Mitchell Thorp
thorp_r15_a.jpg

Games: 2
Goals: 1
Born: December 25, 1988
Height: 194cm
Weight: 87kg
Position: Forward

A key position player taken at pick 6 in the 2006 National Draft.
Thorp debuted against Richmond in round 15 and after a large media build up he played a promising game, including kicking a goal. An injury from that game mean't he was not unable to play the following week.
Call in as a late replacement , Thorp played his second game against Sydney in Round 2 2009.
Thorp had surgery to remove a bone fragment and have a pin inserted in his foot Thorp would take at least three months to recover from a broken sesamoid bone in his left foot. The injury ruled Thorp out for the rest of the 2009 season.

Taken in the first round of the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, (no. 6) overall, Mitchell had hip surgery late in his first season of AFL but before doing so managed to make a promising debut for the Hawks in Round 15.
Noted for his excellent finishing skills in and around goals, Mitchell is touted to be another spearhead up forward. However he is also gifted with a natural engine to run out games in the midfield as well making him a versatile weapon for the Hawks in coming seasons.
All those involved at the Hawks are keenly anticipating what looks to be a promising career for this Hawk, and are noting him as one to watch.

Would be a good assett to Carlton and would fill the second leading forward position well.
Carlton should look into him because for the right price it is very probable that Thorp could be a blue in 2010, only question is who would you trade?
Sam Jacobs+3rd Rounder?
I know he has had his injury problems but I think hes worth taking a chance on.
Still highly rated at Hawks but they are smart enough to know Thorp wont get the chances to play his best football there and I doubt he would be against the move.

Re: Mitch Thorp?

yeh i think we should try and get Thorp but it's gonna take more than Jacobs and a 3rd pick.

Mate I would absolutley love to get this bloke, Put him next to Fev and have Brendan groom him to one day take his spot, I can see him in blue I truely can but I think we would have to use draft picks for a trade because honestly who would they want that we would trade for Thorpey?

Armfield/Bentick or both for Thorp maybe?

Even that is hard, Armfields grown on me and bentick is a great player but didnt get a chance this year for some reason but Im in man love with this Mitch Thorp bloke if he hadnt had the injuries its possible Hawks might be in a position to defend there title right now, haha.

The problem with someone like Thorp is the problem that any club faces with a talented young draftee.

After investing so much time and effort into a player (particularly a Top 10 pick), clubs are always reluctant to trade them away for a lower pick - given the off chance that they could end up a star.

With that in mind, clubs will always look to keep the player for as long as he possibly can, in the hope that he eventually shows something.

Thorp is an enormous talent, he just needs to get his body right. Who knows whether that will happen, but hopefully it will be with us.

Fair enough, otherwise it would just be a matter of weighing him up against the asking price. I'd like us to look at a few kids first because they are cheaper and untapped.

I'd be more focused further up north, and trying to lure Henderson back from Brisbane. Not sure what his contract status is, but whilst Brown & Bradshaw are in that forward line, and Merrett, Patful & Roe are down back, he's barely going to get a look in.

Yes. Serious attitude problems. His body is stuffed as well.

Have you ever met the kid? How do you know he has serious attitude problems?

His body cant stay stuffed forever, i am sure that the luck will turn and provided the right opportunities, which is not at hawthorn, he can be a gun.

You have any better sugestions as for someone we could recruit to help our 1 man forward line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

have heard he has some serious attitude problems, a giant chip on his shoulder. Why not psych test him, he could be very frustrated with himself re injuries and the hawks, you never know what a new home could do for him?

I'd seriously have a crack, we need to groom a key forward asap!
how about jabcobs & grigga swapped for thorpe?

Edit: SHould have quoted HBF's post, but re: Henderson

But surely the Lions knew that when they took him.....and would be grooming him to replace Bradshaw who won't be around forever.......which draft was he?? Clubs don't expect much from the first two development years from their KPP's, just ask Thy ;)

I reckon they'll be dead keen on him as a work in progress and no way they'd offer him up lightly.

Have you ever met the kid? How do you know he has serious attitude problems?

His body cant stay stuffed forever, i am sure that the luck will turn and provided the right opportunities, which is not at hawthorn, he can be a gun.

You have any better sugestions as for someone we could recruit to help our 1 man forward line?

*sigh*

Yes I have, have you? the attitude problems are obvious when you do know him.

Yes his body can stay stuffed, it was stuffed while he was still at North Launceston and has gotten worse. The newest injury is a snapped sesamoid. Know much about sesamoids do you? It's much worse than the injury that ruined Adrian Whitehead's career.

Yes I have some suggestions, Kreuzer, Waite, Perhaps someone like Henderson as HBF suggested and the development of Yarran, Garlett, Tiller and I also see Walker as a forward.

*sigh*

Yes I have, have you? the attitude problems are obvious when you do know him.

Yes his body can stay stuffed, it was stuffed while he was still at North Launceston and has gotten worse. The newest injury is a snapped sesamoid. Know much about sesamoids do you? It's much worse than the injury that ruined Adrian Whitehead's career.

Yes I have some suggestions, Kreuzer, Waite, Perhaps someone like Henderson as HBF suggested and the development of Yarran, Garlett, Tiller and I also see Walker as a forward.

Next. :thumbsu:

I'd be more focused further up north, and trying to lure Henderson back from Brisbane. Not sure what his contract status is, but whilst Brown & Bradshaw are in that forward line, and Merrett, Patful & Roe are down back, he's barely going to get a look in.

He is deplorable, shouldn't be playing AFL.

It is MacDonald, the 2nd/3rd tall down back.

Not sure what the asking price would be on Henderson but i reckon it could be a good move also depending on the price.

I think the Hawks will persist with Thorp for 1 more season and go from there.

What about that young Kennedy bloke at WCE - looks a great KP prospect...?

Your "poor us" avatar must be one of the greater contradictions of late. That or you have virtually no knowledge of your clubs history.

I say we keep all our rucks until the GC arrives, at that point rucks will be at a premium and so will picks.

GC could sell us the earth for hammer.

Remember, it's all about getting the best out of a deal. Would love to keep Hammer, but if we are offered more than he is worth, then you deal, esp if you have Kruezer, Warnock, and Jacobs at the club still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Hypotheticals *MERGED THREADS*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back