• 6, 10, 11, 14

• 6, 10, 14, 18

• 6, 11, 14, 18

• 6, 10, 11, 26 & WCE 2025 R2

• 6, 10, 18, 26 & WCE 2025 R2

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know the whys and the wherefores like everyone else, but I think the timing may be hold an insight.

Is it coincidence that the trade was made after news broke that Sharp had requested a move to Melbourne?

Is it a coincidence that the trade was made just before Brisbane traded its future second and a pick in the 70s to Carlton for 34 and 66 almost immediately after trading 20?

If Sharp and Robertson are moved for third round picks, and Brisbane do the Carlton deal (nothing stopping Brisbane trading a future second at any stage); it would eat heavily into the points it requires to match any bids.

Suddenly both the amount of picks needed to satisfy Brisbane’s needs for points is drastically reduced, and more teams are in a position to make a move for 20.

IMO we paid a premium to ensure we got the pick ahead of anyone else. There was no incentive for Brisbane to necessarily get the deal done this early, and Richmond would - on face value - seem to be better keeping its picks until after the Rioli, Bolton and Baker trades were completed.

Think we’d all be up in arms if another team found a way to jump in for 20 and I think the path for doing so would have been more open in a few days time.

I agree going to the draft with those 4 picks would’ve been a disaster.

Whilst i do think we over paid for the picks considering what we had and the ability to bid on Ashcroft o also believe there was a calculated decision to pay the extra cost to get the pick #20 and it was a valuable asset to have in that range for various reasons.

Might have been critical to be used to move upto #2 or #3
Maybe we have a player that we believe will be in that range we dont want to miss out on and have to reach with another pick if the club believes we will get #10 + #11 for Shai and #6 for Rioli

So if we are holding 1 , 6 , 10 , 11 and say we want Shannahan and believe he will be at that pick the extra we paid to get him or which ever player that is the target could be worth the extra

I was thinking about this earlier in terms of what I think we'd be willing to give up for pick 2.
6 and 11 feels like a lot, especially in this draft.
6 and 13 for some reason doesn't feel like a lot.

It's weird.

I'd be horrified if we ended up losing out on FOS. I still think we should take him at 1.
I want FOS too but the Lalor talk is strong. In this scenario 6 is one of Langford, Draper, Smillie or Jagga, and 11 is probably Berry, Allan, Lindsay, maybe Armstrong or Hotton. Which do you prefer? I'm going FOS. I'll already have Lalor, probably get one of Berry, Allan, Lindsay at 10, and have 20, 23 and 24 for a Whitlock or two, and/or Hannaford. Even if we didn't get 18 from Freo and all we get is 26 and a F2 for Bakes.

Lalor, FOS, Berry, J.Whitlock, Hannaford, Sims, Dattoli. That'd do.

Last edited:
It's a pure hunch, but as you seem to be "in the know"
You've fooled another one Tigerbob

Proud Season 8 GIF by Paramount+

10,11 & 18 for Bolton & Baker feels shit to me. How the heck can't we get a pick inside 10 for Bolton included in there somewhere? This guy is a jet. One poor season shouldn't write you off like this

Club should force Bolton to stay if the deal does not improve. Stuff this - he signed it, he has to commit to it. We let players leave with a smile in the past and here we are. Stay tough and force him to stay if a fair deal cannot be reached

20 in return for 32, 42, 43 and 45

What a shocking deal

fat finger error surely?

It could have been that Richmond had a handshake deal with Lions well before finals to trade a certain amount of points for their rd1 pick come what may. And the Lions had a big win from the agreement by winning the flag from 5th. Pre finals that pick would have been expected to settle around 15 or so, with both upside and downside potential.

Pick 20 is going to freo

They need a 1 st round pick this year

Otherwise they can’t trade them all and all their futures next year for Warner

The Brisbane deal happened moments before the hawthorn trade happened

Reckon we are getting 10 11 and 18 and we are giving them 20 and getting something else back probably a player

Reckon baker and Bolton are both going to freo
Basically what you're saying is 10 and 11 for Baker and Bolton (as 20 pretty much cancels out 18), that's not a good deal for us unless the player you mention we are getting is top notch which i hardly doubt Freo would hand us a quality player.

Hopefully the 3 scenarios that i posted earlier on come to fruition which all favour us more than Freo. Your suggestion is favouring Freo which is basically my option C without handing back pick 20.

1) Pick 3 comes to us and we return an early pick back along with Baker.
2) The Eagles split their pick 3 for example with Carlton who have 12&14 and they pass on to us 12 or 14
3) The last option is if the eagles snooze Freo might come jumping in with 10, 11, and 18 for Bolton and Bakes

Last edited:
I want FOS too but the Lalor talk is strong. In this scenario 6 is one of Langford, Draper, Smillie or Jagga, and 11 is probably Berry, Allan, Lindsay, maybe Arstrong or Hotton. Which do you prefer? I'm going FOS. I'll already have Lalor, probably get one of Berry, Allan, Lindsay at 10, and have 20 and 24 for a Whitlock or two.
I really don't envy Blair and Toce currently.
I'm sure they have a plan in place to end up in a spot where they feel they can maximise our result. I think our plan is pick one and two but I didn't anticipate clubs throwing their balls to the wall and selling the farm to get into the first round this year.

I don't recall how many list spots we have free but I'm assuming it's 4+ and we want to take all those in the first round or thereabouts.

FOS/Lalor preferred
FOS/Jagga feels like a good yin and yang scenario
FOS/Lalor/Jagga + Armstrong

I dunno man.

Assuming WC still come to play, at minimum we get a future 1st for next year. We probably needed to spread the picks out over years anyway because I just don't see us taking 8 or 9 draft picks all at once, all coming out of contract at the same time in 3 years.

Unless we get a good deal to trade up im leaning to taking the picks where they fall now
1-7 any player could go #1 so even if we gave 3 picks we could end up not getting the best player
Just take who we think is the best and take pick #6 accordingly

10-20 we could have 3 maybe 4 picks just take them as they fall
Just have to trust our talent scouts and recruiters then let Toce make that call

Carlton set to make play for West Coast’s pick 3​

Jay Clark
@ClarkyHeraldSun
October 11, 2024

Carlton is eyeing off West Coast’s number three draft pick in a bid to land one of the top underage midfielders in the country.
The Blues have picks 12 and 14 and have indicated they are keen to surge further up the draft order as part of another aggressive trade move.

Carlton sounded out West Coast on a deal on Friday to swap the Blues’ pick 12, future first-round and second-round for the Eagles’ pick three, before making the deal with Hawthorn.

Carlton has made clear they are interested in West Coast’s third pick in this year’s draft which could give Michael Voss’s men a chance to snare Finn O’Sullivan, who is the cousin of jet midfielder Sam Walsh.

The Blues could target Finn O'Sullivan with pick 3.
Many recruiters consider O’Sullivan the draft’s top prospect as a brilliantly well-rounded inside-outside ballwinner who is penetrating by foot.

The Blues’ strong interest in landing pick three from West Coast and securing a stand-out midfielder explains why they aren’t going overboard for Port Adelaide’s Dan Houston.

Carlton’s recruiting team will continue to talk about their options with 12 and 14 and whether they can engage West Coast, Melbourne or St Kilda on a pick swap for an earlier selection.

The Blues have confirmed to other clubs they are happy to hold their two draft aces or rise earlier up the order to have a crack at another generational talent.

West Coast would prefer to hold on to three but Carlton will pitch 12 and 14 as a way West Coast can land Liam Baker from Richmond with 12 and a young talent with 14.

The Eagles face a massive 48 hours weighing up their options after missing their chance to secure pick 14 from Hawthorn.

The Blues rate the talent at the top-end of this year’s draft and will engage in more talks across the weekend.

Nick Austin has plenty of work to do in the remaining days of the trade period.
Top prospects other than O’Sullivan include 187cm ballwinner Sam Lalor, 181cm playmaker Jagga Smith and 190cm midfielder Harvey Langford.

Melbourne is also engaged in talks with clubs about securing a second pick inside the top-10, including Essendon’s number nine selection in exchange for the Demons’ future first-rounder.

Melbourne’s national recruiting manager Jason Taylor has an excellent record and is keen to dip further into a talent pool recruiters are leading for its quality and depth.

Essendon, which has pick nine, wants to take a top talent before a bid comes for gun small forward Isaac Kako.

Melbourne could bid on the jet small forward at pick number five.

It could have been that Richmond had a handshake deal with Lions well before finals to trade a certain amount of points for their rd1 pick come what may. And the Lions had a big win from the agreement by winning the flag from 5th. Pre finals that pick would have been expected to settle around 15 or so, with both upside and downside potential.

Surely you don't make a handshake deal for a pick you don't know the value of yet without having some kind of adjustment or back out option. If the pick is 5 slots worse than the one agreed on, then you'd either back out or adjust the other parts of the deal accordingly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jay Clark
@ClarkyHeraldSun
October 11, 2024

Carlton is eyeing off West Coast’s number three draft pick in a bid to land one of the top underage midfielders in the country.
The Blues have picks 12 and 14 and have indicated they are keen to surge further up the draft order as part of another aggressive trade move.

Carlton sounded out West Coast on a deal on Friday to swap the Blues’ pick 12, future first-round and second-round for the Eagles’ pick three, before making the deal with Hawthorn.

Carlton has made clear they are interested in West Coast’s third pick in this year’s draft which could give Michael Voss’s men a chance to snare Finn O’Sullivan, who is the cousin of jet midfielder Sam Walsh.

Many recruiters consider O’Sullivan the draft’s top prospect as a brilliantly well-rounded inside-outside ballwinner who is penetrating by foot.

The Blues’ strong interest in landing pick three from West Coast and securing a stand-out midfielder explains why they aren’t going overboard for Port Adelaide’s Dan Houston.

Carlton’s recruiting team will continue to talk about their options with 12 and 14 and whether they can engage West Coast, Melbourne or St Kilda on a pick swap for an earlier selection.

The Blues have confirmed to other clubs they are happy to hold their two draft aces or rise earlier up the order to have a crack at another generational talent.

West Coast would prefer to hold on to three but Carlton will pitch 12 and 14 as a way West Coast can land Liam Baker from Richmond with 12 and a young talent with 14.

The Eagles face a massive 48 hours weighing up their options after missing their chance to secure pick 14 from Hawthorn.

The Blues rate the talent at the top-end of this year’s draft and will engage in more talks across the weekend.

Top prospects other than O’Sullivan include 187cm ballwinner Sam Lalor, 181cm playmaker Jagga Smith and 190cm midfielder Harvey Langford.

Melbourne is also engaged in talks with clubs about securing a second pick inside the top-10, including Essendon’s number nine selection in exchange for the Demons’ future first-rounder.

Melbourne’s national recruiting manager Jason Taylor has an excellent record and is keen to dip further into a talent pool recruiters are leading for its quality and depth.

Essendon, which has pick nine, wants to take a top talent before a bid comes for gun small forward Isaac Kako.

Looks like 10 and 11 for 3 it is. I’m down with that. Blues can GAGF

800 - 395(Pick42) = 405 points differential. Thats not net zero is it? It’s still an extra 405 points. Plus a hand shake agreement on not bidding on Ashcroft at 1 (+500 points) and Marshall before Pick 20.

Blair isn’t running a charity? Well he’s donating like he is supporting one.

Who else has a better deal for Brisbane in this draft? I’m still waiting to hear it.

Obtaining pick 20 is a good thing, I’m just querying as the price we paid was overs and why we felt we had to do it.
You either sure seem to know a lot of inside info, or you really love being judgmental.

Incorporating the points value of your make-believe 'handshake agreement' into this is genuinely entertaining.

Thank you for the content.

Jay Clark
@ClarkyHeraldSun
October 11, 2024

This has to be 1 of the most stupid articles written

Why wouldn't west coast just Do Baker + #10 instead

Shit for brains

Jay Clark, what a dipsh1t. Why would WC take 12 and 14 for 3 and give 12 for Bakes when they could give 3 for Bakes and 10? 10 is better than 14 isn't it, Jay? Is Jay a Carlton supporter, or just a dumb campaigner?
I preferred my suggestion of Saints giving 7 & 8 lol Way overs? Maybe but still would've funny as hell

It’s amusing that people in here don’t understand pick-6 on its own is massive overs for Rioli. Rioli or Smilie/Draper/Armstrong are standing against the wall and are available for selection …. take your pick

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Maybe but GC don’t want Smilie/Draper/Armstrong

Surely you don't make a handshake deal for a pick you don't know the value of yet without having some kind of adjustment or back out option. If the pick is 5 slots worse than the one agreed on, then you'd either back out or adjust the other parts of the deal accordingly.

Teams trade players or picks of known value for future picks all the time when there is a greater variance than Brisbane's pick would have potentially had in the scenario I speculated on.

All the time, and with no back out options.

So that should answer your query.

Do you know how many players we can get in the draft? I heard from a mate it’s 6 max. Idk if this is true or not. Maybe that’s a factor too.
As many as you have space for on the list. Four is usually the average. But do we really want to be taking kids at #50, on top of the hand we will have after all the trades? There's only so many we can put proper development time into next season, we don't need an average age of 19.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency - Fred 11

Back