List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Tiger fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

tugga you may like to sticky or merge this post, move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread.

Jacob Koschitzke is one we should be looking at. Would maybe expect his name to be mentioned if Newy gets the gig.

Lynch, Koschitzke and Bauer is a good forward line.

Then allows Balta, Gibcus and Young to be the talls in defence.

Jacob is my best mates nephew. I have been mentioning to him all year we need a replacement for Jack & are light on for key forwards etc

He totally agrees with me & would love to see him at the Tiges even though he is a Pies supporter (my mate that is)

Jacob keeps his cards pretty close to his chest re new contract etc but I do know he has met with a Melbourne club but he hasn’t even told his uncle who , I think his preference would be to stay if Hawks offered him another deal , but who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacob is my best mates nephew. I have been mentioning to him all year we need a replacement for Jack & are light on for key forwards etc

He totally agrees with me & would love to see him at the Tiges even though he is a Pies supporter (my mate that is)

Jacob keeps his cards pretty close to his chest re new contract etc but I do know he has met with a Melbourne club but he hasn’t even told his uncle who , I think his preference would be to stay if Hawks offered him another deal , but who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers.

I was informed by a very good source we had spoken to his management.

Cheers.

I was informed by a very good source we had spoken to his management.
hp-sauce-hero-2000.jpg

We were percentage out of the 8 leading into the
Melbourne game about R20 which we led by 3-goals in the third qtr. We romp into the top-8 with Lynch.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And then when the going got realy 6th & 9th kicked our arse and made us look silly

And then when the going got realy 6th & 9th kicked our arse and made us look silly

We went 3w-1d-8l over the season against finals teams. We went 2w-3l against other teams above us on the ladder. 5w-1d-11l overall against teams above us.

We won 2 close ones and lost 2. We didn't get too many favours from our draw, either the teams we drew, or when we met them. This may have cost us a win v an average draw.

So our finishing position seems to accurately reflect our performance, and this is further confirmed by us having the 13th best percentage. To be truly in contention and finishing top 4 we would need to be roughly reversing that performance against the top 12 teams bar ourselves to be winning roughly 2/3rds of the games. We were 6 wins short of that. I am sure Lynch being available alone would come close to squaring that ledger to maybe 8-1-8.

Games missed by players...I think AFL average is around 70 games missed by best 22 players heading into the season.

Our best 22 was probably:

Back 7 Balta Tarrant Grimes Vlastuin D Rioli Short Broad

Wing 3 Ross McIntosh Pickett

Mid 4 Taranto Hopper Prestia Bolton/Martin

Rucks Nankervis/Soldo

Forward 7 Soldo Lynch Riewoldt Graham Bolton/Martin M Rioli Cotchin

Baker slots in there somewhere. Say they are out best 23 heading into the season.

They've been unavailable for roughly 112 matches, which is very very high, even accounting for the extra match fixtured. As well as losing the players for matches they miss it also creates disruption and instability of course. You could play around with the best 22-23 of course and get a different number each time, but we have definitely been way above AFL average for absences. It is obvious Lynch missing 19 games really hurt us but I think as the season wore on, Tarrant never being available at all has also done a fair bit of damage to our 2023 performance.

So with level racing luck we are probably comfortably making the 8, not sure if we could have actually contended.

The benefit of all of this though:

- Balta had to sink or swim without Tarrant, and whilst he sank at times, he also swam a lot and he will derive great benefit from his 23 games.

- Taranto and Hopper obviously benefit from becoming more familiar with our systems, and their team-mates.

- Young plays 19 games, you can't buy that experience for him.

- Ross a career high 19 games and looking more and more confident all the time

- Ryan 14 encouraging games

- Ralphsmith 13 games that will help him even though his form really dropped away late season

- Clarke, Miller 13 games, Banks 6 late in the season, all these guys will benefit.

- Bit of a taste of it for Bauer, Coulthard, Trezise and Brown.

A lot of these guys are 3rd to 6th season out of their draft years so sharp improvement should be seen from some of them. So that has been one benefit of all our absences.

Next year we effectively gain potentially whole seasons out of Lynch, Soldo, Gibcus, which could be very influential. Also Maurice, Cumberland, Sonsie and some others who had very poor seasons, we should get more out of some of those.

There are quite a few players who are probably exposed for us and not going to improve. Guys like Baker, Dan Rioli, Bolton, Taranto, Balta are a downside risk given they played every game. Dusty is probably another near that category.

I remain concerned about Dow, Bauer, Cumberland and even Sonsie not having the true team instinct to all they can to play quality 2 way football. All have talent so hopefully some pennies drop there, if we end up with one good player from that foursome we should be happy.

I am not of the load up on draft picks school of thought. But we clearly do need to get some more regular games into the younger players we have. And in doing that, we need to be realistic with our expectations. I don't think we will be adding anyone exciting in the off-season.

New coach, interesting times ahead RJK.

A 23 year old, 196cm tall who’s kicked 50 off goals in his 40 odd games.

Depending on cost, you get these types into your club if opportunities are provided.

I know we have held interest, now if Newy comes in he will know better than most what he can be capable of.

Bringing him in, provides our list with a certain structure. I think he is a very handy type who can be developed more.
🥔🥔🥔🥔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We went 3w-1d-8l over the season against finals teams. We went 2w-3l against other teams above us on the ladder. 5w-1d-11l overall against teams above us.

We won 2 close ones and lost 2. We didn't get too many favours from our draw, either the teams we drew, or when we met them. This may have cost us a win v an average draw.

So our finishing position seems to accurately reflect our performance, and this is further confirmed by us having the 13th best percentage. To be truly in contention and finishing top 4 we would need to be roughly reversing that performance against the top 12 teams bar ourselves to be winning roughly 2/3rds of the games. We were 6 wins short of that. I am sure Lynch being available alone would come close to squaring that ledger to maybe 8-1-8.

Games missed by players...I think AFL average is around 70 games missed by best 22 players heading into the season.

Our best 22 was probably:

Back 7 Balta Tarrant Grimes Vlastuin D Rioli Short Broad

Wing 3 Ross McIntosh Pickett

Mid 4 Taranto Hopper Prestia Bolton/Martin

Rucks Nankervis/Soldo

Forward 7 Soldo Lynch Riewoldt Graham Bolton/Martin M Rioli Cotchin

Baker slots in there somewhere. Say they are out best 23 heading into the season.

They've been unavailable for roughly 112 matches, which is very very high, even accounting for the extra match fixtured. As well as losing the players for matches they miss it also creates disruption and instability of course. You could play around with the best 22-23 of course and get a different number each time, but we have definitely been way above AFL average for absences. It is obvious Lynch missing 19 games really hurt us but I think as the season wore on, Tarrant never being available at all has also done a fair bit of damage to our 2023 performance.

So with level racing luck we are probably comfortably making the 8, not sure if we could have actually contended.

The benefit of all of this though:

- Balta had to sink or swim without Tarrant, and whilst he sank at times, he also swam a lot and he will derive great benefit from his 23 games.

- Taranto and Hopper obviously benefit from becoming more familiar with our systems, and their team-mates.

- Young plays 19 games, you can't buy that experience for him.

- Ross a career high 19 games and looking more and more confident all the time

- Ryan 14 encouraging games

- Ralphsmith 13 games that will help him even though his form really dropped away late season

- Clarke, Miller 13 games, Banks 6 late in the season, all these guys will benefit.

- Bit of a taste of it for Bauer, Coulthard, Trezise and Brown.

A lot of these guys are 3rd to 6th season out of their draft years so sharp improvement should be seen from some of them. So that has been one benefit of all our absences.

Next year we effectively gain potentially whole seasons out of Lynch, Soldo, Gibcus, which could be very influential. Also Maurice, Cumberland, Sonsie and some others who had very poor seasons, we should get more out of some of those.

There are quite a few players who are probably exposed for us and not going to improve. Guys like Baker, Dan Rioli, Bolton, Taranto, Balta are a downside risk given they played every game. Dusty is probably another near that category.

I remain concerned about Dow, Bauer, Cumberland and even Sonsie not having the true team instinct to all they can to play quality 2 way football. All have talent so hopefully some pennies drop there, if we end up with one good player from that foursome we should be happy.

I am not of the load up on draft picks school of thought. But we clearly do need to get some more regular games into the younger players we have. And in doing that, we need to be realistic with our expectations. I don't think we will be adding anyone exciting in the off-season.

New coach, interesting times ahead RJK.

How can we not be loading up on draft picks?? oh boy wow wee

I agree, those thinking one or two players and we win a premierships or make the eight are in fantasy land
True.

Imagine finishing a season 13th & finishing the season with a 100 + point smashing then adding a couple of fringe players. Say for example a ruck an who couldn’t get a game for his team, a mid-forward who didnt have a real position & already a 2 club player and an injury prone undersized mid. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Plus no draft picks left.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

And then expect to win the premiership the next year.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Fantasyland . Could never happen 😱😱😱

🏆🏆🏆

True.

Imagine finishing a season 13th & finishing the season with a 100 + point smashing then adding a couple of fringe players. Say for example a ruck an who couldn’t get a game for his team, a mid-forward who didnt have a real position & already a 2 club player and an injury prone undersized mid. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Plus no draft picks left.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

And then expect to win the premiership the next year.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Fantasyland . Could never happen 😱😱😱

🏆🏆🏆
Not when your better players are older instead of entering their prime and guys of the quality of Cotch, JR and Rance are not there and a generational Dusty is on the other side of 30, not to mention the supporting cast are starting to taper a little to in the ranks

You don’t just bring in anyone with those numbers or you end up with a very average football side. And you can’t just look at numbers either.

Just on watching him, he’s terribly average. I know you can’t get a Jack Riewoldt every time you bring in a forward, but my feeling is that he’d just be in the same position he is at Hawthorn; out of the team.

Honestly I’d much rather try to find some more gun midfielders than waste a spot on a forward we pretty much know will be gone in a few years.

But if we’re trying to get a forward, we really should be trying our best to get Jones off Essendon. Much more potential than Kozitschke and uncontracted, so shouldn’t cost the world in draft/player capital.

Jones can play immediately and may well develop into something very good. I think Kozi has shown almost as much as he ever will.

Edit: I’ve always believed you build a footy side on a gun midfield and a solid defence, having a gun key forward is just the cherry on top really, and you’re lucky if you have one but you can be more than fine without one.

- Bulldogs 2016, what key forward?

- Richmond 2017, we only had Jack and he didn’t do a huge amount that day, but his best moments weren’t only key forward moments, one was a chase and tackle. I haven’t forgotten the speccies, don’t worry.

- Eagles 2018, had peak Kennedy and Darling, so they’re a good example of wanting good tall forwards, but the rest of the team was on fire and they had a gun backline.

- Richmond 2019, Jack and Tom played amazing but our whole team was immense, we were winning that game even if we had ham sandwiches playing at full forward.

- Richmond 2020, Dusty won us this game pure and simple. Jack just happened to kick the sealer. Lynch did nothing.

- Melbourne 2021, Brown and McDonald, combined they make a good footballer but both are now well and truly omitted. Melbourne’s midfield caused about 15 goals in the space of a quarter and a half.

- Geelong 2022, I think Cameron finally kicked a goal late in the game, but this game was just like us and 2019, the whole team destroyed the opposition.

What I’m getting at here is that there’s no point bringing in average tall forwards, especially if you’re not gonna be contending. We need to be realistic in that we’re probably a good couple of years away. We badly need to shore up midfield and defence first. If we’ve accidentally drafted a gun tall forward in the meantime, great, otherwise we can see how Lynch/Bauer are going by then and maybe look to bring in a decent/capable one then. Now or 3 years from now, Kozi is not even a decent one, so there’s just no point.

I’m agnostic as to whom we target at a key forward this off season (assuming we of course are targeting someone). Chol, Jones, Fullerton Kozischitski, none of those are moving the needle in terms of being the ‘next Jack Riewoldt’. For me it’ll come down to cost both in contract and in trade compensation.

That’s not to say there is ‘no point’ in getting one however.

We incorrectly assume that player development is just getting games to young players in a certain role. It’s not. Sometimes the best development is done in conjunction with other players who avoid being thrown in the deep end.

Let’s say we draft a KPF this draft and along with Bauer, look to develop those as the next generation of KPF. Are they ready to take the best defender; or even second best AFL level defender? How much confidence is destroyed by forcing young players into situations they aren’t ready for? How much does that stunt development?

Having a stopgap type enables a methodical development of young players and takes a lot of pressure off.

Certainly wouldn’t be a no point trade.

LOL sen still insisting with the Dusty crap. You know sports reporting in this country is up the shitter when they include their own fairytales as fact.

The only people who linked Dusty to a trade were the media as they do every year. losers they are.

LOL sen still insisting with the Dusty crap. You know sports reporting in this country is up the shitter when they include their own fairytales as fact.

The only people who linked Dusty to a trade were the media as they do every year. losers they are.
and hes only worth a 3rd rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back