List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the worst, it's just being realistic.

I don't see how people can honestly believe Baker is a 1st round pick.
Plus WC have an early 2nd. They don't have a late 1st. We might be able to get an F2 out of them with some adjustments but reality is they don't have a first that people want.

If he picks Freo then different ball game.

Plus WC have an early 2nd. They don't have a late 1st. We might be able to get an F2 out of them with some adjustments but reality is they don't have a first that people want.

If he picks Freo then different ball game.

If you had a choice and they could fit him in to their TPP you’d go Freo over West Coast at this stage of your career surely.

Probably an unpopular personal opinion here but I think some people are overrating bakers trade value. I honestly love the bloke but He’s a 172cm un contracted utility that averages 18 touches across the journey. We all admire the the way he plays his footy but to other clubs he’s probably worth a pick in the 20’s and that’s it. Our injury curse hasn’t exactly helped his value either as he has had to play largely out of position all year.
Freo doesn't, sending their best to meet with them, They know he will come at a high trade otherwise wyu would they bother ??

Probably an unpopular personal opinion here but I think some people are overrating bakers trade value. I honestly love the bloke but He’s a 172cm un contracted utility that averages 18 touches across the journey. We all admire the the way he plays his footy but to other clubs he’s probably worth a pick in the 20’s and that’s it. Our injury curse hasn’t exactly helped his value either as he has had to play largely out of position all year.

It’s a very strong draft where pick-18 might be ‘worth’ more than normal. But no way is he worth a pick outside top-20 to any club. The average games played for a pick 11-20 is 118 games. 47% of picks 11-20 don’t play 80-games. A club is guaranteeing themselves 100+ quality games from a player who is hard as nails and has great leadership - and could be the difference between a PF loss and a flag.

I’ve not heard a single report his ‘value’ is outside top-20… time will tell but I think that’s fanciful.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's not the worst, it's just being realistic.

I don't see how people can honestly believe Baker is a 1st round pick.

Taylor Adams (30yo) got Pies pick 33. Esava went for pick-25 plus a couple of later picks. Soldo went for equivalent of a couple of 2nd rounders. McAdam went for a second rounder. Liam Henry went for a second rounder. Schulz went for a 1st AND a 2nd.

I agree Freo would pay more than WC. I’d be happy with 2 x seconds from Eagles. Or any single pick in this very strong draft inside 20. But I don’t believe for a second his value is a single pick outside top-20.

Trades might not happen, but that doesn't mean clubs aren't being called with offers for that pick. That is why it's important that we hold on to that pick should we finish last this year. It opens up opportunities and in a draft like this where the talent pool is quite deep, I wouldn't just throw it away.

I am not advocating throwing it away, of course. Richmond has shown previously they are happy to trade this pick, see the Taranto deal.

Where is the evidence or history that this pick holds any greater proportionate value than any other pick? What is the logic behind it? I suppose it allows time for multi club trades to be done, but has this ever occurred between nights 1 & 2?

Taylor Adams (30yo) got Pies pick 33. Esava went for pick-25 plus a couple of later picks. Soldo went for equivalent of a couple of 2nd rounders. McAdam went for a second rounder. Liam Henry went for a second rounder. Schulz went for a 1st AND a 2nd.

I agree Freo would pay more than WC. I’d be happy with 2 x seconds from Eagles. Or any single pick in this very strong draft inside 20. But I don’t believe for a second his value is a single pick outside top-20.

Going to be a lot of angry tiger supporters if he does end up going home

Going to be a lot of angry tiger supporters if he does end up going home

Why would our supporters be angry if any of these guys choose to leave, providing we can get a decent return for them?

Baker has served the club with great distinction. We will get a decent pick/combination of picks for him. Either way, Richmond fans should be deliriously happy we recruited and developed Baker. He has been gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like the Baker trade. Pick 23 (30 after the compos) is nowhere near enough for a proven commodity. He won't screw us over so we can do better than that.

Hopefully Baker choses Freo - who have better trading options.
I think there will be a lot of arguing over this, if it is WC. It will probably end up being 23 (30) and a future 2nd. Which I still don't like. We should try and swap future 1st picks. That would make 2025 interesting.

I've read from those that would know say that after the top 6 or 7 it is an even draft with good players right into the 30's. So we'd essentially give up 3 of those picks for 1 and drop back 5 places in the 3rd round.

Pick 15 is being overvalued IMO. I wouldn't do that trade.

36, 39 & 49 is 1235 points - pick 15 is 1112 points. Keep 35

Baker trade is based around him wanting West Coast and us being able to use that pick for two top 10 firsts from GC and pick upgrades that can be used to win Brisbanes first. If Baker would go to Freo it gives us the potential to get a higher pick and use 21 in the GC trade (or something less valuable). Also, as we are not keeping Baker pick, it ending up at 30 after bids wouldn’t matter. It will actually be used by GC to match Lombard.

I’m no expert but I believe pick 15 is quite valuable in this draft because of the depth and evenness of the top group. It could be a bit like the 2017 draft but more genuine midfielders. Exactly what we need.

The reason we can’t simply beat the points value of pick 15 to obtain the pick is that there is potential competition from GC and Collingwood, and Brisbane will probably want to condense the points value into 3-4 picks. The three picks in the 30s plus slight upgrade of their 3rd gives them more points than Collingwood can offer and eliminates GC as the Rioli trade ensures they don’t have the points for Lombard in addition to being able to trade for 15, plus it would be pointless for them to obtain 15 as it would simply go to Lombard.

Why would our supporters be angry if any of these guys choose to leave, providing we can get a decent return for them?

Baker has served the club with great distinction. We will get a decent pick/combination of picks for him. Either way, Richmond fans should be deliriously happy we recruited and developed Baker. He has been gold.

I'm talking about not getting what some of us think we should be getting for him in a trade.

I am not advocating throwing it away, of course. Richmond has shown previously they are happy to trade this pick, see the Taranto deal.

Where is the evidence or history that this pick holds any greater proportionate value than any other pick? What is the logic behind it? I suppose it allows time for multi club trades to be done, but has this ever occurred between nights 1 & 2?
When was the last time we held the first pick of the 2nd round and traded it? I don't believe we ever have. We may have traded a pick around 21 in the draft but never the first pick of the 2nd.

There is plenty of evidence of clubs being asked about possibly trading the first pick of the 2nd round, by holding that pick we put ourselves in a strong position as we currently hold 3 picks inside the first 2 rounds, smart trading could see us hold5 picks inside the first 2 rounds with the chance multiple will be in the first round. Unless we're getting something that we can't say no to, there is no reason to trade it. Take it to the draft and get the best available kid at that point.

Baker trade is based around him wanting West Coast and us being able to use that pick for two top 10 firsts from GC and pick upgrades that can be used to win Brisbanes first. If Baker would go to Freo it gives us the potential to get a higher pick and use 21 in the GC trade (or something less valuable). Also, as we are not keeping Baker pick, it ending up at 30 after bids wouldn’t matter. It will actually be used by GC to match Lombard.

I’m no expert but I believe pick 15 is quite valuable in this draft because of the depth and evenness of the top group. It could be a bit like the 2017 draft but more genuine midfielders. Exactly what we need.

The reason we can’t simply beat the points value of pick 15 to obtain the pick is that there is potential competition from GC and Collingwood, and Brisbane will probably want to condense the points value into 3-4 picks. The three picks in the 30s plus slight upgrade of their 3rd gives them more points than Collingwood can offer and eliminates GC as the Rioli trade ensures they don’t have the points for Lombard in addition to being able to trade for 15, plus it would be pointless for them to obtain 15 as it would simply go to Lombard.

This is a very confusing post

What rioli trade?

and when you say them, who do you mean?

When was the last time we held the first pick of the 2nd round and traded it? I don't believe we ever have. We may have traded a pick around 21 in the draft but never the first pick of the 2nd.

There is plenty of evidence of clubs being asked about possibly trading the first pick of the 2nd round, by holding that pick we put ourselves in a strong position as we currently hold 3 picks inside the first 2 rounds, smart trading could see us hold5 picks inside the first 2 rounds with the chance multiple will be in the first round. Unless we're getting something that we can't say no to, there is no reason to trade it. Take it to the draft and get the best available kid at that point.

We traded the first pick in the 2nd round of the 2022 draft for Taranto. It ended up at pick 22 but when we traded the pick it was known we were trading the first pick in the second round.

This is a very confusing post

What rioli trade?

and when you say them, who do you mean?

You’re meant to follow me on twitter, LinkedIn and Snapchat, and read my earlier posts… gosh.

Rioli to GC in the earlier post is where we obtain higher value picks for the Brisbane trade and eliminate their hand for that trade.

Them is Brisbane, they will be after the most points possible for their first as Ashcroft could get a really high bid.

We traded the first pick in the 2nd round of the 2022 draft for Taranto. It ended up at pick 22 but when we traded the pick it was known we were trading the first pick in the second round.
Trading the first pick in the 2nd round as part of a package for Taranto is a deal you'd do every day. Trading it for Phillips isn't.

EDIT: There is a difference when you own the pick because of a previous years trade and when your list is bad enough that you actually get the pick on merit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back