List Mgmt. Trade: Geelong trades Round One compensation and No. 55 selection to Gold Coast for Josh Caddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Done more at AFL level than any of the players you reference. To be honest , im not sure the role he would be asked to do within the GC side would be the same as within the Geelong group. Im sure he will need to learn from players on our list but the core talent is there. Deny that if you want but better judges than us have already made the call.

Great to think that most people regard him so highly.
It's just that when I look at our list I think there are many players who show just as much promise, including the players I have mentioned. They just need game time and a consistent run of games to show what they have got.
I also think they played to our game plan well and have ability.

Caddy could be a good player but has a long way to go to show he is A grade and has habits that have to be ironed out

Exciting times for the Cats

Great to think that most people regard him so highly.
It's just that when I look at our list I think there are many players who show just as much promise, including the players I have mentioned. They just need game time and a consistent run of games to show what they have got.
I also think they played to our game plan well and have ability.

Caddy could be a good player but has a long way to go to show he is A grade and has habits that have to be ironed out

Exciting times for the Cats

As much as I like our kids and they really could become anything, there is a reason we chased Caddy.. Why would the club do that if they thought we had the players do to the job already?

Not saying Caddy is going to be better then our kids, but at the moment he is rated higher.

Don't get me wrong either.. I don't think anyone expects him to come in and be Selwood MK II or something strait away, but we do lack midfield depth that Caddy will help to fill with GHS and Stringer.

Corey could be anything this year.. We are in trouble if he declines further or spends more time out this year.. Bartel looks as though he will not play much mids anymore and I hope one of Duncan or Bundy steps up to help too.

If they above happens, we have Selwood and Kelly as our 2 experienced mids and I can see why we need Caddy.

his overhead marking is exquisite and his ability to kick 50 metres off one or two steps is quite brilliant.

I've talked him up quite often in here but sometimes you just see something in players that gets you thinking they gonna be special and he's one of those boys.

He only just turned 20 years of age but has a mature ready-made body.
Only averaged 15 disposals this season and 6 of them were contested but he averaged 0.7 goals per match, terrific around goals :thumbsu:

This year's the year where guys from the 2010 draft year as well as guys like Cowan, Vardy and Stringer who are a year or so older but haven't had much game time should be making their mark. I'm expecting break out years from Vardy, Smedts, Caddy and Horlin-Smith with at least 3 of them cementing their starting positions. Then Cowan, Stringer and Schroder will get plenty of opportunities to show whether they can make it too.

Of them Caddy's very promising but I'm expecting similar or better from Smedts and Vardy as well. Just judging on his draft position Caddy should have more talent than the rest of those mentioned.

Caddy and Horlin-Smith are the 2 mids that need to step up next year and at least show that they have the ability to become regular fixtures in our midfield for the future. I'm not expecting either to dominate, but to play 10-15 games and show a bit of poise, class and skill when they have the ball in their hands. Both will make mistakes but hopefully by 2014 and 2015 they will both be guns.

As mentioned earlier I hope Caddy glues himself to Selwood and does a full on preseason doing everything Joel does.
Whilst we can debate his form at the Suns the reality was that he wasn't content and that has to effect your output to a certain extent.
At the end of the day he is the man we wanted and he is a top 10 pick so I can't wait to see a fully fit and motivated Caddy chop it up in 2013.
I reckon he'll become a favorite very quickly.

What are people’s basis for saying they are “Unhappy with his output in 2012?” Is it solely because he finished low on Gold Coast’s best and fairest count??

In his first real season at AFL level among fellow rising stars his rankings were: 3rd for inside 50s and contested possessions, 4th for kicks, disposals, marks, goals, dreamteam score and clearances, 5th for supercoach score, 6th for handballs and uncontested possessions.

What are people’s basis for saying they are “Unhappy with his output in 2012?” Is it solely because he finished low on Gold Coast’s best and fairest count??

In his first real season at AFL level among fellow rising stars his rankings were: 3rd for inside 50s and contested possessions, 4th for kicks, disposals, marks, goals, dreamteam score and clearances, 5th for supercoach score, 6th for handballs and uncontested possessions.

He played 22 games, so totals are non indicative. If you average those stats he is for example ranked 23rd for supercoach average

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is so hard to tell what Caddy will be short term (2013 season) and longer term - say in 3 - 7 years for us.

It cannot be denied GFC wanted him - maybe even over most that were the top 15 in this year's ND. He has had two pre-seasons - so could be ahead a fair bit in his development than 2012 ND first round picks.

So he will have more influence than a first year pick like Mackie, Hamling, Smedts, Brown, etc in his first season at GFC. He is in the same vintage as Horlin-Smith, Guthrie, Murdoch, Schroder and Walker - and behind Bundy and Duncan.

He has had more AFL experience and exposure because he was at GC - so that helps. A few injuries are a slight downside so far to his career.

I reckon he will be the best player of his own years at the club (list above) and will closer to Bundy and Duncan for out put and influence on a game by seasons end. Is that good enough to be best 22 by season's end I do not know - but it will be a close thing I reckon. A 50/50 he will play in our 2013 final's team.

At worst he will be a good depth player for us and getting some more senior exposure Catland Style in 2013.

My guess is that he will more than likely become a very good to gun mid within 2 years - if Wells and Co. really rated him so highly - and they have been able to watch his progress far more stringently these past 2 seasons. Surely they would have watched the tapes and had some feedback from people close to the action - what type of player he is and could become. His physical development, his mental approach and attitude, his leadership and skill sets. Hard to hide these factors and assessments from U18 and AFL comp. people. More of a known product than any top 10 ND player.

May even become Corey's replacement by season's end. Hard to see Corey playing more than 15 games - and he would need to play a bit better than he did this season - if he is going to be a decent contributor to the team.

It would be exciting if he developed in front of our eyes over 2013 season. Playing 15 senior games and working his way into the team by year's end.

And I reckon this just might apply also to Vardy. He will get games when Pods or Hawkins are rested - and when West gets rotated. So you can see Vardy getting 10-12 senior games next season - and he might just develop quite nicely into those roles. GFC played him in a final when he had missed the pre-season and only had a few senior games under his belt. That says a fair bit about what they reckon he might become when he has got some more AFL games experience.

Of the young brigade that might push themselves into a senior regular berth (in order) by 2013's end - would be -

1. Caddy
2. Vardy
3. Smedts
4. Guthrie.

I just think statistically Caddy is the most likley to perform well from the youngsters we have at the club presently.

Caddy is from the Class of '92 (20 years old). So his direct competitors at the club in regards to age (stats as staed on GFC website as surely some weight, and maybe even height changes - are likely).

1. George Burbury - 188 cm 78 kgs 0 AFL games
2. Cam Guthrie - 186 cm 79 kgs 20 AFL games
3. George Horlin-Smith - 186 cm 78 kgs 3 AFL games
4. Billy Smedts - 189 cm 76 kgs 14 AFL games
5. Josh Walker - 196 cm 87 kgs 7 AFL games.

Josh Caddy - 186 cm 85 kgs 24 AFL games.

So he has the best physique for his size to be AFL ready. Pound for pound the biggest of this 6 player list.

Caddy has played more AFL games than the other 5 same-aged candidates.

So out of all those players he would have to be the most likley to play more AFL games in 2013 and make the biggest impact.

Bundy and Duncan stats are not that disimilar to Caddy's. So he a serious chance of playing 6 + scenario games re rotations from the senior side. If good enough - maybe 15 senior games. That gives him 40 or so senior games with 3 pre-seasons behind him.

I think it likely he will be most likely as good as these two players - and I really like Duncan and Bundy. It may take a season or two to catch them (as they will continue progress in the AFL) but he will probably get there.

The question going forward (2014/5) - will the combination of Selwood, Bundy, Duncan, Smedts and Caddy - be a good enough front line midfield - good enough to be one of the best in the AFL ? Good enough to win Premierships ?

We have some others that may yet still make it but look less certain - Horlin-Smith, Stringer, Schroder and Cowan. All have shown enough promise to keep on the books and deserve another season and some senior game exposure, although it will likely to be less than 5 games each in 2013. So we may still have questions whether they will step up by 2014/5. I would say we need at least one of them to become a A to B+ mid for us in 2-3 years time.

I am hopeful that one of those 4 boys can come into the side in two years and be a good mid for us. If all else fails hope we draft a good mid next season who is fairly developed or trade for one.

I just don't see us trading one of our young guys very easily - so with the expected few high draft picks we will have can ge a deal done ? So trading seems a less likely method of getting a quality mid by 2014 IMO.

In short we are banking on Caddy, Bundy, Duncan and Smedts will all be around the A grade level mid in the next 2-3 years - and will support Selwood well in the nest half decade at least. And we are banking on producing one more of that calibre from someone in our current ranks. That seems to be the hardest question to answer - Do we have another A lister mid. in the making ?

Its a reasonable list but not an outstanding one.

good read Belisarius and the other thing I reckon gets overlooked is some people compare lists to other lists and think they need to be copied, Collingwood tend to get looked at as being the team to copy when it comes to midfielders but it's more important to have a certain game style that accommodates players a particular way than topping up the midfield.

We were fortunate that we drafted players with bulk and size and it helped with the in-and-under contested style of game we mastered, players like Ling, Corey, Rooke, Bartel...they were a fairly good size to begin with so spent more time with a footy in their hand than in the gyms.

Scott definitely has a different game style but what it is that he wants to achieve, I'm not quite sure just yet.
He's asked Wells to draft certain players to help accommodate his vision but whether this pays off is going to be very interesting to see.
I will say this though...for a bloke who was a tough and uncompromising defender, he doesn't seem to have a defenders mentality of playing a boring shut-down-style of game like some other coaches have done in the past.

He will definitely be best 22, doubt he'll play VFL at all, unless injuries hit him.

Given the investment we have made him, the coaches will give him plenty of opportunities.

He played 22 games, so totals are non indicative. If you average those stats he is for example ranked 23rd for supercoach average

DT/SC scores are indicative of virtually nothing though. 4th for kicks, disposals, marks, and goals among fellow rising star contenders is fairly impressive regardless.

As for Caddy's ability to win the contested ball, it should improve greatly now he is at Geelong and aided by the midfield calibre of Bartel, Selwood, Duncan, and Christensen (particularly in and out players in Bartel and Selwood). Should make a significant difference now he is at a side with a much better midfield structure.

Other than that, Belisarius covered pretty much everything I wanted to say. The Selwood, Duncan, Christensen, Smedts, and Caddy combination will really aid us in the coming years, and may very well prove to be a crucial quintet in delivering our next flag. :thumbsu:

May even become Corey's replacement by season's end. Hard to see Corey playing more than 15 games - and he would need to play a bit better than he did this season - if he is going to be a decent contributor to the team.

TBH I struggle to see Corey playing even that next season, particularly if Caddy pushes his case even further for a walk-up start in our midfield. How Corey fares injury wise will probably have an even bigger impact on his position within the best 22.

I don't see Corey playing on beyond next season, and so hopefully Caddy is a well-groomed replacement for when 2014 rolls around (which he should be if he features in, say, ~13+ games next season).

DT/SC scores are indicative of virtually nothing though. 4th for kicks, disposals, marks, and goals among fellow rising star contenders is fairly impressive regardless.

As for Caddy's ability to win the contested ball, it should improve greatly now he is at Geelong and aided by the midfield calibre of Bartel, Selwood, Duncan, and Christensen (particularly in and out players in Bartel and Selwood). Should make a significant difference now he is at a side with a much better midfield structure.

Caddy played 22 games last year which is much more than most of the other rising stars. The average per game is a better indicator

Among the players eligable for a rising stars nomination last year(2012) per game average stats rankings

Kicks 8.4 28th
Disposals 15.2 16th
Marks 3.6 26th
Goals 0.7 12th
Contested Posetions 6.0 13th

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2012&rt=RA&st=CP

While i like caddy as a player and think that he has a lot of potential his performance last year was reflected in his low finnish in the BnF. He would need to pull of a good preseason to be chosen ahead of Stringer or Horlin-Smith for the round 1 spot available due to kelly's suspension

Caddy played 22 games last year which is much more than most of the other rising stars. The average per game is a better indicator

Among the players eligable for a rising stars nomination last year(2012) per game average stats rankings

Kicks 8.4 28th
Disposals 15.2 16th
Marks 3.6 26th
Goals 0.7 12th
Contested Posetions 6.0 13th

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2012&rt=RA&st=CP

While i like caddy as a player and think that he has a lot of potential his performance last year was reflected in his low finnish in the BnF. He would need to pull of a good preseason to be chosen ahead of Stringer or Horlin-Smith for the round 1 spot available due to kelly's suspension

Again, that will improve at Geelong where he is surrounded by a much better midfield structure.

Whether Caddy is named in the starting 22 for Round 1 or not is dependent on not only his, but Stringer's and Hyphen's respective pre-seasons. Not downplaying HS or Stringer in any way, but I don't think he would need to pull off as good a pre-season as you suggest to force his way into the Round 1 lineup. At this stage, I'd suggest most signs point to him playing in Round 1.

In addition to this, Caddy's class and poise with the ball could also be quite useful against the Hawks.

While we can argue the relative quality of Caddy vs GHS, Smedts, etc, what we cannot argue with is that the Cats recruiting department went hard and directly after Caddy, giving up a first round pick and (I think) a third round pick.

They must see something they really like in the kid, and I for one, trust their judgement and look forward to seeing him develop at the Cattery.

Stringer, Caddy, G-HS may or may not play first round....but all will get their chance to show their stuff soon enough.

All three look very good prospects, and thats a good thing for Geelong :thumbsu:

He will definitely be best 22, doubt he'll play VFL at all, unless injuries hit him.

Given the investment we have made him, the coaches will give him plenty of opportunities.

I remember Bomber kept putting games into TV early on when there was plenty of questions as to why. Now we see it. Caddy hasn't fired a shot in anger yet and there are plenty of questions. - some with merit given the stats.

Im going to let him adjust to a new system, new teammates and more importantly new and different levels of attention provided to him by opposition coaches. With Sel, Jimmy, Mitch, Bundy, Kel, SJ, Chap, TV, all running thru the guts at some point, he will probably be able to get off the leash a bit more. Also, that is a vastly different midfield - and size - of midfield he has played with. Gaz excepted, GC have undersized talent at the moment.

He will play seniors and play it well. And if he thinks he can coast, he will get bumped for Schredder, Hypen, Stringer et al in a heartbeat.

Go Catters

To be honest I'm quite astounded at how so many Geelong supporters are already querying caddy.

It may just be a classic case of overrating our own but caddy has shown much, much more than horlin smith, Guthrie, schroder, smedts etc (in u18s and afl), and I am not disrespecting any of those players.

The only young players that are probably ahead of him are Duncan bundy and menzel (who are all walk up starters to our 18 IMO) and that is mainly because they are 1 year (2 years if u take his injured first season into account) ahead of him.

Caddy was the best pure mid in his draft after swallow. He is big, strong with a combination of poise and skill. Very good overhead and kicks a goal a game. Apart from selwood (and maybe Duncan) we lack big A grade young pure mids on our list. Caddy was therefore the ideal trade target. Wells seems to agree.

He may not have had the best year ever last year but that is totally within reason (no preseason, first real year, never really wanted to be there and he was one of the most relied upon players from his whole team of 19 yr olds!)

I can't wait to see all you non-believers embrace this kid next year. The kid will be a gun and will be our premiere mid with selwood for the next 5-10 yrs.

On a side note, I have this feeling Duncan is going to turn into something special next year (josh Kennedy style).

(josh Kennedy style).

big call :)
I like it :thumbsu:

Kennedy weighs in at 96 kilo's, that's some handy bulldozing leverage at stoppages but Duncan does have some size about him.
He gathered 6 contested possies a game this year so hoping he takes that to 8 or 9 each game along with maybe 22-24 touches a game?
That would make him our 3rd most important midfielder at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade: Geelong trades Round One compensation and No. 55 selection to Gold Coast for Josh Caddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back