List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

I get why people are pessimistic about our position next year, but why cant we be better? We werent bottom because our players suck, we were bottom 2 because we were down to the last couple of players on our list for many weeks, with a bunch of our absolute best players missing significant portions of the year.
It wouldnt be silly to expect that to be different next year. If we get Yeo to play 11-15 games, Gov to play 18+, Barrass to play 20+, Darling fit, BJW as another big target down forward, Flynn in the ruck, Ryan back, etc we are straight up not a bottom 2 or 3 team.
Another year into Ginbey, Hewett, Chesser, Maric, etc, we have some depth all of a sudden.

I think trading our F1 in a trade that values the pick at 1 or 2 would be very astute trading.

Worst case we finish bottom 2 again, our 2025 F1 would be valued quite highly again, we could always try to bring that into 2024 for a top 5 pick

I firmly believe that us not being competitive is almost solely down to the personnel available, we were playing and relying on guys who probably shouldnt even be playing AFL. Swapping guys like West, Clark, etc out for a few senior guys and talented kids will be huge.
IMO only way we can possibly be bottom 2 next year is if we get destroyed by injury again
I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.
Who are we going to be better than next year other than possibly Norf?
We were crap last season because our midfield sucks and we went into the year thinking we were going to get fullish seasons from all our older, injury prone players. And guess what, our older, injury prone players were injury prone and didn't play full seasons, what an absolute shock.
We've got a good lot of young players coming through but most are way too young and inexperienced to play major roles next year.
And banking on getting good seasons from our older, injury prone players hasn't worked for the last couple of years, don't think it's going to shoot us up the ladder this year.

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.
Who are we going to be better than next year other than possibly Norf?
We were crap last season because our midfield sucks and we went into the year thinking we were going to get fullish seasons from all our older, injury prone players. And guess what, our older, injury prone players were injury prone and didn't play full seasons, what an absolute shock.
We've got a good lot of young players coming through but most are way too young and inexperienced to play major roles next year.
And banking on getting good seasons from our older, injury prone players hasn't worked for the last couple of years, don't think it's going to shoot us up the ladder this year.
yeah im huffing on some good copium for sure lol.

Im expecting senior guys like Gov, Ryan, etc(not Yeo) to play 80%+ of the season, I dont think thats too much to expect. Entirely hinges on the injury list.

yeah im huffing on some good copium for sure lol.

Im expecting senior guys like Gov, Ryan, etc(not Yeo) to play 80%+ of the season, I dont think thats too much to expect. Entirely hinges on the injury list.
I think we'll be a lot more competitive and I don't think we'll get blown out as much next season but we're still going to be pretty bad. I'm expecting bottom 2, and I reckon it'll be a miracle if we're out of the bottom 4.

Last edited:
What about our midfield though? We were so far behind in stoppages, clearances and contested posessions that I don't see us having the midfield to compete next year. We would need prime Yeo, 2018 finals series Sheed, Hewett building elite endurance in a preseason, Reid being the mesiah and Ginbey learning to hunt the ball first, even to be a chance to win 8-10 games. Sure if that all happens we may win enough to move out of the bottom 4.

BTW I wasn't comparing them. I was saying that with all the champions we have lost in the last couple of seasons it was inevitable we hit the bottom and have to rebuild. As I said I expect us to climb in 2025 just don't think we are ready yet.

I don't like talking us down and maybe I'm a little pessimistic after the dissapointment of the last two seasons but I think it is unreasonable to expect us to climb too much next season. Remember people were saying the same things at the start of last season.

One thing to remember is that part of our midfield issue last year was us being monstered in the ruck.

With Williams' improvement & Flynn coming over surely at least halving the ruck will be an instant improvement.

y'all are really overly normalising the last two years we've had. it's been extraordinary that we've been down to our last couple of fit players to make a League level 22, (for two years in a row!), and that's exactly what's produced a percentage of 53%.

We've had 15 players on our injury list for half the season while other teams have had two!

I'm all for being realistic about accepting where we are at, but equally we need to be realistic about what we have endured and going from 55% to 75-80% is not an acceptable improvement next year.

He went too far, could see it coming, I hit the report button as quickly as humanly possible. 🥳🥳🥳

First time I've done that in all my years on the forum (I did report myself once after too many bourbons too in SFA forum 😆)

He drove me nuts
Dealt with the false prophet you have.:thumbsu:
Dune Movie Blink GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

He'll be back. There's always another..........

Dumb Ass GIF by Law Office of Robert Eckard

y'all are really overly normalising the last two years we've had. it's been extraordinary that we've been down to our last couple of fit players to make a League level 22, (for two years in a row!), and that's exactly what's produced a percentage of 53%.

We've had 15 players on our injury list for half the season while other teams have had two!

I'm all for being realistic about accepting where we are at, but equally we need to be realistic about what we have endured and going from 55% to 75-80% is not an acceptable improvement next year.
What's your pass mark for next year then?

The injuries we can sort, it’s the lack of leadership and accountability for the last 3-5 years thats lead us to this predicament. And that’s from the CEO, Coach and players.

Hopefully this isn’t a hole that takes too long to get out because just acquiring talent doesn’t do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Improved percentage and playing competitively. last time we won the spoon, from memory, we lost several game in the last quarter - but no huge thrashings. We need to see team development over just wins and losses. This makes FI a valuable comodity.

I don’t think any value should be placed on maximising our F1 once in season, a few wins for confidence certainly wouldn’t go astray in 2024 as we hopefully at least begin our upswing

Yep, but what has he shown to be ranked ahead of Reid, Mckercher or Walter? Even Duursma, Watson, Sanders etc have had better seasons. It's no coincidence that he is slipping down draft orders now that we are looking like taking Reid.

We can make an informed guess based on all of this. Again, if he wasn't West Australian and if the victorian media weren't collectively trying to manifest us into not taking Reid then he wouldn't even be considered a remote option by us based on his output and our needs.

Plus with the obvious media bias to have us take Curtin I suggest the ratings for Curtin have hovered around our 1st rounder.

If we had pick 7 Curtin would be ranked around pick 6 or 7.

Improved percentage and playing competitively. last time we won the spoon, from memory, we lost several game in the last quarter - but no huge thrashings. We need to see team development over just wins and losses. This makes FI a valuable comodity.

If we do trade a F1st this year or next they are picks 1 to 4.

We are not climbing ahead of 4 other clubs.

So clubs trading for our F1st will be pretty confident they will get a top 3 pick, potentially pick 1.

I am a little better the devil you know with this draft.
We know what picks we have ATM this draft, the best, a good and some average.
We know everyone expects us to struggle again next year and finish down the bottom.
We know what players are available this year and what they pretty much offer.
We know our F1 holds great currency.
We know we have been down the bottom, badly for 2 years, and the club and supporters really don'y like it.

If we can move up this draft by using our F1 and even our second this year to get a 5-10 pick, 10-15 pick and a early-mid 2nd rounder this year I would be more than ok with that.
Use the 2021/22/23 drafted players as the nucleus of the next premiership team.

Yes we are at a low point but do we really want to start next season with the mindset we are going to finish bottom 4 and look to the draft, again.
08/09/10 was our three worst consecutive finishes, 15th, 11th,16th.
We are about to smash that if we finish bottom again next year.
I say F-That.

I know it would be a bit of a miracle but I would prefer nail 3 players and a smokey or 2 this draft, finish 9-14th next year but be well and truly ready to attack for finals the following year.

BTW, yes I am an optimist.

You are an optimist.

Kids we draft in two weeks wont drive us up the ladder next season.

Fitness levels and attitude of the existing group could.

Id be keen on a F1st trade with Melbourne. I can see them drop out the top 8 if they cant get that culture under control.

Or the Crows.

So clubs trading for our F1st will be pretty confident they will get a top 3 pick, potentially pick 1.

Id be keen on a F1st trade with Melbourne. I can see them drop out the top 8 if they cant get that culture under control.

Likely our pick 3 (next year) for Melbourne's pick 6 (this year) and pick 10 (next year) if it ended up that way would be OK.

I reckon this is one of the "live trade if Curtin slides to 6" scenarios.

I see we're back at blaming injuries for our club demise again.

Nothing to do with list management, poor development, poor coaching, club decisions, lack of accountability and standards both on and off the field dropping.

It's actually all just a long string of unprecedented bad luck. Pencil us in for top 4 errbody ✏️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back