Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies just another example why clubs shouldn't trade 1st round picks for players. Free agency should be the only avenue to use to get quality players in.
It's too risky and anything can happen the following year and you find yourself with no decent pick.
Talk of us trading future 1st rounders for this year is nonsense. You don't know what your giving up.

Pies just another example why clubs shouldn't trade 1st round picks for players. Free agency should be the only avenue to use to get quality players in.
It's too risky and anything can happen the following year and you find yourself with no decent pick.
Talk of us trading future 1st rounders for this year is nonsense. You don't know what your giving up.

Yes we do. A bottom four pick for a bottom four pick.

Talk of us trading future 1st rounders for this year is nonsense. You don't know what you’re giving up.
You can win big too. Just need to know when to hit the trigger

Yes we do. A bottom four pick for a bottom four pick.
That's naive thinking. You can't guarantee that next year's draft players will be equal or worse than this year's.
Could you imagine if we gave up our 1st round pick next year and we end up having a similar injury riddled season and finish dead last and find out next year's draft has another Harley Reid?
You dont trade your 1st round picks.

There's about half a dozen blokes on our VFL list that would be cheap upgrades to a few on our current list - be handy if we could pick up another Durham instead of just letting them slip through our fingers again.....

Last edited:
Ellis went after the 2019 season. His contract was reported as 5 years @ $575k. There is no doubt this was the absolute upper limit of band 3, as the club had expected Ellis leaving to trigger band 2 compensation. So if $575k was the upper limit of Band 3, what would the lower limit have been? Surely that was around $450k? And overall in 2019 it was something like this for a player mid 20's in age:

Band 1 $750k+

Band 2 $580-750k

Band 3 $450-579k

Band 4 $350-449k

Band 5 $275-349k

Does that seem reasonable?

So let's work with $450k being the lower limit. The cap was approximately $12.8m in 2019. The cap is $15.8m now. The cap has increased 23.4%. So all things being equal that lower limit of band 3 will have risen by 23.4%. Or by approximately $105k.

So if all my numbers are anywhere near correct(they are educated guesses bar the reported Ellis wage) then it should follow the lower limit for Band 3 compo for a player Jack Graham's age should be somewhere between $555k to $600k ish. You would have to think then an offer of $600k x 3 years or more triggers band 3 compo for us, ie a rd 2 pick immediately after ours. Probably roughly pick 26 or so, sliding further if you actually used the pick to draft a player.

Of course the question would then be is any other club going to offer Jack Graham $600k x 3 years. I think that is far from out of the question. If he plays well between now and the end of the season it will of course help.

I believe it’s changing so length of deal is more of a factor. It’s why they are saying Battle may trigger band-1 as if he leaves it’ll be a 6-year deal, even if it’s $850k/season.

So if Ellis got a 5-year deal for a total of approx $2.85m, and Graham gets a 3-year deal paying a total of approx $1.65m in a much larger salary cap, then I’ll be beyond surprised if the CFL give us band-3. For the same reason, if Dusty gets a 2-year deal, even if it’s on $700k/season given he’s 33yo and it’s 2-years, it’ll be band-5 or maybe no compo. (Isaac Smith was 31yo on a 2-year deal and got Hawks band-5).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe it’s changing so length of deal is more of a factor. It’s why they are saying Battle may trigger band-1 as if he leaves it’ll be a 6-year deal, even if it’s $850k/season.

So if Ellis got a 5-year deal for a total of approx $2.85m, and Graham gets a 3-year deal paying a total of approx $1.65m in a much larger salary cap, then I’ll be beyond surprised if the CFL give us band-3. For the same reason, if Dusty gets a 2-year deal, even if it’s on $700k/season given he’s 33yo and it’s 2-years, it’ll be band-5 or maybe no compo. (Isaac Smith was 31yo on a 2-year deal and got Hawks band-5).

If Dusty wants to head to GC then Richmond should be offering to pay his salary for a year for pick 7 trade.

A player who gets a $700k+ deal for 2 years is getting some compo, it would be ludicrous if he didn't. I accept it would be diluted if the player is 33 but not totally dissolved. Nobody is paying a guy that money unless he is a very valuable player.

Graham might get a 4 year offer. If it was 4 years at $600k this simply has to be band 3 compensation. Battle on $850k x 4 years gets band 2 compo right? And if it is correct a longer term deal jacks this to band 1 then that doesn't stand as a reason why Graham getting a 4 year deal relegates him from band 3. Even a 3 year deal he may attract band 3. 3 & 4 years are perfectly normal contract lengths. An abnormally long contract perhaps jacks you into a higher band, an abnormally low contract relegates you to a lower band. But a normal length contract should just place you in the expected band. So I am sticking to my belief that IF Graham gets a 3 or 4 year offer around $560k+ we should expect to be in receipt of band 3 compensation.

A player who gets a $700k+ deal for 2 years is getting some compo, it would be ludicrous if he didn't. I accept it would be diluted if the player is 33 but not totally dissolved. Nobody is paying a guy that money unless he is a very valuable player.

Graham might get a 4 year offer. If it was 4 years at $600k this simply has to be band 3 compensation. Battle on $850k x 4 years gets band 2 compo right? And if it is correct a longer term deal jacks this to band 1 then that doesn't stand as a reason why Graham getting a 4 year deal relegates him from band 3. Even a 3 year deal he may attract band 3. 3 & 4 years are perfectly normal contract lengths. An abnormally long contract perhaps jacks you into a higher band, an abnormally low contract relegates you to a lower band. But a normal length contract should just place you in the expected band. So I am sticking to my belief that IF Graham gets a 3 or 4 year offer around $560k+ we should expect to be in receipt of band 3 compensation.
Your biggest mistake is assuming the AFL won't just pick a number based on the club losing the player and just the vibe

That's naive thinking. You can't guarantee that next year's draft players will be equal or worse than this year's.
Could you imagine if we gave up our 1st round pick next year and we end up having a similar injury riddled season and finish dead last and find out next year's draft has another Harley Reid?
You dont trade your 1st round picks.

It's more naive to think that next years no.1 will be a better player than any other player in the top 5, when in the past 25 years only Nick Riewoldt would still go number 1 in a redraft with injury permitting Harley Reid to join him.

Harley Reid would have gone number 1 had he been drafted 12 months earlier, he is best u18 prospect to come through the system. We already know there is no Harley Reid in next years draft.

Come the day of the draft we will be in a better position to evaluate this years talent versus next years but the point I am arguing is if we rate a player high enough that we are willing to risk a future first which could be a pick 1 to 6 then we should definitely consider it.

Best mids in the comp are between 180-187 with the exception of maybe 3-4
FOS is 182 if you look at the height listings but chances are he has probably grown or will 1-2cm and end up around 184cm

I just want a player that can football and has good speed good kick and great footy IQ

Would love a FOS/Lalor double

Dusty is 187. He’s probably the greatest Richmond player ever and can’t take an aerial mark to save his life. Similar situation with Lachie Neale.

Meanwhile Bont (194) and Fyfe (192) are great aerial marks. Not saying they are better players than Dusty but we need strong aerial marks in our team, 182cm doesn’t give us that no matter how good he is.

Back