List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Just watch the Johnston highlights of him for Vic metro v wa
Got 29 touches but very few were clean or damaging. Very small sample size obviously
Do we think he's a good pick up?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's the one I'm not so sure on but Eastcoasteagle likes him, so that's enough for me.

Combine results for our main draft recruits for those who care.
Still working on our new nippy rookie forward.

* I had to be measured accurately recently and coincidentally, I'm exactly the same height as Clay Hall. Superstar incoming. (I'm mid 40's and have already shrunk a bit...The balls hang lower though ;))

ame
DOTClubDOBPositionAgeHeightMassArmHandReachAbsVJAbsRunVJ_RAbsRunVJ_LVJRunVJ_RRunVJ_L5m10m20mAgil2Kmin2Ksec2K
Hall, Clay06-Oct-23Peel Thunder12/5/2005Medium Midfielder18.4188.887.282.621.0238
Johnston, Harvey06-Oct-23Sandringham Dragons18/8/2005Medium Forward18.118378.785.2222402973023135762731.0521.8153.0488.3990617377
Reid, Archer06-Oct-23Gippsland Power19/9/2005Tall Forward18.1203.193.593.724.42613233423426281811.1821.9123.1828.9020648408
Reid, Harley06-Oct-23Bendigo Pioneers17/4/2005Medium Midfielder18.5186.585.485.422.5243

Its not just the access to the kids that is the advantage though. It is the development opportunities as well. Rogers was talking about how he went to training, was having meetings with the team and pretty much living the life of an AFL player. Its a huge advantage getting that sort of development at that age.
11 of 22 u16 All Australian team are from the 4 Northern academies. There was 1 WA kid. WA kids are struggling to keep up with the academy programs.
Maybe the WAFL should get its shit together then.

Ooohhhh, this is gonna be good
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

also, almost half the population is already eligible for just the northern academies.
They are, but it's "easier" and far more lucrative to play rugby league as a junior. Sign your first contract at 15/16 for actual $$$, and have free medical coverage through your junior career. Get to choose which club you sign for at 18, no draft uncertainty, no rookie pay scale, if you're a top player.

We tried to get Kaylen Ponga in to our academy, but he signed a 4 year deal with North QLD when he was 15, then at 18 he's offered a $3.6m 5 year deal by Newcastle.

I don't follow League, so I'm not defending it, but AFL is literally the least attractive sport to play as a junior and parent in the northern states. It costs to be in a northern academy, on top of your junior club fees, where as you're earning money as a junior in one of the NRL or Rugby Union colts programs.

Last edited:
Interesting explanation on why GWS didn’t want our future first

Didn’t rate Curtin or caddy at all

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's like just one power hungry nerd having full control. Didn't look like much discussion from anyone else. Don't like that way of recruiting with one person's opinion on talent dictating what they do. No wonder they picked an random outsider that no one expected. Recruiting Manager is on a one man power trip loving the sound of his own voice.

Its not just the access to the kids that is the advantage though. It is the development opportunities as well. Rogers was talking about how he went to training, was having meetings with the team and pretty much living the life of an AFL player. Its a huge advantage getting that sort of development at that age.
11 of 22 u16 All Australian team are from the 4 Northern academies. There was 1 WA kid. WA kids are struggling to keep up with the academy programs.
Yeah, you might want to read some f the comments on the draft board about that team.

First, every teams MVP from both div 1 and div 2 were automatic inclusions in that AA team. 4 academies plus the NT and Tas in div 2, so that's 6 automatic inclusions in the AA team.

Then GC came second in Div 2, where the Lions beat them by 7 goals. GC had 5 members in the AA team to the Lions 2. Quite a few comments on the draft board, especially where some draft watchers put together their alternative AA team, on merit.

Further to this Country and briztoon , GC actually traded some of their excess rnd 3 picks for future rnd 3 picks which were not mentioned in your above diatribe.

I honestly believe it got to the point GC had rorted the system that much, they passed prematurely on their last couple of picks. If you actually look at the picks they passed on, other clubs were still trading up after that, they could have easily got another F4 or 2.
This factually incorrect. GC hold 1 future round 3 pick they received from Carlton in the Elijah Hollands trade. They did trade pick 51 to Brisbane for a future round 4 pick.

Gold Coast 2024 picks from the AFL website.
Round one pick GC
Round one pick (tied to Western Bulldogs)
End of round one (North Melbourne assistance)
Round two pick GC
Round two pick (tied to Brisbane, received from Hawthorn)
Round three pick (tied to Essendon, received from Carlton)
Round four pick (tied to Brisbane)

Will be interesting to see how Gothard goes given they rated him so highly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure if he turns out good they can score a decent pick for him when he inevitably requests a trade.
Boo this comment.

They're going places plus they post the hottest memes of any club. Get behind them!

It's like just one power hungry nerd having full control. Didn't look like much discussion from anyone else. Don't like that way of recruiting with one person's opinion on talent dictating what they do. No wonder they picked an random outsider that no one expected. Recruiting Manager is on a one man power trip loving the sound of his own voice.
Other clubs definitely rated Gothard similarly.

I don't get why we would trade 2 similar picks for 1.
We must have been very desperate.

I do wonder how creative we got with the future first before the trade period ended and wonder if it was a case of being too slow to get in before all clubs were settled on their picks.

That is, with all clubs who had picks in the range that gws would have been prepared to slide to.

GWS swapped R1 picks with Adelaide

Moved back from 8 to 11 whilst moving up from 17 to 15

They received Adelaide’s F2 to balance out the trade

(For comparison Essendon gave Geelong pick 31 to move up one spot)

GWS then gave up their F2 to move up from what had now become 18 to 17

Now they got their two targets (Gothard and Leake) but by trading down they only bettered their trade hand by holding Adelaide’s F2 instead of their own. That’s it

Could have traded their pick 8 to WCE for our F1 and still got Gothard (but not Leake). If they were nervy on Gothard they still could have used their F2 to move up a spot or two like they did for Leake

In essence they’ve taken Leake now with a minor F2 upgrade, instead of holding our F1 which will almost certainly be a top 4 pick

Some people were pissed we were giving up our F1 for Curtin. GWS did it for Leake

GWS swapped R1 picks with Adelaide

Moved back from 8 to 11 whilst moving up from 17 to 15

They received Adelaide’s F2 to balance out the trade

(For comparison Essendon gave Geelong pick 31 to move up one spot)

GWS then gave up their F2 to move up from what had now become 18 to 17

Now they got their two targets (Gothard and Leake) but by trading down they only bettered their trade hand by holding Adelaide’s F2 instead of their own. That’s it

Could have traded their pick 8 to WCE for our F1 and still got Gothard (but not Leake). If they were nervy on Gothard they still could have used their F2 to move up a spot or two like they did for Leake

In essence they’ve taken Leake now with a minor F2 upgrade, instead of holding our F1 which will almost certainly be a top 4 pick

Some people were pissed we were giving up our F1 for Curtin. GWS did it for Leake
Thank for for articulating that better than I could the other day. They must really rate Leake.

They are, but it's "easier" and far more lucrative to play rugby league as a junior. Sign your first contract at 15/16 for actual $$$, and have free medical coverage through your junior career. Get to choose which club you sign for at 18, no draft uncertainty, no rookie pay scale, if you're a top player.

We tried to get Kaylen Ponga in to our academy, but he signed a 4 year deal with North QLD when he was 15, then at 18 he's offered a $3.6m 5 year deal by Newcastle.

I don't follow League, so I'm not defending it, but AFL is literally the least attractive sport to play as a junior and parent in the northern states. It costs to be in a northern academy, on top of your junior club fees, where as you're earning money as a junior in one of the NRL or Rugby Union colts programs.
Cry me a river.

Eight million living in NSW, exclusive rights to two teams. Not just remote or specific backgrounds, everyone. How many are eligible in the selective zones and ethnicities of the teams in the traditional footy playing states. A mere fraction is my guess, and then we have to hope they are good, but not too good.

Discounts on picks and over valued low picks giving very cheap access to top end talent to the Northern States. Kids coming through the pathways who were never going to be lost to the sport e.g. Walter and Hodges boy.

The ability to treat players as one of the team for years before even being drafted, because that is the certainty the Northern states have.

Not going to try and defend the Northern academies,
Also, when you wrote this, I assume you were just trying to be cute.

The one thing I will give is that the Victorian clubs do love to raid the Northerners and it is not their fault the AFL is so incompetent that the more they try ‘even’ things the more they feck things up.

He's the one I'm not so sure on but Eastcoasteagle likes him, so that's enough for me.
Bearing in mind he was pick 49, so don't expect an absolute gun.
But he's a good player and think he can be a player for us, moves really well and keeps the ball moving. Wing/half-forward at afl level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back