List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Do you support the club trading for picks 2 and/or 3?

• Yes Trade for 2 & 3

• Yes But Only For 2 or 3

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

1728278216122.png

Trade & Free Agency Dates

Free Agency Period - Friday October 4th 9am to Friday October 11th 5pm

Trade Period - Monday 7th October 9am to Wednesday October 16th 7.30pm

Richmond have been linked to the following players:
Ben Hobbs
Elijah Tsatas
Jai Culley
Connor Stone
Jacob Konstanty

Last edited:
Why do I think what? That we should tip chip in on Riolis and Boltons contracts for a better pick? It's pretty self-explanatory isn't it?

GC cap is near capacity (hence the Bowes gift) and Freo will be close to the max after adding Bolton too (plus they will chase Warner next year) too.

Rioli and Bolton would've been taking up roughly 10% of the $17.7mill cap next year. Add Grimes, Dusty, Pickett, Graham and a decreased Prestia contract and we've dropped at least another $3mill. That's 25%+ of the cap out. Obviously some contracts will go up, Lynch is apparently on $1.5mill for example. Yes you can massively front end some contracts (Hopper, Taranto etc) but that hold some risk and doesn't always work out. You don't want to pay Hopper $2mill a year for 2 years then have him request a trade because FOS has taken his spot. So why not tip in a fair chunk of Bolton and Riolis contract if it means getting a couple of extra very good picks just for the sake of some cash that we need to spend somewhere anyway? As I said, we'd be mad not to.

What better pick is tipping in cash on their contracts going to get us? We have the upper hand. We don’t need to do anything like that to get the picks available. Make them do the work

It’s absolutely wild people would put cash on the table plus picks for these players when we hold all the cards

That would be gold if true. This is what will happen.

We get to the Graham pick (wherever that falls) and multiple clubs are salivating at a handful of players remaining on the draft board - there’ll be really highly rated players still there.

We will hear the ‘ring a ding’ of the trade bell, and hear “Richmond has traded pick-25 for Freo’s pick-30 and a F2.”

Then it gets to pick-30 and ring-a-ding of the trade bell again “Richmond has traded pick-30 to Carlton for pick-34 and a F2”.

So Jack Graham turns into pick-34 and 2 x F2’s. Which in 2025 we then trade to GC in a point swap for their first pick of 2025 - pick 12.

So Graham turns into pick-12 of the 2025 draft. PLUS PICK 34

This or something similar will happen on draft night - there is too much quality depth for clubs to miss out, and we’d already have taken half a dozen players we love and can afford to slide, but other clubs can’t.

2024 draft gonna be epic. Bookmark it !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Edited for accuracy ;)

we played grouse round 1 and against the runners up then injuries destroyed us

still kind of believe that without louie we wouldnt have had a million injuries and couldve easily had made the 8 something freo failed to do

I dont think its as bad as what many think even though we finished last

The problem wasn't Louie - he gave us the camel. Now, everyone keeps going on about the camel and blaming it for our misfortune, but we were ticking over nicely in the preseason, and our preseason form was promising. All while we had the camel. Then they took the camel away, the season began, and look what happened.

Tell Louie to come back and all will be forgiven so long as he brings back the camel... bring back the camel!

What better pick is tipping in cash on their contracts going to get us? We have the upper hand. We don’t need to do anything like that to get the picks available. Make them do the work

It’s absolutely wild people would put cash on the table plus picks for these players when we hold all the cards
10&11 instead of 10&18? 6&23 instead of 6&29?

And have a GC issue where in a few years we're paying spuds way more money than what they're worth? Nah.

We’re talking two years max. We’re always going to turn over 20% of the list so you don’t pay them you pay the ones you want to keep

Maybe I’m just set in my ways but paying for our own players to play somewhere else when it’s unnecessary is just bs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to hear your opinion on trading salary cap for picks, as this will more than likely be another mechanism introduced next year to enable clubs to build their lists.

I'd like to hear your opinion on trading salary cap for picks, as this will more than likely be another mechanism introduced next year to enable clubs to build their lists.

I’m not against it but do it when it’s advantageous for us.

We don’t need to do it right now. In my humble opinion.

I’m not against it but do it when it’s advantageous for us.

We don’t need to do it right now. In my humble opinion.
It's been going on for quite a while, Bowes and pick 8 to Geelong for cap relief.

I get that you're against us providing cap relief to other clubs, but that relief comes at a cost and our recruiting dep't would be remiss in not taking advantage if and when that opportunity presents itself.

We’re talking two years max. We’re always going to turn over 20% of the list so you don’t pay them you pay the ones you want to keep

Maybe I’m just set in my ways but paying for our own players to play somewhere else when it’s unnecessary is just bs
We'll be in the same position in 2 years though.
Why would tipping in cash get us those picks? They either want them or they don’t.
Cap space is an extremely valuable commodity. GC and Freo have the picks and need the cap space. It's a trade off.

I'd much prefer to pay a fair chunk of Riolis and Boltons contracts for a couple of years and then look to take maximum advantage of trading cap space for picks when it is introduced rather than overpaying the existing players we already have (and have already accounted for their wages) and not be able to take full advantage of the new rule.

It's been going on for quite a while, Bowes and pick 8 to Geelong for cap relief.

I get that you're against us providing cap relief to other clubs, but that relief comes at a cost and our recruiting dep't would be remiss in not taking advantage if and when that opportunity presents itself.

Don’t see why we’d do it this draft hand

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Back