Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can categorically assure you from my club contacts that we will not trade for fringe players so they are wasting their breath.
Don’t think we need fringe players. It’s not like we are currently in the midst of dual startup clubs.

A pick in the 30’s could net you the best player in the draft/comp who is also on the minimum wage.

A fringe player is likely to be a 15 - 23 ranked role player at best. Surely we have that type of player on the list already.

With someone like Will Phillips, you can't just look at exposed form in their AFL career when assessing trade viability.
There would have been many reasons as to why he was taken at pick 3 by North. I understand their recruiting team around that time resembled a bag of potatoes but I refuse to believe that they willingly threw away a pick 3 at someone who was bad.

It's so easy just to say "oh he is crap, shown nothing at AFL level". Sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery or approach to extract the best out of someone.
If we were legitimately interested, I'd back the club in.
You can't just disregard these types of players IMO.

they didn’t throw away a pick. Their methodology was putrid. Luffy runs a golf course now that’s how bad that method and team are viewed by the industry.

They made choices based on their know-how. You don’t hear David King going off on CD stats like he used to. Wonder why.

That is all we can afford which is why I said that we are not the serious bidder for Baker.

My preference would be for Baker to stay put at Punt Rd. We can't afford him in trade currency and I don't want him in Purple.

My reference to what I would pay is not what he is worth but what we can afford to pay. Unlike those tin rattlers from Arden Street, we have not been given welfare tickets by Aunty Laura at AFL house so cannot afford a reasonable asking price.
Not a serious bidder ???

Really ?

Your team has come into an auction between Freo & Richmond as the 3rd bidder and blown both teams away
Eagles are the team with the biggest offer

Eagles will pay up but its just hard for supporters to accept giving away overs

they didn’t throw away a pick. Their methodology was putrid. Luffy runs a golf course now that’s how bad that method and team are viewed by the industry.

They made choices based on their know-how. You don’t hear David King going off on CD stats like he used to. Wonder why.

They have picked Sheezel, Wardlaw Comben and others same time as Phillips.

That is all we can afford which is why I said that we are not the serious bidder for Baker.

My preference would be for Baker to stay put at Punt Rd. We can't afford him in trade currency and I don't want him in Purple.

My reference to what I would pay is not what he is worth but what we can afford to pay. Unlike those tin rattlers from Arden Street, we have not been given welfare tickets by Aunty Laura at AFL house so cannot afford a reasonable asking price.

A far worse situation is to make a contract offer to a player, have them agree and then say ‘oh actually we don’t have the currency to make a trade’. How does that play with any future player and player manager who you want to deal with? Didn’t work when Dons went after Dunkley and then Brad Hill. Didn’t work when Carlton went after Papley.

Reality is that if Baker requests a trade to West Coast, West Coast will have to find a way to satisfy Richmond. I don’t think he’ll be tradedfor pick 3 personally, but anything in the second round is not what his worth is based on similar trades in recent years. So it’ll be on West Coast to make a move in someway that opens up additional trade assets.

The other aspect of this is Matty Clarke obviously knows how Blair Hartley operates; and how Baker is rated internally at Richmond. I find it hard to imagine he’d disregard all that, make an offer to entice Baker to West Coast and then refuse to pay his worth.

I believe the offer is under $700k per annum so that in the new world would be band 2 or band 3, meaning end of R1 or after your R2 which will likely be in 2025 a pick between 25 and 30.

With the new salary cap there’s not a chance Baker is being courted by WA clubs with offers less than $700k PA.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That's all you can afford lol Matty Clarke will come to the party even if West Coast supporters don't.

I have a suspicion that none of us are close to what we want to see but suggesting a pick swap and Baker? lol
Bigfooty supporters aren't the ones you need to chase away to make a deal for Baker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A far worse situation is to make a contract offer to a player, have them agree and then say ‘oh actually we don’t have the currency to make a trade’. How does that play with any future player and player manager who you want to deal with? Didn’t work when Dons went after Dunkley and then Brad Hill. Didn’t work when Carlton went after Papley.

Reality is that if Baker requests a trade to West Coast, West Coast will have to find a way to satisfy Richmond. I don’t think he’ll be tradedfor pick 3 personally, but anything in the second round is not what his worth is based on similar trades in recent years. So it’ll be on West Coast to make a move in someway that opens up additional trade assets.

The other aspect of this is Matty Clarke obviously knows how Blair Hartley operates; and how Baker is rated internally at Richmond. I find it hard to imagine he’d disregard all that, make an offer to entice Baker to West Coast and then refuse to pay his worth.
West Coast fans have delusions of grandeur that they will offer peanuts for Baker and if it's rejected, the Eagles will just walk Baker to the PSD. As if Bakes, a dual premiership Richmond player who is clearly torn about whether to leave the club he loves to go back to his home state, or stay where he is already vice captain, would do that to Richmond where he is revered.

IF he goes they will have to cough up and pay overs or they can gft.

Surely Hawks wouldn't be silly enough to pay up for a 29 year old given where the rest of their list is at.

Would cost them their first pick too.
I reckon the Hawks love trading players in. Going to the draft must have been painful for them for the last couple of years? But going after a contracted player sounds pretty unethical to me. It's ridiculous to be tempting players who have contracts, but suits WC just fine If he brings a good draft pick in

West Coast fans have delusions of grandeur that they will offer peanuts for Baker and if it's rejected, the Eagles will just walk Baker to the PSD. As if Bakes, a dual premiership Richmond player who is clearly torn about whether to leave the club he loves to go back to his home state, or stay where he is already vice captain, would do that to Richmond where he is revered.

IF he goes they will have to cough up and pay overs or they can gft.

The PSD option would be great in theory if only West Coast finish below Richmond and therefore had the earlier pick and that Liam Baker’s management has already hinted through the media if he does move it will be via trade.

90%+ of players want to ensure their former club gets compensated. Even CCJ made it known to North that the PSD was not an option despite North having the first PSD pick.

I actually like this idea. I can't seeing Baker holding out on the club if a deal can't be arranged and if he signs a 1 year deal it sets us up perfectly for compensation the following year.
Good for us , significant risk for bakes when there are 5mn deals on the table , tbh you’d need your head read to walk past that , risky business footy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back