Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok hear me out.

Right now we hold pick 1, 21 & 35 in the first 2 rounds. What if the following was to unfold

Baker chooses WCE who then trade back with Fremantle so they can then target a WA kid like Bo Allen in the draft and get picks 7 & 14 for 3 & 23. They then trade 14 to us for Baker.

Gold Coast comes hard for Daniel and trades picks 8, 9 & 20 for Daniel & 14.

Fremantle now armed with picks 3 & 10 then come late for Bolton & 9 offering both in a last minute all or nothing roll of the dice.

We lose Baker Bolton & Rioli but hit the draft with 1, 3, 8, 10, 20 & 21 in the first 2 rounds. Which could mean adding Draper Smith Langford Lalor with the first 4 picks and then target KPPs with the next 2.

We could then trade our remaining picks for 2025 picks and set up another raid in the draft .

A man can dream
so loose 3 of our top end players and draft picks for 4 draftees?
i am all for trading out players that want to leave but i want much better than that for the contracted players
i can live with 14 for Baker but want more
Bolton and Daniel has to be extreme overs to be even slightly interested 3 firsts each

now thats a mans dream

Ok hear me out.

Right now we hold pick 1, 21 & 35 in the first 2 rounds. What if the following was to unfold

Baker chooses WCE who then trade back with Fremantle so they can then target a WA kid like Bo Allen in the draft and get picks 7 & 14 for 3 & 23. They then trade 14 to us for Baker.

Gold Coast comes hard for Daniel and trades picks 8, 9 & 20 for Daniel & 14.

Fremantle now armed with picks 3 & 10 then come late for Bolton & 9 offering both in a last minute all or nothing roll of the dice.

We lose Baker Bolton & Rioli but hit the draft with 1, 3, 8, 10, 20 & 21 in the first 2 rounds. Which could mean adding Draper Smith Langford Lalor with the first 4 picks and then target KPPs with the next 2.

We could then trade our remaining picks for 2025 picks and set up another raid in the draft .

A man can dream
Slightly underselling Bakes, massively underselling Shai. Horrendous.

LDU had a very similar year to Smillie.

Dominant at u18 level, huge finals series, quiet in Champs.
Cool, look forward to your excitement when Norf draft him.

You keep pumping him up on our board like you're going to influence Toce to draft him. We know you want FOS. So do we. Sorry pal. But you get Guy Smillie! Yay! Look how good you keep saying he is!

I'll never forget back in 2009 when my old man text me saying "We are using pick 3 on a kid called Dustin Martin, forget John Butcher, this is the kid"

At the time, the top 3 were Scully, Tregrove & Butcher. When I mentioned this to the guys at work they all started laughing going "Nice, another botch pick my Richmond, this kid isn't even mentioned in the top 20 in any articles".

One of my all time favorite stories!!!
Great story, except Dusty was AA, was talked about at the top end all year and especially post-Champs, and we were locked onto him a long way out. (Like a year.)

so loose 3 of our top end players and draft picks for 4 draftees?
i am all for trading out players that want to leave but i want much better than that for the contracted players
i can live with 14 for Baker but want more
Bolton and Daniel has to be extreme overs to be even slightly interested 3 firsts each

now thats a mans dream

Slightly underselling Bakes, massively underselling Shai. Horrendous.
What people expect we'll get for players leaving and what we'll actually end up with are going to be totally different.

I think Bakers gone. Rioli could go either way. Bolton definitely staying. Graham should go.

Baker and Graham (if Cleary is right on his value) plus our late picks will give us 5 top 30 picks. Rioli going would make 7 which is too many imo. 5 is a good number to bring in.

7 means half will struggle to get games and likely leave.

Obviously there will be opportunities to trade into next year with teams keen to get into this draft and if they were able to do that with our natural 2nd and Graham compo and turn them into F1 picks meaning 4 x top 25 picks next year then maybe it can work.
I reckon Baker stays. He doesn't seem interested in Freo only WC. Where WC's list is at the moment they need to be going to the draft just as much as us. It would be irresponsible of them to be wasting high draft picks on someone like Baker at this moment in time. If I was them I would tell Baker to re-sign up to when he gets free agency status and commit to taking him on then.

I reckon Baker stays. He doesn't seem interested in Freo only WC. Where WC's list is at the moment they need to be going to the draft just as much as us. It would be irresponsible of them to be wasting high draft picks on someone like Baker at this moment in time. If I was them I would tell Baker to re-sign up to when he gets free agency status and commit to taking him on then.
I must admit I'm surprised WC are keen. Freo makes the most sense for every party.

Not you too RT. For Gods sake people, have a little faith in Blair and his team
It's about 3 months until trade period starts, the team sucks and there is little else to get excited about until Baker re-signs or announces he's leaving. So why not generate a bit of conversation and give people some hope.
As I said I'm quite comfortable in knowing that what we're planning on doing is nothing like what posters are suggesting

What people expect we'll get for players leaving and what we'll actually end up with are going to be totally different.
Bolton is contracted for four more years. He could be the difference for Freo to win a flag. Either they pay up or we keep him. You are giving him away for a pittance unnecessarily.

Bolton is contracted for four more years. He could be the difference for Freo to win a flag. Either they pay up or we keep him. You are giving him away for a pittance unnecessarily.
No I'm making suggestions based on him saying he wants out. Sure he's contracted and we'll ask for plenty if he wants out, I just don't believe we'll get as much as people are wanting.

No I'm making suggestions based on him saying he wants out. Sure he's contracted and we'll ask for plenty if he wants out, I just don't believe we'll get as much as people are wanting.
We'd get way ****ing more than you're suggesting. You're trading Shai and a top-10 kid for one slightly better and one slightly worse top-10 kid, in an even draft. That's the opposite of plenty. Basically Shai for say Lalor, when we hold all the cards. It's shit-all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small forward yes. Defenders and small defenders. No thanks think there are plenty of those currently on the list. Brown banks Trezise smith etc.

Mids and forwards
If we lose DRioli and Baker, another running HB couldnt hurt.

Small forward yes. Defenders and small defenders. No thanks think there are plenty of those currently on the list. Brown banks Trezise smith etc.

Mids and forwards
How about trading a late 3rd to Sydney for Wicks. Seems like a Castagna that can kick but is very fringe at Sydney.

They need a list balance too many older players at the end and bringing in younger players
Baker is in between with leadership, experience
Premierships etc.
They should be doing that via FA though not using draft capital. He would be a FA if he was drafted at 18 too lol

A huge step forward for Jack Whitlock in this game, answering a lot of the questions that draft watchers had been pondering. He clunked the big contested marks that he had been struggling to hold on to, he was clean at ground level and he hit the scoreboard. He proved that when he gets to run and jump few key defenders can reach high enough to disrupt him.

I'll never forget back in 2009 when my old man text me saying "We are using pick 3 on a kid called Dustin Martin, forget John Butcher, this is the kid"

At the time, the top 3 were Scully, Tregrove & Butcher. When I mentioned this to the guys at work they all started laughing going "Nice, another botch pick my Richmond, this kid isn't even mentioned in the top 20 in any articles".

One of my all time favorite stories!!!
Your work mates were not really paying much attention to the draftees that year then. Dusty was rising up the ranks like a bullet as the year progressed.

There was a reason Sydney were trying to trade their two first round picks (I think pick 7 and 9?) for our pick 3; and why we didn't take that trade.

His better footy at VFL level was off the HBF
I actually agree and reckon his best footy at AFL level was HB last year where he really seemed to gain some confidence, but the club has been playing wing.

So fast HB's with good skills are not something we have that we can bank on IMO

We'd get way ****ing more than you're suggesting. You're trading Shai and a top-10 kid for one slightly better and one slightly worse top-10 kid, in an even draft. That's the opposite of plenty. Basically Shai for say Lalor, when we hold all the cards. It's shit-all.
Who is the last contracted elite player to be traded and what did their original club get?

I don't recall any getting 3 first round picks let alone 3 inside the top 10 and something has always gone with the player that was traded.

In the suggestion I made this morning, I could see it being a deal where we kept pick 9 and got 3 & 10 for Bolton outright and IMO that would be fair value. 2 top 10 picks, including a top 3 pick, for a player who wanted out.

But it's all a pipedream because at the moment Bolton has declared that he wants to stay, so unless that changes we can all keep dreaming up fantasy trades that won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back