List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

BOND 007 Do we see hall as a Redden/oliver type player, The 4x4 you take bush bashing to not damage the Ferraris in Reid Hewett and Ginbey?

The NGA/Northern Academies/Father Son issue can essentially be solved by recalibrating the points system

As it stands a bid at pick 1 can be matched with pick 2. Or with picks 13 and 24. Or a bunch of R2 picks if a club can collect enough

It’s unrealistic and bears no resemblance the the true value of picks

So change the points such that a bid for pick 1 would require a couple of top 10 picks to match. A top 10 bid likely needs a couple of top 20 picks. A top 20 pick needs a couple in the 20’s to match and so on

Then put in a couple of checks - maximum of 2 picks to match and in addition to forcing a club to hold no more picks than they have list spots don’t allow them to trade for additional picks once the draft starts like the Suns did

Because of the more onerous requirements allow clubs to use future picks to match based on their current year ladder position. Gives clubs lower down the ladder an advantage when matching

Then treat all of the clubs the same - remove the inability to match inside the top 40. Then all clubs are equal

Scrap FA compensation or at a minimum keep any compensation out if R1. Remove the attachment of picks to ladder position - so middle of R2, end of R2, middle of R3, end of R3. Maybe use a start of R2 pick as Band 1

And no priority picks unless there are exceptional circumstances outside the club’s control. Bad list management like we’ve seen from North, and us, shouldn’t be grounds for a helping hand

Applying the above to this years draft:

• No PP for North
• All 3 FA compo picks are beginning of R2 or later
• Gold Coast would have needed something like 4x R1 picks and 4x R2 picks to match. Maybe 5x R1 picks. Means that the additional picks created by the bid are balanced by the picks going out to match from this years or next years draft
• Similar for the other academy and F/S bids

Instead of pick 30, our R2 pick becomes more of a low 20’s pick at worst and we could match a Collard bid

That’s not particularly complex and far less compromised than it has become

I 100% agree on everything you have said.

It is no more complicated than what is existing and could easily be passed off as a few minor tweaks to the existing system, allowing Laura and Dillon to make themselves look good.

The NGA/Northern Academies/Father Son issue can essentially be solved by recalibrating the points system

As it stands a bid at pick 1 can be matched with pick 2. Or with picks 13 and 24. Or a bunch of R2 picks if a club can collect enough

It’s unrealistic and bears no resemblance the the true value of picks

So change the points such that a bid for pick 1 would require a couple of top 10 picks to match. A top 10 bid likely needs a couple of top 20 picks. A top 20 pick needs a couple in the 20’s to match and so on

Then put in a couple of checks - maximum of 2 picks to match and in addition to forcing a club to hold no more picks than they have list spots don’t allow them to trade for additional picks once the draft starts like the Suns did

Because of the more onerous requirements allow clubs to use future picks to match based on their current year ladder position. Gives clubs lower down the ladder an advantage when matching

Then treat all of the clubs the same - remove the inability to match inside the top 40. Then all clubs are equal

Scrap FA compensation or at a minimum keep any compensation out if R1. Remove the attachment of picks to ladder position - so middle of R2, end of R2, middle of R3, end of R3. Maybe use a start of R2 pick as Band 1

And no priority picks unless there are exceptional circumstances outside the club’s control. Bad list management like we’ve seen from North, and us, shouldn’t be grounds for a helping hand

Applying the above to this years draft:

• No PP for North
• All 3 FA compo picks are beginning of R2 or later
• Gold Coast would have needed something like 4x R1 picks and 4x R2 picks to match. Maybe 5x R1 picks. Means that the additional picks created by the bid are balanced by the picks going out to match from this years or next years draft
• Similar for the other academy and F/S bids

Instead of pick 30, our R2 pick becomes more of a low 20’s pick at worst and we could match a Collard bid

That’s not particularly complex and far less compromised than it has become
Reasonable, logical & common sense solution.

So naturally the AFL would never do it

Alastair Clarkson 2 hour meeting with the Curtins predraft
Rocked up 1/2 hour earlier than scheduled. Walked straight through the front door, no knock.
Mrs C a little rattled, tells Mr C to pop the kettle on while she gets ready properly for guests.
Al says hi to parents and to young 'Dean', whist sitting down in Mr C's favourite recliner in the lounge.
Al pulls out the old slide projector. After 15+ mins greasing the wheels they finally get it kinda working. Was stuck on a pic of Al smiling for a while.
Next 60+mins?, who knows, laborious, Al shows slides of premiership glory days, with a few players featured on the MCG post match.
A lot featuring Cyril for unknown reasons. Mr C starts to snore. Mrs C being polite, (and a little scared)
Final slide was Al king hitting Ian Aitkin in the Battle of Britain 'exhibition' match. Projector got stuck there.
Al stood up immediately, smashed the projector down, then said 'thanks Don, good luck' to young Curtin.
Walked out, muttered 'did I say Curts, I meant Campaigner?'?
Whole trip was Al testing NM heirarchy to see how much they'd bend $ wise to his whims

Edit; Alastair walked in and out upright through the doggy door..apologies

Last edited:
Not going to try and defend the Northern academies, but if they are going to wind back the NGA concessions, then they need to make it the same rules for all 14 clubs, because it’s so open to be rorted as well.

McGrath at Essendon would be nga eligible, so to Erasmus at Freo.

Almost 50% of Australia’s current population would be eligible, according to the latest census, as one of the requirements is being born overseas, or have one parent born overseas.

Mind you, if all the fricken Victorian clubs stopped poaching Gold Coast’s draftees, they’d probably be a top 4 club at the moment, and wouldn’t have been able to match all 4 kids.

So why all the hoohaa?

Because the AFL jumped at shadows when the other Victorian clubs whinged about the Bulldogs getting JUH.
I get theres been heaps of poaching.. at the same time with all the concessions and how poorly they've performed they can't afford to pay all these players so its always going to be a revolving door.
When these 4 guys need to get paid there'll be more out the door

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So if my count is correct

22 or younger = 21 players
22-25 = 5 players
25-30 = 12 players
30+ = 5 players

Guernsey Numbers plus info at end on contracts

Ferrari with a bull bar :cool:
86zned.jpg

I'm going to speak purely from a West Coast point of view here but whats the point of having an academy and developing players if we are not eligible to draft them? It's almost like we were punished for Collard being too good.

The points system is also completely broken, allowing Gold Coast or any other team to make a mockery out of the draft by continuing to swap a low pick into picks further and further down the line is why clubs are pissed as well. If they are required to pay a fair price with what they have it wouldn't be as much a concern.

The other thing that pisses me off is the double standards. We are told time and time again the northern academies are required to attract local talent that would be lost to other codes (NRL) and yet we see blatant manipulation of it. Was Walter really going to play NRL after growing up playing footy in W.A? Does Luke Hodges boy really need to be part of the Lions academy?

If we are zoned and can only develop indigenous boys and people born overseas then they should be limited to at the very least to NSW & QLD born and bred and indigenous and born overseas. Seems like anyone can join a bloody northern academy though.

That's fine, the northern states have taken advantage of the system in place, most clubs would have but as a result the rest of the competition is now pissed and demanding change and it's about bloody time.

I don't have too much of an issue with the 20 percent discount but the above needs to be addressed and dealt with.

Can't eat your cake and have it too.

Last edited:
as the academy issue needs addressing the F/S system, while a joy and heartening, has no place in a professional comp.

I understand the sentiment and it's uneven but to be fair we've had plenty of potential father and sons candidates, sadly most haven't been up to the standard of being drafted though.

I like the romanticism of father and son, i just wish we were better at developing future stars. Is the club not doing enough in this space?

I'm going to speak purely from a West Coast point of view here but whats the point of having an academy and developing players if we are not eligible to draft them? It's almost like we were punished for Collard being too good.

The points system is also completely broken, allowing Gold Coast or any other team to make a mockery out of the draft by continuing to swap a low pick into picks further and further down the line is why clubs are pissed as well. If they are required to pay a fair price with what they have it wouldn't be as much a concern.

The other thing that pisses me off is the double standards. We are told time and time again the northern academies are required to attract local talent that would be lost to other codes (NRL) and yet we see blatant manipulation of it. Was Walter really going to play NRL after growing up playing footy in W.A? Does Luke Hodges boy really need to be part of the Lions academy?

If we are zoned and can only develop indigenous boys and people born overseas then they should be limited to at the very least to NSW & QLD born and bred and indigenous and born overseas. Seems like anyone can join a bloody northern academy though.

That's fine, the northern states have taken advantage of the system in place, most clubs would have but as a result the rest of the competition is now pissed and demanding change and it's about bloody time.

I don't have too much of an issue with the 20 percent discount but the above needs to be addressed and dealt with.

Can't eat your cake and have it too.
There's very little incentive to develop players or maybe we have to be more proactive at 'managing' them..especially if we think they'll attract interest before the line drawn by the afl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's very little incentive to develop players or maybe we have to be more proactive at 'managing' them..especially if we think they'll attract interest before the line drawn by the afl

I had thought of that but then we are never allowing them to reach their full potential and that doesn't sit right with me.

Fix the system and make it fairer for all clubs. Fairer for them to develop talent and fairer for the other 17 clubs when those players are drafted.

Buried at the end of the jumper number announcement

Meanwhile, the Eagles have confirmed midfielder Zane Trew, Tyrell Dewar and Jordyn Baker have signed one-year contract extensions for 2024.

Trew will remain on the rookie list for a fourth season, while Baker has been upgraded to the rookie list from the category B rookie list to create room for Naitanui Academy product Coen Livingstone.

Dewar will remain on the category B rookie list for next year.

Small whinge incoming

Overall the club has been pretty good this off season with their content. Especially around the draft and the new draftees

But updating fans on contract information is base level stuff. There’s no reason why that information shouldn’t be released once it’s signed and it’s been two weeks or so since splinter’s reported those players had been offered new deals

It’s also the sort of thing that should be on its own release not part of
something totally unrelated

Whinge over

Just watch the Johnston highlights of him for Vic metro v wa
Got 29 touches but very few were clean or damaging. Very small sample size obviously
Do we think he's a good pick up?

Hes meant to be a pretty good kick, good work rate, and pretty agile(according to the RMC rookie guide thing). I dont know if he will be much at AFL level, but could see himself on a wing or at hff. We probably lack players for this role
Until I see him play at AFL im hopeful.
Cant go too far wrong with pick 49 anyway

Small whinge incoming

Overall the club has been pretty good this off season with their content. Especially around the draft and the new draftees

But updating fans on contract information is base level stuff. There’s no reason why that information shouldn’t be released once it’s signed and it’s been two weeks or so since splinter’s reported those players had been offered new deals

Whinge over

MEANWHILE

I understand the sentiment and it's uneven but to be fair we've had plenty of potential father and sons candidates, sadly most haven't been up to the standard of being drafted though.

I like the romanticism of father and son, i just wish we were better at developing future stars. Is the club not doing enough in this space?

Need to get Josh Hill working as a development coach specifically regarding this area ;)

Don't condone it in all seriousness but the more lotto tickets you buy, the better shot you have

Small whinge incoming

Whinge over

Could it be that they were basically in a holding pattern until the Rookie draft was done?

I mean it’s really only news for the Trew believers isn’t it?

Could it be that they were basically in a holding pattern until the Rookie draft was done?

I mean it’s really only news for the Trew believers isn’t it?

Contracts were all sorted before the draft

The number of selections we had in each of the main draft and rookie draft aligned with those players being contracted

If they weren’t contracted we would have had extra selections and they would have appeared as delisted players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back