Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren't there 5 compensation bands for free agents?

Band 1 rd 1 - ie immediately after your first round pick.

Band 2 end of rd 1 - self explanatory

Band 3 rd 2 - ie immediately after your rd 2 pick

Band 4 end of rd 2 - self explanatory

Band 5 - rd 3 - ie after your rd 3 pick

Posters including yourself seem to me to be leaping from Band 2 to Band 4 as if Band 3 doesn't exist. Brandon Ellis got us Band 3 compensation, but because we won the flag it ended up being a pick in the mid 40's. His contract from memory was 5 years x $575k BUT this was right near the top of the Band 3 compensation range. So a contract of say $475k pa might have attracted the same compo. So given the cap has increased roughly 25% from then, band 3 compensation might be triggered by a roughly $600k x 3 years offer. Band 3 compensation for us this year would be immediately after our Rd 2 pick. This is likely to be about pick 26 before the academy bids are inserted.

So let's just say for argument's sake Graham gets a $600k x 3 years offer and this is band 3 compensation, and (whilst speculating wildly) Dusty goes to Suns as a free agent for $750k x 2 years and this is band 4 compensation. Say pick 26 and pick 43.

And let's just say this was independent of any other pick trading for the minute. Richmond takes those 2 picks and trades them for say pick 18 with Carlton who might expect a bid for one of the Camporeales to fall between picks 18 and 26. Or some deal like that.

So that is the way in theory both Graham and Dusty leaving could be converted into 1 first round pick.

Nah, I’m aware of the bands. But if Ellis got us band 3 for a 5-year contract at $600k and the salary cap has skyrocketed since then, then no way Graham will get the same result… it’s 4 or 5 (which are basically the same). Dusty is also 33 turning 34yo, and age and length of tenure now both come into the equation, so he’s also a 5 at best.

No way in burning hell with the CFL give Richmond a band 3 for Graham or Martin. They’ll give us band 4 for Graham knowing it’s basically the same as 5, just to spite us.

But if we get 2 x picks around 40 it’s still super valuable for point swaps and the like, so it’s better than nada.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have no real issue with us retaining the likes of graham and kmac as long as theyre in the 2s as depth. In no way should there be veteran role players taking kids spots.

This is the biggest problem IMO with retaining these types of senior players. The temptation to play them is just too great as they are seen as improving the chances of winning. Look at 2024 … Pickett and Macca played basically every game until R9 or so, costing opportunities for Banks, Hugo, Smith etc…

We should retire off Pickett, Macca and Grimes without a second thought. And work hard to move Graham on as a free agent.

We won’t have as bad an injury run in 2025, and we can’t afford to have half a dozen players we see as the future not getting 15+ games each in 2025 as they languish behind C-grade senior players who keep getting selected.

2010 is the perfect example. Jordan McMahon was in his third season at the Tigers after being traded for pick-18 (Callan Ward). He’d played the last 7-games of 2009, getting 19+ touches in 5 of them. He had turned 26yo halfway through 2009. Dimma started in 2010. Did not play McMahon in a single game in 2010 as Dimma prioritised the kids, and by seasons end he was gone.

That’s the attitude we need to have. C-Grade or worse players 26yo+ should not take the field in 2025 …. ever, so we may as well retire them off.

I’m looking at: Pickett, Macca and Graham. I don’t care what anyone says, there is absolutely zero to be gained by playing them in 2025… zero.

Nah, I’m aware of the bands. But if Ellis got us band 3 for a 5-year contract at $600k and the salary cap has skyrocketed since then, then no way Graham will get the same result… it’s 4 or 5 (which are basically the same). Dusty is also 33 turning 34yo, and age and length of tenure now both come into the equation, so he’s also a 5 at best.

No way in burning hell with the CFL give Richmond a band 3 for Graham or Martin. They’ll give us band 4 for Graham knowing it’s basically the same as 5, just to spite us.

But if we get 2 x picks around 40 it’s still super valuable for point swaps and the like, so it’s better than nada.

Ellis went after the 2019 season. His contract was reported as 5 years @ $575k. There is no doubt this was the absolute upper limit of band 3, as the club had expected Ellis leaving to trigger band 2 compensation. So if $575k was the upper limit of Band 3, what would the lower limit have been? Surely that was around $450k? And overall in 2019 it was something like this for a player mid 20's in age:

Band 1 $750k+

Band 2 $580-750k

Band 3 $450-579k

Band 4 $350-449k

Band 5 $275-349k

Does that seem reasonable?

So let's work with $450k being the lower limit. The cap was approximately $12.8m in 2019. The cap is $15.8m now. The cap has increased 23.4%. So all things being equal that lower limit of band 3 will have risen by 23.4%. Or by approximately $105k.

So if all my numbers are anywhere near correct(they are educated guesses bar the reported Ellis wage) then it should follow the lower limit for Band 3 compo for a player Jack Graham's age should be somewhere between $555k to $600k ish. You would have to think then an offer of $600k x 3 years or more triggers band 3 compo for us, ie a rd 2 pick immediately after ours. Probably roughly pick 26 or so, sliding further if you actually used the pick to draft a player.

Of course the question would then be is any other club going to offer Jack Graham $600k x 3 years. I think that is far from out of the question. If he plays well between now and the end of the season it will of course help.

He's my first pick, but a few on here don't like him. I think he's a beast and is going to be one at AFL.

He's not mine but I do like him. Very much in the mix and will be interesting to see how he goes at the end of this year and Draft Combine testing etc.

The club was annoyed the Ellis compo wasn't end of first (band 2) the same as what the Eagles got the previous year for Lycett for the same contract length and amount. So 5 * 600 was border line band 2 and would expect that contract to still be band 3.

Based on 2023 salaries

Top five per cent = first-round pick 900K+

- Top 15 per cent = end-of-first-round pick 700K - 900K

- Top 30 per cent = second-round pick 550K - 700K

- Top 50 per cent = end-of-second-round pick 400K - 550K

- Top 70 per cent = third-round pick 300K - 400K

So if Dusty signed a 2 year deal at GC for $1.5M it would fall in band 2 but then the length and his age would bump it down to probably band 4.

Interesting
Gerreyn answered a couple of questions people had been asking in a confident display by the big man. He launched at contested marks all game and managed to clunk a couple of strong ones, and he dominated in his backup ruck stints against Country's secondary rucks. Overall, he continued to show the combination of size and skills that has draft watchers intrigued.

random question do any of the draft prospects come close to Reid or daicos stats wise ? it seems like a strong draft but no clear stars.

Interesting

random question do any of the draft prospects come close to Reid or daicos stats wise ? it seems like a strong draft but no clear stars.
Well those are two extremes. Nick Daicos averaged something like 35 disposals and 3 goals per game in NAB League games. Harley averaged something like 19 disposals and 2 goals last year.

There are plenty of guys averaging more stats this year than Harley.

As I have mentioned on the podcast a few times, we absolutely love Jonty Faull. Sam Lalor fast rising and likely one of our selections.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Reid in contention for the top 5
  • Ashcroft / Smillie / Smith / FOS in contention of #1
  • Trainor best KPP
  • Gross and Moraes had their best games against SA
  • Kako top 12 pick
  • Harry Armstrong impressed scouts
  • Ben Campo - first round
  • Lucas Campo - post first round
  • Draper SA's best prospect and had a comparison with Chad Warner.
  • Alex Dodson will be in hot demand (if he chooses footy)
  • Charlie Nichols - late first - early 2nd round.
  • Angus Clarke and Ned Bowman from SA bolters
  • Tobie Travaglia and Harvey Langford in top 15 mix
  • Cooper Hynes seen as a first round prospect
  • Sam Lalor top 10 prospect

• Reid in contention for the top 5
  • Ashcroft / Smillie / Smith / FOS in contention of #1
  • Trainor best KPP
  • Gross and Moraes had their best games against SA
  • Kako top 12 pick
  • Harry Armstrong impressed scouts
  • Ben Campo - first round
  • Lucas Campo - post first round
  • Draper SA's best prospect and had a comparison with Chad Warner.
  • Alex Dodson will be in hot demand (if he chooses footy)
  • Charlie Nichols - late first - early 2nd round.
  • Angus Clarke and Ned Bowman from SA bolters
  • Tobie Travaglia and Harvey Langford in top 15 mix
  • Cooper Hynes seen as a first round prospect
  • Sam Lalor top 10 prospect

There's like 40 guys to go top 25 lol

Based on 2023 salaries

Top five per cent = first-round pick 900K+

- Top 15 per cent = end-of-first-round pick 700K - 900K

- Top 30 per cent = second-round pick 550K - 700K

- Top 50 per cent = end-of-second-round pick 400K - 550K

- Top 70 per cent = third-round pick 300K - 400K

So if Dusty signed a 2 year deal at GC for $1.5M it would fall in band 2 but then the length and his age would bump it down to probably band 4.

Then if Graham gets an offer of $551k+ x 3 years he gets us a rd 2 pick, likely pick 26 or so. Noidnadroj

This is the biggest problem IMO with retaining these types of senior players. The temptation to play them is just too great as they are seen as improving the chances of winning. Look at 2024 … Pickett and Macca played basically every game until R9 or so, costing opportunities for Banks, Hugo, Smith etc…

We should retire off Pickett, Macca and Grimes without a second thought. And work hard to move Graham on as a free agent.

We won’t have as bad an injury run in 2025, and we can’t afford to have half a dozen players we see as the future not getting 15+ games each in 2025 as they languish behind C-grade senior players who keep getting selected.

2010 is the perfect example. Jordan McMahon was in his third season at the Tigers after being traded for pick-18 (Callan Ward). He’d played the last 7-games of 2009, getting 19+ touches in 5 of them. He had turned 26yo halfway through 2009. Dimma started in 2010. Did not play McMahon in a single game in 2010 as Dimma prioritised the kids, and by seasons end he was gone.

That’s the attitude we need to have. C-Grade or worse players 26yo+ should not take the field in 2025 …. ever, so we may as well retire them off.

I’m looking at: Pickett, Macca and Graham. I don’t care what anyone says, there is absolutely zero to be gained by playing them in 2025… zero.

Couldn’t agree more , I cringe when ooze says we get troops back what do Prestia and JG can block spots in the side and we’re no closer to seeing if tresize or smith can play

Back