List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Do you support the club trading for picks 2 and/or 3?

• Yes Trade for 2 & 3

• Yes But Only For 2 or 3

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who said that?
Beveridge after speaking with recruiters.

Assume it has Ashcroft & Lombard plus FOS, Smith, Lalor, Draper, Reid, Armstrong, Smillie.

Whoever Bombers take at 8 they'll be convincing themselves it's the #1 in the pool 😁

Just listened to trade radio (I know), they were speaking very fast. Pretty much everything we already know was covered.

Positives
  • indicated picks 9, 10 & 17 would likely be on the table for Baker/Bolton
  • indicated West Coast were also in the conversation for both players
  • indicated pick 6 would be a starting point for Rioli
  • top 8 or so players in draft could be considered number one players such is evenness of this draft.
  • Damo doesn’t think St Kilda should get band 1 compo

Negatives
  • Damo
  • Dusty going to GC for less than 400k a year.
  • Geelong likely to push Bailey Smith to the end trade week so it can be all about them and they want to only pay their shitty first this year.
When are clubs going to stand up against Geelong?

For the right deal I wouldn't be against us having a look at trading in

James Peatling
Riley Garcia

I also wouldn't be against us having a discussion with Cumming from GWS as an unrestricted free agent.

With our departures we could use a couple of ready made types so that we don't become too young.
Definitely Garcia.

Peatling is going to re sign.

I'm sure all the usual suspects would be against it but Lewis Young has been told he's free to look around. He'd be a good cheap pickup. Did an absolute number on Jack last year. Only 25. Apparently doesn't get along all that well with Weitering which is why he hasn't been a lock at Carlton.
I could've done a number on Jack last year
Having said that he'd be an Improvement on our current Young.

'top 8 or so players in draft could be considered number one players such is evenness of this draft.'- trade radio.
This is why we should trade out pick 1 for 2 other picks.
Nope
Our draft hand is going to be flush with the players we have leaving so no need to bank more picks

Let’s pick who we actually want without having to just take whoever happens to fall to our picks

If anything I would prefer we do the opposite and try and bundle up whatever picks we get into one or two more inside the top 5

Nope
Our draft hand is going to be flush with the players we have leaving so no need to bank more picks

Let’s pick who we actually want without having to just take whoever happens to fall to our picks

If anything I would prefer we do the opposite and try and bundle up whatever picks we get into one or two more inside the top 5
Why would you give away multiple picks in the 20's to move up a few spots when it's so even?

If we do trade #1 I assume that 1) we reckon there are many relatively even good players so the more the merrier, and 2) we will trade into 2025 and just tear the whole thing apart for multiple years.

Not sure we will, except if we really can't separate the players and so we just don't care about pick 1 vs pick 6. If so then I would understand trying to get as many good picks as possible, and then drafting, trading and sliding to add even more picks. End up with a huge draft haul in 2024, 2025 and possibly 2026.

Why would you give away multiple picks in the 20's to move up a few spots when it's so even?
Because it means we can target the specific players we want that we can build around long term

And as good as the draft is there is still a drop in quality down the order

If we do trade #1 I assume that 1) we reckon there are many relatively even good players so the more the merrier, and 2) we will trade into 2025 and just tear the whole thing apart for multiple years.

Not sure we will, except if we really can't separate the players and so we just don't care about pick 1 vs pick 6. If so then I would understand trying to get as many good picks as possible, and then drafting, trading and sliding to add even more picks. End up with a huge draft haul in 2024, 2025 and possibly 2026.
We aint trading pick 1, dont add oxygen to that buffoons post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You just said we should trade pick one for multiple picks in the top eight because the top eight could all be a pick one level player but are now saying we shouldn’t give up later picks to get into that top eight so we can get another pick one quality player?

I mean choose a lane

'top 8 or so players in draft could be considered number one players such is evenness of this draft.'- trade radio.
This is why we should trade out pick 1 for 2 other picks.
No, that's why we shouldn't pay attention to anything Riley Beveridge says.

Nope

Spot on.

If we do trade #1
We won't.

if we really can't separate the players
...'we' should resign in shame.

All these recruiters telling Riley they'd be happy to take any one of eight players at pick 1, how many of them have pick 1? Is it 1, or is zero? How many of them have picks in the first eight? Is it eight, or is it seven?

You just said we should trade pick one for multiple picks in the top eight because the top eight could all be a pick one level player but are now saying we shouldn’t give up later picks to get into that top eight so we can get another pick one quality player?

I mean choose a lane
The lane I choose is to get 2 picks for pick 1 as pick 1 is basically the same as pick 7 or 8 . Then you get an extra quality player . Eg trade pick 1 for pick 6 and pick 13.
Keep all the top 30 picks and trade the rest for future picks.

The lane I choose is to get 2 picks for pick 1 as pick 1 is basically the same as pick 7 or 8 . Then you get an extra quality player . Eg trade pick 1 for pick 6 and pick 13.
Keep all the top 30 picks and trade the rest for future picks.
Come on bro, that is just factually incorrect.

Had to do with list management why we passed.
Poor list management*
If we needed the extra list spot we could have just delisted him at the end of the year if it didn't work out or delisted an extra poor performing player on the list.

There was literally zero excuse to not take him. We could have shifted any one of the 5 players with an ACL to the long term injury list.

Don't make excuses for the club. They went into the MSD with three picks. Took two players and are now tempting fate and gambling we can still take him with a late pick in the national draft. It may well work out fine, but there was zero reason to risk it. Zero.

are the camporeale twins even any good? havent heard or seen anything from them in my extremely casual draft watching.
Ben Camporeale won the SANFL U18 B&F with 18 votes, he played only 6 games for the season in the competition. That means he polled BOG in every game. Across the year he averaged

32 disposals
5 marks
4 tackles
7 clearances
3 R50s

Riley Beveridge: Who would you take at pick 1?
Matt Clarke, holding pick 3: We think there are 4 or 5 players we'd be pretty happy with.
Adrian Caruso, holding pick 14 and therefore with no skin in the game: FOS or Lalor.
Jason Taylor, holding pick 5 and hoping that one of FOS, Lalor, Jagga or Draper gets through: It’s pretty even.
Dodoro: Whoever we get will be the best.
Riley Beveridge: tHe toP 8 piCkS arE sO eVeN.

Poor list management*
If we needed the extra list spot we could have just delisted him at the end of the year if it didn't work out or delisted an extra poor performing player on the list.

There was literally zero excuse to not take him. We could have shifted any one of the 5 players with an ACL to the long term injury list.

Don't make excuses for the club. They went into the MSD with three picks. Took two players and are now tempting fate and gambling we can still take him with a late pick in the national draft. It may well work out fine, but there was zero reason to risk it. Zero.

Yep, I can just picture the whole thing now. Blair has a meeting with the coaching staff and recruiters about mid-season draft strategy.

Blair: I think the idea here is to have 3 spots available, and even though Davidson would be the best player to take out of anyone, we should instead take Blight and Gray and for absolutely no reason pass on our 3rd pick. Thoughts?

Everyone else: Agreed, great plan.

Yep, I can just picture the whole thing now. Blair has a meeting with the coaching staff and recruiters about mid-season draft strategy.

Blair: I think the idea here is to have 3 spots available, and even though Davidson would be the best player to take out of anyone, we should instead take Blight and Gray and for absolutely no reason pass on our 3rd pick. Thoughts?

Everyone else: Agreed, great plan.
Very sarcastic and facetious post.
Whatever the reasoning was for them not to take him is honestly irrelevant.
  • We had a free hit at him.
  • He would have been on a six month deal on minimum chips
  • We could have exposed him to a professional environment for six months.
  • Even if he had other commitments such as uni there's still no reason not to sign him so he knows he is valued by us.
  • If we signed him we would have first refusal on him at the end of this year so we could extend him without having to gamble on the draft.
It actually pains me that people will defend the club at every turn. Everyone makes mistakes, it's a fact of life and this was a mistake.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Back