Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not accepting two second round picks for Baker. We need to get a first for him.
Might not have a choice if he picks Eagles. At least we have the means to turn it into a 1st rounder with other picks.

Baker would be straight up stupid to choose Eagles over Freo though. Eagles are more ****ed than we are.

Might not have a choice if he picks Eagles. At least we have the means to turn it into a 1st rounder with other picks.

Baker would be straight up stupid to choose Eagles over Freo though. Eagles are more ****ed than we are.

He's going to choose WCE if he leaves. Which I’m confident he will.

WCE will need to find a pick that suits us. Whether they split pick 3 or offer us a future first and a second rounder this year. Whatever it is, I’m not just laying down and accepting picks that aren’t worth what Baker is.

He's going to choose WCE if he leaves. Which I’m confident he will.

WCE will need to find a pick that suits us. Whether they split pick 3 or offer us a future first and a second rounder this year. Whatever it is, I’m not just laying down and accepting picks that aren’t worth what Baker is.
It just makes no sense for Eagles to do either of those trades given where they're at.

Will be interesting.

Only way we get pick 3 has Bolton in that conversation and from what I’ve been informed, both of our players want the wrong clubs for us to get maximum value from if they leave.

Bolton has eyes for Freo.

Baker only wants WCE.

Which makes capitalising full value very hard.

If Bolton wanted WCE, we have the basis of a deal with pick 3 easily coming into calculations.

If Baker was open to Freo, one of their three firsts are easily what we can start the deal at.

Unfortunately for us, if they decide they want to go, it’s not gonna be an easy deal to do.
Would actually work if they both went, send them both to the clubs they want to go with the picks being swapped on paper.
I'm too lazy to actually work it out myself, but I'm sure it could be done.

Last edited:
**** FOS, Smillie etc. Sign this little campaigner up, or at least make him kicking coach....

Ball goes over the fence around 8:30 on coverage of the Northern Bullants v Richmond2 match on Sunday just gone.

The boundary ump is not allowed over the fence so the ball is just sitting there on the ground for about 15 seconds. Then Mini-Dusty, who wouldn't be as high as the fence, swoops, picks up the ball in a oner....

1720444465399.png

He then faces his target chest on and starts moving towards it in a perfectly straight line, no funky stuff as he deliberates over this all important kick....

1720444621376.png

Steadies for the ball drop....

1720444702676.png

Proves he is Richmond through and through by going for the chaos kick ball drop, then goes bang...

1720444897019.png

Hits the female boundary ump right on the sports-bra cup....

1720445055595.png

Then waltzes off with all the alacrity of Dusty slotting yet another near impossible Grand Final goal. :)

1720445245233.png

There is a touch of Angus Young about him with the schoolboy cap and shoes as well. Preston were never ever getting back into this game once they saw the mighty little Tiger do that. :cool:

Last edited:
Pick 23 and F2 from Eagles would be a good deal for us for Baker.

A deal for Bolton would be easy. They have 3 1st rounders, we take all of them even if we have to give something back later.

That'd leave us with 1, 10, 13, 16 and 21 with the option of trading for Blues or Lions 1st still available (12 or 17), plus an F2.

Having said that I think we hold on to Bolton and hopefully Baker and offload Rioli to Suns for 2 x 1sts instead. That'd be something like 1, 7, 8, 12/17 and 23 come draft time.
23 & F2.
Do we at least ask them to spit before they go in or are you happy for it to be dry.

Gotta give it thay hawk tuah and spit on that thang
Scarlett Johansson Reaction GIF

Sorry, misread your post at first.

Green was the most athletic of the 3 before Smillie tested to become the 4th.

Green is not slow either.
I know this is going to be a really big ask :p

But would be absolutely fantastic if you could make a list with the following players testing
Smillie , FOS , Smith , Draper , Lalor , Ashcroft which look likely to form the top 6-10 mids and being discussed in the one post like a comparison. Im sure it will come in really handy in the future as a reference point for most on BF

PLease sir ;)

Comprehension not your strong point. To take over as head recruiter for an AFL club, who he was looking to replace is irrelevant.

Better off watching a few YouTube clips like yourself then, it's that easy.
Jesus Christ. You're dumber than your stupid mate.

You were arguing that your dumb friend's judgement could not be called into question because he works in recruiting. I then provided several examples of recruiting judgements that were shithouse. And there are hundreds more.

Can you comprehend that???

Hoppers 20m times aren’t really too far off in his draft year.

Pretty similar to Smillie.

Smillie ran a 3.077 as an underager last year and 3.093 this preseason

FOS ran a 3.188 in preseason last year and 3.046 this preseason.

I wouldn’t describe FOS as quick, he’s very agile, which may give the impression he is quick around the contest given his change of didirection
When they start playing footy on a basketball court, in runners, without a ball, and the object is to run 20m in a straight line as fast as possible, after someone tells you when to go, those numbers might mean something.

As you rightly state, FOS is footy quick. I'm sure that's just another of the reasons you prefer him to Smillie as well.

Jesus Christ. You're dumber than your stupid mate.

You were arguing that your dumb friend's judgement could not be called into question because he works in recruiting. I then provided several examples of recruiting judgements that were shithouse. And there are hundreds more.

Can you comprehend that???
Er, no I wasn't. Anything can be questioned, but an expert opinion holds alot more weight than someone like yourself who pretends to know it all after watching a few clips online. To say you can't trust any experts because some poor selections have been made in the past shows just how your head works.

Keep it up, hero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If what Tiger71 proves to be correct, and Bolton, Baker and Rioli all stay.
Will our draft hand be uninspiring? Or will there still be a chance we can get multiple first round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Said it before and I'll say it again the only way you trade Bolton and/or Rioli is if they request a trade and even then you only do it for absolute top value, if not they stay and honour their contract much like Papley has with Sydney.

IMO we're setting the scene for that to happen, by stating publicly that both are required players and won't be traded, which let's opposition club know that there is little point asking the question unless they have a genuine offer to propose.

Bolton is easy for us if he wants Freo. We set the price and they come up with it they get him, if they don't, they don't.

There are potential ways they can satisfy us if say we tell them we want a top 6 pick plus something else for Bolton. They can trade all their available 1st round picks(3 this year, 1 next year) for a high pick with another club potentially. Eagles for a prime example. Eagles trade out their top pick for the 4 Freo picks. Freo gives us the pick 2/3 for Bolton. Eagles give us the highest value Freo 1st rounder for Baker.

Hopefully we don't lose both those players, but that is how something like that could work. Freo are all out for their first flag so 4 picks likely between 12 & 20 for Bolton would be justifiable for them.
Fremantle have made some trade blunders in their time but 4 R1 picks for Bolton would go straight to the top of the list.

RICHMOND

The club’s draft rivals believe the Tigers are zeroing in on 194cm Eastern Ranges midfielder Josh Smillie. The Tigers just inherited the No.1 pick – on current ladder position – from North Melbourne and will surely keep it, given they are injury-ravaged and the Kangaroos are rising with a bullet. The Tigers would love the No.1 pick to be clear-cut and a Harley Reid type, but some recruiters still believe Smillie and Victorian mid Finn O’Sullivan are the best two kids, then a gap to the rest including Vic Metro mid Jagga Smith, Lions’ father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft and Victorian interceptor Luke Trainor.

The problem is that Smillie hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in his three under-18 games so far, with a clash to come against Vic Country on Sunday.

Smillie showed glimpses in a nine-clearance contest against Western Australia, but has 17, 22 and 20 touches in those U18 games and wouldn’t be a lock for All Australian honours.

So ideally he torches Vic Country, has an even stronger back-end to his season and makes it easy for the Tigers, who need more elite mids to help Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.

What is the absolute best draft haul Richmond could secure if they wanted to maximise their draft hand? Right now they have pick 1, 21, 36 (Fremantle’s second-rounder), 39 and 41 plus a heap of back-end picks.

They could secure pick 10 to 13 for Baker and two first-rounders for Rioli, albeit the Roos one, which ends up at pick 28 to 30. So they could have pick 1, 8 (the Dogs’ first-rounder for Rioli), pick 12 (for Baker), 21, 28 (the Roos-end-of-first-rounder), 36, 39, and 41.

Those picks will shuffle around with father-son and Next Generation Academy picks, but it would give them three top-15 picks, five top-30 picks and eight selections within 41.

It’s a spectacular starting point for the rejig, restump and rewire under Adem Yze, even before unrestricted free agent Jack Graham considers his future.

If Bakes chooses WC then they'll have to work with us to get a deal done. They can't walk him through either draft as Freo/us have picks before them.

Only way we get pick 3 has Bolton in that conversation and from what I’ve been informed, both of our players want the wrong clubs for us to get maximum value from if they leave.

Bolton has eyes for Freo.

Baker only wants WCE.

Which makes capitalising full value very hard.

If Bolton wanted WCE, we have the basis of a deal with pick 3 easily coming into calculations.

If Baker was open to Freo, one of their three firsts are easily what we can start the deal at.

Unfortunately for us, if they decide they want to go, it’s not gonna be an easy deal to do.
May there could be a 3 way deal if both decide they want to go.
something like this maybe

Freo get Bolton
eagles get baker + 2 x late 1st rounds from freo
Tigers get pick 3 plus freos earliest 1st round pick

Fremantle have made some trade blunders in their time but 4 R1 picks for Bolton would go straight to the top of the list.

It is better expressed as likely 4 picks between around 12 and 20. Just adding up the draft pick values on the index, that type of deal might need to be equalised a bit by 2 early second rounders rather than the one I suggested, or maybe it is just their 3 x 2024 rd 1 picks to us, but I would be wanting more than that if they are going to end up where it looks most likely, picks around 13, 16 and 20.

The deal needs to be substantially in our favour, because Bolton is contracted and a very uniquely talented player. Even with pick 1 you can't just find a guy like that. He has played what would normally be in full length matches 20 and 19 rated games in competitive finals, including a Grand Final, as a 21yo. To give a comparison, Collingwood fans are still going moist over Nick Daycare's 13.5 rated Grand Final in 2023 as a 20yo. Even this year he has a 26 rated game against the Swans and another one the week after that. This is one of those players where you are in a tight prelim and/or GF in the third term you are not thinking jeez we wish we still had all those late first round picks. He can straight out win you a game like that without the opposition having any way to stop him. He is tough, durable and can destroy opponents on the ground or in the air, or can provide big pressure if required(7 tackles and 16 pressure acts in the shortened 2020 GF.)

All of that is why Freo are specifically targetting Bolton. That, and knowing they are probably headed for the top 4 this year and have 3 x 2023 rd 1 picks and 1 x 2024 rd 1 picks to bargain with.

To give a comparison, Jeremy Cameron, who would be a miles easier matchup in a final, and has a very ordinary finals record(his best 2 finals from 15 finals don't rate as high in combination as Bolton's best 2 finals as a 21yo) was traded as a 27yo(roughly 2 years older than Bolton will be) for picks that ended up at 15, 18 and 25 at the draft, with picks that ended up at 32 & 35 going back to the Cats. And Cameron was a free agent where Bolton is long contracted and 2 years younger. We want a lot more than that. Bolton is younger, a better player and is contracted for years and all 3 elements should add a separate layer of value to that Cameron trade. Cameron went for draft points amounting to the value of pick 6. Tim Kelly on the back of 2 big finals as a 25yo went to Eagles for around the value of pick 2. But Kelly was out of contract. So we are in a position to ask for more than this for Bolton. At the end of the day, Fremantle need to make the deal attractive to Richmond. And they need to ask themselves what are they prepared to sacrifice to have a Shai Bolton on the paddock in a Fremantle jumper in the second half of a tight Preliminary or Grand Final. I am sticking to my 4 x rd 1 picks with maybe 1-2 early rd 2 picks back to make this deal happen.

If what Tiger71 proves to be correct, and Bolton, Baker and Rioli all stay.
Will our draft hand be uninspiring? Or will there still be a chance we can get multiple first round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At the moment we have picks 1, 21, 36, 39, 41 and some later picks that may prove of no value if a new draft points system is introduced. Those picks from 21 onwards will slide a few places before we get the chance to trade them. so let's say they will sit at 24, 40, 44, 46 when we can trade them to clubs who need points to match bids. Those points will probably get us a late top 10 pick, meaning we could head to the draft with picks 1, 9 and some picks in the 50's. That is without losing any players.

Our other hope from there would be Jack Graham gets an offer of about $560k+ x 3 or 4 years we would receive a compensation pick around pick 25. If we went to the draft with this pick it would probably be pushed down to around pick 30 on the night. So we could take picks 1, 9 and 30 and maybe one pick around 50 on draft night if things went that way.

Whether Jack Graham is playing well enough to attract that type of offer I am not sure. But that would be a very nice draft hand. If say Baker went to Eagles then we are likely to be able to turn any picks we got for him plus any Graham compo into another top 10 or fringe top 10 pick. In that case we might have something like picks 1, 9, 10 50.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back