 7 pick and 16. ( Thats because many of the kids that I prefer, rank between the 16-22 range)

Next year, we would also have the option of trading the following years F1, to get back into the first round.

Smith
O'Sullivan
Smillie
Draper

I am not sure on Smillie don't like his hands.

O'Sullivan and Smith would be awesome for us compliment what we already have.

If we finish last do we have any players that can go to another club as free agents?

Like McKay did this year ?

If Yeo has a good year let him seek free agency if it gets us pick 2

For the draft watchers, are you comfortable giving up Pick 1 for Curtin at 7?

Sid Drapper, Jagga Smith, Josh Smillie

Looking at you Monocle, AsterixTheGaul

I think we have to be careful at drafting too many midfielders tbh, so I understand the clubs decision to try go for Curtin.

With that being said, I think keeping our F1 and splitting it next year probably is the smarter and less riskier play.

I’m content with whatever route we choose.

If we finish last do we have any players that can go to another club as free agents?

Smith would be my pick, so clever, kids going to be an A grade star, think Josh Kelly.

Yeah I get the Smillie doubts and its just such early days, thing I like about him is things happen when he is around the ball, however the queries over him are also the same as Curtin, at 194 cm just where is Smilies best position at the next level.

Nice thought about the Yeo / Mckay concept, but surely no Clubs stupid enough, to fork out the sort of contract offer, to get us band 1 compo.

To get band 1 we’d need someone to be offering $850-900k per year to the likes of Gaff, Yeo or Duggan which is unlikely

To add to that, if we target a FA from elsewhere, English for example, we’d get no compo anyway

Smith would be my pick, so clever, kids going to be an A grade star, think Josh Kelly.

Yeah I get the Smillie doubts and its just such early days, thing I like about him is things happen when he is around the ball, however the queries over him are also the same as Curtin, at 194 cm just where is Smilies best position at the next level.

Nice thought about the Yeo / Mckay concept, but surely no Clubs stupid enough, to fork out the sort of contract offer, to get us band 1 compo.

Not for a 30 yr old no.

McKay is only 26.

It is a major factor in the compo formula.......or so the rumours go anyway.

Our F1 and 23 for GWS 7 pick and 16. ( Thats because many of the kids that I prefer in this cohort, rank between the 16-22 range)

Smith
O'Sullivan
Smillie
Draper

Isn't pick purchasing coming into effect next year? If you've trading out a first rounder the year prior, will be interesting what the dynamics are to buy a pick. I gather the cost will be linked to the current points system. But this is conceivably a way of taking the risk for now knowing we will have plenty of cap space to pick purchase in the next 2 drafts.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting 16 off GWS as well will allow us to nab DeMattia, good fit and comes over with Harley

I reckon getting 16 would get us Charlie Edwards who I rate much higher.

Personally I would pick Goad and Dawson before DeMattia.

Getting 16 off GWS as well will allow us to nab DeMattia, good fit and comes over with Harley

It’d be nice to get 16, in exchange for 23, as part of the deal but I just can’t see it happening

If we want Curtin bad enough it’ll cost us our F1 and if I was GWS pick 7 is all I’m giving up

Hopefully Moir goes better than Tom Lamb.
I meet a guy connected to Tom's family, apparently wasn't the greatest up bringing hence the grandfather so involved. That one doesn't surprise me that much.

Moir, can't tell if it was the hip or not. Last year he was amazing.

To get band 1 we’d need someone to be offering $850-900k per year to the likes of Gaff, Yeo or Duggan which is unlikely

To add to that, if we target a FA from elsewhere, English for example, we’d get no compo anyway
Band 1 will be a lot higher with the new CBA anyway.

None of the 3 players this year Mckay, Dodee, Gresham would have been top 5 percent players normally.

Not for a 30 yr old no.

McKay is only 26.

It is a major factor in the compo formula.......or so the rumours go anyway.

Agree with your post.

ARGH yes the compo formula unpacked, apparently a complex notion that, of course Mamma Kane could always explain/justify how North were gifted pick 3, I am sure if she took her blue and white slippers off, she would come up with some deflective comment, to keep the secrecy in place.

Add Reid & Curtin (using FF) this year and I think we have nice little core of good young players.

Go hard at free agents English and Zuharr to dull the pain of shitty 2024 draft.

Top up with a 1-6 draft pick in 2025 and Sam Taylor (Logan can be be his biartch).

Then prepare to hear we are "Flying High" with monotonous regularity, whilst Freo adopts as its new theme song in 2027, Rebuilding My Ruins by Kalley.

"You're rebuilding my ruins one by one, one by one".

Would be happy with Goad or Dawson at our second pick

Two great options there RE, sadly I think they will both be off the board before our second.

Two great options there RE, sadly I think they will both be off the board before our second.
Depends on trades if certain clubs trade can see both dropping to that pick

I thought last year we should not of drafted Harry Barnett because ruckman this year are so good.

I think this year draft of ruckman is the best of all time.

Viggo probably the 5th to be drafted looks a talent as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back