List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely we are packaging for a first rounder on draft night - would explain the timing?
hope so. 3 picks 38-45 are a lot to give up for a pick 27. its a good deal if we can turn that into a first rounder somehow though.

looks like we arent planning on going too deep into next years draft at this stage.

I'm still of the opinion we are looking at Essendon's #11

If Essendon have their eyes set on a player, but they go top 10, then maybe they think the next 15-20 players are pretty even, so take 2 picks in the 20's over 1 pick at #11 ....?

Even 27 + 28 are worth more in points than #11 on it's own...
Points only matter for F/S, academy players etc. Recruiters would be looking at who they are likely to get with that particular pick rather than that picks points otherwise.

hope so. 3 picks 38-45 are a lot to give up for a pick 27. its a good deal if we can turn that into a first rounder somehow though.

looks like we arent planning on going too deep into next years draft at this stage.
That's the thing.
We have Ralphsmith, Dow, Martyn, RCD, Cumberland, Biggy who are all still very much largely untried at AFL level.
We will give them the next two years to see if they can cut it.
Plus add on this year's draftees, and I agree we will be very quite neext year on draft night.

Last edited:
I am really liking the way we are attacking the rebuild trying to get in top 30 picks. If we could upgrade those picks in the 20s for another pick inside the first round even better. If not, 5 picks inside 30 is a great start to the next gen of talent.

The future 3rd round pick we just gave away was absolutely unnecessary surely.

27 for 38 and 40 is extremely fair..and probably already in Collingwood's favour. There really isn't that much difference and to have 2 choices in (38-40) you are probably more likely to find a player, instread of one chance at 27 (which becomes 29 anyway)

But we will take a maximum of 5 players due
to list spots, so couldn’t use both 38 and 40 anyway. Pies know this, so had the upper hand knowing that pick was excess to our needs.

And having 3 picks in a row is a huge advantage, as it allows you to select the exact combination you want of talls/smalls etc…. based on what we got at 7 & 15, without worrying about someone at pick 27 stealing an important part of our list build puzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Points only matter for F/S, academy players etc. Recruiters would be looking at who they are likely to get with that particular pick rather than that picks points otherwise.
I certainly get that, it's why I mentioned it may only happen if the player they want at 11 is taken in the top 10, they may think that 2 players in the next 16 picks are better than just one of the players in the next 16 picks...

But whether we like it or not, the points are being used as a measure of whether the swap appears fair on face value. BUT just because it's fair, doesn't mean it will happen, again, Essendon would only do it if there are multiple players they want and think they will be available at the later picks

If Essendon have their eyes set on a player, but they go top 10, then maybe they think the next 15-20 players are pretty even, so take 2 picks in the 20's over 1 pick at #11 ....?

Don’t agree. I think the only way we trade again is to get a pick in the top 5, just my opinion.

It seems pretty obvious that the club is very eager to build a new team foundation based off quality rather than quantity. While we grabbed Dusty and Cotch at Pick 2 & 3 in their draft years, most of our other lynch-pins all went in the teens and twenties. Valustin pick 9, Jack pick 11, Rance pick 20 and Edward pick 26 were/are the playmakers and bookends we drafted. Lynch pick 11 and Presta pick 9, are also high picks from their draft.

While we have uncovered some gems later in the draft and as rookies, having 5 picks inside 30 brings in quality players that can underpin our team for the next decade and go a long way of covered the departure of the likes of Cotch and Jack when the inevitable happens.

While I'm undecided if it was a good trade, I'm wrapped to have 7, 15, 26, 27 and 28. It really does inject class and strength into a squad that has no right to get such a draft hand after so much recent prolonged success. The other clubs must be shaking their heads in frustration and dreading another era of dominance of the yellow & black. Great to be us!

Aren't there a couple of KPP we are looking at that we think will go in the teens?
Not so sure about that but who would know? Blair and the recruiting team keep their cards extremely close to their chests.
The beauty of having the three second round picks in a row is that we will have a long time between the first night of the draft, and the time we need to make the selections, to actually assess who is available and what we need on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah...maybe we think the next 15-20 players after 10 are even too ..if we do why bother trading two picks for one

Don't mind it. I wouldn't be surprised if we try and get into the first this year or even if on draft night a desperate team throws us a top 20 pick next year for a player they want.

dont be so sure that those 3 picks in a row will be used by us, the club might have its eyes firmly set on someone & they may be invaluable in helping us to "Trade up" on draft day to secure our man. I tend to agree the future 3rd seems excessive, but it also would not have been any good in helping us possibly move up in the the first round

Might be looking to use them to trade up to GC #3, or even to move 26 into a pick in the teens to get the "schlong" - wouldn';t be surprised if we have more moves to come, i think its safe to say the club is fully aware that it lacks elite young talent prospects and if we can use all these 5 picks to even secure 2 players we think can be elite, that will be a great result

That's the thing.
We have Ralphsmith, Dow, Martyn, RCD, Cumberland, Biggy who are all still very much largely untried at AFL level.
We will give them the next two years to see if they can cut it.
Plus add on this year's draftees, and I agree we will be very quite neext year on draft night.
So you're telling me that next year we're not going to have over 1500 pages on trading??

Bradner just got cut - I really think we should take a crack at him. A 3rd tall to replace the CCJ & Chol loss - go get him tigers

... I'm wrapped to have 7, 15, 26, 27 and 28. It really does inject class and strength into a squad that has no right to get such a draft hand after so much recent prolonged success. The other clubs must be shaking their heads in frustration and dreading another era of dominance of the yellow & black. Great to be us!

I think you've nailed it with the bolded comment. We've won 3 flags, should be playing finals next year (and once we're in there, who knows what may happen) and have just nailed an unbelievably tremendous predraft. I still think there's another play coming but if we nail the picks we have then we're well on the way.

And don't forget that this years draft has a lot of unseen talent. The Vic kids have a lot of development in them (a lot more than other drafts). So it is possible to get picks in the second round who develop into very good players.

The future 3rd round pick we just gave away was absolutely unnecessary surely.

27 for 38 and 40 is extremely fair..and probably already in Collingwood's favour. There really isn't that much difference and to have 2 choices in (38-40) you are probably more likely to find a player, instread of one chance at 27 (which becomes 29 anyway)
The way I see it
Norf were good guys in regsrds too CJ.
We're good guys to the pies.
In both cases it's handy when it comes to further dealings with each other.
You only have too look at the views gws has with ess.

He's not a forward at all though is he?

his Eagles profile suggest otherwise - the eagles played him out of position due to Kennedy, Darling & Oscar. At 196cm he looks like a sound KP/Ruck utility swingman - who can even play on a wing if need be. He is a Geelong boy originally and have heard the Cats are into him - maybe with they happily let Constable go as they knew they would get Bradner the same way.

we need someone ready to go to replace Chol & CCJ, even just for depths sake. A former pick 13 who has shown a lil bit already & heading into his 5th season is not the worst choice out there

Eagles profile below

At a Glance Junior Clubs: Wentworth (NSW) Debut: Rd 13, 2018 Recruited from: Geelong Grammar/Bendigo (VIC) Brownlow Votes: - The tall forward had a strong pre-season and displayed good form at East Perth in the opening half of the year before earning his AFL debut in round 13 on a Friday night against Sydney. A tall, athletic forward with a good endurance base and agility for his size, Brander was also swung into defence at WAFL level with great success, showing his capabilities at either end of the ground. Signed a contract extension during the year keeping him at the club until the end of 2021.

It seems pretty obvious that the club is very eager to build a new team foundation based off quality rather than quantity. While we grabbed Dusty and Cotch at Pick 2 & 3 in their draft years, most of our other lynch-pins all went in the teens and twenties. Valustin pick 9, Jack pick 11, Rance pick 20 and Edward pick 26 were/are the playmakers and bookends we drafted. Lynch pick 11 and Presta pick 9, are also high picks from their draft.

While we have uncovered some gems later in the draft and as rookies, having 5 picks inside 30 brings in quality players that can underpin our team for the next decade and go a long way of covered the departure of the likes of Cotch and Jack when the inevitable happens.

While I'm undecided if it was a good trade, I'm wrapped to have 7, 15, 26, 27 and 28. It really does inject class and strength into a squad that has no right to get such a draft hand after so much recent prolonged success. The other clubs must be shaking their heads in frustration and dreading another era of dominance of the yellow & black. Great to be us!

I agree with all your post bar the bold. We have every right to those picks with talent gone out the door. Based off our performance this year, we are very far behind and have let go of some players with massive upside.

Hoping we can nail this draft as it is needed badly to set us up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back