List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shai Bolton has emphatically shut down rival interest, with his management making clear to Richmond list boss Blair Hartley he is going nowhere.
Fremantle did reach out to Bolton, as the Dockers also tried to poach Liam Baker, to declare they would offer an exceptional draft package for the pair.

Bolton has four more seasons on a deal that can see him earn as much as $1.3 million a year, and bounced back to form against the Dockers after several quiet weeks.

When the news of the Dockers’ interest broke, rival clubs also made clear they would join the race if he had any interest in jumping ship.

But 25-year-old Bolton signed on at the end of 2022 until 2028 aware that the club’s golden era might not last forever.

He will eventually end up back in Perth late in his career or post-career, but will back in coach Adem Yze.

Teammate Marlion Pickett is set to face court for a committal hearing in coming months, which could set a court date for his burglary accusations.

He is out injured with a calf concern but is due back in coming weeks.

Pickett will plead not guilty to those offences and with a court date likely to come a year or more into the future, is keen to play on next year.

Shai Bolton sees his future at Tigerland. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Shai Bolton sees his future at Tigerland. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Richmond has taken the view he is due proper process and has the presumption of innocence, so has allowed him to play on.

While the 32-year-old has been out injured in recent weeks, he has played 12 games this year and shown his versatility so will hope to push his claims in coming weeks.

The Tigers are sweating on decisions from Dustin Martin, Liam Baker and potentially Dan Rioli (who has interest from Gold Coast), with Adem Yze telling Fox Footy on Monday he wouldn’t mind if players told him mid-season they wanted out.

He is keen for certainty in the next 2-3 weeks for planning purposes.

“I don’t mind the NRL model where they come out and say they are leaving. It’s different and it might be a different view than we are used to,” he told AFL 360.

“I look at the players and the anxiety they have about making the decision during the season and carrying that, it’s too hard for them. Those discussions will unfold in the next 2-3 weeks and as it gets closer we will need to know. We have players considering their futures and they need to do that, and fair enough. But we can’t leave it until the end of the season. It’s in the next 2-3 weeks.”

Sorry but that answer really feels flakey.

What player admits they will end up playing in Perth at some point? Thats a really weird comment. And stating his reason is he backs in the coach who has been here 6 months is hardly settling. So if the club moves on from Adem as he has a 2-30 record midway through next year - does that mean he would be open to the move?

I honestly read all that as "yes but not now"

Basically, Dusty last year. Staying "for now" but the decision to leave has somewhat been made. Just a matter of when?

Our players have NOT instilled much faith in where we are heading tbh.

Richmond midfielder Tim Taranto has urged the senior Tigers considering their futures to stick with the club and transform it into a competitive force again as fast as possible.

A handful of the club’s premiership players are assessing their futures at Punt Rd beyond this year, including out-of-contract stars Dustin Martin and Liam Baker as well as Daniel Rioli, who is contracted but has attracted interest from Gold Coast.

This masthead reported this week that Shai Bolton plans to stick with the Tigers, despite significant interest from rival clubs.

“Absolutely, I’d love them all to stay,” Taranto said.

“Unfortunately, I don’t have any control over their decisions. But I will try my best to encourage them to stay at Richmond. It’s a tough process. I went through it a few years ago (when he left Greater Western Sydney for Richmond). I try to let them make their own decisions, but they are all very important players and hopefully we can keep them all.

“Time will tell, but I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed that they stay.”

Taranto joined Richmond at the end of 2022 on a long-term deal that runs through to the end of 2029. But despite the club’s struggles over the past few years, he told us this week he has no regrets about making the move.

“I made the right decision for me, there is no looking back,” Taranto said, reaffirming his commitment to helping the Tigers claw their way back again.

The Tigers fell to the bottom of the ladder on percentage after last week’s loss to Fremantle – putting them in the box seat for this year’s No. 1 draft selection. But being the competitive beast that he is on the field, Taranto said he would be doing everything in his power to get off the bottom and to add to their two wins in the coming weeks.

“We’ve got a lot of youth and we know they are going to get better,” he said.

“We have to try and lead the way on that. We need to keep chasing those wins.”

Taranto, 26, said it had been a privilege to play alongside Martin, one of the great footballers of the modern era. But he is unsure what the 33-year-old triple Norm Smith Medal-winner intends to do when his famous contract runs out at the end of this season.

“I have no idea what Dusty is going to do,” he said. “I don’t even know if he knows what he is going to do yet.”

“He will stay in the moment and enjoy it, and then make the decision when he has to.”

The Tigers will take on Taranto’s former side Greater Western Sydney on Sunday at the MCG, with the club dedicating its home fixture to the Alannah and Madeline Foundation, helping to support children to recover and heal from trauma.

What player admits they will end up playing in Perth at some point? Thats a really weird comment. And stating his reason is he backs in the coach who has been here 6 months is hardly settling. So if the club moves on from Adem as he has a 2-30 record midway through next year - does that mean he would be open to the move?

Basically, Dusty last year. Staying "for now" but the decision to leave has somewhat been made. Just a matter of when?

This is crazy. “I don’t want to leave now I want to leave when I have no trade value a bit later in my career when you may really need me again”. Trade him the **** out now and cash in omfg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker is younger, a better half back than Rioli, more versatile, yet worth far less on the trade table.

Rioli needs to be the sacrificial lamb.
Say what?
Rioli creates through run & flair.
Nothing against Bakes but he's more of a grunt type .

That’s the bit ralphy made up , there’d be very good reasons why million dollar shai wants to live in Melbourne and that ain’t gonna change in a few years time. Leave it to the 2&2 guru to put things together , he ain’t going back

That true we said we wanted soldo until they offered us a pair of r2s
We only relented when Soldo was adamant he wanted to go. Been the same with any player that asks for a move. We generally go with it, nothing to do with an oppo club making an offer too good to refuse. Always come down to the player and his desire to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back