Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok hear me out.

Right now we hold pick 1, 21 & 35 in the first 2 rounds. What if the following was to unfold

Baker chooses WCE who then trade back with Fremantle so they can then target a WA kid like Bo Allen in the draft and get picks 7 & 14 for 3 & 23. They then trade 14 to us for Baker.

Gold Coast comes hard for Daniel and trades picks 8, 9 & 20 for Daniel & 14.

Fremantle now armed with picks 3 & 10 then come late for Bolton & 9 offering both in a last minute all or nothing roll of the dice.

We lose Baker Bolton & Rioli but hit the draft with 1, 3, 8, 10, 20 & 21 in the first 2 rounds. Which could mean adding Draper Smith Langford Lalor with the first 4 picks and then target KPPs with the next 2.

We could then trade our remaining picks for 2025 picks and set up another raid in the draft .

A man can dream
Please, this would be so good. Look what you have done to me. Now I'm expecting this at a minimum.

Honestly, I want Harvey Langford and Tobie Travaglia + two of the talls in the early second round (i.e., two of Jonty Faull, Jack Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan, or Thomas Sims). Sims had an almost game last weekend, but he still showed what he can do.

Maybe we can squeeze Xavier Lindsay and Jagga Smith/Sid Draper somewhere in there, clean the draft table after dining in and go home!

If we can turn Baker into Armstrong, we are *

Looking at that if we play our cards right we could conceivably end up with Smillie/FOS/Smith, Lalor, Armstrong and Faull at the cost of Rioli.

Omg GIF by WE tv

Please, this would be so good. Look what you have done to me. Now I'm expecting this at a minimum.
would want more Baker than just mid teens pick, shit they got #7 & #31 for Shultz !

Would kind of make this year worth it for that to happen.

But knowing how we operate, we'll keep them all despite big offers to trade then, will sign up everyone else trade a handful of late picks for 10c in the $ value and have the club claim we nailed the off season

Ok hear me out.

Right now we hold pick 1, 21 & 35 in the first 2 rounds. What if the following was to unfold

Baker chooses WCE who then trade back with Fremantle so they can then target a WA kid like Bo Allen in the draft and get picks 7 & 14 for 3 & 23. They then trade 14 to us for Baker.

Gold Coast comes hard for Daniel and trades picks 8, 9 & 20 for Daniel & 14.

Fremantle now armed with picks 3 & 10 then come late for Bolton & 9 offering both in a last minute all or nothing roll of the dice.

We lose Baker Bolton & Rioli but hit the draft with 1, 3, 8, 10, 20 & 21 in the first 2 rounds. Which could mean adding Draper Smith Langford Lalor with the first 4 picks and then target KPPs with the next 2.

We could then trade our remaining picks for 2025 picks and set up another raid in the draft .

A man can dream
I think we should keep Bolton, but if we were to trade him I’d want a fair bit more than that. Don’t think we’d be giving them pick 9. We are talking about an elite talent, that could win Freo their first Premiership.

Agree with the rest though,Rioli and Baker will never be worth more than they are now.

I think we should keep Bolton, but if we were to trade him I’d want a fair bit more than that. Don’t think we’d be giving them pick 9. We are talking about an elite talent, that could win Freo their first Premiership.

Agree with the rest though,Rioli and Baker will never be worth more than they are now.
Yep keep Bolton. He's not going to lose value next year, can re-evaluate where we are at in a year and so can he.

I'll never forget back in 2009 when my old man text me saying "We are using pick 3 on a kid called Dustin Martin, forget John Butcher, this is the kid"

At the time, the top 3 were Scully, Tregrove & Butcher. When I mentioned this to the guys at work they all started laughing going "Nice, another botch pick my Richmond, this kid isn't even mentioned in the top 20 in any articles".

One of my all time favorite stories!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Keeping Bolton is important. He can be one of the best players in the competition. Adding Bolton to Freo’s current team is exactly what they need. Two top 10 picks is the minimum to even consider trading him. At least keep him for another year or two so there’s no potential he plays over 100 games for them!!

Yep keep Bolton. He's not going to lose value next year, can re-evaluate where we are at in a year and so can he.
Yeah agree and he’s a unique talent, who would be so hard to replace. Losing him would make our midfield very one paced and we lose our most dangerous forward
Baker and Rioli are replaceable. I mean no disrespect, they are great players and clubmen , but if they are initiating a move, then it’s perfect timing for us, at the start of our rebuild

As I said previously I don't think any of them actually leave, Baker being the most likely to though.

But it does show how taking an aggressive mindset to the trade period could work if those players were to come to the club in September and say I'm done please trade me

Would kind of make this year worth it for that to happen.

But knowing how we operate, we'll keep them all despite big offers to trade then, will sign up everyone else trade a handful of late picks for 10c in the $ value and have the club claim we nailed the off season
Not you too RT. For Gods sake people, have a little faith in Blair and his team

Agree. Keeping Bolton is important. He can be one of the best players in the competition. Adding Bolton to Freo’s current team is exactly what they need. Two top 10 picks is the minimum to even consider trading him. At least keep him for another year or two so there’s no potential he plays over 100 games for them!!
Yep and the thing with this draft is the depth and evenness, there’s no standout like last year. The potential for this draft is to pick up A grade quality into the late teens early 20s.
You’d want to know that you were getting a generational player in the draft, with any deal involving Bolton, and that player
/s is probably not there this year

As I said previously I don't think any of them actually leave, Baker being the most likely to though.

But it does show how taking an aggressive mindset to the trade period could work if those players were to come to the club in September and say I'm done please trade me
I think Bakers gone. Rioli could go either way. Bolton definitely staying. Graham should go.

Baker and Graham (if Cleary is right on his value) plus our late picks will give us 5 top 30 picks. Rioli going would make 7 which is too many imo. 5 is a good number to bring in.

7 means half will struggle to get games and likely leave.

Obviously there will be opportunities to trade into next year with teams keen to get into this draft and if they were able to do that with our natural 2nd and Graham compo and turn them into F1 picks meaning 4 x top 25 picks next year then maybe it can work.

Yep and the thing with this draft is the depth and evenness, there’s no standout like last year. The potential for this draft is to pick up A grade quality into the late teens early 20s.
You’d want to know that you were getting a generational player in the draft, with any deal involving Bolton, and that player
/s is probably not there this year
And you want to add those young A grade talents to play under Bolton, so once they hit there straps in 2-3 years Bolton is still in his prime with Taranto, Hopper, Balta, Gibcus and co. This draft could be huge if we hit it right. We can add at least 3 A potential graders without even considering trading Bolton.

I’m all for keeping Bolton, would suck watching him take screamers for another team.

I think Bakers gone. Rioli could go either way. Bolton definitely staying. Graham should go.

Baker and Graham (if Cleary is right on his value) plus our late picks will give us 5 top 30 picks. Rioli going would make 7 which is too many imo. 5 is a good number to bring in.

Obviously there will be opportunities to trade into next year with teams keen to get into this draft and if they were able to do that with our natural 2nd and Graham compo and turn them into F1 picks meaning 4 x top 25 picks next year then maybe it can work.
I agree, 5 is the sweet spot.

2 x explosive mids
1 x KPF
1 x small/med forward
I x defender

Balmey thinks he’s staying (Bakes), but Balmey does toe the company line 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back