Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be shocked if the number 1 pick isn't Smillie or FOS.
Expecting a few surprises by November with the top 10, but I would be shocked if the top pick wasn't one of those two. It's rare that the expected top 2 picks don't eventuate this close to November.

What people don’t realise is there is years of data not weeks. I think you may be right although Lalor and Draper in the question too.

Expecting a few surprises by November with the top 10, but I would be shocked if the top pick wasn't one of those two. It's rare that the expected top 2 picks don't eventuate this close to November.
Yep,but I would take Murphy Reid before
Yep,but I would take Murphy Reid before them two

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' July ranking - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1173505
If his rankings were to hold up come the draft and we were able to trade Rioli & Baker for 2-3 picks in the 6-12 range while keeping 1 we could well fix the list in an instant. FOS, Smith, Lalor & Draper plus a couple of KPF in the 2nd round and the team would look quite a bit better heading into next year.

But we all know that deep down the club isn't doing anything that will put us in that position, so we'll end up with a bust at pick 1, RCD/Dow quality at 21 and a bunch of role players who just need half a dozen games to establish themselves as solid B graders.

If his rankings were to hold up come the draft and we were able to trade Rioli & Baker for 2-3 picks in the 6-12 range while keeping 1 we could well fix the list in an instant. FOS, Smith, Lalor & Draper plus a couple of KPF in the 2nd round and the team would look quite a bit better heading into next year.

But we all know that deep down the club isn't doing anything that will put us in that position, so we'll end up with a bust at pick 1, RCD/Dow quality at 21 and a bunch of role players who just need half a dozen games to establish themselves as solid B graders.
What this highlights, amongst other posts, is the club will really be showing their hand this off season and that comes with huge expectation from the fans.

Here is a question I have been mulling for a while. You have 2 players who look identical in the way they play. Everything else between them is the same. The only difference is that;

Player A - Has proved consistent output in U16 - U18. Has had good games consistently but has never had a period of where he was undisputedly the best in the competition for that period. Consistent top performer for the U18 league and was always named as one of the bests in the carnival games

Player B - Played well enough in the U16 and U17 to be maintained on junior talent lists, but for his draft year has come on. He is shooting the lights out and looks like he is a top 10 talent in the draft. Kills the carnival and wins the Larke Medal.

My gut feeling is that Player A is the safer bet as he has shown a level of consistency over multiple years. Flip side is that maybe it has all "Clicked" for player B and his ceiling is huge.

I just sometimes worry about the players that get put in mock drafts when I hear the words "Has really come on and shown strong performances this year".

If we stay at pick 1 and Draper looks to be around the #1 mark do we trade Pick 1 to Adelaide for Pick 5 and and a 2025 1st. They will want to pick SA kids. If Trainor goes to North then we could get faller out of Smith/Smillie/FOS or whoever jumps up the order and still have a future 1st from Adelaide which would probably still be a top 5-8 pick.

I have a strong suspicion we are on Smilie atm.

I agree. I think Toce likes to swing for the fences.
He's got shitforbrains if he goes Smillie at 1.

Going to need a top 10 is my worry. Hopefully Baker goes to Freo and he's available at whatever pick that is.
If someone wants to take Armstrong top-10 that's their folly.

Reminds me Cotchin. Same movement out of a contest. He could be no.1 by end of the year.
Doesn't have Cotch's pace and power.

Cotchin but with Gulden's foot skills....:eekv1:
Neither. Doesn't have anything like Gulden's penetration. Kicks a lot of up-and-unders. Good player but not at the level of Cotch or Gulden.

It's not funny.
It is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back