Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mannagh after last years VFL final should have been on every clubs radar and I’m unsure how Duncan has flown under the radar but in any event if we had looked at either of these two we would have discarded them on the basis of being undersized, too short and too old. Just shows that being able to play the game is far more important than any of these considerations and posters on big footy need to reconsider what attributes are more important
On this basis we should be getting Jagga?

the geelong local league is quiet strong, they get decent crowds to local games.. also alot of ex geelong players are involved in these teams, so when decent youngsters are coming thru they get hidden and kept on the down low from every other club. thats how they roll around here in geelong
True I'm in Geelong and football Geelong controls 4 leagues.
GFL(GEELONG FOOTBALL LEAQUE)
BFL(BELLARINE FOOTBALL LEAQUE)
GDFL(GEEL,DISTRICT FOOTBALL LEAQU
CDFL COLAC DISTRICT FOOTBALL
PLUS HAVE FALCONS PROGRAM WITH 100S OF KIDS VERY CLOSE BY.
THERE IS ALSO MANY MANY STRONG JUNIOR LITTLE LEAQUES.

I’m still in for FOS but yes it comes down to talent and speed and less about size and height unless these are the separating factors
FOS
20m - 3.046
Vertical - 90cm
Agility - 8.117
Yo-yo - 1000

Smillie:
20m - 3.093
Vertical - 73cm
Agility - 8.501
Yo-yo - 720

Jagga
20m - 2.990
Vertical - 75cm
Agility - 8.796
Yo-yo - 840

This should solidify your FOS loyalty

Geelong this, Geelong that.

campaigners haven’t won what we have in triple the time. Oh but Prelim finals. Who gives a **** man. That doesn’t mean anything.

Winning is everything. Everything else is losing.

Yeah good club and like us, recent Premiership winners so to be respected, but **** me.

Draft your superstars.
Calm down mate! You sound angry on a forum discussing a sport which is literally invented for entertainment!

People saying don't get too many kids. Watching the Hawks game and I keep seeing first year players. As many talented players as possible in thanks!!

I think it would be good to split some picks across two years is so we get a seasons look at the players we drafted and can adjust before we go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People saying don't get too many kids. Watching the Hawks game and I keep seeing first year players. As many talented players as possible in thanks!!
AND !!!! Who are their leaders

Certainly not as good as Taranto , Hopper , Lynch , Broad , Vlastuin , Nankervis and ill just put Short & Graham in there for TI TigerImposter

Ed Richards is someone we should look at as a FA next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn giving us the blue print on how to rebuild. All the talk of Geelong last night/this morning but the Hawthorn model is what we need to replicate.
Agreed. They’re exciting the crowd which in itself would be enough during a rebuild (think Richmond 2012), but actually winning finals doing it. Crazy.

Hawthorn giving us the blue print on how to rebuild. All the talk of Geelong last night/this morning but the Hawthorn model is what we need to replicate.

I don’t think anyone is giving us anything, we’ve been secretly rebuilding since 2021. We have 16 x 1-3 year players on our list and I wouldn’t write off one of them yet!

Still their best two players. Brought in for relative peanuts. Would be nowhere without them. But otherwise, yeah, agree.

They’ve traded a ton of good picks to bring in other clubs players taken with good picks how in any scenario does this equal draft picks being overrated

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It seems they're better than other clubs at identifying a player with certain attributes for a role and then playing them consistently in that role with a system that must be easy to follow. Well drilled and I feel sick admitting that
You are overthinkimg it. They just git lucky. Look at Ratugolea for example.

Are draft picks overrated?

Watching Geelong last night make their 7th Prelim in 9 years have they found a different path to success that no one else dares to follow?

Jhye Clark has been their highest pick in ages (pick 8) that they got in a salary dump for J. Bowes from gold Coast.

Next best was trading J.Cameron in for picks 13,15 & 20, followed by Dangerfield for picks 9 & 28.

Last nights team had 6 rookie picks, 1 delisted free agent and an international player. The majority of their side are players from pick 18 to 41 over the past 15 years.

As much as I dislike the mongrels they sure have some kind of hidden secret. This year they will most likely acquire Bailey Smith using another 1st round pick, quite remarkable.
That deal for Bowes and pick 8 still annoys me. Hard to not question whether SHocking had access to inside knowledge. In business that would be insider trading and would be illegal. In the afl it’s not even questioned.

We're four years behind the Hawks story arc. They over-achieved a few years after their dynasty in 2018 by finishing in the top 4 and going out in straight sets - many believe we also over-achieved beyond our dynasty in 2022 by making finals.

The Hawks then brought in Chad Wingard and Tom Scully as top ups, as well as trading in other older players like Frost, Patton, Hartigan, Impey, O'Meara across a 2-3 year period around that time.

We've brought in TT and Hopper. Naismith and Tarrant were free hits, and never considered long term investments. Kosi a mistake.

I think we've actually clued onto the system well in advance of the Hawks - maybe even using theirs as a model. The four years of 2020-2023 they finished 15th, 14th, 13th and 16th respectively. We had a better squad in 2024 than they had in 2020 - in no way did they suffer the same injury toll that plagued Richmond in 2024, so 18th is not a true reflection of our squad's standing. 2024 was ridiculous from an injury pov.

There's nothing to prevent us from thinking we couldn't get it right quicker than their four years. Admittedly it's a biggie, but of the blokes we're losing, only the loss of Shai Bolton will be the one that we'll really feel in 3-4 years. And we're set for a much more lucrative draft haul that they were ever able to access, not even counting our 2021 batch.

Last edited:

The question was are draft picks over rated

The example given was Geelong who have traded out a bunch of good draft picks to get players from other clubs that were selected with good draft picks

Wether you are using good draft picks in the draft or using good draft picks for trading in good players

How would this make draft picks over rated

Far out, all the capital we spent on Taranto and Hopper and I’d prefer Newcombe and Worpel.
And Newcombe was a rookie selection

I just got back home from the Hawks game tonight and their ball skills are sublime.
The way they setup around stopages is first class. I can't wait to watch the kids play the Hawks give me hope that not all is lost.

The question was are draft picks over rated

The example given was Geelong who have traded out a bunch of good draft picks to get players from other clubs that were selected with good draft picks

Wether you are using good draft picks in the draft or using good draft picks for trading in good players

How would this make draft picks over rated

Why are you asking me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back